“Great holidays in Decameron!” 4 of 5 stars

Ocean Arc Decameron
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Playa Juan Dolio 10, Juan Dolio, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Montreal
“Great holidays in Decameron!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

I spent a week with my boyfriend in the hotel Decameron at Juan Dolio from February 16th to Feb 24th 2008. This is a honest point of view: I don't know if the people before were too demanding or if they weren't lucky. It's a 3 * hotel, and I was very surprised because the food was EXCELLENT, the pool was good (volley ball, water polo, basket ball) and the animation team was great, nice and sweet with all the tourists: they were dynamic, warm and made a lot of efforts to play different funny shows every nights. ok, rooms are not (for the moment) perfect, but it's not so bad: don't forget that they are renoving and I think that it's a new owner. I loved this place for the employees: always smiling and friendly. negative point: no hot water but it's not big deal.. I hope you good holidays in this hotel if you are looking for fun, friendly and nice dominican people.

• Liked — There are a lot of gifts shops
  • Stayed February 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Couples
Business
Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

Ladies and Gentleman.
I went to this place from feb-23-07 till feb25-07. Lucky me that it was only for that weekend.
I will begin with the Staff... They are great and they are doing the best they can do with the little it has been handed to them, I do not blame them a bit for the conditions of this place.

The grounds are pretty, but the rooms are real outdated, the bathrooms are a mess, the deco is real ugly and mold rules.
I was changed from rooms once, and the bath on both of them were sub-par. Mind that we were 2 couples so I saw 4 rooms and all had the same mold and delapidated bathroom.

hot water is non existent, the booze is worst than bottom shelf, and the buffet area is dirty. The food is local ( which I like ), but the presentation and the counter spaces are in real need of repair.

This place used to be a real palace before, that was on the early nineties, a lot has changed now. I am Dominican and it makes me feels ashamed that a Tourist have to come here and have a bad impression of this otherwise beautiful island.

Refrain to visit this hotel, till at least the repairs are done and you hear or read that it has really improved. right now is not a place to visit no matter how cheap it is

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
US
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2007

No hot water for 10 days. Got there to no electricity for 4 hours. Food was tasteless and always a mystery. Did I say NO HOT WATER FOR 10 DAYS! Pool was nice and was right across the street from the beach. We had a phone, but no cord to the wall. Some room had no phone, and some had no TV (we were in a group of 30 people). It was an experience!

• Liked — pool and proximity to beach
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed February 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2006

Three 20 something girls at the Ocean Arc Decameron. What a place! We booked the trip and THEN read the Travel Advisor reviews - too little to late.
It was a last minute special, and we didn't expect much but a clean place, decent food and booze of course. Well, our first night there we were rather depressed. Everyone that got off the bus with us had the same scared expressions on their faces upon arrival. It is old, and neglected. The rooms smelled mouldy, we never had enough towels or toilet paper. The beach was ok despite the hurricane damage earlier that year. We spent most of our days in the sun by the ocean so we didn't test out the pool at all but the chairs were broken and stained. The male staff were extremely friendly (almost too much) but the women were rude. The drinks and food are substandard and we were HUNGRY. Thank God for snacks from the convenience stores by the beach. We lovingly named it the Decameron Fat Camp because we each lost between 5-10 lbs that week from lack of food. There were many people there who were return travellers and they told us that over the years, the resort had gone from top of the line to sadly run down. We had no horror stories and certainly had a lot of good laughs. You make the best of that kind of situation when you have to. Most of the people at the resort felt the same way we did and so it brought us together. We made some great friends and it made it all worthwhile. If you are looking for an economy hotel and plan to do off resort travelling, it would be ok. Or if you just don't care if you eat rice and pineapple every day, then go for it. There was lots to eat but it was all very suspicious looking and usually came with a fly or two!

• Stayed April 2005
Hallandale Beach, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2005

Back on August 16, 2005 I purchased a package reservation for my family of 5. We would be staying at Decameron from the 17th of December until the 2nd of January, X-mas and New Years, we arrived by taxi and found the hotel had been closed, according to a grounds attendant since June for renovations. They would be opening now early February or late February. My whole Holidays have been ruined, I as an adult will get over it, but my 11 yr. old child is having a hard time with this situation. Now I have to start to decorate my home for x-mas & plan for day trips to relieve the stress in my home.

BEWARE OF THIS TYPE OF FRAUD....

