“Beautiful location that makes you feel like you are in paradise, just needs minor improvements to become 5 star.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Capella Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Capella Beach Resort to your Saves list
Orbitz.com Booking.com
Barcelo Capella Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Villas del Mar, Juan Dolio 4750, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #4 of 19 hotels in Juan Dolio
Danbury, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Barceló Capella Beach Resort in Juan Dolio for 3 nights. The place is beyond beautiful. You seriously feel like you are in a magical kingdom in heaven, which makes it a very nice place to take pictures. The pools are very clean and well taken care of. The beach is also very clean and the waves are nowhere near big, so I recommend this beach for families with small children.

The Check-In process is extremely irritating because everyone crowds the front desk at check-in time and tries to cut you in line because they know the front desk people. My advice to you if you arrive at the hotel before 3:00pm and have to wait to check in - Begin to stand in line at 2:45pm just so make it clear that you are priority. The People are very nice and care about everyone, they just lack organizational skills because there is too much going on at the same time. So just compose yourself and don't let it get to you.

The fact that it is all inclusive, makes the bar feel a bit unorganized, so when you get to the bar, make sure you grab the bartenders attention by calling out his name or say " Ay Mano," and put one hand out. If you just stand there, and wait for him to notice you, you will never get your drink.

The Buffet area is very clean and there is a lot of food and a variety of options. Please be advised that during breakfast and lunch, flies will try to attack you and your food because the buffet area sends out a strong appetizing smell. SO PLEASE bring the strongest bug spray and spray every inch of your body and all your belonging, including your clothes in the morning before going to breakfast. Then repeat this same procedure before going to lunch. - I didn't bring a strong enough repellent and suffered attacks and bites. I had to go to the local store and get the OFF's Deep woods repellent (the strongest one) and it worked like a charm.

The night shows on saturdays are very FUN but some of the entertainment is not appropriate for young children, so just be aware of that and don't be shocked, it's a whole different culture.

A lot of the employees in the restaurant, buffet area, and bar don't speak perfect English, so they may keep it very short with you so they aren't embarrassed or humiliated. Now, if you throw in some Spanish words and smile, it shows that you are humble enough to try. That will win their hearts and they will become very loyal to you and always look out for you incase you need assistance.

The rooms vary. Some people get really nice rooms and others get the older ones. If you end up with the older ones, the cleanliness is a bit; therefore, don't settle for it, simply wait until around 6:00pm (when the check in desk is very slow) and ask to change the room. They will with pleasure. - they did so for me.

When you go shopping at the resort gift shop, DO NOT rely on the gift shop employee for the currency conversion. They will tell you the wrong price. My advice to those who have smart phones, is to download the "Ez Calculators" app. It has a currency converter tab and it is very up to date. I proved their employee wrong twice with that app. She tried to tell me 150 Dominican pesos was $5.00 when it really was $3.65. Then she tried to say 450 Dominican pesos was $14.00 when it was really $10.94. So be aware currency conversion at the gift shops.

This place was a wonderful experience, I left my purse out and about several times to test my surroundings and no one touched a thing. So people are trustworthy, just always maintain caution, but know that you are in a safe place.

Bottom line advice: Smile, lighten up, eat all you can, drink all you can, dance, take advantage of the activities they offer, and bring LOTs of singles so you can negotiate prices.

• Stayed May 2013

1,166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Turkish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

As always, i think your vacation is what you make it. The resort itself left a lot to be desired - the pool bar was very small, as was the bar on the other side, with only two stools. There is no beach bar. There is no sports bar which is a shock in the DR. The buffett food doesnt rotate much, not a lot of variety, so you have to make reservations for the other restaurants. With that being said - we had a great time. It still has the beach. The other bar, which later is the disco is the place to be during the day as it is less busy than the pool bar. Again, we had a great time, but i wouldnt go back to this particular resort (although i definately will be going back to the DR and soon).

