“Average vacation for the bargain” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Wyndham Tangerine

You added Viva Wyndham Tangerine to your Saves list
Viva Wyndham Tangerine
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Sosua-Cabarete, Cabarete 00000, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Cabarete
Long Beach, New York
“Average vacation for the bargain”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

If you love surfing these beaches have huge waves. I've been to other all inclusive hotels so I wasn't really impressed by this resort. I did get good service the majority of the time, just at the snack bar the chef was rude when I asked him to reheat my slice in the brick oven. The pizza was different because they use dominican flavor cheese so I didn't like it. If you like Dominican cheese you probably would like it. Since I thought the food wasn't good what I always do is ask for recommendations which usually work. The hotel was nice to make dinner reservations for us for the Mexican restaurant on the first night. The food wasn't the best but it wasn't bad either. Asking for what they recommend on the menu was my best option. The buffet for lunch wasn't very impressive so I would walk around to see what was almost gone and then I would know what" kind of " food tasted good. The gym had enough machines to do a decent work out. My room was very spacious as well as the bathroom but the bathroom handles looked very worn out. I think the best thing about this hotel was the beach with its strong waves for those people who like to surf. $65 per night, I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Sir;

Thank you so much for your comments. We appreciate your feedback and that you have taken the time to write about your experience in our viva Wyndham Tangerine in Cabarete Dominican Republic. However we don’t want to say goodbye before explaining you a few things…

We are an international “All Inclusive” company and we received clients from al over the world therefore we make everything in our hands to please the majority of our guest with an international buffet and our a la carts restaurants with Mexican and Italian cuisine, unfortunately sometime we can not satisfy some of our guest however we appreciate your suggestions and we will find out the way to improve.

We thank you once again for your comments and hope you can give us a second chance to make it better for your next holydays.

Hotel Management
Viva Wyndham Tangerine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Polish first
huddersfield england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

after 2 weeks in sasoua at the casa marina house of horror I arrived here!
I can only say that it was the best hotel I have ever stayed at, from our arrival to our departure.

On arrival the reception was heaving with people. but we was given wrist bands and told to go enjoy the food and drink until it was quieter.
The resturants are immaculate and the staff are exceptionally well trained in their jobs. the food was fantastice and there was so much to choose from.
the bar staff are fantastic and as for the animacion team..... well they certainly make the hotel.
the evening shows where very entertaining and everyone who work there are happy to help!
the room was fantastic OMG I am going on a bit here but all I can sday is surley no one could be unhappy staying here. I WILL RETURN thanks for a brilliant week!!!

Room Tip: go see for yourself !!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your nice comments about your stay in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine. It was nice to read such a nice and detailed experience. Thank you for making us to realize the importance of our staff hard work.

We will make sure our staffs know about your comments so they can be proud of their job.

Looking forward to your next visit, sincerely,

Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I've been traveling to the Dominican Republic regularly (1 or 2 times a year) for nearly 20 years and have stayed in a lot of resorts, some good some not so good. This was by far the worst I've ever been too. Motel 6 hotels in the US I've been to are nicer than this one.

Staff varied from nowhere to be found to apathetic to rude (front desk gets that last distinction).
I really don't expect much. I expect the grounds to be well maintained, the food to be at least mediocre (it's a buffet), drinks to be readily available and a variety of things to do.

I came in as a "local" (there are different arm bands, apparently, depending on how you book). Perhaps that had something to do with my treatment, perhaps not, but the facilities were run down, food was nearly inedible (my children who will eat nearly anything, especially junk food) wouldn't touch most of it and there was next to nothing to do, especially for children.

Drinks were terrible and hard to get to boot (how hard is it to pour a beer...really?).

As a Wyndham Vacation owner, I'm rather ashamed of the company for this pitiful effort. Have some pride, Wyndham.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. There are so many good choices not far from here, a lot which are cheaper.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Customer,

First of all we would like to inform you that we always respect our guest opinion and we do understand that not everybody could have the same experience during their stay, our objective is to try our best and use constructive review to improve the quality of our service.
We are truly sorry that your experience was not what you expected.
We thank you again for your comments and for have been part of our Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Overall a great trip. Facilities were average. Food and beverages average. Price that we paid however was fantastic. A la carte restaurants ok. Beach fantastic and proximity to Cabarete a real plus. Staff friendly. Getting a beverage sometimes a lengthy process as usually only one bartender working on staff and occasionally a long lineup. Bring your own tumbler recommended. Many locals vacationing the week that we were there which was cool with the exception being that rules regarding kids at the adults only pool flagrantly disregarded. Security did nothing about this which was irritating. Also many small kids in the adults only hot tub. Had repeated problems with key card not working. Had to make 3 late night trips to the front desk to resolve. Seems to be an issue with their system but the comment was that we De-magnetized the key. Unusual as I've used these keys all over the world and never had an issue elsewhere. Some of the beach lounge chairs broken. Make sure that you get a good one before taking it to the beach. Animator good and volleyball games fun. The kite surfing directly on the Viva beach was amazing. Taking the local motorcycle taxis economical and fun. Booking a taxi at the front desk expensive. Walking the beach into Cabarete easy. Going the other way can walk for quite a few kilometers. Surf beach at Encuentro was cool. Weather great. Really liked the Cabarete area and the facilities at the Viva were adequate and again the staff was very friendly. Overall a good, relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: We initially had a room that was near the kitchen. Poor view and a bit noisy. We asked to be moved a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

