“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Useful Information: Activities for older children
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

At Rancho Lobo Gris, just about an hour inland from Sosua, the health and wellbeing of the horses is the first concern, which is a very good thing and is not the case at all the ranchos. What's more: they also take in neglected or abused horses and take care of them. Simona, the German manager, has been there for about 10 years already and knows everything about every horse. Apart from this she is also a very good people manager and she will connect you with the horse that suits you. We spent a day at the rancho, visited the waterfalls on the property and took a ride over the tops of the mountains, with breathtaking views. Also for the non-experienced rider this was a great day. The athmospere was informal, the schedule flexible and the service very personal (since it was only the 2 of us). Antonio, who takes care of the horses, and Melania, who cooks a nice Dominican lunch, are very sweet too. A must do if you stay in the Sosua/Puerto Plata/ Cabarete area. Simona will pick you up from Sosua in her fourwheeldrive for a scenic drive to the rancho.

Visited October 2012

London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Dont miss the wonderful experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This ranch deserves it 5 star rating. If you are looking for an exceptional experience off the beach in DOminican, this is it. Simona is an excellent guide, she is knowledgable and clearly loves her animals -- I have not seen such well cared for or well trained horses at any other "tourist riding" location and I try to go as often as possible. The horses were well feed, happy, well trained and perfect for the terrain--into the jungle, down crevasses, aceross the river, etc. And this tour is excellent for experienced riders and beginnings. I went with a friend who had never ridden a horse before and we both enjoyed the trip completely! In addition to the beauty of the Dominican country side, you also get to experience cliff jumping and ziplining into the most gorgeous fresh water pools. Next time, I would definitely book a night or 2 at the gorgeous ranch house, si could ridse, swim, and explore. An amazing alternative to the beach, an exceptional experience for all ages and all levels of riders.

Visited October 2012
Florida
“Wonderful horses, scenery and staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I recently had the opportunity to spend a half-day at Rancho Lobo Gris while traveling in the Puerto Plata area. I found the ranch by reading reviews on this site and it turned out to be even better than I hoped. Very few things in life can live up to that kind of expectation and this place certainly does.

The woman who manages the ranch, Simona, picked us up in downtown Sosua and drove us back to the ranch which was about an hour drive into the mountains. After acquainting us with our horses, she gave us some riding instruction as my husband and I have had little experience with horses. Then we were off for a trail ride around the 150 acre ranch. The property is absolutely beautiful and was surprisingly breezy and comfortable for a sunny summer day. There are times when the horses are walking in a line simply due to the size of the path, but most of the journey is more open and much more dynamic than a typical trail ride for novice riders. We were even able to roam freely around a large treeless area to get the horses up to gallop speed if we felt comfortable trying it. At no point did I feel unsafe or afraid as Simona and Antonio, the other ranch staff rider, made me feel secure with their knowledge and instruction.

One of the highlights of the afternoon was when we arrived at the waterfall on the property and were able to zipline to the swimming area. It was so much fun and quite refreshing after riding for several hours. My only regret is that we didn't plan to spend the entire day or several days there. We enjoyed it so much that we are considering a trip to their other property in Colorado for more horseback riding. If you are considering horseback riding while in the Dominican Republic, you will not be disappointed with this place. The price is very reasonable, the staff is terrific, and the horses seem quite healthy and happy.

Visited August 2012
Suwanee, Georgia
“Well Worth It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Our family had a wonderful time on our day trip to the Rancho Lobo Gris. One aspect we enjoyed so much was the variety of the experience...horseback riding with excellent guides, amazing view of God's creation, diving from the cliff and the zipline. The affordable price was also apprecitated. We would certainly recommend this attraction to others! Thanks for a great time Simona, Antonio and the boys!

Visited August 2012
Dominican Republic
“Experience of a life time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Daniel was awesome! I always had a fear of horses until I met Daniel and his family at the ranch. An experience I'll never forget!