“WONDERFUL!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Sosua
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“WONDERFUL!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

its not a five star hotel, and with that said i can start my review.
My husband and I were there for a week for our anniversary by the end of february - 2 march... All i can say is I LOVED IT! Considering its not a five star hotel, to me its really good for its price.
- First of all, Food:
The buffet is ok, they always have something ull like, breakfast was delicious, my husband an i loved it, the snack bar food is ok, and dinner was good also. A la carte restaurants were very nice as well.
- Rooms:
They still have to improve them, and thats why theyre closing for. Rooms are ok, beds are very comfortable, but as I said the rooms need some improvements like the mini bar and a hair dryer. But its whatever since it wasnt so important to me. Bathroom is ok, clean, and never lack hot water. :)
- Hotel:
BEAUTIFUL!
Its a very romantic place, super recommended to couples, families and anyone else...
Super nice, big clean pools, a lot of space everywhere, a lot of places to sit down and relax. nice beach but a little bit too strong lol, a lot of bars. And the best, not extremely big but not small either ... :D
There are 3 jacuzzis next to the reef. At night you can relax next to the reef at the bar, or just laying down watching the waves, same on the beach. To sum up, We loved the place!
- Staff:
Theyre funny, FRIENDLY, nice, kind, helpful... Theyre always up to help u, make u smile, or just talk about a random topic. We had a lot of fun with them and made our stay better.
- Service at the lobby:
One day we had a problem, the smell of cigarrette from others rooms was getting into our room through the AC; and they send someone right away to put something on the AC and we never smell it again. So I can say they work.
- Enterteiment:
Nice. we liked it. And the post-show at the marlins bar next to the buffet was super cool too. we laughed so much.
- Location:
Its located in a great place of Sosua, outside the resort u have LOTS of stores, a bank, lots of restaurants, clubs, everything!... We love chips so we went to buy some in the supermarket Playero, 5 minutes walking.
If you like snorkeling, scuba diving, tours, ect ect They have plenty of things to do. So dont worry..
We tried the banana boat, we went to Teleferico in Puerto Plata, and we went to Lifestyle Holiday Vacation Club for a daypass. We were in the V.I.P beach and it was a very nice experience.

Conclusion...
I think te price was the best because this resort really exceeds my expectations.

Will I go back? DEFINITELY.
Ps. Keep in mind its not a 5 star resort and youll be good.

Keep the good job Casa Marina!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Polish first
Moncton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

been to casa marina 2 times & both times was not let down. The service is intimate, they remember you in the restaurants & have a table ready with your favorite drink (mine was a cold beer in a chilled glass) the staff was very friendly & the vendors not pushy. just outside the hotel & you're downtown sosua so lots to do & see. it's close to a supermarket, drugstore & the public beach where there are lots of vendors. They are fun to deal with & very helpful & friendly. We stayed at a different hotel this year & was not impressed with a 5* The casa is small but friendly. The food was great & plenty of it. Beer was cold, entertainment was fun. Will always go back to Casa marina when we go back to Dominican. As for people complaining that they let in locals on weekends, I live near a casino in Canada & if people complained I was using it on the weekends I would flip!! They are most welcome to come if they are lucky enough to afford it as the economy is poor. As for the hookers, they may be there but even they are friendly. I had quite a few laughs with them. I go there to interact with locals, see how they live & work, not hang about with americans or canadians who complain. All in all this is the place for us, small friendly safe & a great bang for your buck. Enjoy all & see ya at the casa marina beach & reef resort, hopefully this Sept/oct (2013)

Room Tip: we had an upper floor corner room with 2 balconies over looking the ocean & the pool area. Lovel...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I cant say enough about this hotel,the landscape and all vegetation was very well kept,lots of beautiful palm trees...food was ok,we always found something to eat..room was spotless everyday,no bugs in my room,tv worked well..entertainment was wonderful!!! i stayed in the dominican last yr at a different resort and managed to sneek into this one to see the great entertainment! The activity staff were the best ive seen in 30 yrs! The restaurant staff were always happy and friendly! I celebrated my 60th birthday while on vacation and the hotel staff made a huge deal about it all day..really make you feel so special...beach is clean and pretty! I will go bk to this hotel again next yr. Loved it!

