“Dont stay here!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Capella Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Capella Beach Resort to your Saves list
Barcelo Capella Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Villas del Mar, Juan Dolio 4750, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Juan Dolio
“Dont stay here!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

Go to PuntaCana....there is a lot of prostitution outside. Bad customer service musty rooms....i dont care attitude all around! Not family friendly!

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Turkish first
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

My family is actually from Dominican Republic so we decided when my husband and i came down for vacation we would like to spend a few days in a resort. Two people recommended this place. It wasn't expensive and wasn't to far from my family's hometown.
I'll start with the good.
I loved the first nights entertainment, a comedy show it was hilarious.
The drinks with the pool side bartender were to die for, if you go ask for a Miami Vice, its non alcoholic. Our room had a nice view and a small porch with chair to kind of relax, but the bathroom was kind of dingy and the toilet looked nasty.
The curtain didn't come all the way down so everytime someone took a shower there would be water all over the floor.

My few complaints about Barcelo is the food. it was disgusting. Also it wasn't Dominican food. It was tasteless American food. Thank goodness we wandered around off campus and found some awesome food (though the names of the restaurants escape me right now). The morning buffet was alright they did serve some Dominican fare which my husband loved.

We went snorkeling which was awesome and free but it did require a 2000 rd deposit which was returned to us after we were done.

Overall i liked it there with the wandering Peacocks who were quite friendly the staff who joked around with us. The relentless hawkers who we gave in and brought a couple of CDs and a coconut with mamajuana and honey inside with some skin care products. As for coming back i don't think so, when we return next yr we are planing to stay at the Barcelo in
Punta Cana.

Room Tip: Get the suites they are not that expensive and have a wonderful view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Barranquitas, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I just want it say I took a well deserve vacation to this hotel, and it was REALLY BAD, from check in it took about 2 hours to check in, Bell service really bad, Bedding is OLD and inadequate. HK service maid did what ever she want it since, she had a worker there family member and she seen to be back-up. I wrote a letter and gave it to Claudia who was the Manager on Duty on Monday, May 21/2012 at 9:00am, and I left Friday May 25, 2012 and I have yet to received a comment, I been in the Hotel industry for 22 years, and I gave them my Business Card with my e-mail and phone number. I just want to report this and to give you heads up and how discusting this Hotel is, NOT GOOD AT ALL!!!

Room Tip: My sister had another room 4203 and it was in bad shape too, my room was 4234!! really bad!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

the room is good. very clean and comfort.
but the food is not good.
everyday same foods in the main buffet.
i just could eat fruits.
...
and this resort is budget.
so toooooooooo many people in the pool, in streets...everywhere
and too noisy.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Saint Louis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I stayed from 5-16-12 to 5- 21-12. I was in the 4000 building on the first floor room 4109. I had 2 double beds. My room was clean when I got there. The maid cleaned everyday and gave me new towels everyday. I didn't have any problem getting my mini bar of one water, 2 Cokes, and 2 beers.

The buffet food was similar every day. At the end of my stay I was tired of it. The food wasn't horrible but nothing spectacular. I recommend going to Las Olas for lunch and getting the red snapper it's all included. Also if you want reservations for dinner at Las Olas or Bohio Dominicano you have to be at the guest services desk where you also get the tours by 7am to make reservations or it will full after 7am. They have a French restaurant Chez Fontaine but it's not included in the all inclusive package.

The pool by the buffet is always loud and lively with music. If you want something more quiet, go to the other pool on the other end.

They have a spa on the property. A one hour massage is $52 US dollars and a 1 hour facial is $52 US dollars. I had both and they were good. I really liked the facial. However across the street from the hotel is a beauty salon that does massages, pedicures, manicures, and cuts hair. Massages are $37 US dollars. The massage lady in the salon was a little better than the spa lady in the hotel. The only real difference is the spa bed is longer and the room is bigger. I'm 5'8 so me feet hung off the bed in the salon a little, not a big deal for me.

They do have some cable channels in English which was nice. The rooms in the 4000 building have hair dryers so don't bother lugging yours from home.

