“Do not go... to this resort isnt worth it.” 3 of 5 stars

You added Casa Marina Reef to your Saves list
Casa Marina Reef
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   El Batey, Sosua, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #28 of 32 hotels in Sosua
“Do not go... to this resort isnt worth it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I dont recommend this resort its awful....lounge chairs are mostly all broke and old...its dirty...under staffed....doesnt have enough bars open....no bar close to pool....theres 2 resorts and u all eat at 1 buffet..fullllll....not as friendly at this resort....lobby is tiny and goes right out to the street and theres bikes constantly zoomin by so smells like diesel...shows stunk and was only a few and were just kids....nothin at all was fancy....the grounds werent even that nice...disappointed .....our ocean view was not even near it....we went to barcelo yr before and it was 10 times nicer and we paid less....beware unless u just want to go uptown and party...most just go uptown....

• Stayed February 2013

1,498 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Wallingford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

First let me start by saying this is a beautiful place. The grounds are well kept and they clean them all the time. The pools are kept clean and they are not very busy. The people that work here are just great. They are very accomedating if they can understand english which I only spoke. They cleaned every day sweepinping and mopping the floors and making beds. I would leave a few bucks for them every day. Even the food was not as bad as people talk about. You had your omlets or cereal or french toast for breakfast along with fruit. But one let down no
D-CAF coffee. They told me it was in the jar next to the big pot ,but it was Nescafe regular coffee.
not d-cafe. Lunches were fine, you could go to the buffet or the Sea food rest. for hamburgs and hot dogs and fries or the buffet for everything else. And if you wanted a beer or wine just ask they will get it for you. The resturants were fine The Italian was good The Sea Food Rest was good. We ate at the buffet the rest og the time. They had a Steak night and a seafood night and a Dominican night and a Mexican night. all pretty good. Now I am not one who will take a picture of dirt on the wall or a bug in the room so I will not complain about that. My complant is simple. I asked for a poolside room a week before we got there by confirming it to them. Our first room was looking at the dump across the street in the back. I refused the room. They got me another for the night and moved me the next day to poolside. the room was simple I mean simple. First no refrigerator,No dressers,no hair dryer,no ice,no soda,no face clothes, and the air did not work good, and 2 double beds. I am a big guy and my fiance and I were not sleeping together. You could refill your water bottles in the hallway from a tap but the water was warm. No ice to be found except at the bar in your drinks. So if you wanted cold water at 11:00PM at night forget it. Weekends were busy I would say alot of local people come for the weekends and stay there. I have read that there was alot of hookers there, but I can't say I saw any. But there are alot of good looking Dominican Ladies that some people might think were but I would say no. If you are looking for alot of intertainment at night this is not the place for you. Other than a few shows put on by the dance group of the Casa Marina which was bad, there was nothing. They could use a CASINO. The disco sucked. All and all we relaxed for the first time in awile and we had fun together, and thats all that counts. In my opinion and we have been here before. The property is great the food is fine the accomidations with the remoldeling sucks. If your funds are low you will be fine. But :Spend the extra cash and go some place where the ammenities are better than here. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2410 on the left side of the pool facing it
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Good location with great nightlife and restaurants close by. Resort food is average with pretty much the same stuff every day, chicken, fish, veggies at the buffet, not very creative but the pasta bar was good. I never bothered to try any of the a-la-carte restaurants. There is lots of variety with reasonable prices in the area though. My room (2166) was great, on the ground floor directly facing the beach with a nice shady patio to sit and enjoy a cold Presidente and a cigar. Nice firm king sized bed, flat screen TV with lots of channels and a fridge to keep cold water in, AC worked great although I had it off most of the time. The maid gave me 2 bottles of water every day but others said they only got water the first day and had to buy it after that. It is a bit run down but overall the grounds and beach are nice and they try to keep it as clean as possible and compared to other places I have been at in the Caribbean it is not that bad.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Spent a week here with my wife. This was the first trip ever for us out of North America, and we knew not to expect North American atandards.

Room - clean, functional and was made up everyday. A/C wasn't working, but they fixed it after i mentioned it. - no complaints

Hotel and Grounds - Amazing grounds, pools, beaches. There are two beaches....one to the left which is more public and one to the right which is private....no vendors. Waves were great to play in and they are generally more rough on the right side....be careful of the crashing waves. Pools were clean and there three of them. Lot of gardens, trees....really nice. There are a few things i noticed....like the sliding door was hard to open, or the tub could use some new cocking, a broken tile. Nothing I was gonna ger to excited about. They had just replaced the matresses and while we were there they were repainting and fixing rooms all week long.

Resturants - I am a meat and potatoes kinda guy. I don't like fancy, or NEW things....and I ate well. Always 3 or 4 types of meat....chicken, beef, pork and fish and each meal they are prepared different. The pork one night was an entire roasted pig stuffed with a grear seasoned rice. Lots of deserts....of all kinds, eclares, cakes, fruit. Food was definitly better then I was expecting. Al a cartes......we tried the mexican and italian.....both were very good. At the mexican resturant....the stuffed pastry......gotta get that for desert...amazing. Snack bar was decent....always had pizza, burgers, hot dogs, fries ect on hand. It was basic but did the trick.

Bars - Not all the bars were open on the resort...i assume becasue they where not at full capacity. but since we spent all of our timeby the beach we had 3 to choose from. The beer was good and the mixed drinks were ok. I am a rum guy.....i didn't care for the rum they had....personal preference thats all. The bar tenders were not shy of pouring the booze. The disco bar was opened the longest....til 1 or 2 depending how busy there were.

