“Eat next door” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Apartado Postal 337, Cabarete, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #6 of 20 hotels in Cabarete
“Eat next door”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, friendly and helpful reception staff, but awful food, service and value for money when it comes to eating. After my experience of waiting over 45 minutes for my order to come, counting how many other diners there were (22), starting to write this review and then being unable to find the waitress or any other staff member to find out what was going on,  I went next door to Front Loop to eat. Where I got great service, from friendly staff and fantastic food.

The waitress then caught me on way back. She tried to make me pay for the meal. I said I'd waited over 45 minutes, I looked for her, I looked for other staff. She said they were very busy, I looked at the 1/2 empty restaurant and said no and that at the time they had only guests and were 1/2 empty. She then tried to make me pay for my water which I didn't drink as I was waiting for my meal. I said no, the manager came over (I think it was) they said something in Spanish shrugged gave me a dirty look and said "ok" and walked off with no other words.

Fortunately there are many great places to eat here and as the price of the room doesn't include food, I'd recommend it as a place to stay but not to eat.

• Stayed February 2013
Villataina, General Manager at Hotel Villa Taina, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
We apologize for the long wait on Sunday night in our Restaurant.
Due to a technical problem with our gas oven our capacity for cooking was hampered. These things should not happen, especially on a Sunday night when it is hard to get hold of a technician. Most of the guests that were there that particular night were understanding about our situation. If you are still around in town we would be happy to make it up for you with a free meal at the restaurant.

155 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is the best place to stay in Cabarete if you love to experience the freedom and lay back style of Cabarete but assuring your comfort, cleaness and security.
Bedding are super comfortable, a/c works perfectly and there is always hot hot water for the shower.
Every detail is well taken care of and irganized.
The location is absolutely the best, located on Cabarete beach, in the center of the town, walking distance for everything you may need: restaurants, bars, shops, kite schools etc.
I just love the place, second time there and I will absolutely come back.
Thank you Villa Taina!!

• Stayed November 2012
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My high maintenance mother and I stayed here 4 nights and we both agreed it was great stay. Right on the beach in the center of town, restaurant serves great food, staff is very friendly and helpful. Most impressively, was immaculately clean. We had a room with a balcony on the street side and we never heard any noise from outside. Great value and awesome location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

In Cabarete, Hotel Villa Taina is one of the best options. It is located right on the beach and the rooms are spacious and clean. Staying at Hotel Villa Taina allows you to combine staying beach front with the ability to walk to the local restaurants in town. I would recommend staying at this hotel in Cabarete. The bartenders are very helpful with advise on restaurants, activites, etc., but the front desk is not as helpful.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the upper levels that is "ocean front" (although you cannot directly see...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Let me start by saying that the Hotel Villa Taina is a clean, nice hotel and perfect for individuals,couples and families who want to stay in the heart of Cabarete. However, we stumbled upon this hotel when needing to spend a night on a layover there on our way to Santiago, D.R. I walked into the hotel and asked the front desk clerk, Alexa, how much it would cost for a room for the night. I explained it was 4 of us-my husband, myself and our two daughters. She then said that it would cost $129 for the night which included breakfast. I then went outside to tell my husband, and we started unloading all of our luggage and coming in. When I started filling out the paperwork and handing over my credit card, she asks me how old our daughters were. I said their proper ages, 10 and 14. She then says that the price will go up to $169 since our older daughter is considered an adult. I then ask her why she did not ask me this before and give me that price from the get-go. She then says that I had said I had two girls, and I quote her, "and from what it looks like to me, your daughter is a young lady." I then asked her if she is insinuating that I was trying to deceive her about my daughters age, and she tries to worm out of it. I was livid! I have no reason to lie about my girls' ages, and I was completely offended that she thought that. I told her that as a representative of the hotel, it was HER duty to ask me the proper questions and give me the proper rate upfront and NOT after I had filled out the paperwork and gotten our luggage into the lobby. I felt deceived. She neither apologized nor made any exceptions. She simply didn't care. Since we had no other choice but to stay there since other hotels we had stopped by were full, I had to suck it up, but I was not happy and told her so. She even had the nerve to ask my husband why I was mad! Bottom line is that I wouldn't have been so upset if she had apologized and taken responsibility for her mistake. She simply didn't care and knew we had nowhere else to go. This is NOT good customer service. We then went up to our room where the TV did not work and the toilet was broken. We also had to walk up 4 stories to our room (luckily the bellman brought up all of our luggage), which I don't mind, but keep in mind if you have anyone with a disability or problem walking up stairs. There is no elevator in this hotel. The good news is that it was definitely clean, and despite facing the busy street, it was quiet. The breakfast buffet was also delicious, with eggs and crepes being freshly made to order, overlooking the beach.
We have been to many a hotel that was much better than this and did not have to pay $169/night. It was a total rip-off. I would not return to this hotel personally, obviously because I had a negative experience, but I would not count it out based on this if I were you.
I did complain to the front desk manager about her, and she agreed with me and was apologetic, so I appreciated it. The manager was very friendly and helpful, as we had some car issues and she had them resolved quickly and despite not being able to extend our check-out, held our luggage all day. I must say that I then had to deal with the front desk lady, Alexa, once again when one of our pieces of luggage did not make it into our car. She was courteous enough to hold onto it and have our driver pick it up. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but if you work in the hospitality industry, the customer is always right and you should want to make them happy or they will get a review like this, which was fittingly deserved.

Room Tip: If you have difficulties walking up stairs or are in a wheelchair, I do not recommend this hotel, as...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Would be back anytime! Great beach, food, service, clean... The only disappointment was the bed, too hard :) loved to see the surfurs, the equipment for kite boarding and wind surf, the people preparing to go and have fun. Close to lots of restaurants on the beach.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Gatineau, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Looking for quality service from dedicated staff? This is the place to go. The rooms are excellent and ideally located near the beach - however you may here noise coming from other rooms... The Villa is ideally located close to Cabarete's restaurants without being too close to be disturbed by the nightlife. The breakfast buffet is good. If you are there two weeks you'll want to explore other breakfast alternatives. The happy hour is quite delightful and everything you need is within reach. The beach offers easy access to chairs ideally located, top windsurfing school and proximity to most everything. When you step out the front enterance, you are right at the heart of Cabarete and when you step out the other way a beautiful resort atmosphere awaits. The pool is small, but most people are at the ocean anyways. Morning yoga with instructor weekly - the massage therapist is fabulous, however there are MANY VENDORS, which are respectful to NO GRACIA, yet bothersome!!! Overall, very pleased and we would go there again!

Room Tip: If you don't mind a bit of noise coming from beach and bar select ocean front. If you want absol...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Villa Taina? Share your experiences!