The internet is $10 a day. Sometimes the passwords don't work so if you have that problem return to the guest services desk and they'll fix it right away.

On Friday there were a lot of locals that came in, but they were all nice, friendly, and well behaved.

Also if you want some junk food like cookies and chocolate ect. there is a souvenir shop across the street that has some stuff. There is a small grocery store 2 minutes on foot up the street near the bank on the left side.

The staff was very friendly. The front desk and guest services speak English. Most of the maids do not speak English. If you speak Spanish it does help.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This is about the 9th or 10th trip my husband and I have made to various resorts in the Dominican Republic. We have stayed in Punta Cana, Puerto Plata, and now at the Barcelo in Juan Dolio. We have stayed at resorts with ratings from 3 to 5 stars and know we won't get 5 star service, rooms, food, and amenities at a 3 star resort. We only had a short 5 nights to get away and needed to be on a budget this time, so we chose the Barcelo Capella

It's actually very difficult to give the Barcelo Capella a ranking because some things about it we would rate only 1 or 2 and other things we would rate at 3 or 4. We did reserve and pay for an Oceanview room to insure we would be in the newer 4000 building. Some of the big travel websites only give the option of a standard room. We found Vacations to Go and the United Vacations websites give the option of paying a bit more for the oceanview. It's well worth it to assure you'll be in the 4000 building, even though our third floor room looked out mostly on the palm trees that line the beach and we really couldn't see much of the ocean from our balcony. We also suggest you ask for a room that isn't on the ground floor. Ground floor rooms in many places in tropical environments tend to be damp and musty.

Pros: We like the beach here. There are no palapas but there is a palm grove along the whole beach with plenty of chairs and plenty of shade and sun, whichever you prefer. We like the setting of El Pescador buffet at the beach. Very pretty to sit and look out over the ocean. We are snorkelers and like the fact that we can just walk into the water waist deep and see lots of fish of various varieties. (We bring our own snorkel gear for sanitary reasons.) The fish will come to you if you bring some bread from the buffet or you can just float over the shallow reef to see them. We are not so young anymore and the fact that there are no big waves here is a plus for us as we can get into and out of the water easily and don't get knocked down by the waves. We were at the east end of the beach, which is quieter, away from the animation and music of the pool bar, and we like the quiet. We like the fact that there are no banana boat rides, parasailing, or beach trampolines here. If you want lots of beach activities, this is not the place to go. If you want to snorkel and sit under a plam tree and read, the Barcelo Capella might meet your needs. In general, we find the Dominican people to be warm and friendly. Our room maid could not always meet our requests (extra towels or extra water for example) but it was no fault of hers; she tried very hard. Our servers at the buffet were rather quiet and a bit sullen until we talked to them (I speak some Spanish) and then they became quite friendly. I think some of them develop a quiet, unsmiling attitude because many of the guests are downright rude to them. Our room was basically clean, freshly painted, had good air conditioning, good water pressure, and we always had hot water when we wanted to shower. It was a bit musty when we arrived, but we've learned to expect this in the tropics. We bought a plug-in air freshener with us. We noticed that they washed the quilts, not just the sheets, when someone checked out, and that's a real plus. There are "better" hotels that seldom do this. We liked the fact that each floor of our building had ice machines. Some 4 - 5 star resorts require that you call room service for ice and then there's a wait.

