“Cute little cabins, make sure you see one before you commit!” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Kaoba
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Calle Principal, Cabarete, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #12 of 20 Cabarete B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Cute little cabins, make sure you see one before you commit!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Kaoba two different times and I would definately recommend checking out a room or two BEFORE you commit to staying the night! The quality and cleanliness of the rooms varies greatly! You have to pay for your stay upfront, so make sure you really want to stay here before you pay!

The front desk staff are not very friendly, but don't let this put you off. The hotel is located at the start of the town of Cabarete and is a 3 minute walk to the beach and a 1 minute walk to the restaurants, shops and other things. You can take a public carro or taxi from Sosua right to the hotel (just ask the driver to let you off at the hotel).

Make sure you ask to see a few rooms before you commit to staying here. The first time we were given a dark and dingy room that smelled very musty and the bathroom was not very clean. The second time we stayed in a much nicer room, which was cleaner and had a nice balcony, it was right by the pool and the bathroom was clean.

There is a mini-fridge in the rooms and some have closets or places to hang your clothes. There are no TVs or air conditioning.

There is a pool which is a great place to hang out and meet other people - it closes at 10pm though, so it is not noisy to sleep.

For the price ($RD 1000 a night) it is good value.

There is a great little bakery-breakfast place just up the road - turn right when you leave the hotel. Cross the street. Walk straight till you see Reposteria Dick on your left hand side. It is always busy and has VERY good breakfast for a very good price, they have tables inside and out. They also sell all kinds of breads and baked goods to take home-- -they are always busy, which is a good sign!

The town of Cabarete is a little seedy and at night there is a lot of prostitution. We just hung out at the beach during the day - great for long walks - watched the kite surfers and then at night we went for dinner to Pomodoros (a great Italian place on the beach) and went back to the hotel early. The nightlife here is very seedy.

I would recommend this hotel for its good value, good location -- just make sure you see a room or two first!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

I booked a room with this hotel and it was below standard so I requested a better room. I had wanted a/c and a tv. The room they showed me the air conditioner didn't work. So they took me to another room, in which the a/c also didn't work. Finally, I was shown a fourth room that had a separate bedroom in which the a/c worked but in the main room and bathroom the a/c didn't work. The front desk person helping me had to keep going back downstairs behind the front desk to find the right a/c remote that would work and keep changing batteries out from one remote to the next. It would seem easier to have them all stocked with batteries and the right remotes kept in the rooms themselves. Really an inefficient system. I was assured someone would come fix the a/c that night but no one showed up. Also, a light bulb in the room was out and I didn't find it the cleanest hotel in the world, and also noticed that each room was missing either washcloths or a bathroom floor towel in each bathroom. The only good thing I noticed was that the hotel was in a good location of town.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

This hotel is one of the few that's right on the heart of Cabarete's strip. The location is great!! It's right across the street from the beach. The rooms are pretty good. They're bungalow style, except for a few. Each room has a private balcony. The hotel istelf is quite private. It has a restaurant & their breakfast is pretty good. They also have internet at the hotel which is inexpensive compared to the other internet cafes in Cabarete. If you want AC, it's only $5 extra per night & a safety deposit box is $1 per night. The hotel isn't the best, but what does one expect if it's not a 5*...it's not the Ritz so people shouldn't expect that service. I've been going to Cabarete since 2004 & this was the 1st time at Kaoba & I'll definitely be going there again. The price is great, location is awesome & it's a very good value!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Holladay, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

We liked the privacy of the bungalows in such a crazy little town. The are just across the street from the beach and are quite clean and nice for the price. The shower was hot and the bathroom was clean. The bed did give me a kink in my neck, but other than that it was great. We just had a fan and were plenty comfortable. We did actually swim in the pool and it was cool and clean.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

This Hotel is average, Convenient, definitely not the Plaza...but clean
Stayed here twice before, reason? no, not the service, not the Cordial treatment from the staff (a bit cold).. not the pool (too small).

The reason I kept coming back is the budget price, the cleanliness, the convenience (across the street from the beach). I only had breakfast at the restaurant once. There are many cafes right in front of the beach (Still reasonably priced). On my second trip, I brought my elderly parents with me, they had a blast sampling some of the authentic local restaurants. (You get to interact with the locals..) from here, we were able to take day trips West to "Cofresi" and East to "Samana".

I'm not a fan of the "All inclusive" deals, however there are plenty of those around in case you dont feel adventurous and decide to change course.

Stayed February 2007
Baharona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

Great accomodations! Cabarete was packed for New Year's Eve and they still found us a room and allowed us to negociate how many people we could have. The pool was beautiful and full of international travelers.

• Liked — Walking distance from everything
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

Okay, first and foremost we booked this hotel in order to save $$ the first half of our vacation and then stay at a fancier spot at the end of the time. I thought this was a rather nice spot to stay considering it was only $58 a night (you never know what youll get for that price). The location is the greatest thing about this hotel- its about a 2-3min walk from the beach and there is a market, breakfast joint, money exchange , and wireless internet cafe just outside the doors. The hotel is situated so that the rooms and pool sit in a courtyard off of the main road and behind the main building. This is really nice since it stays remarkably quiet considering the noise of the main road, and its a nice spot to come back to and sit by the pool with a beer and not have to go back to your room. We had a room with a patio in the pool area- which I would recommend (after I walked around the whole property). The pool area stayed really quiet since I think most people just spend thier time at the beach. The room itself was a standard room with 2 queen beds, a kitchenette, bathroom with an odd shower set up (nice enough shower but when you turned on the water you had to make sure the door was closed otherwise it would shoot out onto the toilet-oh well) We brought alot of snacks with us (chips, granola bars etc since i read it was an expensive place to buy munchies coffee pot and coffee) The only thing with the kitchenette was that it had NO pots or pans- I think we could have possibly gotten some from housekeeping but with the great cafe across the street we simply opted to buy fresh pastries and great coffe every morning and walk back to our patio and eat breakfast there. The cafe is super cheap. Now for the oddities of the place- number one on my list was the amount of dog poo. Yep dog poo. There are a number of stray dogs in cabarete ( the hotel allows pets)- and the hotel might have the only grass available in the whole town, and the dogs take advantage of it. Granted there wasn't a ton of it (maybe 6-8piles) but come on! The rooms and the pool were so clean we assumed that eventually someone would pick up the droppings- no one did in the 5 days we stayed. Look Im a dog owner and I love dogs- but I clean up after my dog at home and I think the hotel should keep there grass clean too. The last thing that really bothered my husband more then the poo was the handful of creepy looking old guys with their teenage prostitutes that hung around the pool and the dining area upstairs. I didn't find it too appealing either but I do think that is one of the reasons people travel to cabarete- so you would probably see it at every hotel.
So last but not least- we would stay there again because its location is so great, and the rooms are really clean. BUt, if your really picky and a neat freak don't bother to stay here. Just remember its an island and you need to go with the flow. Try to rent a room around the pool (some have ac) but more importantly, there is a breeze and the buildings in the back behind the pool seem a little musty (plus theres poo there too and no breeze -you get my drift??)

• Liked — location, location, location
  • Disliked — dog poo, old scuffy guys with young, young girls
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Kaoba? Share your experiences!