“Don't Go” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Coral Costa Caribe Resort, Spa & Casino

You added Coral Costa Caribe Resort, Spa & Casino to your Saves list
Coral Costa Caribe Resort, Spa & Casino
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle Principal KM 55 | Juan Dolio Beach, Juan Dolio, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Juan Dolio
St Maarten-St Martin
“Don't Go”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Where do I start? I read the reviews before staying at this hotel, I thought the people were exaggerating, it can't be that bad I said, Oh yeah it is. My husband and I left St. Maarten and went to the DR for a little more R&R.

Arrival: We landed the driver was there to pick us up. We made it to the hotel we checked in all was great.

Room: Terrible
Food: No taste, terrible
Drinks: Mediocre.

My husband and I are on the beach, and a prostitute walks up to us and offers her services. I nearly passed out.
The vendors on the beach is true, its that bad
Everything about this hotel is bad, just do yourself the favor and go somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Manassas, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stayed here for a conference. The meeting room was nice enough, but a little shocking how expensive the "extras" were. Had to pay a crazy amount of money for audio/ microphones, projector, etc.
Rooms were so-so. Definitely dated. You have to pay extra for a lock for the safe (which was a little bit shocking). Water pressure low and at best water temp was warm. Could never get the aircon adjusted properly. Was either freezing or melting all week.
Don't get me started on the food. Selection at the buffet was minimal and ranged from mediocre to disgusting. One night I took a bit of my "roast" and nearly threw up on my plate. Not sure what it actually was, but definitely not beef. There are other restaurants available, but all require reservations and their menu changes daily. Never actually made it to any of these alternate places. Most nights I went to the overpriced shop onsite and bought chips and salsa. The saving grace here is the beautiful beach beach.

Room Tip: Get a beach view
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Mississauga, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

KNOW WHAT ARE YOU GETTING YOURSELF INTO.
This is a solid 3.5 by DR standards, but by CA standards it is a 2.5.

Pros: Beach front, Pools, Buffet, Liquor selection.
Cons: Prostitutes, excessive beach vendors, expeditions are very poor quality.
Beach Snack Bar food often sat all day (a hotdog made at 1pm would sit out until 10pm).
Rooms are not as advertised and poor quality.
Glasses are not properly sterilized/cleaned

PLANE/TAXI:
Arrived and departed via sunwing airlines, some delays, nothing unreasonable. My taxi to take me to the airport was a full hour late, and it arrived empty at my location, so I’m not sure why it was delayed as there was no traffic on our way to the airport. You will not fly into Santa Domingo Airport, you will fly into Punta Cana, the trip is 90 minutes if you’re alone, but it will likely be about 3.5 hours as you will be dropping off other guests enroute, rest assured, you will be the very last stop.

LOBBY/CONCIERGE:
Arrival to hotel and check-in was fast and simple, the concierge/lobby staff were always pleasant, courteous, and spoke English fluently. The bellboys were attentive and receptive, especially upon my departure from the hotel.

ROOM:
I purchased the upgrade to the oceanview room, having read previous reviews on tripadvisor.

I requested a single King, and received a standard double.
My room did not have a fridge, and the TV was grainy and had no remote.
The oceanview did not exist, as palm trees has long-ago overgrown any view that did exist.

Not wanting to put a bad vibe on my vacation I decided to accept my room with working AC, ceiling fan, and a working toilet/shower.

I met another pair of travellers and they had moved rooms 3 times because of leaking ceilings, no mattresses/sheets in one room, and when they were finally upgraded to the oceanview suite, I inspected the room and it was maybe a 3.0 star at best (and this was the very best room in the hotel).

BAR:
You need to know that the staff don’t properly wash the bar/drink glasses. At the bar they will take a dirty glass, dip it into old soapy water, and then proceed to make your drink. There is no scrubbing the glass, no rinse. Nothing. I was not the only person to notice this occurring at several bars including the main lobby bar.

A positive note is that they do stock whiskey, tequila, ciroq, and many others.
A negative is that if you order, for example, a Rye and Coke, the server will add the shot of rye , and then try and sneak in a shot of rum, and finally the cola. Why they do this, either they want you drunk, which is unlikely, or they are trying to conserve resources.
Service at the bar was always prompt, the server at the pool bar was very courteous and prompt, even though I never tipped until the very last day before leaving.

BUFFET:
Eat at the buffet as soon as it opens, OR go directly to the chefs at the grill. There appear to be 2 main chefs, and older skinny man, and a younger healthy one. The older chef was a much better cook, for example he was able to make eggs once over easy. Always his service was great, even without a tip (although I did tip him at the end as well). The serving staff was almost non-existent at breakfast, and limited at diner, but very good at lunch. Usually I wound up getting my own water and drinks and my own utensils/serviette.
The quality of the food was good, it was the equivalent to an all-you-can-eat buffet in Canada. The selection c hanged daily and ranged in fish, meat, veggies, fresh fruits, pastas, etc. Their turkey was just amazing, amazing!

SNACK BAR:
The snack bar has probably the best view and quality of appearance for the entire compound, which is why it is so upsetting that the quality is so poor. I ate a hotdog there with a glass of water and now have the Dominican water illness for the next 2-3 weeks. Within 90 minutes of my consumption.

