“Good Getaway for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Casa Marina Reef
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   El Batey, Sosua, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #29 of 32 Hotels in Sosua
London, Ontario, Canada
“Good Getaway for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Spent a week here with my wife. This was the first trip ever for us out of North America, and we knew not to expect North American atandards.

Room - clean, functional and was made up everyday. A/C wasn't working, but they fixed it after i mentioned it. - no complaints

Hotel and Grounds - Amazing grounds, pools, beaches. There are two beaches....one to the left which is more public and one to the right which is private....no vendors. Waves were great to play in and they are generally more rough on the right side....be careful of the crashing waves. Pools were clean and there three of them. Lot of gardens, trees....really nice. There are a few things i noticed....like the sliding door was hard to open, or the tub could use some new cocking, a broken tile. Nothing I was gonna ger to excited about. They had just replaced the matresses and while we were there they were repainting and fixing rooms all week long.

Resturants - I am a meat and potatoes kinda guy. I don't like fancy, or NEW things....and I ate well. Always 3 or 4 types of meat....chicken, beef, pork and fish and each meal they are prepared different. The pork one night was an entire roasted pig stuffed with a grear seasoned rice. Lots of deserts....of all kinds, eclares, cakes, fruit. Food was definitly better then I was expecting. Al a cartes......we tried the mexican and italian.....both were very good. At the mexican resturant....the stuffed pastry......gotta get that for desert...amazing. Snack bar was decent....always had pizza, burgers, hot dogs, fries ect on hand. It was basic but did the trick.

Bars - Not all the bars were open on the resort...i assume becasue they where not at full capacity. but since we spent all of our timeby the beach we had 3 to choose from. The beer was good and the mixed drinks were ok. I am a rum guy.....i didn't care for the rum they had....personal preference thats all. The bar tenders were not shy of pouring the booze. The disco bar was opened the longest....til 1 or 2 depending how busy there were.

Staff - they were great. I can't say one bad thing about them. Poilte, friendly......they treated us very well.

Vendors - if there was one thing i didn't care for...it was the vendors that were allowed on the resort grounds. While walking to dinner....you wouls pass 10 vendors all trying to get your business....and they are good at it. You just gotta be firm and say No...they will get the hint. THey would set up shop 2 or 3 times throughout the week.

Town - This was probalby one of the most enjoyable parts of this resort. It is litterally right in the middle of El' Batey or Sosua. Great night life, cheap drinks....all the bars in town use filtered Bagged ice and purifiled water. Saw with my own two eyes. When we got in Saturday night...it was just after 11pm and when we checked in and got our room we changed and headed into town. We had a few drinks at one club....on to the next for a few more. Drinks around $2. Take the same procautions you would if you were anywhere on holidays.....dont flash money or wear your rolex. We were treated very well when we were downtown.....we spent 2 or three nights downtown.....and checked out the shops during the day.

Activities - I am a cetified scuba diver but hadn't dove in about 8 years. it was something my wife always wanted to try but she was a bit scared. They gave her a 2 hr in pool session and took us out into the ocean on a 2 part dive with a couple other new divers. They had 2 dive masters and a potographer (also a dive master) in the water plus 1 more staff for 5 divers. They were extemely professional and always kept a close eye on my wife and the other new divers. They have 2 dozen dive sites close to the resort.

Overall we had a great time....we met some great new friends and are planning on next years trip together. If your looking for a good time, on a budget this is a good place. If your looking for something a little higher class......keep looking

tip #1 Dinner off the resort. at the front of the resort turn right and head to the first intersection then turn left. Walk about 2 minutes and on the left you will see a great steak and seafood place. The food is amazing, beef is Alberta Certified beef, booze is top shelf. There were 6 of us that had apps, full course meals, 3 drinks per person, the resturant bought another round for us and it came to $330 total. It is better then the KEG restuarant here at home....the portions were larger.....easily a $600 plus dinner

Tip # 2 Take in the town....well worth it. Walk around during the day and get the fell for it. Jolly Rogers, Britania (canadian owned) and Coach's Corner (hocky was playing on the big screen). were all good places to go. Doing this during the day makes it easier to go back at night. Talk to your tiur rep....he can put you into touch with one of the bell hops.....buy them a few drinks and they will be your tour guide for the night.

