“Would not recommend as a place to stay” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Albatros Club Resort

You added Albatros Club Resort to your Saves list
Albatros Club Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Avenida Boulevard, Villas del Mar, Juan Dolio, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Orlando, Florida
“Would not recommend as a place to stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2014

We received a week stay because we attended a 90 minute presentation at Club Wyndham. Because the Albatros is located in D. R. (a place my wife has wanted to take me) checked their web site and we got very excited about the location, what was offered and of course the pictures that were posted. We decided that would be place to go for our 25th anniversary, so we booked the room. Upon our arrival at the airport my wife's brother picked us up and drove us to the hotel. When we left the airport it was dark, which made it hard for him to find the place, even with the directions from their web site & the GPS on his phone. I will say the place looked really nice when you first enter the property, lobby, pool/hot tub area, etc.. Attitude of the staff on duty was excellent. After checking-in is when it went downhill. Our room in the last building, on the 4th floor, elevator was not working & I am disabled. After making it up the stairs I noticed that many doors were left wide open as they were in the process of being remodeled, which brought safety concerns to my mind. The room itself was clean, but outdated, old style TV and A/C that didn't work. Informed the front desk that room was not acceptable. We were informed there was nothing they could do that night, but maybe in the morning. The restaurant manger was there and offered a free meal as an incentive to stay. We declined as we kept telling them I am disabled and that room will not work for us. After spending the night at my Brother-in-Law house we went back and still satisfactory arrangements could not be made. After returning to Florida I went to Wyndham's Corporate Headquarters and told them what the place was like and they seemed indifferent and really didn't care. They did not want my name or phone to follow-up as to what took place or what the actual condition of the property was. Finally, due safety concerns, accessibility for disabled (no place on web site to request/inform them about a disability), distance from Santo Domingo (approximately 1+ hours), and lack of interest at corporate headquarters means I would not return or recommend this place for anybody to stay.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

We came to this resort for a week. We walked in and went to our room and our doorknob was broken and hanging from it's hinge. After much confusion and resistance, management gave us a room that had no air conditioning and was filled with tarantulas and crabs. No breakfast was offered. Their website lies! No casino nor spa were present. This resort sucks! Our shower head shot off and knocked out our daughter. We had to rush her to the local hospital and had her treated for a minor concussion. The pool is so dirty you can't see below your neck. The tiki bar offers a wide variety of outdated and spoiled juices accompanied by toast that was so dry, my wife almost choked on it. The restaurant was only open one hour per day and only offered food that was not washed with clean water and completely overpriced. The hallways were overflowing with cockroaches and bags of defecation-filled toilet paper. Everything at the resort is slimy and the patio floors are coated in ants. Our toilet overflowed in the middle of the week and flooded our bathroom. When we told management, they laughed at us in Spanish! The resort has no beach access and we had to walk through an abandoned hotel next door to access the beach's beer bottle and dirty diaper filled shore. Three out of the six nights we stayed at the alba trash, we heard spiritual chanting coming from the abandoned third floor. We also smelled burning hair and heard bloodcurdling screams that night. My children were horrified and cried into my bosom until they fell asleep. The demonic chanting finally stopped, but the nightmares had only begun. My children are currently in therapy for anxiety-related problems that emerged after our stay in this Hell-hole. This resort has destroyed my family and left an ink stain on all of our lives. Please... NEVER STAY HERE!!

Stayed July 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Pros:
You have a great view of the ocean. There is a constant breeze blowing. You can hear the ocean hitting the rocks from your room. All rooms have a balcony area where you can sit outside.

Nice large pool with many chairs to sit on. It is just deep enough to swim in.
It does have a restaurant. All the dishes I had, from ceviche to lobster were very good and reasonably priced. It does have a mini mart.
You are not far from the Catalina and Soana isles. I recommend taking one of the trips offered by the local cruise companies. The launch point is in La Romana. I did take the trip to Catalina island. I have a separate review on it.
I do commend the entertainment staff, they are energetic and do shows at night Saturday and Sunday, there are also activities throughout the day on the weekends.

You are supposed to get a 5 gallon of water free for the first week of your stay. It is 65 pesos per 5 gallon afterward. No smoking on the grounds, but I do see ashtray type stands around the resort.

There is a ATM in the middle of the town, 5000.00 rd max at a time

Cons:
The restaurant only open from 12 to 3 and 7 to 10. It is cash only, no credit cards.
The elevator was not working, and I doubt it has for a very long time. It likely went out during a hurricane or tropical storm surge and never recovered. From looking at how none of the rooms are used on the first floor, I feel the construction of the albatross was done before the rule of building with parking in ground level and all rooms on 2nd level and above was in force. Luckily I was on the second floor for the flight of stairs.
Wifi and internet connectivity was very intermittent. Sometimes you get it and other times you do not. There is no internet café in the town of Juan Dolio, the closest I saw was Boca Chica, about 30 kilometers down the road. You can get wifi at some of the restaurants in the town.