Staff - they were great. I can't say one bad thing about them. Poilte, friendly......they treated us very well.

Vendors - if there was one thing i didn't care for...it was the vendors that were allowed on the resort grounds. While walking to dinner....you wouls pass 10 vendors all trying to get your business....and they are good at it. You just gotta be firm and say No...they will get the hint. THey would set up shop 2 or 3 times throughout the week.

Town - This was probalby one of the most enjoyable parts of this resort. It is litterally right in the middle of El' Batey or Sosua. Great night life, cheap drinks....all the bars in town use filtered Bagged ice and purifiled water. Saw with my own two eyes. When we got in Saturday night...it was just after 11pm and when we checked in and got our room we changed and headed into town. We had a few drinks at one club....on to the next for a few more. Drinks around $2. Take the same procautions you would if you were anywhere on holidays.....dont flash money or wear your rolex. We were treated very well when we were downtown.....we spent 2 or three nights downtown.....and checked out the shops during the day.

Activities - I am a cetified scuba diver but hadn't dove in about 8 years. it was something my wife always wanted to try but she was a bit scared. They gave her a 2 hr in pool session and took us out into the ocean on a 2 part dive with a couple other new divers. They had 2 dive masters and a potographer (also a dive master) in the water plus 1 more staff for 5 divers. They were extemely professional and always kept a close eye on my wife and the other new divers. They have 2 dozen dive sites close to the resort.

Overall we had a great time....we met some great new friends and are planning on next years trip together. If your looking for a good time, on a budget this is a good place. If your looking for something a little higher class......keep looking

tip #1 Dinner off the resort. at the front of the resort turn right and head to the first intersection then turn left. Walk about 2 minutes and on the left you will see a great steak and seafood place. The food is amazing, beef is Alberta Certified beef, booze is top shelf. There were 6 of us that had apps, full course meals, 3 drinks per person, the resturant bought another round for us and it came to $330 total. It is better then the KEG restuarant here at home....the portions were larger.....easily a $600 plus dinner

Tip # 2 Take in the town....well worth it. Walk around during the day and get the fell for it. Jolly Rogers, Britania (canadian owned) and Coach's Corner (hocky was playing on the big screen). were all good places to go. Doing this during the day makes it easier to go back at night. Talk to your tiur rep....he can put you into touch with one of the bell hops.....buy them a few drinks and they will be your tour guide for the night.

Room Tip: We were in the middle building on the 3rd floor......after a week....the 2nd floor would have been g...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Portage la Prairie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Have been here 7 times and am going back for the second time this year , The staff are great especially Virginia and Francis. They all smile and treat you special. The grounds are immaculate. The beach is fabulous. If the waves are too rough walk a short walk to the public bay beach. Where else can you have 2 beaches on your resort-and 2 more within walking distance? The water is crystal clear and no rocks to smash you around and sunshine beach time until 6 pm.The waves can be dangerous but use common sense. Red flag means red flag you never turn your back to a wave and must understand the strength of waves otherwise keep out. Oh did I mention 3 pools and 3 whirlpools. Oh and the sights day and night with open air dining overlooking water. Food has lots to choose from and you will not starve. They also have the absolute best fried chicken . Front desk staff are polite and obliging-be nice and remember you are on vacation.Good food off the resort as well at Jolly Rodger, Baileys and Rocky's Ribs. On my way back Monday with more family.Can't get enough of this place!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Charlottetown, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Just got back from the Casa Marina Resort and from check in to check out all was geat! Weather was amazing! Drinks, beer and wine were quite good as well. During meal times you had to get your own drinks, however, the walk was 20 feet from your table at any point. A suggestion is to get to the buffet on time when it opens to get the food while it is nice and hot. Lots of variety and you will not go hungry at all unless you are extremely picky then, if so, stay home. The rooms were great and very comfortable. No bar fridge but then again, go downstairs and get some drinks to take back to your room. Pools were great and soaking pools on the coral reef very nice too to get refreshed after being hot in the sun! Staff were great with service and if you can speak Spanish they appreciate it and it goeas a long way. You will have a great time here if you remind yourself you are not Donald Trump and you are on vacation to relax. If there is no spoon on your table simply go and get another - don't make a big deal of it. Loved the stay and loved the vacation and would return for sure. Be EXTREMELY careful in the water with the waves!!!!!! Peopled ie each year in them due tot he pressure of them crashing in and tumbling you like a rag doll and possibly snapping your neck on the sand. A buddy of ours got extremely hurt and I messed my shoulder thinking it won"t be that bad - well it is and if you seee the red flag up DO NOT think your are beyond getting hurt and stay at the shoreline out of crashing distance of the waves. Definitely check out the local beach and the beach to the right of Sunset Bar on the resort all great to experience.

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool were nice to have an interior view if you cannot get a sea view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I went to this resort last year in March. The weather was absolutely amazing of course until the last day that we left which was not bad at all as there was about 200 people checking in for Easter weekend. Ive never been to a resort before and for the amount that i paid for this trip it was well worth it. Rooms were clean and cleaned on a regular basis. The bathrooms were awesome, very big and clean. Bars at each location and all the bartenders were extremely kind. Pools were very nice but what i didn't like, they closed them very early and who doesn't like a little night time dip?! The hot tubs where amazing looking over the beach. The food was OK. Not amazing but not horrible. I would recommended the Mexican restaurant. All in all my first trip was memorable and i had a fantastic time! Enjoy

Room Tip: Rooms away from the buffet area are a lot quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Marina Reef? Share your experiences!