“Viva Wyndham visits in October and February” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Wyndham Tangerine

Bookmark
You added Viva Wyndham Tangerine to your Saves list
Viva Wyndham Tangerine
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Sosua-Cabarete, Cabarete 00000, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Cabarete
Church Road, Virginia
“Viva Wyndham visits in October and February”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

After visiting Viva Wyndham in October and February, I would recommend a fall trip vs mid February, unless you are an avid kite boarder!...The winds in October were mild, while February winds were high. The resort itself is very nice with a very accomodating staff, friendly service. I liked the resort atmosphere...if you like to have music and activites throughout that day, the main pool is the place, however if you like peace and quiet there is an adults only pool area. Nightly entertainment was good...the performers are excellent in what they do. Food is average, large selection in the main restaurant, a Mexican restaurant, as well as Italian and a snack bar. If you are a drinker, the bar only has "generic" booze and draft beer. I ventured to the local marcado and purchased bottled beer for my room...The resort also has a disco for socializing.
The beach was awesome!...sandy bottom and wide sunbathing, walking area...the only drawback on the beach is there are many beach vendors!..I befriended one vendor by making a purchase, I then asked him to tell his co-vendors to please not bother me...which he did and it made my stay so much nicer...Also, the beach in October was more enjoyable vs February as the kite boarders were plentiful in February and the high winds made for blowing stinging sand...

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the stage as it is noisy until after 11 pm
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
VivaWyndhamTangerine, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Madam,

We are pleased you could enjoy your time in our resort and hope to see you here again soon.

Thank you so much for you comments, we feel grateful that you spend a satisfactory holidays with us at the Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Polish first
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

On the good side:
We went on the Living Social Deal at the end of October and we did receive a Oceanview room.
The hotel is dated but very well kept. We arrived early and our room was not ready but we left our baggage with the bell boy and went on to enjoy the pool and the bar (see "On the bad side"). Mattress was hard, pillows were horrible. Bathroom was ok.
Everyone was friendly. Buffet was good, however, the flies were annoying but it is the tropics.
On the bad side:
If you are a drinker: BOTTOM SHELVE LICQUOR... cheap (generic) licquor, leaving aftertastes and you could notice, for example that it was not Amarretto what you were drinking... stick to the Presidentes, which will be served in small cups and you will have to refill very frequently.
The guests were mostly locals and Europeans, Speedo's here we are! You will notice that Europeans are very secured of themselves. Some guests were loud and obnoxious. Pool had a very limited amount of towels available for guests.
Overall, it was what we paid for.

Dear Madam,

We really appreciate your review published on Trip Advisor.

We thank you for your remarks and appreciate your critic evaluating the offer and value.

Keep in mind that your observations are very important to us; please be sure that they will be considered in order to improve our services and facilities.

Guest Service Manager
Oshawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed November 3rd to 10th. The resort is small and everything easily accessible. Beautiful well kept grounds and the wait staff are very friendly and efficient. We were three, 50 something women travelling together & had requested a 2 ground floor rooms. Upon arrival we were given third floor walk ups. Okay, we could over look the mistake and never pushed the issue even though one of us had a bad hip. What we couldn't over look however was the reception cheating us when we exchanged money and we're not talking a little! Once in Cabarete, we went to the bank to find out the exchange rate and at this point in time realised the front desk had shorted us by several hundred pesos. We had no proof as we didn't receive a receipt from the front desk when we exchanged money. The next day, one of my friends wanted to change $50 Canadian and the same man on the desk was going to give her 685 pesos! At this point I told him that $20 Canadian is worth 700 pesos as per the bank in town so my friend should receive 1750 pesos. A woman working on the desk intervened, calculator in hand and viola, $50 Canandian turned into 1750 pesos. The male clerk said he thought my friend wanted $15 changed to pesos even though he very clearly looked at the money on the counter before saying 685 pesos. At that point we noticed that reception started giving guests receipts when exchanging money. I don't think we were the only people who were scammed this way. I also questioned why the exchange rate for Canadian money was less than American when on the World Currency Market the Canadian dollar is higher. Their response was that in Dominican, American money is worth more than Canadian. Really????

The rooms were clean and spacious and the maids did a fabulous job. Special shout out to Julio in the Italian restaurant! The hardest working and most friendly on the resort. The front desk staff should take some lessions from him.

When I go on vacation, I like to sit on the beach and swim in the ocean. Couldn't do that at this resort as they're known for kite surfing and of course you need wind and waves for that. Wind and waves we got and lots of them. The ocean was so rough that the waves knocked you over and under. This isn't the fault of the resort but if you're looking for pristine aqua water and white sand, go somewhere else.

The food was pretty good for the Dominican as were the drinks. We would not go back to this resort due to the front desk and the rough waters.

