“First time in Puerto Plata” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Wyndham Tangerine

You added Viva Wyndham Tangerine to your Saves list
Viva Wyndham Tangerine
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Sosua-Cabarete, Cabarete 00000, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Cabarete
Clifton, New Jersey
“First time in Puerto Plata”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I was just there over the weekend with a girlfriend and it was great. The resort was clean and the staff was super friendly. There were people from all different places, it was awesome to see so many different nationalities. The rooms were clean, with enough space and a really nice balcony. We usually hung out there listening to music and drinking in between getting ready for dinner. The weather was the best during our 5 days. It only rain once on Friday night but the rain lasted less than an hour and it was while we were back in the room getting ready for dinner.
Food was ok, nothing out of this world. They had a different theme every night which was nice. And the Mexican restaurant was really good. Just remember to make reservation for the Mexican place either the day before or the day off. And they are close Sundays and Mondays.
They also have a snack bar that runs all day. They have burgers, hot dogs, pizza and fries. We had pizza and fries everyday. I think I gain 6 pounds by the time I came back.
The vendors on the beach can be a little annoying but just say "No gracias", they usually go away, but they will come back. This is how they make their living. I was kind of glad the vendors came up to us, I was dying to do the zip lining and monkey jungle but the hotel could not make it work during the time I was there. So we ended up booking it with Sergio on the beach. They picked us up the next morning at the front desk at 8:30am and we were back by 1pm. It is definitely a must do. It was AWESOME!!!! The guides at the monkey jungle were very friendly, plus the money goes to a good cause.
The animation staff was also great. The shows every night wdere entertaining. They are not Broadway caliber, but there is some talent in there. The Michael Jackson show was the best out of the ones we saw. And "baby face" the kid impersonating Michael Jackson is an amazing dancer. They also had another boy who is obviously classically trained. They were a delight to watch. During the day the animation staff did a nice job trying to get the staff to get involve in games. They did pool aerobics, Sexy Juan Carlos ran volleyball games on the beach everyday and Scooby Doo was trying to get us to play some game with a golf ball and a bunch of colorful balls. I never really understood it, or played it for that matter. I got my workout walking to the bar to get drinks. The bar was open since 10am, the drinks were a little weak, but it didnt bother us since it was all inclusive. The disco is really small, but since it was during off season it was not crowded down there. The animation staff hangs out with all the guest to make sure everyone is having a good time. We will coming back. It was lots of fun.
Our only complaint is the water temperature for the jacuzzi. It was really cold. We also went to the spa to get manicures and pedicures. The staff was super friendly but the water used for our pedicure was cold and there were no massage jets while soaking our feet like we are used to in the States!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
VivaWyndhamTangerine, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your nice comments about your stay in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine. We are pleased you had a good time with us and hope to see you here again soon. We appreciate your feedback, and please keep in mind that you will always be welcome in our property.

Best regards,

Viva Wyndham Tangerine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Definitely one of the best vacations I've been to. Came last week with a huge group of people.
Food: surprisingly decent. I've been to several other all-inclusive resorts where the food was terrible or infested with flies but Viva Wyndham was clean. The only problem with the food I had was their meat department. There were 2 days they served steak, either it's a bad part of steak or they just don't know how to cook it properly. I asked for medium well and my steak was so rare, I almost lost my appetite. The pork tasted like rubber. However, I felt that everything else was good. Every night is a different cuisine (french, dominican, arabic) so I thought that was interesting even though it's not authentic. But for the most part, it was decent. We tried the mexican restaurant; the porkchop was so dry that no amount of water was enough to swallow that rock down, the ceviche was delicious, the enchiladas were tasty; they served us mango margaritas and that was good.
Room: Spacious and clean for the most part. however, all of the pillows smelled. My friends kept having to get their key cards fixed because everytime they had their cards next to their ipads/phones, the cards would stop working so they were annoyed about that but i didn't encounter that problem. unfortunately we spent our last night dealing with a big ant invasion so we cleaned out all our bags and called the front desk, they sent someone up in 10 minutes with bug spray.
Entertainment: our first night was the best night. they threw a beach party so it's basically this huge awesome dance party on the beach with a bonfire. partied hard! the shows were okay. i heard the michael jackson show is their best show but we left before we can see that.
Service: the staff is very nice. my friend did have a bad encounter with the woman who worked at guest services where you make reservations for the specialty restaurant. So apparently, my friend approached her the first time to make reservations to the Italian restaurant for the next night and she told him very rudely that he can make reservations for the day of. So a few days later, he approached her again and tried to book the Italian restaurant for that night and she responded rudely that it was all booked and he should have booked the day before if he knew he was planning on reserving for the next day. He told her that she was the one who told him guests are only allowed to make reservations that day of and she was very rude throughout this conversation, saying he was making up these lies to her. some guest service that was.
Beach: beautiful! a little wavy for my taste but fun fun fun! no way to avoid the beach vendors. stray dogs that kept following us, and they were covered with flies, that was pretty gross.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Sir,

