“Bit of a let down for Dominican” 3 of 5 stars

Gran Caribe Juan Dolio
Juan Dolio Beach, Juan Dolio, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Birchington, United Kingdom
“Bit of a let down for Dominican”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The hotel was a hell of a long way from the airport. I would never make that mistake again. Expensive transfers plus long drive (90 minutes). I was disappointed at how we were treated there: "if you pay more money you can upgrade". I think we paid enough already! Taxi to anywhere expensive from hotel. This was my 2nd trip to Dominican Republic. The fact that we had to pay £10 each to get in and then £20 to get out again means that this will be the last time I spend any money there. Sometimes it does no good to be greedy!

• Stayed April 2013

Couples
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

I went there july 2004. It was great. I was upgraded to a beachfront room.the food was great the staff were wonderful. Come out of thehotel and make a right. There is a shopping area with a travel agent there, she is european. She gave me tips on how to go to La Romana cheap. I came out to the road and took a bus to La Romana and from there took a taxi to another place I forget the name now. Its where Michael Jackson got married. Its was very safe. I bough a lot of art work outside the hotel - very cheap. its better to swim in the morning through the afternoon as bu evening the tide comes in and brings in a lot of seaweed.
In the night the activites can be quite loud.
I went to some of the restaurants and the food was good but the biffet is equally good

• Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2005

I loved the trip to the dominican republic and i loved the resort im also planing on going this year some time to the same hotle and everything. The dominicvan republic is a beautiful place to go and as i said you will enjoy the dominian republic and the grand caribe resort as much as i did and if someone who went to ths hotle and didnt like it they must be out of their minds it was beautiful and enjoyfull i loved it.

• Stayed July 2004
montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2005

I have been to many resorts and cruises, and I have to say out of all the resorts Ive been to, this was the best one. This place is way better than cuba, dont even hesitate between the 2, go to dominican republic.

This hotel is very clean and very close to the ocean so that at night when you just want to sit around, you alway hear the waves. The rooms are huge and clean, the food was very good considering I am very difficult and use to cruises (the food on ships is amazing) but it was very good and I had no problems whatsoever digesting it, since this was my main concern. I prefered the buffet to the a la carte restorants.

the beach is very clean, they clean the sand everyday. The water has rocks in it so BRING water shoes, you must or else you will buy some from the vendors. Its very rocky and you cant really go barefoot. But the water is a beutifull color!

The vendors are extremely anoying, ignore them and negociate alot with them. Wait till the last day of vacation, they drop a third of the price.

Its a very safe place and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2005

First Iwould like to say I have stayed at many many all inclusives, a good many of which were 5 star and enjoyed none of them as much as Gran Caribe.

We met some fantastic Maritimers and even some folks from our home town and had a ball. The food was great,(very Canadianized) and the entertainment also very Canadianized.

There was Country Western night, Karaoke night, B B Q with dance on the beach night, etc.
\
We were so busy having fun we never did get around to booking the a la carte restaurants. The buffet was also themed each night. Chinese night,
Mexican night, Italian night, etc. Very nicely done with lots of regular food also if you didnt like the theme.

The beach hamburger shop was nice at noon, with always a breeze.\

My daughter had an accident at the pool on our last day and dislocated her shoulder. She was taken by hotel staff immediately to the hospital(clinic)
nearby. What service. The Doctors were fantastic and the clinic
immaculate. There was one young man there who spoke english very well and he sat by my daughter who was terrified and talked to her.

The gentleman from the hotel stayed with her and stroked her head and whiped away her tears and even blew her nose. She is 32 by the way.

He is the head of security at the hotel and couldnt have been nicer.
When I tried to give him a little thank you in the form of cash he almost had a fit . What a man.

He lugged the girls to the hospital then the other daughter back to the hotel to get me then both of us back again and then came and got us after the daughter woke up. Also in the meantime the hotel is checking on everything and the other daugther got a call from go travel direct to see if there was anything they could do.

Thank heaven we were there when it happened because I cant imagine everything as well anyplace else, including here in our own city.

Service was very prompt. If you reported something like a slow toilet or and burned out light, you were guaranteed it was fixed before you went back to your room.

There is only one pool but it is very long and is almost sectioned off. There is the pool bar area and the swimming area with vollyball and basket ball in the pool and at the far end there is a more shallow end for children. There is also a separate whirl pool section.

Everyone was very friendly and as it is not an extremely large resort by the end of the week you were on a hello basis with just about everyone as they all seemed to congregate around the pool or on the beach.

Wonderful food, wonderful people, wonderful staff, wonderful booze, wonderful entertainment. remember, nothing fancy but very nice.

• Stayed April 2005
canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2005

For people going to the Grand Caribe Resort I feel sorry for you. I spent hard earn money on that!!!!! I was very very dissappointed with this resort. The rooms are smelly, carpets are wet the food wasn't the greatest the staff made fun of us in there language. The A La Carte Restaurant reservations required but you can't be in a hurry we where served 1/2 hour pass our reserved time. They have a serious plumbing problem very little hot water no hairdryers in the rooms like they tell you in the brochure the elevators don't work properly half the time it takes longer for woman to get their drinks than men why????? Do not go on the Santa Domingo trip not worth the money they are asking. The Outback Safari was good we enjoyed that very much but as for the rest of our trip very dissapointing. I have travelled to the Dominican twice so far this was my third trip and beleive you me never again.

montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2005

I just got back from a week trip to Gran Caribe Hotel in La Romana - We have opted to take the Malaria medication, my kids (15 and 19) are still taking them for the remainder of the preventive treatment but I opted to stop... I have not seen a single mosquito in La Romana at the Gran Caribe. By the way the week was great! the hotel was excellent price/value ratio. We were a group of 8 ( 4 adults and 4 teenagers) we had a very good time.. none of us had upset stomach, tourista or anything like that.. we brought bottled waters from Canada and we stayed away from tap water (even to brush our teeth) we carried Purel (antibacterial soap - no water required) in small handy bottles and we used as often as we could. We ate almost everything - I personnally stayed away from ice cubes in my drinks - the 7 other in my group didn't bother to do that and they were fine. The food at the Italian restaurant is worthy of 5 stars... the entertainement ( we had a band from Quebec) was a delight specially the last night at the Beach Party with fire by the sea - the rooms are OVERSIZED - only thing this hotel has to change very quickly is the carpet and update the washrooms in the room... Pretty clean overall - the Belgian Chef was the reason you felt confident about cleanliness... Before every buffet or serving you could see him doing a round checking everything making remarks if need be, he made sure hands were washed, ranges and grills clean as a whistle ...and they were. I booked my trip with Go Travel Direct - The people were extremely friendly and helpful... thanks a lot to Tina our rep at the hotel she would go the extra mile for you. Zoom airlines were a pleasant surprise! Nice big planes, good services and ON TIME!!! to the minute, we even left La Romana on our way back 10 minutes earlier. Go Travel were organized with buses and stuff on the way back. One glitch though... we were told that for $25 extra per person we would be upgraded to first class and get free drinks... well the upgrade was good but we had to pay for our drinks - we were told it were misinformed. Attention: Zoom airlines are subcontracted by Go Travel so make sure the information you are getting is from each source, they do not follow each others rule...

Been to Gran Caribe Juan Dolio? Share your experiences!