Room Tip: We were in the middle building on the 3rd floor......after a week....the 2nd floor would have been g...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Portage la Prairie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Have been here 7 times and am going back for the second time this year , The staff are great especially Virginia and Francis. They all smile and treat you special. The grounds are immaculate. The beach is fabulous. If the waves are too rough walk a short walk to the public bay beach. Where else can you have 2 beaches on your resort-and 2 more within walking distance? The water is crystal clear and no rocks to smash you around and sunshine beach time until 6 pm.The waves can be dangerous but use common sense. Red flag means red flag you never turn your back to a wave and must understand the strength of waves otherwise keep out. Oh did I mention 3 pools and 3 whirlpools. Oh and the sights day and night with open air dining overlooking water. Food has lots to choose from and you will not starve. They also have the absolute best fried chicken . Front desk staff are polite and obliging-be nice and remember you are on vacation.Good food off the resort as well at Jolly Rodger, Baileys and Rocky's Ribs. On my way back Monday with more family.Can't get enough of this place!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Charlottetown, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Just got back from the Casa Marina Resort and from check in to check out all was geat! Weather was amazing! Drinks, beer and wine were quite good as well. During meal times you had to get your own drinks, however, the walk was 20 feet from your table at any point. A suggestion is to get to the buffet on time when it opens to get the food while it is nice and hot. Lots of variety and you will not go hungry at all unless you are extremely picky then, if so, stay home. The rooms were great and very comfortable. No bar fridge but then again, go downstairs and get some drinks to take back to your room. Pools were great and soaking pools on the coral reef very nice too to get refreshed after being hot in the sun! Staff were great with service and if you can speak Spanish they appreciate it and it goeas a long way. You will have a great time here if you remind yourself you are not Donald Trump and you are on vacation to relax. If there is no spoon on your table simply go and get another - don't make a big deal of it. Loved the stay and loved the vacation and would return for sure. Be EXTREMELY careful in the water with the waves!!!!!! Peopled ie each year in them due tot he pressure of them crashing in and tumbling you like a rag doll and possibly snapping your neck on the sand. A buddy of ours got extremely hurt and I messed my shoulder thinking it won"t be that bad - well it is and if you seee the red flag up DO NOT think your are beyond getting hurt and stay at the shoreline out of crashing distance of the waves. Definitely check out the local beach and the beach to the right of Sunset Bar on the resort all great to experience.

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool were nice to have an interior view if you cannot get a sea view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I went to this resort last year in March. The weather was absolutely amazing of course until the last day that we left which was not bad at all as there was about 200 people checking in for Easter weekend. Ive never been to a resort before and for the amount that i paid for this trip it was well worth it. Rooms were clean and cleaned on a regular basis. The bathrooms were awesome, very big and clean. Bars at each location and all the bartenders were extremely kind. Pools were very nice but what i didn't like, they closed them very early and who doesn't like a little night time dip?! The hot tubs where amazing looking over the beach. The food was OK. Not amazing but not horrible. I would recommended the Mexican restaurant. All in all my first trip was memorable and i had a fantastic time! Enjoy

Room Tip: Rooms away from the buffet area are a lot quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
L ORIGNAL ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My Wife and I plus three friends went to Casa Marina Beach from Feb 14th to Feb 21st 2013. And yes, we had a fantastic time !!! The rooms are clean with a 27" LCD t.v. Also the view of the beach from our balcony was breathtaking. The food was better than I expected at the buffet and the Mexican and Seafood restaurants had a nice choice on the menu. Sorry we didn't try the Italian restaurant. The resort is 20 minutes from the airport and close to downtown Sosua. We really loved the whirlpools on the top of the coral reef overlooking the mountains and the Atlantic ocean.The 3 beautiful pools on the site each have a charm of it's own. The beach is a great asset to the resort. Some days the waves really do get high and it's not safe to swim. Although the beauty of the waves crashing on the beach and reef is quite the site to see. We all found that the staff in general were nice, polite and helpful. The Palm trees are tall and the grass is green on the site. Also Banana trees and flowers are very common. The night life at the resort is pretty good comparing to many resorts I have been to. All of this for a reasonable price... We rate Casa Marina Beach a solid 4 STAR VACATION !!!!