Thank you for having chosen our Viva Wyndham Tangerine to spend your holidays. We appreciate you took the time to express your experience in www.tripadvisor.com and write about your experience. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay even thought there were a few things that you didn’t like. We appreciate your remarks on the areas that you felt we need to improve; we can assure you that, thanks to your comments we are strengthening in those areas to improve our service and facilities.

Hope to see you soon,

Best Regards.

boca raton fl
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Sept 26-30, 2012 Where can I start?? Viva Wyndham Tangerine is pretty bad. Let me tell you why. The room was falling apart. Knobs missing from drawers, hinges broken so doors were hanging on by one, one plug in room so the alarm clock they provided could not be plugged in unless you unplugged the tv or tiny fridge. Curtains were dirty and ripped. Linens were the worst-like staying at a Super 8. The bathroom was large in space although there was a tiny, pedestal sink and cruise ship size shower stall. Bring your own toiletries-no shampoo or anything. Uncomfortable plastic chairs on the patio that were broken rending them unusable. Maid service came late in the afternoon during “nap time” so room was only cleaned once. The room we reserved was poolside, oceanview so the location and view were very nice. Most other room balconies overlooked the building in front of them which would have really been bad. The problem with the poolside room was it was VERY loud. Zumba happened in the afternoon at the loudest decibel levels the stereo could output. But I never heard hallway or neighbor noise which was nice. One guy at the recreation desk told me you could only have one pool towel per day no matter how wet or dirty it was. This compares nothing to the abomination that happened on the weekend. I guess Wyndham sells day passes to whomever and it was worse than you could imagine. The pool was completely packed with locals. Children in underpants instead of diapers and bathing suits, super loud Spanish music, all announcements in Spanish, beer drinking contests ect ect. It was like spring break. The “serenity” pool rules were not enforced therefore overrun with children and loud parties. There was NO way I was going in the pool after that and actually wanted to leave a day early so I wouldn’t have to deal with the madness on Sunday. The food was absolutely horrific at the buffet. Mostly inedible and some things unidentifiable. Limited service in dining room. If you wanted a drink from the bar or coffee you had to get it yourself. There was waitstaff picking up dirty plates but not actually doing any serving. There is only one bar for the entire resort with very surly bartenders. The tables surrounding the bar were all smoking and let me tell you what-all the Europeans were smoking out there at every table 24 hours a day. Lines can be long to get a drink and it seems like some people have no concept of a line so if you walked right up to the bar and ordered a drink in Spanish, you were served-while you got to enjoy all the second hand smoke. There also is no service for drinks at the pool or beach. Usually at an all inclusive there is constant drink service wherever you are. So you have to walk all the way to the bar, wait in line, walk back to beach and by that time all the ice is melted and the drink is gross-which they were anyway. I started drinking just beer which was Presidente-the only choice they had. The constant harassment on the beach by the “licensed” trinket sellers was so annoying. They would actually wake you up from a sleep to see if you wanted to buy an ugly necklace. So, there were a few good things. In the morning you could order an espresso or cappuccino from the bar and they were really good. There was purified water available in multiple locations. Free Wifi in lobby and by serenity pool. Dinner reservations to the Italian or Mexican restaurant were readily available although we were told you could only have one reservation every 5 days. But we were able to make them every night anyway. The food at the specialty restaurants was not as disgusting as the buffet but still pretty bad. The grounds were pretty and the beach was clean and beautiful. In the afternoon if the wind picked up considerably it was hard to sit on the beach with the sand blowing in your face. You can probably surmise I would never recommend staying here. It is 1* at best. There were condos all along the Cabarete beach that look nice, clean and quiet. I would stay there instead.

Room Tip: Go to 24 waterfalls
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

We can assure you that all of our client’s opinions are very important to us because this is one of the most reliable sources of information to improve our services and facilities.
We apologize for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your stay.
Please notice that we organize around daily activities such as water polo, aqua gym, Spanish lesson and some others activities and you hav some choice to select and enjoy it.