No phones in the room, thought this was kind of wierd.

No breakfast at the resort. You do have a few options like the Pa Ka Re bakery and another place called the rabbit. The rabbit is tucked in a small shopping which has a beauty salon. You can find 4 types of breakfast there. The Pa Ka Re bakery has coffee and baked goods like croissants and pastries stuff with egg and sausage. Both are within walking distance, literally across the street from the public entrances to the beach area.
Other notes:
Finding the Albatross via a gps was challenging. After driving around the general area it seems easier to find it again. The place seems unfinished with different rooms in various stages of readiness and repairs going on during the week. I had a car so hit La Romana, Punta Cana, and Samana areas.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

While the staff at Albatros was sweet, kind and willing to help, their hands were tied. The hotel does not have enough employees to address the many problems.
When I arrived, my apt's lock was not working and it took them 4 days to fix. This meant, that every time I had to re-enter my room, I had to be escorted.
The restaurant owners are sweethearts, but the actual dining area looks like a cheap diner and the food is just ok.
There were many problems with my apartment. Both beds squeaked when I sat, lied down and moved in bed.
The faucets were faulty. Twice during my week's stay, I had to call hotel staff to shut my shower faucets as they were old and rusty.
The toilet did not flush properly and the apt in general had a stale, abandoned look.
My, apt, however, had a nice view of pool and ocean.
A lot of the hotel's clientele are grumpy, entitled older (mostly )Italians who scream unnecessarily at the sweet staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

RCI FAIL!! Hilton should be ashamed of themselves for working with RCI!!

List of cons
ROOM:
Power went out 4 of 7 days.
Shower barely ran water out of it's disgusting fixtures.
Walls filthy!
No microwave
No pillows
No TV
Stove broken
Uncomfortable, lopsided beds
Sheets were see through (not sure if clean)
No wifi unless you sit in the lobby.
No safe
No towels. Had to ask for them, received 1 each for entire week.
1 physical key per room. Had to leave it at front desk when not in the room. Since there was no safe, I had to carry all personal belongings with me.
Elevator broken. 4 flights of stairs.

List goes on but to sum it up, TERRIBLE & DIDGUSTING!

GROUNDS:
Pool disgusting. Never once got in.
Pool lounge chairs are not clean.
Had to request a pool towel. Received one each for the week.
Beach not accessible from hotel. Had to walk down to the abandoned hotel next door to get in the water (not safe.)
1 restaurant with 10 menu items. Man & lady that worked there was very nice but you can only eat the same items for a couple days. Each plate was $8-$10 each.
1 mini store with nothing edible to purchase (pointless items since the stove was broken & no microwave.)
People live here or rent monthly, it's weird.

OPTIONS:
There's a couple restaurants walking distance but nothing enjoyable.
I ended up buying day passes at the Coral Costa Caribe so we could enjoy our days. $50 each daily to use their pool, beach, food & drinks. Their all inclusive food was decent.
Their spa is just ok.
They have a casino but never went in so no feedback.
Taxi rides here ranged from $8-$12 each way. Price was never the same.

List of pros
Hmm...
Still thinking...
I got nothing.

RCI let down! My bad, I trusted their choice hotels without researching it myself. Huge mistake!

Stayed February 2014
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

RCI FAIL!!

List of cons
ROOM:
Power went out 4 of 7 days.
Shower barely ran water out of it's disgusting fixtures.
Walls filthy!
No microwave
No pillows
No TV
Stove broken
Uncomfortable, lopsided beds
Sheets were see through (not sure if clean)
No wifi unless you sit in the lobby.
No safe
No towels. Had to ask for them, received 1 each for entire week.
Elevator broken. 4 flights of stairs.

List goes on but to sum it up, TERRIBLE & DIDGUSTING!

GROUNDS:
Pool disgusting. Never once got in.
Pool lounge chairs are not clean.
Had to request a pool towel. Received one each for the week.
People live here or rent monthly, it's weird.

OPTIONS:
There's a couple restaurants walking distance but nothing enjoyable.
Their spa is just ok.
They have a casino but never went in so no feedback.
Taxi rides here ranged from $8-$12 each way. Price was never the same.

List of pros
Hmm...
Still thinking...
I got nothing.

Stayed February 2014
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Nice comfortable place to stay that's conveniently located between Santo Domingo and La Romana. Room was very clean and spacious. Staff was excellent. There were some minor room issues but they were resolved very professionally.

I had fun and would go again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Been to Albatros Club Resort? Share your experiences!