We rated the service as poor based strickly on the front desk experience. Take them out of the equation and I would have given service a 5.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I also went on a LivingSocial deal and it was our first visit to DR. The resort was very well kept, the food was adequate, our room was spacious and not one complaint (other than no ocean view as advertised) but hey, who needs the view from your room? One should be on the beach anyway. The staff was friendly and attentive. If you're expecting a 5 star, stay home, but you really get what you pay for. You can't beat the beautiful beach, friendly vendors that will leave you alone when you smile and say, "no gracious; no mas" and and the Mexican restuarant was the best of the 4 choices there. Just be sure to make your reservation. You can have a great, relaxing time there - "attitude is EVERYTHING"!!!!

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your feed back, it is always nice to know when our customers have fun and enjoy their stay in our property, we will be more than glad to see you back in our Viva wyndham Tangerine in Dominican Rep.

Guest Service manager
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went for a LivingSocial deal and had an amazing time! It was the four of us and the property was casual and beautiful, which in my opinion perfectly reflects the essence of the Dominican Republic. If you are an easy traveller, then you would be pleasantly surprised. The bathrooms are probably a bit "sub-par," but I was there for enjoyment of the area and not there to be pampered. The beach, pool, bars and rec areas are beautiful and within walking distance of a strip down the beach. There is also a DELICIOUS restaurant called Maraja's just 5 min away. :)

Dear Madam,

Thank you for you review… it is always nice to know when our guests enjoy their stay in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine especially when they get involved with our Dominican culture as you did. Thank you for having chosen our property to spend your holidays and please keep in mind that for us it will always be an honor to have you back.

Guest Service manager
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Me and three of my friends go there for our vacancy and we have fun but not more. The room is ok, the food is good but not in great quantity. the best thing is the animation, the animator are very good and entertaining. The activities are ok but not for all ages. The beach is beautiful and the sea too. But i don't recommend to go there if you're less than 35. We have fun but its only because of us and not the hotel.

Room Tip: only at second floor and third floor.
Dear Sir,

We are pleased you could enjoy your time in our resort Viva Wyndham Tangerine.
Thank you so much for you comments. We appreciate your feedback and that you have taken the time to write these comments.

Ana Luz Lopez
Fulshear, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I will start by saying you definately get what you pay for and we paid for the living social deal so maybe that is our first mistake.
There are so many things that I am unhappy about I will start with the few things that I did enjoy. The entertainment staff were great, very friendly and worked their butts off all day everyday. The grounds, pool and beach are nice and taken care of. And the espresso is good from the bar in the mornings. Other than that I would not give this resort a second thought.

For the not so great stuff...
We were greated by unfriendly staff at the front desk, they were not happy to be there and not helpful with the many issues from the get go. When we got to our room I discovered that there was still sand in my bed from the previous guest that stayed in our room...I would assume because the sheets looked dirty besides the fact that they had sand in them. When I tried to get them changed it was an ordeal. Again, the front desk was not wanting to help. We also discovered that each room gets 2 bottles of water per room per day. I would think that since it is an all inclusive resort that water would be included but no. I was told that if I wanted more bottled water to take the bottle to the bar to get refilled. Umm, NO! When in a foreign country you should always drink bottled water just to keep from getting sick! So we had to buy bottled water from the gift shop or the gas station across the street. By the way, the ladies in the gift shop were less friendly than the front desk people. I know all of them because I had to buy a lot of water from them. When we arrived and went through the line at the front desk with no help, we were told what our room number was and sent on our way, no direction or info on restaurants or when and where to find food. You know, only certain restaurants serve food for specific meals, like the buffet had breakfast, lunch and dinner but the other two restaurants were dinner only and must have reservation to dine. If you dont know any of this and try to go to dinner you will be surprised to find out that you have no options...not good. The bonus when this happens is that you are forced to go down the beach for food and it is 100% better than what you would have had at the resort. The drinks are MUCH better down the beach as well. Your options at the resort are cheap rum or cheaper rum or tequila. No thanks. We were there for 5 days and only ate at the resort one night. As for the title of my review, there are 3 ladies restrooms in the general areas and 2 of the 3 of them had no toilet seat! Why? I cant understand that. There are many more things to complain about but I will end with this. I had a good time because of the company I was with and thought that the Dominican is beautiful but I will not ever visit this resort again. I hope this helps you plan your next trip.

Dear. Mrs.

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine. We are deeply sorry we couldn’t meet your expectations.

Please be informed that our house keeping department organize cleaning program every day therefore your comments regarding sand in your bed is very difficult to be responded, but we guarantee you that it is impossible that your sheets have not been changed before your arrival, probably during the cleaning process due to the wind some sand entered through the window.

All our guest receive in their room daily as courtesy 2 bottles of water, the bottles could be refilled from many dispenser located in different area of the property, the water supplied from the dispenser is absolutely purified and constantly tested from external laboratory, therefore guest could be sure that they will drink safety water.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy any food of the tree restaurant at our property, please be aware that your observations are very important to us and they will be considered in order to improve our services.

We thank you again for your comments and for having been part of our Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

Viva Wyndam Tangerine

Been to Viva Wyndham Tangerine? Share your experiences!