We are deeply sorry that you didn’t find our cuisines suitable. To be an international “All Inclusive” company we received clients from al over the world therefore we make everything in our hands to please the majority of our guest with an international buffet and our la carts restaurants with Mexican and Italian cuisine. For our a la cart restaurants we have a policy to allow our guest to visit each restaurant one time per week however we are very flexible and if a guest wants an extra visit to any of our specialty restaurant we let the guest go depend on the restaurant availability.
Please be aware that your observations are very important to us and they will be considered in order to improve our services and facilities.

Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Four aged 40 to 48 arrived September 19th for a week. Once we landed we grabbed a cab instead of the bus, check in was a breeze.

Rooms: this turned out to be the biggest disappointment. I had email ahead requesting building 25 or 26 but we placed in the main building where the buffet is. As soon as we hit the second floor there was a horrible smell that got worse in the hall leading to our room & even worse once in our room! We did ask to be moved but were told there were not rooms available & to come back in the morning, forget that I knew how that would turn out, total waist of time, thank god I took some linen spray that I had.

Food: yeh, not so good. No we didn't starve but this was the least selection I have ever seen at a resort & this was my 10th trip to DR so have a fair idea of what to expect.

Beach: great, loved it, lots of waves but maybe too much if you don't like that.

The selling point for us was the price & the proximaty to Cabarete. We went into town pretty much everyday for drinks & food, lots of cheap places for that. We would definately go back for these reasons. Don't pay a lot for this resort.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments on your recent vacation at Viva Wyndham Tangerine. First we would like to thank you for your compliments about our beach area, it is truly beautiful and it is certainly one of the best areas to practice the extreme sport such as kite surf and windsurf.

We thank you again for your comments and for having been part of our Viva Wyndham Tangerine, and remember that we will always be pleased to welcome you in our property.

Regards,

So Cal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Based on maximizing our FF Miles in the off season from the west coast, Puerto Plata was our best option, then what? We used CheapCaribbean (sorry TripAdvisor!) to find the all-inclusive Viva Tangerine in Cabarete. We planned on Scuba Diving and I'm a Kite-surfer so I brought a kite just to keep busy... You almost feel guilty keeping busy this place was so relaxing.

We immediately upgraded our room to an ocean view, the staff was great and we were both very happy with the new room, food and drinks ("mas, por favor!" when they pour helps save trips to the bar!). Wi-Fi was available in the hall ways put don't plan on uploading too many pictures, it's kind of slow but nice to have!!!

They had kayaks, Hobie's and boogie-boards to enjoy the warm water and sandy beach and even had a SCUBA connection there. All they are missing are SUP's, but you can rent them up the beach...

We planned ahead and made arrangements through Northern Coast Aquasports out of Sosua for our dive plans and were very pleased. After talking with the diver at the kiosk on site, they seemed to know what they were doing and also provide transportation to Sosua (the local dive destination). But, we had the fun of mingling with the locals in the "public taxis" and gua-gua's on our two trips up the road to Sosua to dive. We felt very safe and got a great taste and insight for the local life doing so. A little Spanish goes a long way but plenty of English is spoken.

Kitesurfing was awesome (Cabarete is kind of a mecca...) and renting a board was easy at Big-Air, right next door and there were 2 more shops just up the beach. I went downwind to kitesurf the reef/point and it was much more crowded there, so off the resort and the reef outside was much more fun and enjoyable.

The staff was fantastic and were very outgoing. They'll do their best to sell you tours and people we talked to were pleased with what they got. One couple from Texas paid somebody off the beach half the $$ for a tour the next day and the tour people never showed up, imagine that! Common sense, make plans ahead of time or deal with the staff on site. The hotel didn't charge a fee for a credit card when we upgraded but many stores in town do. Cash is king and they changed money at the desk for a good rate and no fees.

Only complaint is the water temp in the room. The shower was warm enough to rinse off, but our upgraded room had a jacuzzi tub that wasn't that great with lukewarm water. We turned off the (very efficient) AC and opened the patio doors to let in the warm tropical air to compensate, and with the sound of breaking waves and tropical drinks, everything was fine!!!

Room Tip: "Block 3" to be close to everything but you here the bar and dances, Villas 21, 22, 23 for...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir;

Thank you for your detail review about your recently stay in our Viva Wyndham Tangerine. We are glad you like Cabarete area one of the best places for extreme sports such as surfing, kitesurfing and windsurfing.

