“Don't be deceived by outdated pictures...soon will be out of business!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Capella Beach Resort

You added Barcelo Capella Beach Resort to your Saves list
Barcelo Capella Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Villas del Mar, Juan Dolio 4750, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Jupiter, Florida, United States
“Don't be deceived by outdated pictures...soon will be out of business!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I read reviews and looked through pictures that looked and sounded great before coming here. The word "beautiful" should not even be used in the same sentence as this resort. The building my husband normally stays in when he comes here has been shut down/sold and condos will be built instead. The poor upkeep of the buildings and landscaping was the first thing I noticed and upon entering the room, a smell of old, mildew, rotten must was overbearing. The AC was not working and the bathroom was disgusting. The bed skirt on the king size bed looked like it hasn't been washed in 30 years and had multiple stains on them. The "Mini Bar" included a come, water and juice box ONLY and only 2/3 of the dimly lit lamps actually worked. We switched rooms and that one was not any better, but the AC worked. Prior guests "bodily fluids" remained on the toilet seat, which was beyond repulsive. The food included is all buffet food, which we saw sat out in the 90 humidity for hours before dinner started. The resort is known to be "multilingual", but these are few and far to come by. The pools are dirty and not well kept and the lounge chairs are old, dirty and covered in bird droppings. The entertainment was subpar and the customer service was below average. Very disappointed in this so-called "all inclusive resort" and would not recommend to anyone looking for a clean, accommodating place to relax. Spend more money and go elsewhere...if anyone wants actual, RECENT pictures, I'd be more than happy to share.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before checking in
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Turkish first
Danbury, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Barceló Capella Beach Resort in Juan Dolio for 3 nights. The place is beyond beautiful. You seriously feel like you are in a magical kingdom in heaven, which makes it a very nice place to take pictures. The pools are very clean and well taken care of. The beach is also very clean and the waves are nowhere near big, so I recommend this beach for families with small children.

The Check-In process is extremely irritating because everyone crowds the front desk at check-in time and tries to cut you in line because they know the front desk people. My advice to you if you arrive at the hotel before 3:00pm and have to wait to check in - Begin to stand in line at 2:45pm just so make it clear that you are priority. The People are very nice and care about everyone, they just lack organizational skills because there is too much going on at the same time. So just compose yourself and don't let it get to you.

The fact that it is all inclusive, makes the bar feel a bit unorganized, so when you get to the bar, make sure you grab the bartenders attention by calling out his name or say " Ay Mano," and put one hand out. If you just stand there, and wait for him to notice you, you will never get your drink.

The Buffet area is very clean and there is a lot of food and a variety of options. Please be advised that during breakfast and lunch, flies will try to attack you and your food because the buffet area sends out a strong appetizing smell. SO PLEASE bring the strongest bug spray and spray every inch of your body and all your belonging, including your clothes in the morning before going to breakfast. Then repeat this same procedure before going to lunch. - I didn't bring a strong enough repellent and suffered attacks and bites. I had to go to the local store and get the OFF's Deep woods repellent (the strongest one) and it worked like a charm.

The night shows on saturdays are very FUN but some of the entertainment is not appropriate for young children, so just be aware of that and don't be shocked, it's a whole different culture.

A lot of the employees in the restaurant, buffet area, and bar don't speak perfect English, so they may keep it very short with you so they aren't embarrassed or humiliated. Now, if you throw in some Spanish words and smile, it shows that you are humble enough to try. That will win their hearts and they will become very loyal to you and always look out for you incase you need assistance.

The rooms vary. Some people get really nice rooms and others get the older ones. If you end up with the older ones, the cleanliness is a bit; therefore, don't settle for it, simply wait until around 6:00pm (when the check in desk is very slow) and ask to change the room. They will with pleasure. - they did so for me.

When you go shopping at the resort gift shop, DO NOT rely on the gift shop employee for the currency conversion. They will tell you the wrong price. My advice to those who have smart phones, is to download the "Ez Calculators" app. It has a currency converter tab and it is very up to date. I proved their employee wrong twice with that app. She tried to tell me 150 Dominican pesos was $5.00 when it really was $3.65. Then she tried to say 450 Dominican pesos was $14.00 when it was really $10.94. So be aware currency conversion at the gift shops.

This place was a wonderful experience, I left my purse out and about several times to test my surroundings and no one touched a thing. So people are trustworthy, just always maintain caution, but know that you are in a safe place.

Bottom line advice: Smile, lighten up, eat all you can, drink all you can, dance, take advantage of the activities they offer, and bring LOTs of singles so you can negotiate prices.

• Stayed May 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

As always, i think your vacation is what you make it. The resort itself left a lot to be desired - the pool bar was very small, as was the bar on the other side, with only two stools. There is no beach bar. There is no sports bar which is a shock in the DR. The buffett food doesnt rotate much, not a lot of variety, so you have to make reservations for the other restaurants. With that being said - we had a great time. It still has the beach. The other bar, which later is the disco is the place to be during the day as it is less busy than the pool bar. Again, we had a great time, but i wouldnt go back to this particular resort (although i definately will be going back to the DR and soon).