Room Tip: garden view,bottom floor by the main pool,
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed from the 5th to the 12th of feb 2013 , i have to say the beach ranked up there with varadero yes its small but we never had a problem getting a chair and had a great time playing in the waves and just lazing around. The food wasn't bad i always found food to eat breakfast is always the same food but how much variety can you do its breakfast. lunch and supper were good they did repeat some things but they were tasty so i didnt mind i ate a ton of chicken and they have heinz ketchup a huge bonus :). We ate at the mexican and italian a la carte, i had a burrito at the mexican my wife had chicken both were tasty, at the italian i had raviolli and my wife had the pizza we both enjoyed the food, if you dont find the food good you can hit up bailey's just outside the resort 100m to the right of the main entrance it was 2 bucks for fries and 10 bucks for a canadian style peperoni pizza. The whole town is filled with ex pats so you wont starve and its safe as far as i could see I walked around without a problem just had to tell some vendors no thanks but dont be rude just be polite and they will leave you alone. The room was not too bad standard room but had really small ants in the bathroom i have been to the dominican before and have seen them in another resort and talking to a couple that stayed in punta cana had them as well the rest of the room was cleaned daily and done very well, when we first got there our key card didnt turn on half the lights dont bother calling the front desk walk up, there are 2 of them one at the main entrance where you get dropped off and the other in the east end of the resort, they sent a maintanence guy right up to fix the problem. The restaurant staff was friendly as well as the bartending staff we would tip them 50 pesos a meal for their work which is only about 1.50 canadian. you can get wireless internet throughout the resort its $30 US a week not bad considering i paid 28 euro a day in German, they give you a password and you can use this on 1 computer you sign up at the front desk and pay when you check out they have other options 1 day 2 etc., you do get 30min free in the lobby if you dont bring your computer or tablet. they do have safes in the rooms they are $15 US for the week you get the lock and key at the front desk and then return it when you check out. We did surfing through marothel tours they are located on the resort next to the main buffet if you turn on chanel 8 they have an advertisement it was 50 bucks each we were picked up by INO and driven to hideway beach just outside cabarete where we did some instruction for 20 min then to the ocean for some 1 on 1 instruction my wife and I had a blast, you can book online with other tour operators but it works out to the same price as booking with marothel. as far as people saying tv wasnt available in english there are english chanels/shows the commercials are in spanish but shows like NCIS were in english i watched the discovery channel and learned how they smelt aluminum lol they are the higher channels. Overall we had a good time this was my second time to the Dominican and i would stay here again, i quit smoking about a year ago and have a hightened sniffer for smokes never had an issue no matter where you go in the carribean its the same people smoke everywhere didnt bother me so i didnt think it was bad at all. there are vendors on the resort every night and they rotate guy A will be there day 1 then 4 , 6 etc you can bargain with them but there are stores just outside the resort that you can haggle with too for a better price. the resort convenience store was the most reasonable one of all my trips except sunscreen buy it at home. We didnt search out the nightly entertainment we did karaoke one night but after playing in the water and golfing we just wanted to relax. other info , they do use the same 110-120 V as home but plugs are generally not grounded so if you do have a 3 pronged plug on your laptop it may not fit they do have some plugs that are 3 plug but probably dont have a ground attached. cabs to cabarete 30 US , Puerto Plata 60 US ,Punta Cana 300 US Playa Dorada Golf Course 50 US this is for up to 6 people. The airport is only a 10 min drive from the resort. The seafood restaurant has fries dogs and burgers from 12-4 daily and the resort map has changed restaurant wise the mexican and italian are near the front desk by the ampitheatre in the same area just each has half the building. the seafood is closer to the beach now. the jacuzzi's by the reef part are refreshingly cold. I would also suggest travel mugs for your drinks unless you want to hang out by the bar.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Let me start off by saying I am originally from the Dominican Republic. I travel outside of the USA 2-3 times a year. I stayed in this resort once before in 2009 and just went back in Feb 2013. I rented 5 rooms for our family and stayed 6 days.

ROOMS
The rooms are very worn down even compare to previous stay. There are no locks on the door except for handle key lock. The only thing that the rooms come with are 2 bottles of water (which aren't replaced), a TV, and the bathroom amenities. There was a big closet but not much on the way of drawers and the A/C in some of the rooms weren't very good. Hot water was warm but not hot and in our room there was barely any water pressure but think that's because the shower head is clogged up. The beds were decent and the rooms were cleaned everyday. Didn't spend much time in the rooms so not to worried about what was missing.