BEACH:
There is a unreasonable amount of vendors on the beach. To demonstrate my point, every 4 minutes you would get a new vendor, they wouldn’t go away for at least 1-2 minutes, and you would thus get 2 minutes of beach relaxation between each vendor. I kid you not, this goes on ALL day. It is impossible to read a book, they even bother you then. If you are sleeping, they will try and wake you up. This is completely unreasonable. I am tired of women coming up to me on the beach, offering me a message, and then moving their tongues around like snakes, or a scene from the exorcist. It was disgusting but I would suggest I was solicited for prostitution every 30 minutes the entire time I was in the hotel. It’s not just the women either, the pimps are friendly too.

EXCURSIONS:

I booked an excursion with some travellers via the hotels excursion booth. It was to be a 3 hour horseback ride on the beach at sunset. What we got was ponies covered in sores. Someone rode behind us constantly whipping the animals to go faster, we had no control of or pace. They rushed us to a cliff, not a beach, where we got off the horse and stood there for a few minutes. There was absolutely no horseback riding on or near a beach. We all received multiple insect bites along the way. I am also pretty sure that they walked us past a marijuana grow op, because I don’t think there are skunks in the DR....

OVERALL:
This is a good place to go for a few days to party. I’d wake up early, drink all day, and go to bed early.
YOU CANNOT RELAX HERE as there are too many AGGRESIVE beach vendors.
The level of prostitution is entirely unacceptable, and that is coming from a person who lives in a place where adult services and escorting is legal.
It is sad because the facilities are not top-notch, so you hope that the near perfect beach will compensate for that inadequacy, except the excessive and aggressive beach vendors completely annihilate any such option.

WOULD I RETURN TO THIS HOTEL? The hotel appears to be in decline, knowing this, it will only continue to get worse, therefore, NO.

WOULD I RETURN TO THE DR? I have been here many times, I recommend Punta Canada, not Don Folio Beach, they don’t have the annoying beach vendors and they have good local shopping.

Room Tip: Lower your expectations to ZERO.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

It wasn't as bad as the rest of the reviews.... rooms were alot outdated... one of our 3 rooms had air conditioning problems it would work one day and not the next.... hot water for our showers was not available til A day before our check out.... the elevators in the north building wasn't working so if you were handicapped or had any other health issues that would be a problem.... they only have flat sheets for the beds not fitted so if you roll over your bed was unmade.... The buffet was ok the first 3days and then it got tiring, but they have 2 restaurants that you have to make reservations for.... The staff of course was outstanding.... The beach vendors can be a little annoying but you have to respect working people with a drive in the heat.... The beach was amazing.... The pool was awesome.... There is one particular staff member that made my visit OUTSTANDING Omar from dining, he knows the true meaning of great customer service.... The casino was awesome as well, every night they a light snack available(the soup was the best).... You have to pay for wifi unless you go to the lobby.... The boom boom room was a nice club with great music, good drinks, and awesome ambiance located in the lobby.... There are plenty of activities on the resort and off of the resort to do so please do them... The beachfront massage was AWESOME, just walk to the beach and ask for Maria.... The only thing I would suggest is renovations in a major way and having other food options available for those that don't mind paying for it.... Other than that I had a wonderful time and would definitely visit again.... thanks for the awesome time

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

First I went to Coral Costa Caribe as part of 20 member group with an open mind despite poor reviews, I figured maybe picky tourist or closed minded but this place needs a huge all around make over. Rooms are dirty, towels, sheets are unacceptable, phone was broken, TV outdated, food was very poor quality and not tasty. First day Italian restaurant wasn't at all what it's supposed to be, second day Mexican restaurant didn't have several items and food was horrible.
The size and area of hotel/resort is impressive but staff is not prepared for massive flock of people or booked hotel.
I understand beach isn't like Bavaro or others but it's the hotel, restaurants and overall ownership the problem. You can never say never but I don't see myself returning to this hotel.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Clermont, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Very noisy at night.. Some of the food was ok, but think we both got sick oni it. Staff friendly, good place if you like drinking all night long. Allot of obnocious people, very load, woke up allot. Besdt part was the Beach.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

recently got back from a 1 week stay. food was okay, not very hot from the buffet. service was terrible- no one spoke English nor did they try. front desk service was awful, not organized at all... the room--- mattress was YELLOW, no cover was placed on the mattress just covered with a top sheet, blanket was yellow and green, sheets were stained. toilet hardly flushed. the water that came out of the shower was minimal, hardly enough to take a shower with. The cleaning staff was okay, but you had to leave gifts/tips in order to get bottled water. the vendors on the beach were TERRIBLE. you could not lay on the beach for 5 minutes without someone trying to sell you anything!!!

also, bring a prescription for ciprofloxacin because you will get travelers diarrhea there!

do not stay at this resort! it was terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: go to a different resort
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Betzaida N, Asistente de Gerencia at Coral Costa Caribe Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Guest:
We sincerely regret your feel and dissatisfaction with our services and facilities, but we can assure that the situations experienced by you are not a regular part of our operation in general.
In our hotel, we strive to provide each of our guest’s a friendly service, which characterizes us as a company leader in the hospitality.
We would like to inform you that the cleaning service in the rooms and areas is superior and consistent with the service our customer expects to receive; besides we ensure a proficient maintenance and service in all infrastructure of the resort because we consider of great importance to keep the rooms, facilities and equipment working adequately.

We can assure you that our hotel has a strict program of food quality and hygiene and it is supported by the Crystal America that includes monthly audits. We do not have customer records with diarrhea.

Finally, we would like to emphasize you that our employees have good knowledge of English and they receive constantly courses to reinforce the level of conversation, especially the staffs have direct contact with the customer. Please, to keep in mind that Spanish is our native language and the pronunciation might not be perfect.

Very cordially,

Been to Coral Costa Caribe Resort, Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!