“Beautiful View and Nice Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Royal Taal Inn
Calamba Road | BGY Iruhin Central, Tagaytay, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #34 of 79 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
Wauconda, Illinois
“Beautiful View and Nice Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were met by a very friendly staff who continued to be wonderful throughout our stay. The rooms are adequate but the main reason to stay here is the view. Sitting on the rooftop you look out over Lake Taal and Binintiang Malaki, the "fake" Taal Volcano. We took the standard tour, riding in a jeepney down to the lake. We then took a boat to Volcano Island, where we road small horses up to the top of a crater. You should be somewhat in shape for the horses but what a view! The Inn is also close to the People's Park in the Sky, which is a half-finished mansion from the Marcos era with some wonderful views. Back to Royal Taal Inn, the driveway is really steep, which could be a problem for older visitors. Overall, my family and I found it to be quiet and relaxing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Catalunya
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My worst experience during long time. And the price is not cheap. Very distant (5-7 km) from the city, with no easy comunication (Jeepney). Decadent aspect, with impossible entrance (steepy, steps,...). Reception?... not really. Room? ...all old and spoiled, even the blanket down the sheet...!! (unbelievable...). Just a 10% view over the lake. People eating in the corridors...Poor breakfast. Never again. Avoid it.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My fiancee and I stayed at the Royal Taal Inn which is perched high up and it overlooks the Taal Volcano and the lake.

It's a slightly steep descent/ascent to and from the main road there, the staris are okay to use, we won't recommend parking there.

Checking in was done very well by the friendly staff there and they gave us a nice and comfortable room with the balcony overlooking the volcano and lake.

You will have to head elsewhere for lunch and dinner as they only serve a light breakfast. The nearest place for meals is about 25 minutes walking distance back in towards Tagaytay town. There's a nice restaurant with very accomodating service there and they serve some very well cooked local food there.

They have wi-fi available on the upper balcony.

The upper balcony is very refreshing especially at night with a steady breeze blowing. The sunset view of the volcano and the lake is well worth seeing.

Sleeping there was pleasant and quiet.

A quiet, comfortable and nice place to stay for the night.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This is a great place to spend a few days overlooking the Taal volcano, perched way up the mountain. Quiet, relaxing, very nice place. WIFI on the roof, free breakfast served in the morning , very clean and well kept. Staff is very nice!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I stayed overnight and it was a pleasant stay. It's quite far away from the restaurants and bars, being in between People's Park and Picnic Grove and hence it's in the highlands. With such a remote location, you get great views of the Taal Volcano from your balcony. Air is fresh and crisp.

As I was traveling alone without a car, I had to take a jeepney/tricycle everywhere. But being a foreigner, traveling on a jeepney/tricycle was a fun experience and so I didn't mind the laid-back transport methods I simply took my time to get from the inn to other parts of Tagaytay.

The breakfast was forgettable though. I was given one fried egg, 4 pcs of toast with jam and butter with filtered coffee, a juice and a plate of pineapples.

Room Tip: Room 1 is the best for single travellers
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Baguio, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I was not sure about what to expect of this hotel - the TA reviews went both ways, their website gave limited information. And we did want to stay at a nice place in Tagaytay. I am glad I chose Royal Taal inn. I rarely give 5 stars to a place - but they score high - especially because of the ambience, size of rooms, greenery and fantastic customer service.

I booked by sending them an email, and then doign a BDO transfer. Room rate for superior room was 3000 pesos including breakfast (juice, toast, butter, jam, fried eggs, coffee) plus they served us evening tea / coffee whenever we needed it.

For full details of my Tagaytay trip and Taal trek, you can read my blog - http://taaltagaytay.blogspot.com/

Reaching here is easy - if coming by car, take a left turn at the Olivarez plaza rotunda and go about 5 kilometres. Royal Taal inn is just opposite the T-unction of "Crosswinds". and is easy to spot since there are very few hotels in this part of Tagaytay. The entrance has a few red-blue-yellow flags, a big gate and a big blue board. We just texted the hotel once to get clearer instructions. Remind your trike driver that you have bookings, else they always want to take you to a resort of their choice.

If coming by bus, disembark at Olivarez square tagaytay stop, munch something at KFC and take a trike - tell him you have a booking at Royal Taal inn - opposite "Laverna house of prayer"

There are 3 two-storeyed buildings on a sharp slope, so views of the valley with all it's greenery are spectacular. Our room and balcony overlooked taal lake and we spent quiet a bit of our time just sitting there enjoying the peace. (btw, the view of the lake is not so great - from anywhere in Tagaytay, so this should not be a criteria for you to chose a hotel. Look more for greenery and peaceful surroundings). So you really are living in a bungalow / cottage.

Excellent privacy, clean rooms, large bed, big clean CR, shower has excellent pressure of hot and cold water (among the hottest waters I have encountered in the Phils - I love it!). There were large cupboards to keep our items, a dressing table with drawers, a writing table, some table lamps (unfortunately they did not work - else it would have been prefect), bright ceiling lights, a powerful aircon (we switched it off after a while, and enjoyed the valley breeze through the 2 big windows).

The owners have also kept a lot of potted plants all around which gives the place a very homely feel, and park benches which we lounged upon. I was walking around barefoot and the care taker immediately looked at my feet, and said "wait sir, I will bring you slippers" and she produced a pair of rubber flip flops for me! I have never seen such good customer service.

The walls were freshly painted in bright colours like pale green, adorned with paintings, and there is a settee just outside our room.

TV - they have cable tv, but only abut 15 -20 channels.... they had the usual Filipino channels like GMA, two sorts channels, cnn, bo, but not bbc or discovery or nat geo. But for 200 pesos you can rent their dvd player and dvds from the reception. we did not need it though, since we had just come to relax, tour around, trek the Taal volcano (reviewed elsewhere) and chill.

I think they have a total of just about 10 rooms (small establishment), most seem to have balconies. Breakfast is served (at your convenience - either in room or on the terrace where you are surrounded by forests and can see both - the lake and peoples park in the sky directly).

For meals, the management has smartly kept home deliver menus of kfc, chowking, jollybee, maxs etc in the room next to the telephone. so it is convenient.

The location was perfect for me - away fromt eh crowded hotels that exist between picnic grove and taal vista (the road is free of traffic). Peoples park is 20 minutes by jeep / trike; picnic grove is 10 mins away and the rotunda is 20 mins away.

The resort arranged the taal volcano trip for us - all inclusive it costed 4500 pesos from the inn to rockfort resort - + bangka + horses + guides + return drop.

So all in all, this is an excellent palce to stay - especially for couples and families that like peace and quiet.

Room Tip: The superior room has good views of the taal lake
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

This is not the place to stay in if you are all about the beauty of the room or facilities - this is not a fancy hotel. There are only about 4 rooms. Granted it could have been cleaner (dust in the lampshade, mould in the ceiling in the bathroom) but overall we were happy. We were in room #1 and it had an amazing view of the volcano. I booked online and it went smoothly and our room was ready when we arrived (we requested early checkin and got it). Yes, there is a steep incline to walk down (so not a good choice for seniors or those with disabilities) but our bags were carried for us both ways. The staff were responsive and good. They arranged for our tour to Taal Volcano and it was handled smoothly. For the price you pay, it was definitely good value for money.

Room Tip: Room 1 had the best view
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Taal Inn? Share your experiences!