“good but not more” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Wyndham Tangerine

Save Saved
You added Viva Wyndham Tangerine to your Saves list
Viva Wyndham Tangerine
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Sosua-Cabarete, Cabarete 00000, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 21 hotels in Cabarete
Montreal, Canada
“good but not more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Me and three of my friends go there for our vacancy and we have fun but not more. The room is ok, the food is good but not in great quantity. the best thing is the animation, the animator are very good and entertaining. The activities are ok but not for all ages. The beach is beautiful and the sea too. But i don't recommend to go there if you're less than 35. We have fun but its only because of us and not the hotel.

Room Tip: only at second floor and third floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
VivaWyndhamTangerine, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Sir,

We are pleased you could enjoy your time in our resort Viva Wyndham Tangerine.
Thank you so much for you comments. We appreciate your feedback and that you have taken the time to write these comments.

Ana Luz Lopez

1,039 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Polish first
Fulshear, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I will start by saying you definately get what you pay for and we paid for the living social deal so maybe that is our first mistake.
There are so many things that I am unhappy about I will start with the few things that I did enjoy. The entertainment staff were great, very friendly and worked their butts off all day everyday. The grounds, pool and beach are nice and taken care of. And the espresso is good from the bar in the mornings. Other than that I would not give this resort a second thought.

For the not so great stuff...
We were greated by unfriendly staff at the front desk, they were not happy to be there and not helpful with the many issues from the get go. When we got to our room I discovered that there was still sand in my bed from the previous guest that stayed in our room...I would assume because the sheets looked dirty besides the fact that they had sand in them. When I tried to get them changed it was an ordeal. Again, the front desk was not wanting to help. We also discovered that each room gets 2 bottles of water per room per day. I would think that since it is an all inclusive resort that water would be included but no. I was told that if I wanted more bottled water to take the bottle to the bar to get refilled. Umm, NO! When in a foreign country you should always drink bottled water just to keep from getting sick! So we had to buy bottled water from the gift shop or the gas station across the street. By the way, the ladies in the gift shop were less friendly than the front desk people. I know all of them because I had to buy a lot of water from them. When we arrived and went through the line at the front desk with no help, we were told what our room number was and sent on our way, no direction or info on restaurants or when and where to find food. You know, only certain restaurants serve food for specific meals, like the buffet had breakfast, lunch and dinner but the other two restaurants were dinner only and must have reservation to dine. If you dont know any of this and try to go to dinner you will be surprised to find out that you have no options...not good. The bonus when this happens is that you are forced to go down the beach for food and it is 100% better than what you would have had at the resort. The drinks are MUCH better down the beach as well. Your options at the resort are cheap rum or cheaper rum or tequila. No thanks. We were there for 5 days and only ate at the resort one night. As for the title of my review, there are 3 ladies restrooms in the general areas and 2 of the 3 of them had no toilet seat! Why? I cant understand that. There are many more things to complain about but I will end with this. I had a good time because of the company I was with and thought that the Dominican is beautiful but I will not ever visit this resort again. I hope this helps you plan your next trip.

Dear. Mrs.

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine. We are deeply sorry we couldn’t meet your expectations.

Please be informed that our house keeping department organize cleaning program every day therefore your comments regarding sand in your bed is very difficult to be responded, but we guarantee you that it is impossible that your sheets have not been changed before your arrival, probably during the cleaning process due to the wind some sand entered through the window.

All our guest receive in their room daily as courtesy 2 bottles of water, the bottles could be refilled from many dispenser located in different area of the property, the water supplied from the dispenser is absolutely purified and constantly tested from external laboratory, therefore guest could be sure that they will drink safety water.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy any food of the tree restaurant at our property, please be aware that your observations are very important to us and they will be considered in order to improve our services.

