“Bait and Switch” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 20 Cabarete B&B and Inns
Jefferson, NJ
“Bait and Switch”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2006

For nearly a year we had a confirmed 2 bedroom apartment, Christmas week reservation with Hotel Kaoba through Expedia. Yet, even after re-confirming our reservation direct with Kaoba by both email and telephone, when we arrived on Christmas Eve, Kaoba placed us into a one room efficiency! Well, mistakes can happen, but the actions of the Hotel Kaoba staff that preceded and followed cemented my belief Kaoba simply tried to stiff us.

When we first arrived the front desk clerk told me the credit card machine was down, possibly for days, and I would have to pay in full, in cash. I always give the benefit of the doubt, so I paid up. Then, once she had our cash in hand, we were led to the back of the resort, to our one room efficiency, three flights up, and just above the guard dog cage!

When I explained there had to be a mistake, and showed the Expedia reservation with Kaoba’s confirmation number, the clerk said there was nothing she could do until the next morning at 9AM. So we squeezed four adults in, and tolerated the broken toilet and safe, peeling paint, and barking dogs - it was actually funny in that black, comedy of errors way.

Early the next morning we were then told the manager was due to call in a little while. Now we knew we were being played (OK, my wife knew all along, but hell, it was Christmas! I wanted to believe they were decent people!)

Not content to wait on Kaoba to do the right thing, we made our way along the line of hotels in Cabarte and were able to book into the last room Casa Sans Souci had available! I then demanded our money back from Kaoba, less the 1 night stay. I think they knew they had played the scam too far, and quickly gave me back the rest of my cash. No apology, though - in fact, they clearly showed their disdain. Now that is brass, eh?

In return, this is my Christmas present to the staff and owners at Hotel Kaoba!

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2006

Worse time ever!
1. You pay for A/C, and they will turn off the A/C for not reason in the night. If you attempt to call the front desk, you wont find anyone. I went to the fornt desk to see if I could find anyone there, and I just found the "security guard", who dont have a clue of anything.

2. I asked to speak with the owner of the place. He happend to be around, and he told me that HE COULDNT DO ANYTHING, LAUGHING AND MAKING FUN OF OUR SITUATION. It seems tha he has bodyguards ( I wonder why??), and hes bodyguard, will pull out A GUN AND SHOW IT AROUND, INTIMIDATING EVERYONE. They insulted us, and then he left with no answers.

3. This place is really bad, the rooms are dirty, with tons of dust. The door of my room DID NOT close, it stayed open, and they just kept saying that they couldnt do anything. Terrible service.

4. There are better hotels in front of the beach, this place is across the street. Because is soo cheap, you will have a lot of Teenagers shouting aronud and wont let you sleep at night.

5. PLEASE, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND NOT TO GO TO THIS PLACE. IF YOU WANT TO BE THREATEND WITH A FIRE ARM, THEN THIS IS THE PLACE TO BE!!

Stayed November 2006
Westport, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2006

I can't put into words how much my friends and I enjoyed our Cabarete trip, and Hotel Kaoba was exactly what we needed. When we booked the rooms and considered how little we were paying, the most we hoped for was that the rooms would be relatively clean with beds and an OK shower. But when we walked in, we were literally rendered speechless by how beautiful it was. Our rooms were exactly what we needed, cute and efficient (no pointless luxuries), working AC, extremely clean, and fairly large. The location was fantastic, we walked just down the road for everything. We spent almost all our time outside as it was GORGEOUS every day, and Kaoba was a great place to come back to. We encountered a few bugs sometimes, but thats a basic reality of any tropical country. We couldn't possibly have asked for a better vacation, and I'd recommend Hotel Kaoba to absolutely anyone who just wants a laidback, fun-filled time!!!

• Stayed March 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2006

My husband and I recently celebrated our first anniversary in Cabarete. Knowing nothing about the area, we used Tripadvisor to find a good budget hotel. Hotel Kaoba was a great find. It was both safe and clean, which are the two most important things to me.
The grounds are lush and beautiful. The pool is nice, but we mostly spent time in the ocean instead. I definitely recommend getting a room with AC, a $5/day charge - very worth it! The cleaning staff did a great job everyday also.