G Man

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Wichita, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed here in May of 2012. The property and grounds were very beautiful, however, the customer service is horrible and the buffet food was below average. I went with 3 of my gal friends for my birthday, and we arrived very late at night and had trouble getting our rooms. We had booked 2 rooms and each were supposed to have 2 queen beds -- we received 2 rooms but only had a king bed in each. And that is where they left us, no offer of changing rooms the next day or any form of compensation for making us sleep in the same bed for 5 days. Rooms were decorated nice enough and had the appearance of being cleans. Towels are old, worn, and scratchy. Bed & pillows are sub-par.

The Food: Yuck. They did not tell us upon check-in about the dining options available or even where things were located. Apparently you need to book way in advance if you want to eat somewhere besides the main buffet restaurant. Also, not all of the restaurants were even open to eat in. I ate a lot of cheese sandwiches because that was the only tasty and sometimes identifiable food. (It reminded me of that buffet scene in Vegas Vacation that Eddie took Clark to. I kept looking for blue mashed potato slop. LOL) Also, even getting a water refill was ridiculous, and then if you tried to get your own water refill, you would get cussed in Spanish by the wait staff. I literally got told to "¡Siéntese!" and then she muttered "pinchy wetta" under her breath.

The Drinks: Watery, lack alcohol. One assumes if you drink a couple of drinks that you will get some form of a buzz -- Nope, never happened once in 5 days -- even when you ask for double rum. I've bartended for 20 years, and I still maintain that they water their alcohol bottles down. Drink only beer.

Nightlife: The shows were boring and childish. The one night club they have was outside and very dark. They played the same songs all night, every night. In fact the DJ played that stupid "I'm Sexy and I know It" song by LMFAO over 8 times in one night (we stopped counting at 8) Seriously?!

Communication: The hotel staff has the worst case of "not my job" mentality I have ever seen. You can try and talk to them, you can try and ask something from them, however, you will be met with one of three attitudes --1) they will walk away while you are speaking; 2) they will smile and nod and act like they are going to help and then leave 3) after you wait 30 minutes and then go to them again they will pretend you never spoke to them or they will tell you it isn't their job and you need to go ask someone else -- and of course that person will tell you it isn't their job either. I did not like spending my vacation constantly running around looking for someone in management just so I could get a towel, excursion information, hotel information, etc. Horrible customer service.

Room Tip: Don't book a vacation here. Just don't. There has to be other options available in the area...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The Barcelo has recently sold half of its property to their neighbor, Hemming way. The left side of the Barcelo is being demolished to construct new buildings for new condominiums. The beach is getting dirty. You can't relax with the construction noise going on and the local workers checking out the guests.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Passaic, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed at this resort for 5 days with my mother and sister from May 24 2013 to May 29 2013. As soon as I stepped on the property I was surprised at how beautiful and well kept it looked. I was expecting worse because I had read some bad reviews. Everthing is very clean, including the beach. The rooms were ok. Our room had a bad dingy smell and the bed was not very comfy, but I didnt care much because most of my time was not going to be spent in the room. The food is awesome. Being dominican myself, I enjoyed having alot of the cultural dishes. There are some restaurants that you can make reservations to. I recommend the " bohio dominicano." During the weekends a lot of locals come to spend some time with their families and it got a bit hectic. So during the weekend it may be best to make a reservation at one of the restaurants. The entertainment shows at night can use a lot of work. The dancers in the shows also host aerobics on the beach, competitions, volleyball, etc which i participated in and had a lot of fun. The entertainers do alot there and I give them kudos for all their hard work. They were very funny and I had a lot of fun and laughs with them. One of the downfalls of this resort are the rocks on the ocean floor as well as the peddlers on the beach. Luckily I had read the reviews and brought swimming shoes. But there are some spots in the water that do not have many rocks. Overall, it was a good experience and it was inexpensive.

Room Tip: The rooms in the 4000 building are closest to the beach and I also read that they are the newest
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Let me start of by saying this was the first time traveling to DR the summer of 2012, the Hotel boasts a 5 star, but lacks a LOT. The beach is rocky underneath, the pools and the bars were ok. The buffet made my travel partners sick. The pillows smelled from people who go to sleep with wet beach and pool hair unrinsed. The toilet was leaking. The staff was nice & helpful but security was on us all the time every time we "attempted" to step out of line. If your looking for an easy cheap getaway without paying a lot, then this is the place to go. If your looking for something more along the lines of better accommodations go to Punta Cana.

Room Tip: Make sure that you tell them if you want Ocean View. We did tell them that we ordered it online thou...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Bcapella, General Manager at Barcelo Capella Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Customer,

After a cordial greeting we will like to start thanking you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.com and for stand out every point of our service, we apologize for not fulfilling your expectations and for not making your experience 100% pleasurable, we also thank you for mentioning our good price-quality relation and will take actions to improve the points that you expressed are out of standard.

Cordially,

Patricio Vigouroux

Been to Barcelo Capella Beach Resort? Share your experiences!