We thank you again for your comments and for having been part of our Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I just got married and went to the Dominican Republic for our honeymoon. We bought the Living Social deal. Immediately upon arrival at the Viva Wyndham Tangerine, we were greeted by our "concierge." He showed us around the property while we waited 20 minutes for our room to get ready. He told us we were VIP and showed us the "VIP area" which was a small area in the corner of the property with a wooden table and chairs. The VIP part was we got to use white, cheap cushions on the wooden chairs. Wow. He then said they had something special for us the next day. We would get free breakfast and lunch if we went to their other resort. Basically he was trying to push their sister property on us. We agreed to go at 8:00 am the next morning to get him to stop pushing it. We cancelled later on.
Next we were shown to our room. According to our living social voucher, we were supposed to have an ocean view room. That is not what we got. Our room overlooked the pool with no view of the ocean in sight. The room was extremely small. There were cracks all over the walls and the ceiling. The sheets and blankets were stained brown and yellow with holes all in them. The air conditioning unit was hanging out of the ceiling. There was a small 17 inch tube tv with fuzzy channels. The bathroom was extremely small. There was a stand up shower that was 3 feet by 3 feet.
We asked to switch rooms. They told us they could have one ready for us in 3 hours. While we waited, we went to the spa and got a massage. This was the only positive experience of the trip.
We then ate at the buffet. There were 2 restaurants on the property (1 Italian and 1 Mexican) but they only take day of reservations and they must be made before 3:00 pm. Since we arrived at 3:15, we couldn't make a reservation.
The buffet was well below standard. The only edible items were the pizza and the pasta station, which were bland and not much to them. There was a station where a chef was making beef kabobs. We watched him take the tongs sitting on the tray with the raw, uncooked meat and pick up a cooked kabob and serve it to a guest. This was our last straw.
The alcohol was a disappointment as well. There was only one beer served which was a light beer called El Presidente. It was watered down and not good. The wine wasn't any better. The white wine was very watered down and the red wine was very bitter tasting.
After an unsatisfactory meal, we were taken to our new room, which was exactly 2 rooms down from our old one. It was exactly the same except instead of a king bed we had 2 queen beds. There were no cracks on the walls and the sheets were not stained. We did have a slight view of the ocean, seen behind the pool. However, there were bugs crawling all over the wooden dresser by the TV and the white, sheer curtains covering the balcony door were brown and had holes in them.
Shortly after checking out our new room, we opened our door to find a maintenance man, who we had not called sitting by our door. He and a maid came into our room and went into the bathroom. They did not speak or understand English so they couldn't explain why they were there. The man took out tools and began fixing the door handle to the bathroom which apparently was jammed. The previous guests must have requested this fix.
That evening we went down to the front desk where we found a man guarding the front entrance with a shot gun. This was very alarming. Although he was there to protect us, it was terrifying to think that a shot gun and guard was needed at this resort. His presence confirms that the "resort" was in an unsafe area.
The next morning around 8:00 am , we were awakened by a loud pounding on our door. When we didn't answer someone unlocked our door and came in!! When we jumped out of bed, they were gone. I opened the door but did not see anyone there. There were no maids or maid carts around. We decided right then we were leaving.
We had to go to the front desk to purchase a card so we could use the computers in their computer center. We bought a card for one hour but when we opened it and entered the code, it said it was good for only 30 minutes. The code would not work on any of the computers. We then went back to the front desk and got a new card. Again, it was only for 30 minutes and not the 60 minutes we paid for. We were able to login on one computer but could not access the internet. The computers were very old and the computer center smelled badly, much like the other areas of the resort. We never got on the interne so the front desk reimbursed us but in pesos.
While dealing with this, my husband got cornered by the concierge from the day before. He hounded my husband as to why we did not go to the other property and tried to convince us to go. He was very pushy and unrelenting. We said we didn't want to go but he kept on.
The property as a whole was older and worn down. The buildings were cracked and needed repairs. The flowers and plants were very nice and welcoming. The pool was nice, although we didn't get to enjoy it. There was also a small jacuzzi that looked nice. The women at the front desk were very pleasant and tried to be accomodating. However, it's hard to be accomodating when the resort has so little to offer.
Our reservation was for 6 nights, but we stayed only 1 night. It was worth the extra money we paid to change our flight so we did not have to stay one more minute in that place. We do not recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine; We are truly sorry that your experience was not what you expected.
Please be aware that your observations are very important to us and they will be considered in order to improve our services and facilities.

Please notice that we have a weekly meals calendar for our Buffet Restaurant with a different theme each night, a variety for lunch and breakfast as well as 2 a la cart restaurant with Italian and Mexican cuisine however we apologize if what we offer was not to your taste.

Best Regards,

Seminole, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My son (22) and I recently experienced a great weekend at the Wyndham in Cabarete.

There is plenty to do in the area, and being in an affordable, all inclusive resort, offering great excursion within the resort (making it trustworthy), we had a time like no other... zip lining at the Monkey Jungle, 27 Waterfalls, walking distance to restaurants, beach bars and more.

The staff becomes like family, always there to help.

What more can I say... we will return with more family and friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sir/ Madame,

It is great to know you and your son had fun in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine, thank you for sharing your experience, It was a pleasure for us to be the location for you to meet friends and spend relaxing and satisfactory stay with us.

Thank you again for review and we wish to see you back in our property in the near future.

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I'm an old friend of this hotel, recently I brought 2 friends with me. To sell some more friends of how much of a fun time they'll have. (So next time we'll go with even more people). They had such a great time, that they said they would wish to move out there for a year.

It's best not to be shy and to make friends with the animation staff so they could show you around town.

This time around I brought a hookah with me, they allowed it. The people of the hotel who run it are really cool. Especially Diego, who allows it.

Here's an idea, they should have some hookah around. A lot of people were asking me where I got it and next thing you know we had a circle of people hanging out with us. lol

I've been coming here since 2005, since I was 20. Like I said, make it YOUR trip. Don't expect a trip to come to you. You got to make it happen, bring over some liquor bottles, hookah, be the life of the party. Make friends and you'll have a blast.