G Man

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Wichita, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed here in May of 2012. The property and grounds were very beautiful, however, the customer service is horrible and the buffet food was below average. I went with 3 of my gal friends for my birthday, and we arrived very late at night and had trouble getting our rooms. We had booked 2 rooms and each were supposed to have 2 queen beds -- we received 2 rooms but only had a king bed in each. And that is where they left us, no offer of changing rooms the next day or any form of compensation for making us sleep in the same bed for 5 days. Rooms were decorated nice enough and had the appearance of being cleans. Towels are old, worn, and scratchy. Bed & pillows are sub-par.

The Food: Yuck. They did not tell us upon check-in about the dining options available or even where things were located. Apparently you need to book way in advance if you want to eat somewhere besides the main buffet restaurant. Also, not all of the restaurants were even open to eat in. I ate a lot of cheese sandwiches because that was the only tasty and sometimes identifiable food. (It reminded me of that buffet scene in Vegas Vacation that Eddie took Clark to. I kept looking for blue mashed potato slop. LOL) Also, even getting a water refill was ridiculous, and then if you tried to get your own water refill, you would get cussed in Spanish by the wait staff. I literally got told to "¡Siéntese!" and then she muttered "pinchy wetta" under her breath.

The Drinks: Watery, lack alcohol. One assumes if you drink a couple of drinks that you will get some form of a buzz -- Nope, never happened once in 5 days -- even when you ask for double rum. I've bartended for 20 years, and I still maintain that they water their alcohol bottles down. Drink only beer.

Nightlife: The shows were boring and childish. The one night club they have was outside and very dark. They played the same songs all night, every night. In fact the DJ played that stupid "I'm Sexy and I know It" song by LMFAO over 8 times in one night (we stopped counting at 8) Seriously?!

Communication: The hotel staff has the worst case of "not my job" mentality I have ever seen. You can try and talk to them, you can try and ask something from them, however, you will be met with one of three attitudes --1) they will walk away while you are speaking; 2) they will smile and nod and act like they are going to help and then leave 3) after you wait 30 minutes and then go to them again they will pretend you never spoke to them or they will tell you it isn't their job and you need to go ask someone else -- and of course that person will tell you it isn't their job either. I did not like spending my vacation constantly running around looking for someone in management just so I could get a towel, excursion information, hotel information, etc. Horrible customer service.

Room Tip: Don't book a vacation here. Just don't. There has to be other options available in the area...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The Barcelo has recently sold half of its property to their neighbor, Hemming way. The left side of the Barcelo is being demolished to construct new buildings for new condominiums. The beach is getting dirty. You can't relax with the construction noise going on and the local workers checking out the guests.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Passaic, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed at this resort for 5 days with my mother and sister from May 24 2013 to May 29 2013. As soon as I stepped on the property I was surprised at how beautiful and well kept it looked. I was expecting worse because I had read some bad reviews. Everthing is very clean, including the beach. The rooms were ok. Our room had a bad dingy smell and the bed was not very comfy, but I didnt care much because most of my time was not going to be spent in the room. The food is awesome. Being dominican myself, I enjoyed having alot of the cultural dishes. There are some restaurants that you can make reservations to. I recommend the " bohio dominicano." During the weekends a lot of locals come to spend some time with their families and it got a bit hectic. So during the weekend it may be best to make a reservation at one of the restaurants. The entertainment shows at night can use a lot of work. The dancers in the shows also host aerobics on the beach, competitions, volleyball, etc which i participated in and had a lot of fun. The entertainers do alot there and I give them kudos for all their hard work. They were very funny and I had a lot of fun and laughs with them. One of the downfalls of this resort are the rocks on the ocean floor as well as the peddlers on the beach. Luckily I had read the reviews and brought swimming shoes. But there are some spots in the water that do not have many rocks. Overall, it was a good experience and it was inexpensive.

