“A good provincial Philippine hotel, mostly” 3 of 5 stars

Dynasty Court Hotel
Tiano corner Hayes Sts., Cagayan de Oro, Mindanao 9000, Philippines   |
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Cagayan de Oro
Nashua, NH
“A good provincial Philippine hotel, mostly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I just spent 4 nights here and overall it was a pleasant stay. Staff was friendly, breakfast buffet was good and the location of the hotel is very convenient. It's located one block away from the Divisoria, a park which turns into a late night shopping/entertainment festival every Friday and Saturday night. It was also only a twenty minute walk to the Ayala Centrio Mall or 60 pesos by taxi. The lobby and dining room were clean and well furnished in a vaguely Chinese style. I get the impression that it's considered one of the better hotels in CDO. The 6th and 7th floors are used for functions, and a high school prom took place while I was there.
HOWEVER, there are three types of rooms in this hotel - standard, deluxe and suite. I booked a deluxe room and when I saw the room I was, to put it mildly, extremely disappointed. The deluxe room hadn't been renovated in at least fifteen years and was musty smelling with paint peeling and cracked fixtures in the bathroom. It was an unacceptable place to stay in. I went down to the lobby and spoke to the management. I found out that the Standard and Suite room had been recently renovated while the Deluxe hadn't, and they had no plans to do so in the near future. Why then call it a deluxe room?

I took a look at the standard and suite rooms and they had indeed be recently renovated. The standard rooms do not have windows and I need some natural sunlight once in a while so I upgraded to a suite. It cost me an extra 1000 pesos a night. I wasn't happy about the extra cost, but my stay in the room was pleasant enough. I was on the fifth floor looking out over the city with the mountains in the distance. I was on the side street and it was relatively quiet. There is a nightclub in the front of the hotel and I noticed that it got loud on Friday and Saturday nights

Please note that my ratings and reviews reflect the fact that this is a Filipino hotel. If this had happened to me in Europe or the USA I would have raised a huge stink and would be writing a scathingly negative review, but in the Philippines you have to roll with punches.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the "Deluxe" rooms!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Quezon City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed at The Dynasty Court Hotel for two nights.

This hotel is showing its age in various parts of the hotel. The lobby design looks like an 80s or 90s design and the restaurant has the same feel. The elevators are slow and chipped paint are visible. The walls at the halls leading to the rooms look like it was haphazardly repainted. Some parts of walls show patches of new paint over the old one.

The room in itself are air conditioned but the wall-mounted AC unit has seen better days. Although it was working, I felt the AC was a tad inadequate. It was an old National AC from the 90s. Take note, Panasonic has been the new name of National several years now. The TV is a flat screen mid 2000's Samsung CRT TV with a Parasat cable box. For the room rate, I would have expected an LCD/LED TV. The room doors are still using the door knob-and-key. The beds are just about OK. The table to put the luggage is insufficient. Only one medium sized luggage takes up 3/4 of the space. I had to put my luggage on the floor. There are complimentary bottled water available and housekeeping supplies you with new bottles daily. The bathroom is kind of upgraded. But the flusher is still old school. The shower head also needs updating. Toiletries like tissue paper, dental kits, soap, shampoo, lotion, buds and shower cap are all provided for.

However, I do see efforts in trying to upgrade and update the hotel. They're just not quite there yet. I hope these upgrading and updating efforts would be much more evident if I ever come back here.

What makes up for these shortcomings are the professional and courteous staff from housekeeping to banquet hall to front desk to security. They are attentive and seem to be good at what they do. Newspapers are offered at the front desk (Star and Bulletin). The lobby isn't really much to see but it's OK. Some of the wooden chairs closer to the entrance are made of solid hardwood.

Breakfast is free if you choose a room rate with breakfast. IT's buffet breakfast but the choices are quite limited. Only three types of food each time. They don't taste anywhere near fantasic but the taste is good to tolerable. There is also plain rice or garlic rice. The other table has cereal - corn flakes and Koko Krunch with milk, French toast, or you may choose to toast bread yourself with a toaster available or pick up some pancakes instead. Desserts are basically fresh fruits - watermelon, melon, pineapple, papaya, apple, and some small chocolate flavored puto (rice cupcake). Eggs are available. Just tell the egg cook how you'd like it cooked. Coffee is either instant (in sachet) or electronically brewed Rocky Mountain Coffee in regular or strong. Sugar or NutraSweet and cream is available. If coffee isn't your thing, Lipton tea is available to dunk in a hot cup of water. And then there's orange juice and lemonade too, but not the freshly squeezed kind.

For those with vehicles, parking space is observed to be quite limited. The hotel is in the middle of a busy section of CDO during the day. A bank (PBCom) with ATM fronts the hotel, so cash shouldn't be a problem. For those who like live band entertainment at night, one the other corner near the hotel, there's a place called Pulse. I didn't have the time to go there though and preferred a quiet night staying in the room with my laptop and free wi-fi. Signal is between average to very strong where I stayed.

Considering the room we got had no windows, no sound of traffic, honking, revving engines are heard. That's a plus factor. Better sleep. But since it has no windows, it always feels like it's still night time even if it's broad daylight outside. Not much is heard from the halls outside the room, so I could say the room acoustics are good and shuts out most of the hall noises like people talking loudly, footsteps, etc.

