“Nice hotel...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tagaytay Wingate Manor

You added Tagaytay Wingate Manor to your Saves list
Tagaytay Wingate Manor
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Magallanes Drive, Maitim II West, Tagaytay, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Tagaytay
“Nice hotel...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

My review in this hotel:
Good points:
1. Room and the hotel itself very clean.
2. Staff very friendly and accomodating.
3. Large parking space
4. Wifi connection in our room since we are just 3 steps away from the reception desk.

Bad points:
1. The package is inclusive of massage for 2. Unfortunately, i didn't enjoy it. I was in pain. The next morning my whole body is aching. Maybe the therapist assigned to me is not good coz according to my son he had a good and relaxing massage. Maybe it depends on the masseuse assigned to u.
2. Free breakfast is ok. Food in the menu was quite pricey. The price is almost the same with the very good pizza parlor and fancy restaurant we went to outside the hotel.
3. Pool is ok except for the small dead insects floating.

Overall my kids and i enjoyed our stay and will definitely come back again. Hopefully there will be changes with bad points i have shared.

• Stayed June 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Makati
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I initially rated it a 3, but thought it deserved a 2.5, and upon writing my review, made it a 2. We got the room directly from the hotel's website, and it was the best deal we found. 3,300 for a regular room that came with a massage and breakfast - not bad for a weekend rate in Tagaytay. I booked 2 rooms for me and my friends.

Location
- location is quite good
- not far away from the restaurants, but not along the busy and polluted streets

The Welcome
- staff weren't smiling and friendly, but that was okay
- they had everything we needed and we checked in just fine
- annoying thing though, when we got there we were informed that the only massage time left was 5-6PM or the next morning - this was a very big inconvenience for us, because really, who would want a massage early in the morning? We later found out that their massage service is only until 6PM. I have had tons of massages in my lifetime and it was the first time I encountered a spa that is only open until 6PM.

The Room
- room was okay, not big, but not small
- clean
- TV was big enough, and my boyfriend enjoyed the channel selections
- bed was comfortable, pillows were soft --so that's a big plus
- room didn't come with slippers

The Bathroom
- it was okay, clean enough
- very basic amenities
- shampoo was bad, according to my boyfriend

The Massage
- worst massage I've ever had--okay fine, second to the worst
- it seemed like the masseuse was just dying to finish my massage, her strokes were very fast and light
- in the end though, I think it depends on the therapist you get, my boyfriend found his massage okay

The Food
- on the menu: not worth it, quite pricey
- breakfast was one of the WORST I've had in a hotel
- food was very OILY I had to use 3 table napkins to wipe the oil out of my bacon and eggs, and it still ended up oily

Amenities and Ambiance
- has a pool, but I would not swim there
- for a place of "wellness", they are really lacking in decorations and furniture

The checkout
- the front desk called us about 3 times to remind us to check out, really now, is it such a big deal to check out your guests if it's a Sunday and no one is probably going to be checking in?
- when we got to the front desk, the bill they gave us was wrong
- so many people were checking out at the same time that they attended to 2 more guests before us EVEN IF WE CAME FIRST
- this is really annoying since they were practically throwing us out of the room.

The Verdict
If you're looking for a place to sleep in Tagaytay that's clean and comfortable then perhaps Wingate Manor isn't so bad. I would think that you can find better value though for the same or slightly higher price though. Looking at the architecture and design of this place, it reminds me of one of those cheap resorts in los banos. I would not recommend this place, specially if it were for "wellness".

Disclaimer
I am very sorry for the negative review, but I was hassled, specially during checkout time. I also just finished writing a review for Nurture Spa Village Tagaytay and coming from my 5-star review frame of mind, Wingate Manor was a big disappointment.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed from 10th to 14th May rooms are clean and reasonable size ,staff are very friendly ,breakfast was good and in general food in the restaurant was good and reasonably priced although only eat in 2 times ,one of the few hotels/complexes with a good size pool and with a good depth with changing rooms etc ,massages that were complimentary with most room bookings were excellent (I regularly have at home every 3 to 6 weeks ) and were better or as good as I have at home and bearing in mind that they are probably paid the minion wage ( after first time I tipped them and at the end gave them each a food parcel etc ).
The only reason to criticise the place is that you need transport to get into town but you know that when you book it and yes it probably doesn't have some of the finer things compared to a more upmarket hotel in Tagatay but that's part of its charm - simple .I would definitely stay here again .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Don't be misled by the road leading to this nice small hotel. The hotel itself is very nice and clean. The people running the place is friendly and helpful. The place/surroundings tend to get you relaxed. It is a quite place, which is what many look for in a place like Tagaytay. Another thing I like about this place is its close proximity to Tagaytay's businesses, so easy to get to groceries, restaurants, attractions, etc.

Please be warned that google maps seemed to be off a little bit on where this place is. It is actually a little bit further down the road than what google maps say where it is. Don't worry, ask the locals (like people manning the stores or public transports, they know where it is).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Luzon, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Let me sort out,

Pros:
The room is good and clean
Food is good
Far from the city (for those people who want to be separated from the glowing lights and noises
Staff are very polite and accomodating
We had a free massage (Still ask them if they offer that)

Cons:
The place is a bit hard to find, there was a time that you would think that you are lost
No restaurant around, you have to go to the city
Expensive

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Wingate Manor is far from the city center so if you stay in this hotel you must bring your own car. I love the peacefulness and privacy. This hotel is only good for resting and relaxing. Nothing that you can do much here but if you just want to be away from hustle bustle of the metro, I recommend this place. Expect less in this hotel if you are particular about luxury. It could have been better if they put up huge and nicer pool since that's the only thing that you can do, swimming. Also, if you want to have better dining options better go to city center. Moreover, room is huge and comfy.

Room Tip: Lower ground floor is better since they dont have lift.