Room Tip: The rooms in the 4000 building are closest to the beach and I also read that they are the newest
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Let me start of by saying this was the first time traveling to DR the summer of 2012, the Hotel boasts a 5 star, but lacks a LOT. The beach is rocky underneath, the pools and the bars were ok. The buffet made my travel partners sick. The pillows smelled from people who go to sleep with wet beach and pool hair unrinsed. The toilet was leaking. The staff was nice & helpful but security was on us all the time every time we "attempted" to step out of line. If your looking for an easy cheap getaway without paying a lot, then this is the place to go. If your looking for something more along the lines of better accommodations go to Punta Cana.

Room Tip: Make sure that you tell them if you want Ocean View. We did tell them that we ordered it online thou...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Bcapella, General Manager at Barcelo Capella Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Customer,

After a cordial greeting we will like to start thanking you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.com and for stand out every point of our service, we apologize for not fulfilling your expectations and for not making your experience 100% pleasurable, we also thank you for mentioning our good price-quality relation and will take actions to improve the points that you expressed are out of standard.

Cordially,

Patricio Vigouroux
Keene, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My first visit to the Barcelo Capella Resort Beach Hotel was December 7-21, 2012. Before travelling, though, I carefully read review after review on this hotel and must say I arrived there full of apprehension, based on many of the reviews I had checked out. I arrived rather late in the evening after a full day of travelling and was whisked away to the Front Desk for check-in. Now that happened to be a Friday and that is the day that many of the Dominicans will check in for a weekend stay. Whereas I had read on Trip Advisor of a gentleman who arrived on a Friday also but who had experienced long line-ups at the Front Desk, I had no problems whatsoever.

After my first week at this beautiful hotel, I realized that something had changed in me……….I had never been happier!! Because I wanted to recapture that happiness once again, I returned to the Barcelo Capella March 1-22. I find myself wondering, after I have just reread most of the reviews once again, if many of the people who wrote comments on this particular hotel actually were staying at the Barcelo Capella, but I’m sure they were. I encountered NO problems whatsoever over the 5 weeks I was a guest of this hotel.

So, I’m going to give you kind of a walk-through of my experiences while staying at the Barcelo Capella. A warm greeting by staff as soon as I left the van which had transported me from La Romana Airport. Check-in on the second visit went as smoothly as the first visit…..go figure!!! I had done my homework, as most every traveler does. I read extensively on just about every site I could see which had reviews on the Barcelo Capella and, as I have said earlier, my first visit was filled with trepidation. The concern I felt was wiped away almost instantly, never to return. The lobby is relatively small but, oh, so gorgeous.

Because I had read the reviews, I knew enough to request that I stay in the 4000 building, which faces the oceanfront. I had a beautiful view of the gardens and the El Pescador Restaurant was just to the right of my building. I had a wonderful bed and certainly no problems with pillows!! I remember calling the Front Desk in my December visit as I was having a problem with my TV. Within 5 minutes someone was knocking at my door to help me with the problem. My maids, my wonderful, beautiful, caring maids……there never seemed to be a moment that they were not smiling at me as they passed me or when they happened to come to my door. Phenomenal attention is given to the guests by the Housekeeping Staff. The only small negative I can relate is that my room entrance looked out onto an area where a disco across the street would play music until 2:00 a.m. Earplugs in…….no problem!! From reading the reviews, I also knew enough to take a face cloth with me, plus of course, gifts for the maids. While one reviewer mentioned rust spots in their tub and that they didn’t have a shower curtain, I had no rust spots in my tub and I certainly had a shower curtain. Another reviewer mentioned a rusty fridge in their room. My fridge looked like it was brand new and was well stocked each day with plenty of water, Coke or Sprite.

Now, let’s go on to the Restaurants. El Pescador, the main restaurant which serves a buffet for all 3 meals. I don’t even know where to begin telling you about this restaurant. I have never, ever seen such smiling hard-working staff in all my years of travelling. Yes, some of the food was different from what I was used to but, since I was visiting the Dominican Republic, why wouldn’t it be different? I certainly tried to taste most of the food. Senior management were on site in the El Pescador non-stop and jumped in quickly to help out when needed. The Chefs walked around constantly making sure everything was running smoothly. I would be greeted so often with handshakes, hugs and/or kisses on the cheek by the staff. I felt like I was part of their family. Actually, while I was there, a Health Inspector came to inspect all the hotel and, in particular, the bars. I was told by the resident Health Inspector that the Barcelo Capella Resort received a 93% rating!! I would call that a fabulous rating!! I would see the resident Health Inspector checking everything on a continual basis.

