“Fun place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Capella Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Capella Beach Resort to your Saves list
Barcelo Capella Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Villas del Mar, Juan Dolio 4750, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #4 of 19 hotels in Juan Dolio
“Fun place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The hotel staff is very friendly and cordial. The resort is very well maintained in the outside areas, restaurants and the rooms. Daily changed of the bed linens and towels.
Buffet style breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lunch and a-la-carte dinner (reservation required)
All national drinks (cocktails, beers, soft drinks and wines with your meals) are part of the all-inclusive plan at the restaurants and at any of the bars until 2:00am.
Air-conditioning, Iron and ironing board, fully equipped bathroom: with hair dryer, magnifying mirror.
Daily variety show, the nightclub is open until 2:00am.
Tennis courts and gym facilities, games room (cards, domino, pool table).
Use of towels and sun loungers at the beach and swimming pools.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

1,201 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Turkish first
Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Me and my wife were in this beautiful hotel 6 years ago, on february 2007 but now when i am looking this photos it is stil the same.

After 11 hours long flight from Muenchen we arrived to Punta Cana. After that we need about 3 hours to Juan Dolio.

The hotel animation team is the best.

We were on some trips: ISLA SAONA - natural swimming pool, no comment
jeep safari, trip to Santo Domingo

My advice to all just go there and have some relaxing holidays, it is realy nice and beautiful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
W Madison St, Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I travel around the world for business. At Barceló Capella Beach I experienced the warmth of the people of Dominican Republic but I was alson impressed by therir commitment to excellent service at the hotel. Servers at the restaurant did not wait for me to ask another spoon or another drink; when someone saw me with a piece of luggage, he volunteered to carry it for me ; my refrigerator in my room was replenished daily with free beverages, etc. There was an evident effort to attain excellence. Te variety and taste of the buffet was amazing! Everything eas good . I will bring my wife to Barceló as soon as possible! She deserve it . Congratulation.

Room Tip: 4000 the best one!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Essexville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I just wanted to say that the 9 days I spent at this resort was awesome! The food at Los Olas and the the other ala cart was very good. The buffet was good and the service was good also. Pool bartenders Louize and Edwin were outstanding, friendly and funny! It does help to know a little Spanish at this resort, not mandatory they understand what you want! Beach was nice, water was great but there are some stones bring shoes! Stayed in 4000 building ocean front, was very nice had plenty of soda and water in fridge (no beer .Saw some reviews about dirty rooms not mine,girls did nice job keeping it clean! Grounds were kept very nice and clean. Mr Rosario and the staff at guest services were very helpful with side trips and a issue we had with ride back to airport.As a four apple resort it was everything my wife and I expected!! Gary& Karen USA

Room Tip: Try for 4000 building its ocean front
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The staff very helpful and very nice, rooms were basic, food was not good, went in March 2012. water in ocean and pool were to cold for me....None of the guest were American, so being that I traveled alone....not much fun.... enjoyed witnessing a transaction for an "escort" for a man traveling alone...lol....best part visiting extended family who lived a short distance....can't speak to entertainment, as I fell asleep every night by 10!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Hamburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I am german, I have just come back from this hotel. Who wanna invite this hotel, needs strong nerves. Hotel is dirty and bathrooms are like russian public toiletts. Personal on reception is till laughing you and if you re-claim anything, they will tell you "maňána"(means tommorrow or never). If you are there, ask part 4, other parts have got stinking rooms, smells teribly. I dont recomend this hotel for normal civilization as german, czech, austrian, slovak, italian people. All this nations was unhappy what they bought for vacation. Personal is cheeky and still expects money for everything. Internet, slow, very slow, for $10per day. Wifi is not good everywhere and still breaks.
Cards of door work just few days and you must change, all is broken. Shower, very strange if you are not gymnastic. If you have lucky day, you can get warm water from tap. There are fleas on the beach, but not so much.
If you dont want to survive 10 heartattack daily and dont want to have nightmares from this hotel, pay about 50eur more and you can be happy in other hotel in dominicana. I cannot believe, our agencies still offers this one.
If you still want to invite this hotel, dont eat eggs. They they didnt understand, that shells belong to bin. And, servis in restaurant is very slow. You can wait 20 minutes for knife and fork.
Worse as this hotel is just 2stars hotels in Egypt!!!!

Room Tip: Just part 4 and not on groundfloor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Saranda, Albania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was in the Dominican Republic for business last week and I was required to be in the Juan Dolio area. After reading all the terrible reviews of hotels/resorts in the area, Barcelo seemed to be the least of the "evils" so I booked it. The negative reviews of this place painted a picture of a roach motel in my mind. I just got back yesterday and I will tell you exactly what type of place this resort is.
First of all, you will definitely get your moneys' worth at Barcelo. I paid less than $180 per night all-inclusive. That is dirt cheap for a all-inclusive resort! The room was nice, the mattresses were ok, our room had a balcony, ironing board, safe, small table with 2 chairs, nice bathroom, separate sink area with make-up table and mirror for you ladies.
There are a 3 restaurants and a grill. French restaurant, Dominican restaurant, a buffet style restaurant and a grill by the beach. Bars are scattered all over the resort for drinks. The only food you pay for is Lobster. Everything else is included. You will not go hungry. I ate at the buffet most of the time and it has a abundance of choice in food. I rate the food good to very good.
As service goes, anyone who has been to the Caribbean islands knows that these people are on "island time" and their is no rush. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to get your drink or 10-15 minutes to get help at the reception desk but if you want to receive impeccable service you might have to spend $350 a night or more and stay at a 5 star resort. It seems to me that a lot of these reviewers expectations are not realistic, they want fine restaurant service while eating at McDonalds (not to compare Barcelo to McDonalds). I brought 100 dollar bills with me and tipped every employee that I dealt with a dollar or 2, by the second day word got out to the staff that I was a "tipper" and i began receiving the "5 star" treatment. Keep in mind compared to American wages these people work for nothing so a dollar or 2 is very much appreciated. It seemed that the employees were accustomed to dealing with "cheap skate tourist". I gave the maid $2 everyday, my room was always spotless,she gave me extra towels everyday and even offered to polish my shoes and iron my shirts.
There is plenty of entertainment on the resort, nightclub, bars and a nightly show. You can leave the resort and within 1 block you have a supermarket, pharmacy, nail salon, cafe, and a small bar for the "single" men looking to get acquainted with local women, however,the hotel will not allow you to bring guests into the resort. The area is not dangerous, just exercise the same caution you would in any major U.S city. We met a local,Franco, bought him a few drinks and he was our new best friend. He found us a personal driver for $35/day. He escorted us to some local bars in San Pedro where we had a great time.
I felt compelled to write this review because of all of the untrue/unrealistic negative reviews I read about Barcelo. You get what you pay for, in this case you are paying 3 star money for a 3 star resort. If business/pleasure bring me back to the Dominican Republic I would stay at Barcelo again. My entire trip with airfare, food and hotel for 5 nights cost me $850 (my friend and I split the room). Where else in the Caribbean are you going to find that price?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Barcelo Capella Beach Resort? Share your experiences!