“Had a great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 13 Chiang Saen B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Had a great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2015

The location was just great. Opium museum just a couple of doors away. Near the Giant Buddha and view point. Minutes away from shops and jetty to get to Laos.

The group of us took up 5 rooms during our 1 night stay. The staff was friendly and great providing us with a quick check in. They also managed to put us on the same floor given the different types of rooms booked.

Breakfast is a choice of western or porridge.

Has a big car park so parking in no issue, and a rather nice sitting area where we gathered for the evening drinks.

Thanks for a great stay. Look out for the guard dog... too cute...

Room Tip: No lift. ask for lower floors if needed.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
bromsgrove
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

It was very good value for the money, ideally situated for our trip up to the golden triangle,
we stayed inside the hotel, it suited our needs for a overnight stop, to do all the tourist sights
and a boat trip over to the Laos island etc; .
we also found the shower area rather small & awkward, but all in all, no complaints,
I would recommend this as a stopover,

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Delft, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

The Baan Thai Resort is mainly a hotel, but it also consists of a few bungalows in the front yard. We stayed in one of them. The bungalows are probably more special and cozy than the hotelrooms, but our bungalow was very small. The double bed, that was firm, but not rockhard, was directly next to the wall, the bathroom was cramped, so you had to choose between showering stooped or getting the whole place wet.
The resort is not really in Chiang Saen, but in a small town that is home to the Golden Triangle, where the borders of Thailand, Laos and Myanmar meet. During the day this place is a kind of funfair, with lots of touringcars bringing in tourists to view the site. In the evening is quiets down and the village is given back to the locals. It's fun to stay here when everyone else leaves, have dinner and visit the night market.
We enjoyed our evening here, and slept well in Baan Thai. Breakfast was good (eggs and toast) and service was fine.

Room Tip: The bungalows are nice, and probably friendlier than the hotel, but small.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Baan Thai Resort is in a really nice location, about a fifteen minute drive north of Chiang Saen and a five minute walk from the Opium Museum and the Golden Triangle view point. It looks nice from the outside with green grass and trees and the inside is clean and cool. From the balcony in my room I could see the hills in Laos across the River Mekong.

I was greeted by a receptionist who spoke good English and shown to a room on the first floor overlooking the front of the hotel. A big clean room, light and airy with a balcony and a big double bed. It had quiet aircon, two free bottles of water, a fridge and it was quiet. I'd asked for a low pillow and there was one provided. The bathroom was clean enough, in need of some decorative work, but it was okay. Strangely, there were no complimentary soaps or anything else. Also, no room safe. No real problem. So far, so good. However, looks aren't everything and as I decided to have a lie down to recuperate, I was unpleasantly surprised to find that the bed was the hardest I'd ever experienced. I don't mind moderately hard beds but this was 'Flintstone' standard. Rock hard! I went and saw the receptionist and she contacted the owner/manager, a nice enough lady who spoke excellent English. All the rooms were the same except one budget room on the ground floor which had a softer bed which I gladly moved to. The room wasn't as nice, a bit dark, a bathroom that needed even more of a restyle, but more sleeper-friendly. I could manage but had to ask for my linen to be changed and the bed made up. It wasn't routinely carried out apparently. Only one big towel was provided.

I ate in the restaurant on the first night. The food was okay, nothing special, and of a similar quality to most of the other restaurants in the area. I tried another three during my stay. The staff didn't speak English but were very friendly and helpful and did have nice chilled beer in the fridge. A frightening storm hit the area one night and everyone had to hide at the back of the restaurant as the thunder and lightening crashed about. One thing to bear in mind is that the restaurant, like all the others, didn't serve desserts. I took my own one night, bought at the local night market.

Finally to breakfast. I can honestly say it was the worst I've ever had in any hotel. I will tolerate most things and don't expect silver service anywhere, but it was poor. There were no tea bags, only coffee and a murky green tea, so I provided my own tea bags. There were cold eggs, yoghurt and crumbly toast that fell to pieces as I tried to butter it. On the second morning the staff did cook me fresh eggs and there was jam, so things improved slightly.

This Baan Thai Resort has the potential to be a great hotel in the ideal location. However, it needs tidying up and a bit of decorating and management need to re-think their food policy and definitely invest in new beds...soft ones! Maybe I've painted a picture that is a little bit too harsh. I did enjoy my stay at the hotel, mainly due to the staff who were all likeable and the fact that it was in the heart of the Golden Triangle. I even had the car washed whilst I stayed, so it wasn't all doom and gloom.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

A nice little hotel, probably only rate 2 stars but it was clean, had a shower that delivered hot water, a fridge that worked (too well at times), Wi Fi access and in a central location. Only thing negative was the rock hard beds. I am used to a hard bed but this took hard to a new level. But the lovely friendly and helpful staff made up for any short comings there may have been. And they have the best traditional thai massage facility within the hotel grounds. I was staying there with a group of volunteers working with elephants so we didn’t eat at the hotel but from what I saw the food looked okay. But there are several excellent restaurants nearby particularly on the road out to Chiang Saen. A good place to stop over for a few days and use as a base. Accommodation was included in our expedition so I don't know if it was value for money but I am sure it was.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We actually didn't stay at the hotel (we visit there on our way to chiang khong), but from what we have seen the hotel is new and clean. It has good location, just 5 min walk to the 'golden triangle' and the local market. And Kanya, one of the hotel owners, is a very nice lady who can help you with anything and her english is perfect :)

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Baan Thai Resort? Share your experiences!