The hotel is the perfect distance from the beach, just about a block away. (and the beach was gorgeous!!) It is also walking distance to some nice restaurants and shops. HIGHLY recommend the Creperie restaurant, a small spot at the entrance to the beach run by a family - amazing crepes, both dinner and dessert.

One quirk of the hotel is that there are no clocks of any kind in the rooms and we had to buy a cheap alarm clock so we didn't miss our flight at 7 am. It was great having the little kitchenette in the room. Also - the hotel does not provide bottled water, but it can be bought across the street for very cheap. The staff is very professional, but warms up to you after a few days. The internet in the lobby is also very reasonable and convenient.

Overall we had a wonderful experience and would definitely return to this hotel.

• Liked — Closeness to the beach; cleanliness; great restaurant
  • Disliked — No clocks in room
  • Tips/Secrets — Staff does not speak much English, Spanish is very helpful
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NEW YORK CITY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2006

When my flight leaving Puerto Plata was cancelled, American Airlines did not provide accommodations or transportation. I did not know the city, so I decided to take a cab to Caberete which we had driven through on our way to/from our destination in Rio San Juan.

I picked the Kaoba which I remembered reading about online, thought the rates were probably reasonable and liked the look of the restaurant as the cab drove by.

Even though it was after 10pm, the office was closed and they were in a power outage, the staff provided my with a clean, safe room and an excellent fish dinner.

As a woman traveling unexpectedly alone, I found my bungalow very secure and quiet. I loved the hotel with its beautiful pool and secluded interior hidden from the street. It was also convenient that it was so close to the town and beach. Not luxurious (the power outages and lack of hot water are probably an ongoing problem), but very clean and comfortable, the Kaoba is a great little hotel (and the rates were a steal!!). I hope to return one day for a longer stay.

If you like peaceful and friendly, this is the place to be!

• Stayed February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2006

Hola,
My family, all six of us, just returned from our vacation in Cabarete, Dominican Republic. We stayed at Hotel Kaoba, a great hotel and what a great deal.
We stayed there for 10 wonderful days (12-21-05 until 12-31-05) even the one day that rained. Hotel Kaoba has a very friendly and honest staff. The hotel owner has a great repore with his staff and it shows. The room was always clean, considering 4 kids messing it up. It was great having the stove and refrigerator in the apartment style room we had. It helps when you don't have to run to the market for groceries. I enjoyed the restaurant, gift shop and internet services offered, and they also have car rental. The fact that it's located in the heart of the city is nice because everything is within reach, especially the beautiful playa (beach). We will be building our own villa in the coming year, but in the meantime Hotel Kaoba is where we will be staying when we visit our new home away from home. I diffently recommend this Hotel.

Northampton Ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2005

Just read the review entitled "Troubled". I have stayed at the Koaba in Cabarete three times and have always found the hotel and staff just great. I once read in my Lonely Planet guide to the Dominican Republic that if you get impatient with people they will look at you like a impatient fool. This is what it seems the writers of the review entitled Troubled were acting like. Every time I have stayed at a hotel that offers kitchens I always need to go to the the desk to ask for equipment like pots, pans, plates and the like.

I really like these folks and to describe them as uncaring is wrong. They often don't have perfect English, but we are in their country, it is our responsibly to try to communicate with them. I have never had problems with towels. They even have some great blue beach towels for rent at the desk as you leave for one of the greatest water sport beaches in the world.

There are great restaurants just a few paces away and a wonderful bakery just across the street. Next door to the Kaoba there is a nice man that rolls cigars for you. I stop by early in my stay order my cigars and pick them up on my way back from the beach. I have been all over the north coast of DR and Cabarete is the place that I always return to, and when I stay in Cabarete I always stay at Kaoba!

Just one more thing. One of the best things about Kaoba is that they way it is set up, it is close to the action, but you walk up a few stairs to get to the lobby and then out the other side you walk down about twenty stairs to the pool and the bungalow is the tropical garden. This layout keeps the street noise from your room making it a nice quite place in this wonderful tropical garden.

Great place to stay, convenient and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2005

Been to Hotel Kaoba? Share your experiences!