FOOD
There were definitely a lot less food options in the buffet than our previous states. I would say there are about 10 different options during each meal plus the pasta/salad/bread stations. We were a group of 11 and always found plenty of food to eat and the food was good. The deserts were very repetitive, almost the same ones for the entire stay, and there were about 5-6 options. The only disappointing thing was the lack of options especially compared to other resorts, but the food itself tasted fine.

BARS
There is a bar near the pool, one near the beach, snack bar, buffet area. The drinks were fine (try the mama juana), but you might want to bring your own cup because they server everything in small plastic cups.

GROUNDS
The resort is beautiful and always clean. The closest bar to the pool is about a minute walk, but it's not right by the main pool. The pools (think there are3) are always clean, and there are also 3 more smaller pools (jacuzzis with cold water) overlooking the ocean. The lobby is very small so not much room to just hangout at the lobby. The internet access can be found here, there are 4 computers (think just 2 work) but had no issue with the connection speed like I usually have at other resorts.

ENTERTAINMENT
This was the best part of the vacation. The animation staff did a great job during the day. these guys work 16 hour days with only a day and a half off during the week. Please actually try to participate in the activities. Why go on vacation to lock yourself in the room or just lay in a pool chair? We participated in almost every activity they had, won tons of prizes. We had a blast with the entire animation staff. Also, we took the free bike riding tour which happens every morning at 10, that was a very good experience. The bikes are also available for free all day, but i would suggest you do the tour with them instead. The only thing disappointing with the entertainment is the nightly shows. They were pretty boring especially compare to other all inclusive resorts. Most involved karaoke or singing performances. I'm used to seeing shows or competitions (e.g. men versus women, etc..) but none of that here. I'm assuming that's because no one participates from the audience so they had to limit what kind of nightly shows they do.

LOCALS
Had no issue with vendors harassing us. They do come on property a few times a week but just simply tell them no thanks and they leave you alone (do yourself a favor don't buy anything from them everything is at least 3 times the price you can buy it for outside). We didn't see an issue with the local population that comes on the weekend. We saw a few but nothing crazy like i've read in other reviews. You will see here and there some prostitutes walking around with tourist, but they dress just like everyone else and don't bother anyone. If it wasn't for the fact they look dominican walking around with older tourist you wouldn't know they were prostitutes.

OUTSIDE
This is the main reason (besides price) that we picked this resort. There is an actual neighborhood outside of the resort and it is safe to walk around (not by yourself). There are plenty of places to shop. I would suggest you do the bike tour so you can see around the neighborhood so that later on you can walk to these places. If you come out of the resort, across the street there is a baseball field which usually has a game. To the right is a few shops, and ice cream place. If you make a left at the ice cream place and walk down 2 blocks you'll end up in the club areas where it is pure craziness at night (not bad). Instead of making a left at the ice cream place you keep walking straight down 2 more blocks and then make a less you'll end up in a downhill area (close the the casino they promote). This area has a good amount of shops, but the hidden gem is if you continue to go down the hill (maybe 3 minute walk) you end up in a public beach. This beach is beautiful and has maybe over 50 shops/restaurants. This was a nice hidden gem which we missed first time we came.

Overall the vacation was great, but keep in mind you get what you pay for. So how can you expect a 4-5 star hotel paying less than $115 a day all inclusive for 2 people (if you're paying more than that your travel agent should get fired).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Holte, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The hotel is worned down, but that is nothing compared to the restaurant.
I cannot remember ever before having stayed a place with such lousy food, I would not even serve this to my dog.
The rooms are OK, the pool area too except for some very young and noisy entertainers engaged by the hotel, but nothing at all can make it up for the food - mashed beans, mashed platains and meat of indeterminate origin.
The only eatable food was pasta, but 6 days in a row??
The wine tasted like a wasteproduct from anti-freeze liquid.
The staff in the reception was unfriendly and not at all service-minded - a bunch of men more busy with chit-chatting each other than serving the customers
My advise? - Stay away ....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Trenton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

No complaints here. Staff, food , accommodations, amenities all were wonderful. There are rude tourists but they are everywhere you go and some people aren't happy and satisfied no matter where they go. I don't like cigarette smoke and drunken behavior but I just moved away from them and found a peaceful spot. Never had a problem. I was very happy with everything here and will be returning very soon.

Room Tip: No elevators so if you were on a higher floor you might get tired of climbing stairs esp. with lugga...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Marina Beach? Share your experiences!