Cons: The biggest con for us was all the vendors on the beach. The resort was not crowded when we were there in May and sometimes the number of venders was higher than the number of resort guests. During the prime beach time, them come by literally 4 and 5 in a few minutes' time, selling jewelry, pareos, cigars, water shoes, pedicures, massages, hair braiding, wooden carvings, full-size paintings on canvas, paintings on burlap, straw hats, and on and on.... They don't just pass by but interrupt you while you're reading and even say, "hola, hola" if you're sleeping. We realize this is a poor country and people are trying to make a living but, after saying "no gracias" for the 100th time in a day, it's difficult not to become surly. The beach: If you just want to swim and are not a snorkelers, the beach at this resort may not be for you. The reef is very close to the beach and there's a rough, coral covered bottom. You really need water shoes here. The other big problem is the fight to get basic necessities in your room - bottled water and towels. Each room is given 1 large bottle of water a day -- not nearly enough for two people in a hot climate. We kept asking for more but it never came. Then we discovered that there are refill stations at the beach bars and at the buffet, so you can fill your empty bottles or a container if you bring one. You just have to be proactive and do this yourself. Each person gets 1 towel in the room and 1 hand towel. The towels are taken away in the late morning and not brought back until late in the afternoon. They seem to have only one set that they wash each day, which is ridiculous, especially when the resorts isn't full. How expensive could it be for them to buy two sets of towels, one to put out while the other is in the wash? There are no washcloths, but we find this to be true most places in the Caribbe4an, in Latin America, in fact, that are not 4.5 - 5 star hotels. I buy a 3-pack of cheap washcloths at the Dollar Store and bring them then leave them behind. Beach towels also run out by late morning or early afternoon. If you don't get to the beach early enough, there are no clean beach towels left. In addition, while I'm on the theme of linen shortage, the sheets didn't fit our king size bed. The bottom sheet was a flat double bed sheet turned sidewards that came off each night. As others have mentioned, the people at reception are not smiling and friendly. We arrived mid-week and it was not busy at reception so we were taken care of quickly. If you can travel mid-week, I suggest you do so in order to avoid the Saturday and Sunday rush to check in and out. The servers and maids speak little English -- but this is a Spanish speaking country and you are in their country. Bring a Spanish/English dictionary if you don't speak the country's language.

Food: We only ate at the beach buffet and at Las Ollas, which requires reservations. We always found something we could eat at the buffet but there is no gourmet food here. The meats and fish tend to be overcooked. We found our best bet was to get whatever meat was being cooked fresh on the grill near the rear of the restaurant. The same veggies -- carrots, broccoli, cauliflower -- appear day after day. The fresh fruits are excellent. The banana and fruit crepes and ice cream, which were available. We made a reservation one night at Las Olas. One has to walk to reception and Guest Services in the morning to make a reservation. They don't take them via phone and they won't take reservations for even a day in advance. The fresh fish we had a Las Olas (Mero) was very good, much better than fish on the steam tables at the buffet. The drawback was that there was an upcharge for almost everything on the menu except for 2 fish, one chicken, one pork, and one pasta.

The population of the resort doubled as of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, with local Dominican familes coming in from Santo Domingo, which is only about half an hour away. We like the outgoing Dominican people and, after all, this is their country and their resort.

In all, we probably will go back to the Barcelo Capella when we need a short, budget vacation. We wouldn't go for a long vacation. If we do go back, we will bring our own towels, washcloths, water shoes, and a container to fill with water. It's a bit like camping out on your own, rather than being pampered, but the beach and snorkeling are good and those are the most important things to us. if you want luxury, pampering, gourmet food, and service personnel who speak fluent English, spend more money and go to one of the 4.5 - 5 star resorts in Punta Cana.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Me and my wife has decided to take a quick relaxing vacation and we decided to go there. I'm an avid traveler and have stayed in many classes of resort. First we went to the reception, they hired a bunch of young kids running with ideas of what they were doing and at times were very rude with customers. After 20 minutes of waiting time, i was taking to my rooms they were some big buds dead on the floor like this room hasn't being used for months. I was asked to change the room. They took us to another room, we simply drop our luggage and went out to the beach. At night when we come back to the room, we realized that there were leak in our rooms and the comforter was all musty. We call the front desk requesting them service at no avail. In the morning we went ask to speak to the supervisor he came inspect the room and totally agreed of the condition of our room. He was very nonchalant and didn't even offer an apologies. We check out and was very upset and disappointed that i didn't even get an apology from the manager. Upon my return i decided to send an email to the main office explaining the kind of treatment that i received. They simply responded that they consulted with the manager and completely downplay my encounter. As far I'm concerned not even pigs should stay at this location. I ask different people who have been there, all of them have back me up to how terrible the service is at this resort. This is my email and if management has read this post in they will remember who i am kimani10457@gmail.com

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Capella Beach Resort? Share your experiences!