“Great kitesurfing experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Laurel Eastman Kiteboarding (LEK)

Laurel Eastman Kiteboarding (LEK)
Millennium Resort and Spa, Cabarete, Dominican Republic
809-571-0564
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 43 Activities in Cabarete
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Laurel Eastman Kiteboarding (LEK) has been providing high quality kiteboarding lessons in gorgeous Cabarete Bay since 2003. Founded by American professional kiteboarder Laurel Eastman, the LEK flagship school in Cabarete teaches kiteboarding in a safe manner with a big emphasis on fun! A fully accredited IKO (International Kiteboarding Organization) center, all of LEK's qualified and multi-lingual instructors are highly trained experts and ready to share their passion for kiteboarding with the guests visiting Cabarete. Visit LEK inside the gorgeous Millennium Resort and Spa, located on Cabarete Beach, and experience for yourself the LEK style of service.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Stroller parking, Activities for older children
Aliso Viejo, California
“Great kitesurfing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Millenium hotel for 8 days and LEK was the perfect choice for renting kitesurfing gear. Just a few steps from the hotel and a few steps to the water.The conditions were perfect every single day and everyone at LEK was very friendly and helpful. I absolutely recommend it to anyone with wife and/or kids: they can stay at the hotel pool/restaurant while you're out in the water.

Visited May 2013

Montreal, Canada
“Had a great time learning to kite at Cabarete beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife and I spent a week learning how to kiteboard. The teachers were very professional and we always felt that safety was a priority. And the office staff were really great too.The school was right next to our hotel so we ended up spending a lot of time socializing with the teachers and staff as well. Can't wait to go back!

Visited May 2013
Ulm, Germany
“"Great first kiteboarding experience"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I wanted to learn kiteboarding for quite a while now but never got to it. We originally choose LEK out of all the other schools in Cabarete because we stayed at the Millenium and it seemed so convenient. Great choice! Maxine and Ricardo in the store are very friendly and fun talking to and Merijn, who was my instructor, is the best. He is really good in explaining things, knows a lot and is very patient. I had a lot of fun (swallowing ocean water ) and always felt safe. Another plus for beginners is that - at least to the time of year we went (low season) - the stretch of the LEK beach is way less crowded compared to kite beach. Bottom line: I would go back there in a second for more lessions!

Visited April 2013
Royal Oak, MI
“Bad equipment made it dangerous”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Dangerous, because of bad equipment. My first day on the water the line to the kite broke(bad equipment) and left me about 150 yards from shore with a “life jacket” that was in fact a big bag of water. (bad equipment) The instructor swam in and I managed to get in, but the life jacket dragged me down. I just made it in. The next day with enough wind, I was given an old seat harness that lacked two straps from the leg straps to the metal bar that holds the kite. I pointed this out and was told to just tighten it around my waist tighter. (BAD Equipment) The force of the bar riding up under my ribs, bruised my ribs, tore stomach muscles and wrenched my back. For the next three days of my vacation I could hardly move. Two weeks later my back still hurts.

Visited March 2013
LEKCabarete, Owner at Laurel Eastman Kiteboarding (LEK), responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Roy-In-Transit,

Thank you for your feedback, please accept our sincerest apologies, we feel terribly upset you didn’t enjoy your kiteboarding, and we are so so sorry. We really care about our students, and their safety and happiness is our main priority.

Moving forward, we will offer a higher volume vest to students who feel more comfortable with extra flotation. Also I have scheduled a company-wide training on tips to finding the best possible harness for every student. At LEK we inspect our school equipment daily, but we take your feedback very seriously, and are working on ways to improve our process.

We hope to see you again in Cabarete and wish you all the best in your kiteboarding and travel adventures. You can always contact us by email: info (at) laureleastman (com). I will also follow up with you via PM/email.

Best regards,

Laurel Eastman
Founder and Director of LEK Kiteboarding
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Service and Convenience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Rented a locker for the week for kite gear while staying at the Millennium. The staff is all extremely friendly and helpful. Lockers are huge and get you access to the bathroom, cold drinking water and the air compressor. Plus this launch is not nearly as busy as some of the other areas.
You also have the option for lessons, gear rental, purchases and repairs. Unfortunately I needed a kite repair while there and the service was overnight and very reasonably priced.

Visited April 2013