“Wonderful Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Casa Cayena

Save Saved
You added Hotel Casa Cayena to your Saves list
Hotel Casa Cayena
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Dr Rosen, No 25 | El Batey, Sosua, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Super Saver Rate
Ranked #4 of 33 hotels in Sosua
San Antonio, Texas
“Wonderful Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

When I go to Sosua it is only one place I stay Casa Cayena. It is not a 5 star hotel, but they have all the basics that you need. If you are looking to go on a romantic vacation with your wife then this is not the place. If you are going with your "Homies" on a guy's week out! Then this is the place to go. The staff is not only friendly but super nice. My room was cleaned very well. I would prefer the safe to be placed back in the rooms, but they allow me the use it for free behind front desk. It is right next to the beach so the walk is short. Me and my friends will continue to stay at this hotel. We know all the staff by there first name, and the know us as well. Their restaurant will make all your meals to order. If you ask they will arrange transpo to and from the airport. Good Job Casa Cayena!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

149 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

My friends and I have been to the Dominican Republic about 10 times. We have stayed at Cayena at lkeast 6 times. Last trip we stayed at New Garden which was excellent. The staff at Cayena is very friendly and asked us to come back to Cayena for our next trip, which we did. We were a little disappointed in the quality of the hotel, some new policies and some of the staff.

First, I rented one of the Bungalows which is suppose to be a better than average room. I will say that the new TV was nice but when the power goes out for the wall outlets and the night security guard doesn't know how to reset it it is useless. This happened on my last night. In addition I had no lights in the bathroom and the fridge had no power. Just the last night this was a problem.

The A/C in this room was not very cold. At no point was my room very cold where I needed to turn the A/C down. The A/C was at MAX and still could not make the room comfortable. I asked the front desk to fix on day 1, they sent a handyman but he could not solve the problem. It may need freon or may need to be replaced.

The fridge also was not very cold. I think that because they unplug the fridge after every stayit takes too long to get gcold enough. By day 3 it was at a good level. Either DON'T UNPLUG the fridge or plug it in the day before you know a guest will arrive. It probably cost more in electricity to keep plugging in the fridge and having it draw so much power to get back to a cold level than if you just left it always plugged in. They are energey efficient so once at a cold level they do not take much power to remain cold.

The safe lock boxes were a big problem. Having them at the front desk is a bad idea. I know that there have been problems in the past where guests left their safe open in their room and money was taken by a girl but for the few people that this effects it causing a burden for the rest of us. It is actually less secure now for us because you now must leave the girl in the room alone to get money from the safe or put money into the safe. Also the safe room closes at 11pm which means that if you come back after 11pm with a girl you have no place to secure your money and items which allows the girl to steal it from you when you sleep. Also if you are drunk and open the safe and leave it unlocked now every guest and employee has access to it. If it was in my room oonly me and my girls would have access to it. It is a real bad idea.

The shower is very slippery and the soap dish is sloped down and the soap will not stay and falls out. I told them about this problem 2 years ago when I stayed in this same room but they have not corrected it. The floor needs a non slip coating or matting. I'm surprised no one has fallen.

The WiFi does not work in all rooms and only in a certain part of my room.

The menu has a price for a Pina Colada for 100 pesos and describes the drink with rum but they try to charge an additional 50 pesos if you ask foir rum. They don't understand that Rum is included in the description of the item.

While in the pool the wait staff doesn't come around to see if you want anything and you must get out of the pool and try o get their attention. They should be checking on the guests to make sure everthing is good.

All in all the hotel is not bad but it needs some minor improvements. In general the staff is very nice and helpful but do not solve all of the problems that arise. There needs to be a manager on site who can ensure that all issues are resolved as soon as possible. If they are not by the end of the stay we leave with a bad taste in our mouths and may look to stay elsewhere next trip.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
bergamo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

The location is very good, near the beach and many bars, restaurants and discotheque. It is a cheap hotel, the room was old and very simple. The A/C is very noisy and the swimming pool too: it is difficult to sleep there. Good breakfast. No frills hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
union nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

I tell you Alina and her staff did a wonderful job again i just return from the Casa on March 14,2010 and what a great experence to all that work at the Casa Cayena Thanks and trust me i will be back. Brian in Union N.J.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
East Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

Stayed 1/14/10 - 1/19/10. Excellent customer service, great breakfast. The only negative is that the safes are not in the room, but are located in the managers office , you can access the safe from 7am -11pm. The safes should be located in the room, it is inconvenient to have to go to the lobby everytime you want to use your safe. I would stay again, but the safes need to be located in the rooms.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

This is a fantastic place to stay, clean spacious rooms, good food, reasonable rates. I had an unfortunate event occur my travelling companion passed away, and the hotel Manager Alina, was a god send. She helped me with all the arrangements, from travel to Santiago, set me up in hotels where i had to journey. She picked me up drove me around in her personal car, translated for me. Helped me at the hospital, morgue, funeral home, at the embassy. Let me use her personal cell phone for all my phone calls ...... many back to the states. I cant say enough good for this hotel. I Highly Recommend.

washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

I have taken many trips to Sosua, and each time I've stayed at Hotel Casa Cayena. The hotel is very clean, the staff is very attentive, & the food is excellent. They are centrally located in the city.....walking distance to the beaches, restaurants and night clubs. Absolutely the best place to stay in Sosua.

• Stayed April 2009

Been to Hotel Casa Cayena? Share your experiences!