Thank you for publishing your comments about your recently stay in our property, Viva Wyndham Tangerine, It was great to know that our service and facilities was suitable for you. Is really rewarding to read your positive comments and we are glad to know that your stay at Viva Wyndham Tangerine was enjoyable.

Thank you for choosing our resort and for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

Hotel Management
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Just returned from a great vacation at this resort, the staff is the most friendly I ever met, good food selection, nice beach front.
My room had a wonderful ocean view, you should always pay for an upgrade.
The shows are fantastic and I really loved the beach walk to Cabarete, I had a great deal booking on Internet my vacation, great value!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Sir,

We really appreciate your review published on Trip Advisor.

We are grateful for your remarks and especially we are happy to know that you had a great vacation at our Resort.

Thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Tangerine. Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at anytime.

Best regards,

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My friend and I were to stay at the Viva Wyndham Tangerine from May 20th until May 26th. However, the ‘resort’ and flew home early.

Upon checking in we requested a 2 bed room and the man at the front desk said, “okay no problem” however, when we got to our room we had a king size bed and a pull out couch. We called the front desk was told, “to call back again tomorrow as they were booked”. However, when we went to book a restaurant for that night (Monday) we were told the hotel was half capacity so both the specialty restaurants were closed on Mondays.

The condition of the room was old and rundown. 1) The wooden door to the room was so worn out and old that when it was closed you could see light pouring in from the outside. 2) The TV was broken. 3) There were stains on the floor in the bathroom. 4) We discovered cockroaches running around in the bathroom. 5) There was nowhere to put our shampoo or soap in the shower. 6) When we went to put stuff in the safe in the room we were told we had to pay $2 a day at the front desk to utilize the safe. With an all inclusive the key should be included. 7) The fridge in the room only had 2 bottles of water in it from the maid each day.

On our second morning when we were walking the grounds we came across some guy who said he worked at the hotel and that due to us checking in on Monday we were to take a tour of a new hotel (VIP) and we could switch hotels if we wanted to. We knew this was just a scheme to get us to buy a timeshare, however, the guy had a printout with my name right on top. The Viva Wyndham SHOULD NOT be giving my personal information out to other people for “special” offers. I booked with Viva Wyndham NOT VIP Suites or whatever it was.

When we were by the pool, there were no tables to put your stuff on. There were cement blocks that had so much dried alcohol on them that they were covered with ants and unusable. Also, the pool was to open at 9AM however, the pool man was still vacuuming the pool until 10:30ish every morning.

The towel rules changed every day. When my friend was returning our towels she was yelled at by the towel people when trying to get dry towels. The day before we had no issues getting a dry towel however on Thursday the rule had changed.

The drinks at this hotel were horrible (not a lot of variety, nor frozen drinks), the food was not ideal (we knew that going in) but thank god there was pizza, rice, and watermelon everyday or we would have gone hungry.

My friend and I paid the same price twice last year to go to Cancun and we did not have any issues. This vacation was cut short because it was not what we paid for. Upon returning home, we contacted our travel company, Wyndham, and Viva Wyndham Tangerine directly and received a refund for the days we did not stay at the hotel and returned home with no penalty.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Customer,

At first we would like to inform you that we always respect our guest opinion and we do understand that not everybody could have the same experience during their stay, our objective is trying to use constructive review to improve the quality of our service.
We are truly sorry that your experience was not what you expected.

London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I usually travel to Cuba and Europe and this was my first time traveling to Dominican. I have to say that I had an amazing vacation at this resort. The rooms were very clean and we had fresh drinking water botles everyday. The food (buffet) was amazing fresh, lots of variety, so I never even bothered to eat at the other Restaurants. Staff were friendly always smiling. I was truly impressed with show staff, as they work very hard to practice and put up a great show every night. Same staff also worked during the day offering a ton of fun activities for tourists. I love the ocean so for me was a bit of disappointment not being able to swim due to the high wind and waves, but I did suntan at the beach and swim at the pool. I did had a lovely and rested vacation and will go back to this resort ay time. Thanks to all staff at Tangerine.
Tina
Canada

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Madam,

We would like to express our deepest gratitude for your generous comments and for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful country. We are also delighted to hear that you are willing to be part of our group of loyal guests, whom year after year honor us with their preference in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

We look forward to welcoming you back in a very near future!

Kind regards

Viva Wyndham Tangerine

Been to Viva Wyndham Tangerine? Share your experiences!