Stayed December 2005
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2005

This place definitely does have mildew issues. We were initially put in a bottom floor room after waiting for about 15 minutes for them to find a room. It smelled of mildew. We requested to be moved which they did pretty quickly to a top floor room which was much better, but you could see that mildew was painted over on the ceilings. I usually had hot water, but it did seem salty. The food wasn't so good and it was good that we brought diarrhea medicine. The pool was very nice and seemed pretty clean to me, but we also only spent the last day at the pool and all other days at the beach. We brought our own beach towels and mats so none of those issues were a problem. We did get towels the last day and they didn't have us check them out so no big deal. The beach was nice, but the water did have lots of seaweed. The beach vendors were annoying, but we bought lots of jewelery so it wasn't too bad. The women who braid hair kept lowering their prices to I think about $5, but we didn't want it. One thing is that we brought very little money, this hotel doesn't have an ATM so we had to go down to the hotel down the street which has 2 ATM's but both here out of money. Bring more money or expect to walk down the beach to the left to bigger hotels that have ATM's. All in all though the weather was awesome and we pretty much just lay around on the beach all day or went on trips. Through Sky Auction we got a week here with airfare from New York for $700, so because of that I might even do it again for the price. My friend thought all the liquor was watered down, but brought her own big plastic type cup and had them fill it up and then didn't have to go back and forth to the bar. Re: the pizza that everyone raves about -- I think once they actually made it that I saw and I couldn't get in to get any before it was all gone. It didn't look very good though. Note: as soon as we walked out of the airport these guys grabbed our bags and said they would take us to the hotel and I think it was about $45 in this van and we had to wait for a while because they were trying to get more people. The way back it was only $20 in a taxi. I noticed there was taxi hut thing at the airport, so next time I think I'd walk up to that first to see how much a normal taxi would cost. Also we could not make any long distance calls from the hotel so we relied on their internet cafe only.

• Stayed March 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2005

I travelled to the Ocean Arc Decameron with three other girls (all of us mid 20s). We have all travelled extensively before and have stayed in resorts ranging from 3* to 5*. We booked last minute and were looking forward to a one week beach and booze getaway. After an easy flight and bus ride to the resort, we arrived at the resort at approx 11:30 pm tired and hungry and eager to get to our room and have a drink. Well, my friend and I were first taken to a ground floor room that didn't even have a lock on the door....ACTUALLY...it didn't even have a door knob. This was obviously unacceptable for two young ladies in a country where many men seemed "interested" in becoming our "special friend". I refused the room and we were then taken to a room where we at least had a locking door. This room featured a double bed with dirty sheets, a rusty and filthy bathroom, and a water leaking "air conditoner" that dripped all night into the table lamp below. Needless to say we didn't try to turn on the lamp for fear of electric shock. We had a laugh and decided to make the best of it for one night and speak with our travel rep the next morning at our briefing. We headed out for a drink and a bite to eat. Our apparent "welcome reception" included cold "food" including some sort of broth with floating cut up "weiners"...the drinks were average.

Fast forward to the next morning for our briefing with our rep....at least 80% of the people at the briefing had similar complaints and believe it or not, some of the complaints made our room sound pretty good. Our rep was useless and somewhat rude in assisting us with a room change. I spoke with the manager about a room change and was told they were booked but to come back at 4pm and a new room would be assigned once some guests had departed....so 4pm arrives and I patiently wait for our new room assignment...no room and no explaination...."come back tomorrow 4pm"....Keep in mind, we arrived Saturday night and FINALLY got a new room Wednesday afternoon after persistant waiting everyday at 4pm. Once we got our new room, things started to look up. There were your typical DomRep problems...rotating power outages, low water pressure, average cleanliness standards....but at least the room was safe and comfortable....2 BEDS....what a treat after sharing a double with limited a/c for 2 nights.

The staff does really work had for the minimal money that they earn and we found that the male staff where more friendly and helpful than the female staff....could be we are all young ladies..ha ha.

The drinks were so-so but plentiful. The evening entertainment was your typical variety/dance type shows....pretty good...they try hard....remember this isn't Las Vegas after all. The pool and beach were fine although the chairs were limited and many were broken. Mysteriously...the pool water did not smell/taste like there was any chlorine in it...and it is not a fresh water pool either...we were told there was chlorine in it (?).

THE "FOOD"...we tried on numerous occasions to get reservations to the a la carte restaurants only to be told they would not be open that night..."try again tomorrow" For the most part we ate at the buffet. Not really a great selection or food quality but you could always find SOMETHING. We tried to make the most of it, have a few laughs and try some interesting dishes...most were not that good....they seemed to use "weiners" for everything from pizza toppings, to breakfast sausage, and tried to pass off "Spam type meat" as ham. Have to say the first vacation that I actually LOST WEIGHT on. We met up with some fellow Canadian travellers, who like us, seemed to have upset stomach issues and frequent bouts of the "Decameron Special" as we called it. We shared our Immodium and Pepto Bismal and celebrated a day of solid stools....yes beware the Decameron Special stomach ailment.

Many bad things, not a three star by any stretch of the imagination....but a lot of laughs and we made the best of a bad situation. We got our week of beach and booze...but not much else. Wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed February 2005

Been to Ocean Arc Decameron? Share your experiences!