Overall, it's a good stay. I hope the place gets more upgrades. It's just the staff who made it more pleasant than I had expected.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Makati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have stayed a total of 14days in Dynasty Hotel in CDO on business trip. Location is really good. Its in the middle of downtown. On weekend, DVSoria (Plaza) is closed to traffic. There's a set-up of food stalls, 2nd items for sale, knock off items abound. My room is good for 2 at a daily rate is P1440 (corporate discount) or $34 (42:1 conv rate). Buffet breakfast is already included. The food is different everyday for 1 week. There's an egg station, they will cook your eggs no matter how you want it. The room is always made up. You may request for additional pillow but for a minimal fee of P12 or $.28. You have 2 bottles of water daily, 500ml, for free. There's little cockroaches though in the bathroom (but not all the rooms, i stayed in 3 rooms in 14days). There's toothbrush, shampoo, soap, earbuds, lotion. I stayed in a standard room, there's no window in it. The newspaper can be claimed at the front desk. The lights is soft yellow, I would prefer a flourescent light though. Cellphone signal is weak though. But the WIFI access is very FASTand FREE! Lastly, the staff service is the most important factor for me. They always have a ready smile. Technicians respond quickly. The staff are courteous from the doorman to waiters, to technician, to front desk. I feel very safe.

Room Tip: If you're a non-smoker, get the 3rd and 4th floor room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Asheville, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

On the plus side, the hotel was relatively clean and safe. The staff was friendly. The beds were of average comfort, being a little on the hard side. This was more of a problem for my wife than for me.
On the other hand, the bathroom, especially the shower was a big problem for both of us. The water pressure was so low in our 4th floor room that it was just a trickle of Luke warm water. It was barely capable of accomplishing the task of rinsing the soap off and not freezing us in the process. I hate to make too much of this, but a hot shower with good pressure is one of the main things I want in a hotel stay.
The bathroom was also spartan, having just barely the soap, shampoo and tp necessary. Lastly as far as the bathroom is concerned, the entrance to it had a 2-3 inch drop to the high school gym type tile floor. This wasn't a huge problem but could easily cause a painful fall when walking to the bathroom in the middle of the night with the lights off in order not to wake one's spouse. Actually for an older person than myself, a fall to a hard tile floor could be a real vacation ender if they break a hip.
As others have noted, this hotel is located next to a disco that plays loud music late into the night. If your room is on that side of the hotel as ours was, this could be a problem. I was so tired that I slept anyway, but between the hard bed and loud music, my wife slept little that night.

So what do I want from a hotel? It must be safe and relatively clean. On this the dynasty court was average. The beds must be comfortable and dynasty court was below average on this. The bathroom was far below average, being neither comfortable, attractive or even safe. At least it wasn't nasty...I've actually seen nasty before!

Room Tip: Stay on the side away from the disco. Also ask to see the bathroom and test the water pressure and h...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Cagayan de Oro hotels

Gold Coast, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

Dynasty Hotel was recommended by a friend and 8 of us stayed in 4 rooms for 4 nights. I stayed in the suite which was very good and I also had a look at the de luxe rooms where my other friends were staying and everybody was happy with their rooms and the services when required. As most would understand it is situated in the most central part of the city which is a bonus. There is always noise in the centre of a city esp in CdO where there is this night cafe. Overall I find this hotel a nice place to stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Quezon City, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for one night only on Aug 15. The selection and booking was done by my cousin. We were all flying in to Cagayan de Oro for a special family occasion and everybody was booked in the same hotel.
My room was a Standard room with two single beds (PHP 1,200/night). I had a difficult time sleeping in the one night I stayed because of the vibrating/rattling noise from the room air-conditioner. I tried adjusting the controls, but the noise remained the same.
The bathroom was a good size. The sink, however, did not drain well.
I drew the curtain to check out the view, lo and behold, there was no window behind the curtain, instead, a wall with an outline of a window painted on it. Duuh!
Check-in and check-out went smoothly. Front-desk staff were helpful in giving directions to souvenir shop. Hotel had a Chinese restaurant that we tried for lunch. Food and service were average.
For an overnight stay, or if you're on a budget, this hotel might suit you. If not for the cable TV, the room is almost spartan.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Brewster, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Upon my arrival in Mindanao on the way to Iligan City I usually spend some time in Cagayan De Oro. I have tried Hotels centrally located within the city as I have friends in CDO in various parts of the city who like to visit when I am there.

I had made reservations well in advance by E Mail, followed up by a written letter of confirmation by regular Mail and then a final confirmation by telephone a few days before my arrival. I reserved a smoking room, with windows which was ready when I arrived at this hotel. I like to check out everything in the room before settleing in such as TV, Air Conditioning, Plumbing, availability of Hot Water for the shower, lighting and general maintenance. Everything checked out OK.

The front desk and the rest of the staff at Dynasty Court have always been most welcoming, polite and helpful at all times. My room was well maintained during my stay by the housekeeping staff. Room service was quite prompt and courteous when I used them.

I enjoyed the restaurant at Dynasty Court and I had a large group of local friends there for dinner on several occasions. One item on the menu I developed a liking for is a beef mix served inside of a partially hollowed out Pineapple on a flaming plate. The beef and vegatables were well cooked, it was served hot and tasted very good. I scraped the inside of the pineapple to enjoy the freshest pineapple I have ever tasted. This has become a regular favorite of mine each time I have visited Dyanasty Court Hotel. The service in the restaurant was very good.

Security at this hotel is excellent and guests are always greeted with a friendly smile from the security staff at the main entrance. Taxis are available 24 hours a day right at the main entrance with several of them lined up waiting to take you anywhere you would like to go.

Dynasty Court Hotel is accredited with the Region 10 Board of Tourism. I would recommend, particularly for foriegn visitors, no matter what hotel you decide upon to make sure it is acredited with the Board of Tourism. Should there be a discrepency that the hotel staff can not resolve for you, you have the Board of Tourism to back you up if need be. On one of my visits, I met with the head of the Region 10 Board of Tourism, Mr. Chan who was very helpful to me.

I have always had an enjoyable stay at Dyansty Court Hotel and plan on staying there again on future visits.

Room Tip: Reserve an
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Dynasty Court Hotel? Share your experiences!