We are pleased you could enjoy your time in our resort and hope to see you here again soon. We feel grateful that you spend a satisfactory holidays with us and we appreciate your feedback and that you have taken the time to write these comments.

Best regards,

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Where do I start? We went to Viva in Oct and thanks god we only stayed 4 days. We got a deal on Living Social that read Ocean view room but when we got there that wasn't available and we were given a really bad room. We changed 4 rooms until we were finally given an Ocean view room. There is nothing good that I can say about the resort.
The rooms are dated, dirty and they smell like cigarettes. All the rooms that we tried smelled like that. You can only use each restaurant once during your stay, the buffet food is mediocre, the drinks are BAD (cheapest liquor) and you need an appointment for using the tennis court and the GYM (figure that out).
Another downside to this resort is that it is in town and the aggressive vendors have easy access to it. You can't enjoy the beach because they harass you every minute and they don't take NO for an answer.
The entertainment is pretty good they put on a good show every night.
The excursions are very expensive and we realized that we could have taken a taxi to the locations, pay for the entrance ticket and that would have been half the price.
I would not recommend this place to anyone and I will never go there again.
Not sure why it has good reviews but keep in mind that some people pay about $50/night and that is good for the money.
I would not rate this resort more than 2 stars.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are ok. Bad rooms: 1404, 1414, 1202,1521 Junior suites are horrible
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,
Thank you so much for your comments. We appreciate your feedback and that you have taken the time to write about your experience.
We regret you didn’t have a nice experience with us but we also hope to regain your trust in our product.
Regarding the photos you posted we would like to inform you that the one which was showing the closet is a misunderstang because the closet is located in the bedroom, that area in the living room should be completed with shelf but our maintenence did not fixed before you arrival, we apologize for the inconvenient. Concerning the gym and the tennis court we consider there was a misunderstang because it is correct that the tennin court needs to be booked at the reception in order to guarantee to our guest that it will be available at the time you wish, but our gym is open daily from 8 am to 1 pm and from 4 to 8 pm and guest do not need any appointment.
We appreciate your comments. We assure you that the issues you pointed will be taken care.
We hope you can give us a second chance to make it better for your next vacation.

Carrollton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was our first time to the Dominican Republic. It is a very beautiful island with lots of activities. It seems basically catered for tourists. We really enjoyed ourselves! Some observations about the Wyndham:

- very friendly staff! thanks Scooby Doo for the tennis lessons and Baby Face for spanish lessons.
- tip well - you will get better service. 39:1 ratio dollar to peso as of 10/2/12. Use pesos when possible: it's more convenient for the recipient.
- Beautiful, clean, well-kept grounds
- Wyndham upgraded us from an ocean-front view to a junior suite at no charge. This was quieter & a nicer room, although it's more away from the action.
- Evening shows are mixed. Our favorite was the Latin show & the Madonna show. Still trying to figure out the choreography for the Grease musical. What the heck was the sandwich all about???
- Food is so-so. Stick with the fruit and salads, avoid the meat and the breads. Get reservations for the Mexican (best) or Italian restaurants. Pizza at snack bar is good.
- Tons of activities. Always something going on.
- Go see Saury Santana at Obsesion Cigars in Cabarete for your smokes. Top of the line place. Go for his Dominican cigars - they are only $3-4 each. They rival cubans-excellent smokes. 809-972-2541.
- Excursions: we did "27 waterfalls"($63/person) and "paradise island"($85/person). You can buy them cheaper in Cabarete, but we got them from the resort the first day we were there. Both are a lot of fun and very cool in their own way. Be warned about 27 waterfalls: it is a very difficult and dangerous trek to get to the top of the waterfalls. I wouldn't do it again, although we enjoyed it very much. The guides are great and professional.
- Avoid the tap water in your room & the restaurants! We only used the tap water to brush our teeth & we still got Montezuma's revenge towards the end of the trip. Use bottled water only!
- You can get a safe key for $2/day. Worth it for the peace of mind.
- Be sure to fly into Puerto Plato...Santiago & Santa Domingo are several hours away.
- There are other resorts, like Lifestyles, that are closer to excursions we went on.

All in all, a fantastic trip! We hope to come back someday.

Room Tip: go for the junior suite. it's quieter, more spacious.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Viva Wyndham Tangerine? Share your experiences!