CHEERS ;)
Marc

Room Tip: All rooms seem nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

MY WIFE AND I WHERE THERE FEB 5 -13/2013 , this vacation was crap , garbage, and we feel ripped off . We were told it was a 1.40 minute bus ride from Samana Airport , try 4 HOURS in a tiny bus arriving to resort@ 1:30 am in the morning, Thirsty and hungry but guess what , EVERYTHING ON RESORT CLOSED ! not even a welcome drink ! our rep even stood us up ! The superior ocean view room was aweful AND VERY RUN DOWN , Black Mold, doors of hinges , filthy bathrooms and bed sheets with brown stains the refuse to change. Feces on towels , broken lamps, no face clothes , hair dryer or fridges .... Hair in creases of bed matress plus stains , Ala cartes unedible , get ready to live out of your suitcase NO DRESSER EITHER ... If you go ask for side of resort not slated for the wrecking ball. Oh and you get 2 litres of water for a week , Customer service is not on there list, AVOID AT ALL COSTS , IF YOU ARE BOOKED < CANCEL WHILE YOU CAN !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingston, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Quick little background, Ive only ever been to resorts in Cuba prior to this...and I was super disappointed.

Hotel:
The front lobby staff do not speak english well but they do try! We arrived about 2:00 in the morning and there was one person working the front desk and one bellboy. The resort is very dark at night as there are no drinks after 1am and no food after 11pm. The resort is quiet during the day and at night but it is right down town so a lot of people go out side of the resort. They go out for various reasons but the most prominent was for the prostitutes. Theres quite a red light district in Sosua and its a very open business. Most of the men on our resort were alone or with other older men and for one reason only...whoopie. If you can get passed that the older people on the resort are fun and love to drink! My boyfriend and I are 28 and we were able to fit right in with some older groups and have a great time!
A lot of gang activity that you can watch right out the front door of the resort. The motocabs are all drug dealers and they all work for the same guy. Yes they will give you an affordable ridee wherever but they will also sell you drugs and make no secrets about it. a lot of activity that most canadians would deem illegal and for some scary.
The resort has beautiful cold jacuzzis in the coral reef on the shore of the ocean. From here you can see the view of Puerto Plata and the mountains. The grounds are well kept, pools are clean (but realllllly cold, too cold to enjoy really). Lots of different excursions to choose from, we did the zip line...more on that later. Although the beqach is beautiful it is rough and dangerous. Be careful.

FOOD:
Its not great honestly. I would say it was a lot like Cuba. Regular stuff like pasta and meat stations...egg station for breakfast...amazing coffee. The snack bar is pretty good though and is open from like 12-4 i think!
The resort is right in the midst of very good local food though and bars owned and operated by Canadians! Most of the pubs downtown also have wifi.

EXCURSIONS:
They have a fairly good variety, Zip Lining, Cliff Jumping, 4wheeler rentals, mopeds or motorcycles, catamaran.
|We zip lined. Basically in this zip lining exursion the hook ups were fashioned so you had to stop yourself with a gloved hand by pulling down on the line. Well on the longest, fastest and steepest line i did NOT stop. Why? Because my glove malfunctioned...thank God my boyfriend went before me and threw his body in front of me.
On a happy note...you get to go into a forest of small squirrel monkeys. they are absolutely incredible and adorable. you get to feeed them while they crawl all over you. Amazing! The views are also incredible! This place is also owned by english speaking people. UM BIG PROBLEM they didnt feed us ALL day...an 8 hour day and not a drop of food. Ridiculous

Seemed to meet a lot of Canadians or Americans living in Sosua or near by. Apparently a 1-2 bdrm apmt in a gated community is about 2-3000 per YEAR...cheap living.

ENTERTAINMENT:
Just awful. None of the dancers know the routines except for a few and they clearly stand out. The group never practices on the resort during the day like other resorts ive been to. Its a big mess. HOWEVER what they lack in dancing they make up for in acting! haha some of their skits are priceless comedy! I was thoroughly entertained but perhaps for the wrong reasons.

DRINKS:
Like I said, no booze after 1am...its a drag. I enjoy drinking...so..it didnt work too well for me. The drinks were good though and didnt make me sick at all. Good variety, good beer.

ROOMS:
WOW talk about MINIMAL. No fridge at all. The safe is 15 bucks for the week. I gave the cleaning lady D&G perfume, a dress and make up and the second day she didnt even make the bed. I was livid. The rooms carry all the sound from the hallways...every door that opens and closes you can hear as if its your own room...its pretty weird.
Domicans come onto the resort when they want if they can afford it...which in comparison to Cubans they live damn well.

BEWARE of the hustlin' on the street because I have never in my life been so put off by hagglers. They are on you like flies on ****. We ate a meal on the beach in Cabarete...and I wont even lie yto you.,,..at least 50 people approached us endlessly wanting us to buy their junk. It was so insulting.

I wont return to this place, but if you do send me a message if you have any questions!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Marina Reef? Share your experiences!