“don't do it!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 19 hotels in Juan Dolio
Richmond Hill, Canada
“don't do it!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

From the time we arrived at the airport to the 3 hour bus ride to and from the resort to the mundain food - the drap room interior the trip went from bad to terrible - the only high point was the beach bar during the day - If I had to do it over again - I'd stay home

Room Tip: I have nothing good to say
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

471 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
nyc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I arrived at the resort with the intention of spending quality time with family. The entrance to the place was beautiful. Once we checked in we went to the dining room for lunch and what a surprise when we saw the meager offerings. 5 local dishes and flies all over the food, all inclusive?? in a country where cholera and dengue are on the rise? we were horrified. I booked through hotels.com and tried to reach them but they never picked up, wont be booking through them again. I was desperate to get the hell out of there. After trying helplessly to get in touch with hotels.com we decided to stay since the hotel clerk offered to change the menu and upgrade are rooms to "ocean view".. It still wasnt worth it, the toilets were leaking, the linens smelled and pillows had a bad odor, had to tip housekeeping lady to get clean sheets. the drinks were of very poor quality"cheap booze" everything was too sweet and they said they dont offer cranberry juice at all??????yeah i dont understand. basically it was the worst of the worst, kind of reminded me of the movie the money pit. Things only got worse. There only saving grace was the bartender who was extremely pleasant to us. Stay away

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bloomfield, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed there for a week and i have to say with the hectic life i have here in the states I was so happy to be at this hotel. Since everyone goes to Punta Cana not many people come to this side of the island. Every time my family and I went to the beach or the pool it was practically all for ourselves. The staff is so completely wonderful, if you're nice to them they will treat you well. The food was great and completely fresh. The rooms were a bit clamy and there were a lot of misquotes.
The people complaining about this hotel are just being ridiculous and unreasonable. The employees do not steal, I have an iphone, a macbook pro and a DSLR and nothing got stolen. Also why is it a big deal that the employees it the same food? You're getting fed regardless. And the drinks were great the people saying they weren't are light weights that can't handle their alcohol. The towel lady was so sweet and I never had to wait for anything thing for more than 5 minutes.
It gets busy during the weekend but aside from that I had an amazing time staying here. Try to make friends with the employees. Our room was cleaned twice a day thanks to this.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

For the price I paid it was great I stayed from Aug 12 -16. Wonderful Staff all the waiters there my fav Amari. Because of the price it is not a 5 star hotel please don't think it is. They give it 3 stars I would say its a 2. Great view I had my room overlooking the beach I didn't pay extra for it. Because I came on a Sunday and not on fri thru Saturday all the locals were gone. So when I arrived nobody was really there. people didn't come until Tuesday. I thought the food was great but didn't like the breakfast. Drinks were good once we told him how we like it. They cleaned my room daily pool was cleaned daily. Cons were very damp old room had hot water only 2 days. If you are from America I would suggest that you keep your American money do not exchange for pesos. And please if you go you need some OFF some kind of repellent I have 20 bites on me now. But if you want a last min cheap trip and you are not picky then this might be your place.

• Stayed August 2012
santo domingo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed here for one night. Thanks God I didn't stay for more. First we got a really ugly room. The phone line didn't work in any room. We asked to be moved and got a better room. The food wasn"t good. Apparently the employees eat the same food as we do, because they are very sharp at telling you thet you are late at some snack or dinner reservation to order o even see any food left. We got late to a dinner reservation and the waiter (Jacinto) started arguing about the time we spent waiting for him to show up! We got there at 9:10 and he lasted 15 minutes to show up. Then he gave us a limited menu. The "italian" food was not good at all. We didn't even finished our plates. We were told by Jaime or Javier in the reception that they had a 24 hour restaurant and the next day he says he didn't say that... When we wanted to go to the beach we waited 1 hour for the pool towls and they never appeared. And last but not least my work phone got stolen! when we left the room for the check out. and remembered my phone, we asked to go look for my phone. I knew I had left it in the night stand. it wasn't there... I called and the phone was turned off even though i left it on with a full battery charged.

The only people that treated us decently was the bar boy Amaury and a waiter called Taylor... The drinks were horrible as well.

Room Tip: Do not even think about going to this hotel. we chose it beacuse Capella didn't have any free ro...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Willemstad, Curacao
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We made a 6 days trip from Curacao to the Dominican Republic on July 19th 2012. We heard Juan Dolio is one of the nice areas of the island with nice beaches and hotels. The hotel we wanted was full, we found this one and decided to book at once. The first day was a kind of a deception because the lighting in the room was poor, one lamp was not working, we had to beg 24 hours to get a properly working remote control for the A/C. We had the same problem with getting clean/enough bathtowels. The telephone was not working, we could get internet service for $10/day only in the very dark, hot lobby (not in our room). The fitnessroom was closed. Actually the whole hotel was dark. All of this rates this hotel as a very poor one, but there is a very positive thing about this hotel, that is the FRIENDLY personnel: they were ALWAYS friendly, eager to help with a big smile, and nice when serving us. The food was also very good. Definitely, the personnel makes Talanquera shine every day and night. A BIG HUG for the personnel from family Lacroes from Curacao.

Room Tip: go and check this hotel before booking , don't rely on what you see on the site.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

A decent Caribbean Hotel. I had been to the Dominican Republic before, but to the North of the Island. So to come to the south side, for this price too, I was very happy.

Food was not great, typical buffet style really.

Rooms were very damp. I asked to be moved, the guy handed my a few keys and told me to take my pick! Typical laid back Caribbean attitude!! As it was though, all the other rooms were damp too. I think it's a real problem in the hotel.

The beach was amazing. A coral protected lagoon made swimming easy without any large waves.

The area around the hotel was a bit lively to say the least. but the hotel grounds are extensive so getting a nights sleep wasn't a problem.

Overall, there's probably better hotels in the area, but for the price, I was very pleased.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Talanquera Beach Resort? Share your experiences!