The place is small compared to other resorts, but it's perfect that way. You interact with people more

Short story put, my friends recruited more friends to go back again. This time we'll be rolling with even more people.

Remember to hit up onnos and all the other beach bars Cabarete has to offer. Everybody knows each other there so it's safe. But like I said, ask one of the members of the animation staff to bring you the first time so you can get a feel.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view
Dear Sir,

We appreciated that you and your friend really enjoyed together your recent vacation in our property; it was fun to read your comments. We are very please that you had a good time with us. We promise you that we will keep working to make sure you have another lovely experience like the one you just had, so you will never get tired to visit us. See you soon.

Best regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I purchased this deal through Living Social vacation and it was just an ORDINARY experience.

We arrived at the airport and was immediately taken to our transportation company, Turinter, that was a plus. Check in time was 3:00 PM and we arrived at the hotel approximately 1:30 PM but we were allowed to have lunch while the concierge stowed our baggage until 3:00 PM.

The exterior facade is beautiful and clean, the grounds are beautifully and lovingly manicured to perfection. There is a turtle pond and two swimming pools. The hotel is located on the beach and we had a spectacular view and could hear the crashing waves of the Atlantic Ocean.

The buildings are three storied apartment styled structures arranged in a courtyard style with an elevator as well as stairs for access to the rooms.

Free WIFI was available in the several common areas which was a plus although internet access in the internet room was available for a fee.

The room we were in was moderately furnished and decorated in a Caribbean theme; We had a few hiccups, the TV was not working properly and the air conditioner leaked. I would also suggest that the hotel add a garbage can to the room, there was only one and that was in the bathroom.

The bathroom had beautiful salmon pink tiles on the bottom half and floor tan tiles on the top half. There was a circular shower stall and HALLELUJAH !! a bidette, who would have thought; I have never seen one in all my travels. The lighting in the bathroom and in the room in general was very dim, bathrooms definitely need bright lighting, especially over the sink. There was also very little vanity space to put your personal items.

What I HATED was that there was no designated smoking area so if you were allergic to smoke or just hated it you could spend the whole day moving to try avoid the smokers.

There was a buffet food dining room where food was served at designated times and outside of those hours pizza and hot dog were available. I must say the best food was the pizza which was consistently good. It was baked in a wood burning oven and baked on site, Excellent !!!. While we were there from Tuesday to Saturday the meals went from hohum to bad only improving on Friday. Presentation is everything was definitely not a watch word for the kitchen staff. I know it was an all inclusive but the quality of the food was very poor. What saved me was most days there was a different stewed bean dish prepared Dominican Style. The cook was definitely heavy handed with the salt and the watered down juices were heavily sugared. I ended up making my own limeade daily with the fresh limes. I was also disappointed at not being offered much traditional Dominican dishes.

The daily activities were interesting both by the pool side and the exercise classes. The gym was a small room sauna style ...real hot !! but had the basic machines. It was a little irritating to sit by the beach as vendors were allowed to ply their wares and was sometimes too persistent, thankfully they were not allowed to enter the complex.

Security was very tight especially at nights where the officers were armed. I felt very comfortable walking through the plant covered walkways at nights.

On a whole the staff was very friendly and accommodating.

There was no in house information about the hotel or the daily activities and was advised to watch channel 94. Not very helpful.

Overall, I think the facility was clean, staff accommodating and was a good deal for my money. I do think that they need to work on the quality and presentation of the food.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Madame,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine; we appreciate you took the time to write such detailed review, and we are happy to know that you had a pleasant vacation at our Resort. We consider your comments very interesting and they will help us to improve our services and facilities.

We apologize for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your stay.

Kind regards,

Naples, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

When we first arrived we were greeted by a person for a time share that originally in the beginning they did not mention anything to us about that all the gentleman said was we will take you to another resort where you will have breakfast and spend the day their never did he mention anything else so for 3 yrs of our time we wasted it to hear about the B.S.
The service from the dinning rooms were good but the food was very salty and the drinks were weak. Sometimes in our we did not get hot water in our room.
One really important message I want to say is POOR MANAGEMENT ALL AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!! We had an important issue that we wanted to take care of and management had said to us that we will all sit down and go over what had taken place and no management stepped up to the plate. We were lied to. I am not going into details but I WILL NOT BE BACK AT THIS RESORT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Customer,

At first we would like to inform you that we always respect our guest opinion and we do understand that not everybody could have the same experience during their stay, our objective is trying to use constructive review to improve the quality of our service.

Concerning your comments about a request to meet the management we couldn’t find this request in our record, we apologize if some of our staff did not follow up your needs, anyway please be advise that we have a Guest services desk open daily where you can express your complains or request and they report immediately to our Management each issue.

We are truly sorry that your experience was not what you expected.
We thank you again for your comments and for have been part of our Viva Wyndham Tangerine.

Viva Wyndam Tangerine

Been to Viva Wyndham Tangerine? Share your experiences!