“The Theodore in Tagaytay – THE Perfect Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Theodore Hotel

You added The Theodore Hotel to your Saves list
The Theodore Hotel
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Silang Crossing East, Tagaytay, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #6 of 79 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
Mandaluyong, Philippines
“The Theodore in Tagaytay – THE Perfect Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

For my friends and I, Tagaytay is a favorite choice for a quick respite from daily stress. This time, however, we found a brand new getaway which we consider PERFECT – The Theodore Hotel, right by the ridge and very close to the Rotonda.

Still soft-open, we grabbed the chance to avail of their Introductory Promo.
We were fortunate as they only limit the number of rooms to be offered this promo.

Immediately on arrival at The Theodore, what greeted us made us forget all the problems and stress we left behind just minutes before.

The décor is artsy but still homey. We stayed in the room with the Japanese design theme. It was spacious, elegantly designed and complete with everything for a luxurious and comfortable experience: from the bed, complete room amenities, and a full array of bath amenities.

We didn’t waste time to ask the cheerful Guest Services staff Leo to show us to the other rooms which were available at that time, as we learned that each of the ten rooms in this boutique hotel have their own unique design theme. Wow- we started planning right away which one we shall reserve for in our next visit, and the next, and the next.

Past the corridor and patio near our room is a lush garden overlooking Taal Lake. However, if it’s an unparalleled view of the greenery and the clouds rolling by below (yes, below!) then the view deck on the roof gives a clear and unhindered visual of the volcano within the lake. You can even ask to have breakfast served on the view deck to enjoy the gentle morning rays. They also have a small conference room on the view deck, but who can think of work when one can rather lay back, live, and quietly enjoy life?

What made our stay perfect was that the hotel’s palpable philosophy of ensuring pampered satisfaction from check-in, to housekeeping, to food service.

We ordered dinner and we were served different approaches to comfort food highlighting fresh ingredients that Tagaytay and its environs is known for such as great beef, crisp salad and home-made bread to-die-for.

To complete our successful de-stress experience, we booked for a facial and massage. The Theodore’s uniqueness is seen also in the signature spa product line that they use -from the Guinot Institute France. Later I found out that Gwyneth Paltrow and Jennifer Aniston swear by these products, then it’s good enough for me!

The therapist and aesthetician were very professional and highly skilled. All the kinks in my back which had been bothering me for months were melted away beneath their deft fingers, palms, knuckles, and I swear I think they used their knees at some point of my deep tissue massage. It was indeed a highlight.

The thought of having to go back to the City almost made the headaches and back pains return instantaneously, but hey, whenever I get stressed out enough, my friends and I know that there will always be The Theodore a quick drive away for another unique but sweet, carefree escape from a weary, worrisome world.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Paranaque, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

I personally handled the planning of a recent family outing and everyone gave me the ‘thumbs up’ for having found the newly-opened The Theodore Hotel in Tagaytay. Their special rates (being still new) gave great value for money.
Clearly, much thought went into choosing the hotel’s décor (which, by the way, was exquisite). Most of the hotels in Tagaytay I’ve visited tend to go for a laid-back, homey vibe, which is completely different from the happy, quirky feel of Theodore, with its boldly painted walls, eccentric design themes, and one-of-a-kind furniture. Even the most cursory glance around reveals that Theodore’s offers a certain something that other hotels within the vicinity do not.
A few steps away from the spacious patio is the remarkably verdant garden, and beyond that, the spectacle below that is the Taal Lake. A nice touch is the common balcony on the third floor they call The Deck, from which even more breathtaking views can be had! Especially to a visual person like myself, Theodore’s interiors, with their hip feel and understated elegance, are a feast for the eyes.
We were assigned adjacent rooms – one had a New York Manhattan design theme, the other one a Neo Baroque theme.
The rooms were divine- the décor visually delightful, the space softly lit, the sheets and complimentary toiletries impeccably arranged, the amenities (flatscreen TV, mini-refrigerator, fully glass shower room, bathtub) were squeaky clean. Flopping down upon the huge bed soon after checking in made me want to sleep the night away, if only to be enveloped in such fluffy sheets and to lie on a bed so impossibly soft, until I remembered that I was scheduled for a full-body massage later that night! Oops! Also noteworthy is Theodore’s concern for its guests’ safety, as seen by the electronic doorlock system, CCTV and attentive security personnel – parallel only to other deluxe hotels that I’ve stayed in other parts of the world. Another plus in my book is how Theodore thankfully does not scrimp at all on room space- one can easily waltz around the room without hitting a shin against a coffee table or corner of a bed!
One of my relatives, having heard good things about Theodore’s themed rooms, requested a quick tour of each one, to which the staff gamely assented. That, of course, brings me to my next topic- the staff! As with the excellent standards which Theodore displays with regard to its décor, rooms, and amenities, the staff is no exception. Modern customers like myself are happy enough when met with courteousness or politeness, but are far more impressed when the staff goes the extra mile to make the establishment’s patrons feel truly welcome. And needless to say, Theodore did exactly that! Being smilingly served delicious pandan iced tea upon arrival, being courteously asked our preferences for massage and meal time, being carefully attended to during dinner, and being informed that the staff was only a phone call away, are beyond doubt indicative of the exceptional customer care that The Theodore is all about.

I could go on and on about how dinner was incredible, about the tenderness of the beef salpicao, the crisp freshness of the salad, the loveliness of the array of colors in each dish, the subtle attentiveness of our waiter. I will stop myself from doing so however, lest you, dear reader, be hypnotized into dropping whatever it is you’re doing and driving to Tagaytay in order to sink your teeth into some of Theodore’s amazing culinary offerings! Let me tell you this, though- the dessert of turon paired with panna cotta is to die for. Indeed, the food is a considerable fraction of what made my stay at The Theodore such an unforgettable one. Don’t forget to help yourself to the complimentary butter cookies you find in your room- they’re delicious!
Ah, nothing like a cheery waiter bearing coffee, a generous serving of longganisa with garlic rice, golden sunlight filtering through the trees, and bitingly cold air brushing my cheeks to make for a perfect morning! Now I’m no early riser, but for all the pleasant surprises that I woke up to- the tiny bananas for dessert, the gorgeous, gorgeous view- I would gladly become one!
All in all, I would say that my family’s stay at Theodore was definitely one for the books, a splendid memory which we wouldn’t mind revisiting (and reliving!) over and over again. Anyway, there are more exciting room designs to enjoy.
To characterize our The Theodore trip as a mere overnight stay would be the ultimate understatement, for Theodore is, simply put, an entire experience!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Theodore Hotel? Share your experiences!