I did not eat at the El Batey de la Costa Restaurant so I am unable to discuss the food, although I did chat with one lady who told me that she and her husband had eaten there and they had thoroughly enjoyed their meal. On one evening I ate at Chez Fontaine, the French restaurant. I had a wonderful meal there served by warm and very competent staff. Now we come to my most favourite restaurant, Grill Las Olas. I wandered along a path beside the ocean one day in December and found this absolutely beautiful little piece of paradise. I would say that there were few days during my 5 weeks at the Barcelo Capella Resort that I did not eat lunch at the Las Olas Grill. There really isn’t anything nicer than sitting in a restaurant listening to the ocean and watching the waves hit the shore. You order from a menu at Las Olas or there was also a buffet offered. I absolutely loved having lunch at Las Olas and all of the staff were unbelievably friendly and very professional.

Talking about staff, I do want to say that there really was not a spot on the entire resort where staff did not wave to me, greet me with a smile and give me a hug as they hurried on to their jobs. I never encountered one staff person who did not acknowledge me with a smile and a hello. Of course, they do not speak fluent English……..we are in their country and I found it so nice to try and learn a little bit more Spanish with each passing day. One person wrote that they had seen broken plate shards on a pathway!! Really???? Believe me, no one walked those pathways more than I did and not once did I see even a piece of waste on the ground. I never even saw cigarette butts now that I think of it. Pathways were constantly being washed by staff. Two men were constantly wandering the Resort looking to spray where it might be needed.

Okay, let’s discuss one of my favourite spots….the bars!! Staff………once again, I stood in awe constantly watching their expertise and quickness in serving drinks to so many people on a constant basis. There is the Carambolas Bar at the north pool (you can also swim-up to the bar), the Flamingo Bar in the entertainment area, the bar at Las Olas, which by the way, has a disco until 2:00 a.m. each morning. Finally, there was the Las Redes Bar attached to the El Pescador Restaurant and looking out over the other two pools, once again offering a swim-up bar. Pools were incredibly clean and tested each and every morning and one day I sat and watched a scuba diver checking out everything beneath the water line to make sure all was clean. I never ever saw anything but extremely clean pools. A water slide is located at the north pool. I had a facial at the Spa and definitely plan on having another facial in June!!

The grounds…….where do I begin? Suffice to say that the grounds were magnificent and very well landscaped. A photographer’s paradise, really. Security is everywhere, whether hotel security or the police. Security is extremely tight with people leaving and entering the main area of the hotel. I felt completely safe, especially nice to say when I was travelling on my own. On the way to the Las Olas Restaurant, you will find an exercise building plus pool table and a tennis court. Oh, and let us not forget Melvin, the aerobics instructor and his great staff. Every day at 10:00 a.m., workouts were on the beach and dance and Spanish lessons were offered throughout the day. Tours to many different areas are also offered on the premises as well.

Mass is said each Sunday at 11:00 a.m. in building 2000. This building also is where you will find the Tour Operators and the computers, for which you pay $2.00 US for each hour. Well, have I sold you on the Barcelo Capella Beach Resort? I hope so, because I believe in it so much that I am returning there in June for my birthday!!

Room Tip: I would definitely suggest requesting the 4000 block.............it is well worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Customer,

Receive the warmest greeting from the Barceló Capella Beach Staff, is a pleasure to read this wonderful comments and to have fulfill all your needs at that level makes feel very pleased as this is our main goal, the way how you express every service offered for us is a sign of how you enjoy every corner from our facilities, thank you for giving us the opportunity of having you as our guest and for decide to comeback and allow us to serve you.

Cordially,

Patricio Vigouroux

The General Manager.

Been to Barcelo Capella Beach Resort? Share your experiences!