“Should not be in business!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Playa Real Beach Resort to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Playa Real Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Villas Del Mar Beach, Juan Dolio, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #14 of 18 hotels in Juan Dolio
Toronto
“Should not be in business!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

We went 5 years ago and it looks as though nothing has changed! The hotel is terrible...old rooms, with broken AC's and the bathrooms were gross, musty and moldy! the pool area was and is still falling apart and the beach is not beautiful! GO SOMEWHERE ELSE in the DR...or at least another resort in this area. This hotel should not be categorized as a resort...its more like a motel! The staff was friendly and the food was good if there was an upside to our vacation. Horrible vacation!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Bathgate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

From the web page,this hotel promotes itself as a four star. In myopinion it is at best 2/3 star. If you are going to their appartments, my advice is dont. You would expect these appartments to be four star, but they are officially 3 keys.They need cleaning and painting with fridges, (mine at least) would not put anything in. The appartments are known to staff of the hotel as beirut.
The description of the hotel does not inform you that it is situated on top of a very steep hill. It also says that it is 800 metres from the beach which is incorrect. It is at least twice that.
The food leaves a lot to be desired. It caters for mainly German tastes. The Brits visiting this hotel would expect bacon, eggs, black pudding, etc. Forget it. Instead you will be offered, brocolle and cauliflower florets, pasta, salad,pork, fried eggs. Oh, dont ask for an omlette as they will not make you one. Four star?
Lunch and dinner is not much better. Salads are fine, but the rest leaves a lot to be desired.
The bar area is dark and dismal with no atmosphere. Dont ask for sherry, (whish is made in Spain as they do not stock it!)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

The hotel is nice. The food was very good (i'm hard to please but was not short of a wide array of fine cuisine to enjoy - every day - morning, noon and night). The staff were genuinely very helpful (only one ever gave me mild trouble) & safety??? Don't worry. I found undercover police at the resort.

Warning - while the sea is warm (non Atlantic) and beautiful fish swim around your feet, try to resist swimming over the reef - the coral about 70m from the beach is at sea level and quite sharp but then it is in the deep water area and does keep the nasties out (so your kids are safe to swim). That's useful because you can hire (or get free depending on the package you have) flippers and snorkels to better examine natures best. If you get an all inclusive package, food, in-hotel activities and drinks (& I mean everything) are free, all day.

The hotel has everything you'd need for a complete package holiday. However, because of its location, you're off the beaten track - it's quite and natural. The downside of this is you're away from the hustle and bustle. However, the upside of this is you're surrounded by nature and I didn't find it too far from anywhere. I personally hired a taxi bike and went trekking. Great!

Aside from that there are a load of crazy subcontracted excursions promoted by the hotel you can go on which will take you all over the island visiting its beautiful attractions (did you know Harrison Ford has a retreat there? Who'd have thought you could find Blade Runner's Dekkard on paradise?) - I never heard a bad report from anyone who went on these. These are all paid for, but worth the expense so I've been told.

The true test is, would I go again. Would I? I plan to take my new wife there this January.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

Stayed at this hotel about four years ago and both myself and daughter also spent almost the whole fortnight by our rooms due to the diorrhea, lots of other people had this so bad that the doctor was a constant visitor. What people said about the locals invading was true, and they were given preferential treatment, and its was like a mad rush to get food at the buffett, never seen people eat so much !!!!! Why are decent tour operators still using this run down dirty hotel , which hasnt got any better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — the sunshine
  • Disliked — being ill and the hoards of locals
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sudbury, Suffolk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

We booked this hotel as a last minute holiday via a holiday booking agent over the phone, we were sold a beautiful 4* hotel which is definitely NOT what we got. Turning up to the hotel in the evening it was dark and I could tell straight away this was not a beautiful 4* resort. We were given a room on the ground floor of a block that had no lighting in the corridor so only just found our room!! The room had the most horrendous smell of damp, I have been to the Domincan before and not had a problem with the smell of damp so it is obviously managable but not for this hotel. In the morning we went to our welcome meeting and the first thing our rep said to us even before a hello was are your rooms o.k? (not a good sign). We asked to move rooms and reported to reception at the time given, we were told to come back later, we went back later and was given another room. This room looked ok (standard of rooms was low so we decided to stay as we could get a worse one). When we got back to the room later that night we realised we were right above the disco!!! Arrrgghh, after talking to a man at the reception desk earlier who was still trying to get a clean room after 4 days we decided to stay put.
The food and hygiene at this hotel was something else, I experienced diahorea, nausia and stomache cramps for the entire 2 weeks of our holiday and for 4 MONTHS after!!! God only nows what was in my system!! The buffet restaurant was terrible, if you didn't get there for the first sitting you would be sitting in other peoples mess as the tables were rarely cleaned, the staff were very unhelpful and the food was awful.
The beach was all I can describe as man made, barely any sand and rocks in the sea, buy sea shoes if you want to go in the sea. Oh and if you want a sun longer on the man made beach get up very early as there are only a few.
Our room was supposedly cleaned everyday but that was up for debate, the maid would frequently leave the patio doors unlocked, mop the floor with dirty water, not change the bed sheets and even took one of my own towels away that was green, not sure how this can get mixed up with all white towels.
At the weekends the hotel gets mobbed by locals, I don't know if they are paying guests or are just people aloud in but they get priority over the shocking service and bad food.
There were minimal facilities at the hotel, 2 pools neither that big, 1 bar open in the evening with no seating anywere to be seen, the entertainment in the eveing was aimed at children and very poor.
During our stay we had a couple of days of rain, I'm not sure what happened but we came down to the reception area and the ceiling had fallen in in two areas, the areas were taped off and left for about a week!!
Overall this was a terrible hotel and I was ill for a long time because of it so I would recommend to anyone that has booked to go here to change their holiday or just don't go. Some of the other guests that arrived at the same time as us were moved to another hotel, don't suffer in silence like us!

Stayed July 2005
Lincolnshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2006

I stayed here last week of June/First week of july 2004 and loved every minute of it!!!

• Liked — Price paid
  • Disliked — Long journey from airport
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Baltimore, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2006

I stayed at the Playa Real Resort in Juan Dolio, DR in August 2005. The rooms were decent enough, nothing luxurious, but they were very clean.

The food at the outdoor buffet was very good, I must admit. They had an excellent array of international foods to satisfy every guest's tastes.

The pools were kept relatively clean, and in the mornings, we would see workers cleaning the pools before guests started making their way outside.

The Playa Real was not the most luxurious resort to stay at, but it was decent enough for the price.

Been to Playa Real Beach Resort? Share your experiences!