“cant express in words how much fun I had!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Swell Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cabarete
Swell Surf Camp
Calle Las Palmeras, Cabarete, Dominican Republic   |
Cairo, Egypt
“cant express in words how much fun I had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

First time in a B&B, and to be honest I was a little worried. But I LOVED IT!.. I love DR, I loved the surfing but honestly It was the staff that was amazing. I don't think i would have enjoyed my time if the staff wasn't great. They were chilling, partying and laughing with us even on their free time. Ash, James, Joel, Lourdes, and Anna were amazing . I was worried about the food.. But WOW it was amazing.

I even loved the guests... Really Swell, you hire the best people and attract the best guests. I will be visiting again thats for sure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

173 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Just got back after a 7 day stay at Swell Surf Camp where we had a blast! Waking up and hitting the waves changes your outlook on the rest of the day, and life. Great place to learn to surf, or refine your skills. Can't wait to go back!

The instructors were great! Ash, James, Joel, Neno, and everyone else at the camp we're super friendly, down to earth, and make this place amazing. Although we've surfed a bunch of different times before, it felt like we learned stuff about technique and the water that we never new before. This extends to the Airport pick-up guy Franklin. Awesome guy who makes a ride to-and-from the airport go by quickly with his friendly attitude. Joel took some awesome photos of us rippin' it up also.

Close walk to Cabarete's bars, restaurants, and amazing fish tacos. The website is pretty informative and reflective of everything that the camp is about. So read it, and book it already. Even if we could only go for a few days, we're still going try and get back here soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I wasn't sure it could be true, but Swell is just as amazing as the website and reviews make it out to be. The accommodations are clean and comfortable (I stayed in a dorm room), and the set up of the space means that after a morning of surfing, you can easily spend the afternoon lounging in the pool, napping in a hammock, or playing a game of pool or ping pong. What really makes the place, however, are the people. Ash, James, Joel, and Neno are the current instructors, and are all absolutely wonderful. I am a beginner surfer/not an athletic person at all, and after every lesson or word of advice from one of them, I could feel the difference in my technique and abilities. More than the surfing, though, what really made my experience excellent was the welcoming and fun attitude of all of the staff at Swell. I just got back yesterday and already checked flights to the Dominican Republic for the dates of my next holidays. It is worth every penny, so if you've got the time (even a few days is enough), go make your reservations right now!

El Jebel, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Swell surf camp and it's staff are everything they say it is on their site. I had never surfed before and the instructors always had an encouraging word with the proper corrections to your technique. They had me catching white water waves and wanting more. Others in my group were more advanced and to hear how much the instructors helped them get better made the trip perfect for all of us. They don't just push you onto waves they teach you which waves to go for and how to surf by yourself! Eat your wheaties because the waves were great all week! The accommodations and staff make you feel like you had come back for your 100th visit. I was at home and felt like I belonged in ten minutes. If surfing is what you want to learn or get better at swell is the place. The staff also freely gives their local knowledge to the guest as well. They tell you where they eat and drink and what you can expect from other places. Worth every penny! I am going back to further my surfing education in the fall.

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong.
Whistler, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I visited Swell on my own a few weeks ago, but within the first few hours I had a table full of friends. That is truly the only way to describe Swell and the atmosphere at the camp.

You walk into Swell off a dusty Dominican road and are transported into a little haven. A pool, hangout area and open kitchen and dining room for all guests, all surrounded by flowers and greenery. It made for wonderfully relaxing afternoons. Additionally, the dorms and rooms are simple, but far surpass most hotels I've been in because they are clean, and comfortable. In the camp, each and every one of the staff and instructors are friendly and outgoing, but in a way more like family than a fancy hotel, which instantly makes you smile in return and begin a conversation. This continues at dinners at Swell (which are absolutely delicious and healthy) where you sit down beside people you've never met, and suddenly two hours have gone by while you talked and laughed.

As for the surfing, which is of course why I booked my trip to Swell, I had never stepped on a surf board before in my life but was riding waves my first day with the help of the instructors, who thankfully don't make you stand around on the beach and practice in the sand all day! They were all so helpful everyday, standing in the water with us giving tips and pointers. Everyday in the water was a good day even when I was struggling, but when I would finally catch a perfect wave I realized why surfers get up early every day. I'm glad I learned to surf at Swell because now I will be able to take what I learned and surf again when the opportunity presents itself.

Honestly I don't have a single bad thing to say about Swell...I will be back! And I will be bringing friends!

Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Have been here twice now (September 2012 and April 2013). Well set up surf camp- pool, lounge area, pool table/ping pong, etc. The included meals are amazing. I never eat seafood but I cleaned the plate even when fish was prepared, it was that good. The staff are extremely helpful and attentive. Rooms are comfortable and very clean. I was the only non-beginner taking lessons at the time and my lessons were very helpful, great feedback. I have tried many different surf camps and this one is definitely on the short list of ones I would return to over and over again.

tadley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My husband and i went to celebrate 30 yrs and experience new adventures.
Swell camp delivered on all aspects, Haudy leads a superb team that look after you, she organised some great adventures, canyoning, horse riding and advised on great places to eat.
Lourdes was a great cook who always had a smile.
Surf instructors are superb, big thank you to J, Ash, Joel and James.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the more expensive rooms, value for money, great en suites and air condiioning
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Swell Surf Camp? Share your experiences!