“Miss and hit, mostly miss...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Taal Vista Hotel

You added Taal Vista Hotel to your Saves list
Taal Vista Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Aguinaldo Highway, Km 60, Tagaytay, Luzon 4120, Philippines   |
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Tagaytay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Makati, Philippines
“Miss and hit, mostly miss...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We decided to celebrate our birthday (yes, my partner and I shared the same birthdays) and anniversary. I specifically requested a room with a lake view and even informed them of our birthday and anniversary.

When we arrived, no one even approached us. It's like they don't know what to do. No warm welcome or anything. So we went straight to the front desk and ask for assistance for our luggage. Upon check-in, I was asked for my ID, which bore my birth date and we were given iced tea for welcome drinks. They asked for Php2,000 deposit which they'd give back upon our check out, gave our key card and told we were booked in a room on the first floor. Our bellboy is commendable though. He even suggested where we could park for better access to in and out of the hotel. Our room is at the other side of the main entrance of the hotel.

We have stayed in a number of 4 to 5-star hotels and Taal Vista completely fell way below our expectation. It turned out the room given to us does not have a Taal lake view, which I requested and was told and confirmed of when I booked two to three months ago. All we can see is the road, well we can't even clearly see it because of the pine trees. Since we didn't want to spoil our holiday, we opted not to make a fuss out of it. I was allergic to dust, and the bedding is a bit dusty at that time and there's even a speck of it that get into the eye of my partner. We asked it to be changed and it took a while before somebody came.

The manager sent us note telling us to have a good stay but failed to greet us on our special occasion. No one greeted us on our birthday and anniversary, not even just a simple note. Other hotels would even send us a cake or slice of cake as a complimentary. I guess, we just expected too much from this hotel because we have read great reviews.

When we went to The Lounge to have some drinks our orders took forever to come. I don't know what happened to the staff on this hotel. No warmth and enthusiasm at all. We have eaten a few times in Cafe Ridge and we enjoyed the food and their service. It's a total surprise to us that the hotel service is not as good as the restaurant.

Maybe we were just at the wrong time. The pool is a long walk from our room so we didn't bother to take a plunge. It could have been a nice stay if they could improve their service. Upon booking make sure that you really get the room you requested. This hotel can be a great place, they just need to do something with their poor service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Pattaya, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Had a one nights stay here and it was nice. The buffet breakfast was varied and plentiful. It is quite a hike from reception to the rooms though and some of the signs are quite ambiguous. We ordered two glasses and a bucket of ice from room service at around 9pm. Three phone calls and one hour later it arrived; the only downside to our stay. Staff were courteous and polite, and the check in and check out was quick. Would stay there again and recommend to family and friends. The views from the balcony were great and it was only the rain that marred the view.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Muntinlupa, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We purchased an overnight voucher from Deal Grocer that included an overnight stay and buffet breakfast so we decided to use this voucher last July 27-28 for a quick staycation.
We were fortunate enough to experience a bit of fog when we arrived. The check in was quick and hassle free, with welcome drinks too.
I think we stayed in one of the older wings where we had a view of the.. roof. Well, I kinda expected it since we were paying 20% less. It was ok for me since we just planned to sleep and hibernate; i just drew the curtains. The rooms were newly renovated with ample closet space. The only thing I didn't like was the 'open' bathroom. I mean there is really no door for the bathroom, just an entryway. Although the toilet and shower space is isolated, I would still prefer a bit of privacy.
The cable was ok too with some HD channels. BTW, Sky Ranch was just a few steps away and looked fabulous at night.
On to the buffet breakfast [since we didn't eat dinner there]. I was excited because I love breakfasts. However, this one did not deliver as expected :/ The bacon was soggy, the waffles and pancakes lacked taste and the eggs didn't taste like anything at all. I've eaten at a number of hotels for breakfast and this spread was lackluster for me.
All in all, a great place for the view and still one of the nicest in Tagaytay, you might just want to eat somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Luzon, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My family and I stayed in their superior rooms last April. To be honest, I have nothing bad to say about the hotel. Everything is good – location, parking, food, service and accommodation. I personally love the complimentary drink. :) Buffet breakfast has enough variety to make us happy. If you like a nice view of Taal Lake, consider this hotel in your list. It's just a bit expensive compared to other hotels in Tagaytay. I just really hope they could improve the room utilities. Both fridges in our rooms don’t cool enough. There are no bidets at our bathrooms, too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We love that Tagaytay is so near Manila, the perfect short getaway for families with small kids. For this particular trip, I was looking for a place that has it all-- meaning no need to go outside since we've been to Tagaytay's tourist spots many times. Just for their garden alone, I would stay at this place again and again. There are not a lot of places in Manila where kids can run freely on the grass. It didn't hurt that the room was big, the beds so comfortable and the view is breathtaking. From our room,w e had a view of the lake/volcano and the mountains! The buffet breakfast was carefully selected, tasted good, and the whole hotel was kid-friendly. Our 5 year old loved the pool, and the lobby, and the kiddie play area and the fact he can run and run and run. We will stay here for another (hopefully longer) family getaway. here's a full review on my blog: http://got-to-believe.blogspot.com/2013/04/5th-birthday-tagaytay-trip.html

Room Tip: we had our room upgraded and the extra fee was worth it
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed here as the ideal base so we could commute to either Manila or Batangas within an hour. The hotel was beautiful, the room excellent and the service of the staff was as good as anywhere i have been. Furthermore, the Restaurant was brilliant and very well priced, as was the lounge who served some of the best cheesecake i've ever had.
I had the mountainside view which was OK, but to see it properly you have to turn your head 90 degrees to the left from your room which was a shame.
The Spa was very good, but not spectacular and the pool was impressive. There was a children's play room which was very average and seemed more of a token gesture really and the gym was adequate.
I will definitely be returning when i am in the area again, but i will get a room with a Lakeside view.

Room Tip: Get a Lakeside view if you can afford it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Baguio City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

first of all, I would like to emphasize that my review of Taal Vista is basically coming from a Personal and as well as a group experience..
An so the most anticipated celebration and venue came...from different parts of this country and different parts of the world we came ...
The Hotel employees made a warm welcome and the food was great.
We were all happy then through out the day spending time with our long lost friends, relatives and new found friends as well..But then after expriencing a horrible LOSS of important things stored inside our rooms...did then we realize that the Hotel doesnt have any cctv.. then it follows that it would be difficult to trace WHO the suspect/s were...no one was left inside the room because we trusted their security...(of course the doors wer locked) Nothing happened even after the Police incident report..Now that spoiled everyone's vacay :(
The housekeeping crew were very much annoyingly respectful... they kept on knocking and knocking..making noise along the corridor saying "housekeeping"...oh what if you're not a morning person..you'll really get annoyed
So...just for a tip to travelers...dont forget the safety of your things when choosing a place to stay...
We charged our sad experience to our own experience..
We were most grateful and happy with the other Transient House where we stayed..It was so so cool, pleasant and quiet and staff were friendly and you can enjoy the simple House with all its fun amenities.so cheap and SAFE. Not a single thing was lost but every happy memory was gained and if ever we would goback to Tagaytay, we will surely go back to this place , so humble, functional and fun.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Taal Vista Hotel? Share your experiences!