“A relaxing way to experience Tagaytay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Theodore Hotel

You added The Theodore Hotel to your Saves list
The Theodore Hotel
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Silang Crossing East, Tagaytay, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #6 of 79 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
manila
“A relaxing way to experience Tagaytay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

It was my second time to stay in Theodore and I'm pretty sure it won't be the last. This charming boutique hotel which only has 10 rooms, makes me feel so at home. The staff are very helpful and nice. The lobby decor is minimalist and is tastefully kitschy (if there is ever such a thing) in some parts. Guests are welcomed with refreshing iced tea while brewed coffee and cookies are available all the time free of charge. There is also a complimentary 30-minute facial or massage and very delicious generous servings of breakfast. There are lots of choices that it was really difficult to choose from among them. Meals come with fresh fruits, fruit juice, and either coffee, hot chocolate or tea. Outside the breakfast area is the small garden which has a day bed, a swing, and a covered area to lounge around. Btw, Theodore has already closed its restaurant (it's a pity coz they serve great food) so guests have to go out or bring food to the hotel if they are hungry. There's also the Pamana Restaurant next door for a bit of fine dining.

The rooms are what I love most as they have different themes. My first room there was The Farm which is bathed in soft colors of pastel green, white, and light brown. It has two queen-sized beds ideal for a family of four. My next room was The Whimsical Garden which has a king-sized bed and a mini day bed. There is a connecting door between the two rooms which are located on the second floor. I also got to see The Moorish which also has a king-sized bed and is more on the masculine side. But what I like most is The Cherry Blossom with its predominantly red color. It is very spacious that it can accommodate not just two queen-sized beds but a long L-shaped sofa. It also has separate toilet and bath. Unfortunately, none of the said rooms has a view of Taal Lake. Well, for that, one has to go to the third floor viewing deck which also houses the glass-enclosed function room (what better way to conduct a meeting while having a view of Taal).

Theodore is a bit pricey at around P5,800 per room for two persons but it has a good location (just along the highway and a short drive away from the major establishments and parks), nice rooms, accommodating staff, delicious food...so I guess it's worth every centavo spent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

The staff at The Theodore made our stay an xperience that we will always remember. The location was ideal for getting out to explore the city. The staff at THE THEODORE saw that our stay was fulfilling and enjoyable. They ensured that as non philippinos that we were not overcharged for any of the events that we enjoyed. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the tagaytay area.

Room Tip: All rooms come with balconies. Great view of the valley!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Englewood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My daughters and I stayed at this hotel for my niece's wedding. The entire bridal party stayed at this hotel. There are only a few rooms available - all nicely appointed and modern. The hotel is on a main street in Tagaytay - not much frontage to it. Parking garage available in the basement. The hotel building is modern - with steps leading up to front door. I am not sure if there is any handicap access. Hotel has 3 floors - first and second floors are where the guestrooms, reception, tea room, spa and restaurant are located. The third floor is more like an open roof top space with a small conference room as well. If you need handicap access, I advise you to call before booking to confirm ramp and elevator access. Breakfast and a 30 minute massage comes with the room. Breakfast fare is good. I selected traditional Filipino h breakfasts during our stay and truly enjoyed each one. They change their breakfast juice drink daily - best one I had was the watermelon juice drink. Truly refreshing! The hotel has a very nice and cozy open space on the ground floor - accessible from the restaurant only. Nice sweeping views of Taal and the lake. They have some nice gazebos available to relax in.

The rooms are spacious with very nice bathrooms. Both are very modern. My daughters and I also scheduled massages at their spa. We all agreed that the massage service was somewhat painful - you will need to request for less pressure. I normally like some pressure but I had to request my masseuse to reduce. They had some interesting techniques which I have not experienced here in the US.

We had a comfortable stay at the hotel. Service was quick and efficient - and the staff are very friendly. The price was somewhat on the steep side - perhaps because of the breakfast and spa service which they have built into the rate. I still think that it was a tad more than the neighboring Taal Vista Lodge which is a full service hotel - although Taal Vista does not offer any breakfast with the rate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

This place looked pretty, but service was bad! Horrible! People wouldn't care what was happening to you! My grandparents came to visit and look at the rooms. We had lunch, service was slow. They almost lost our grandparents Senior Citizen cards and when they found it stuck between one of their notebooks they didn't even care to apologize. They made my grandmother look all over and all they did after was laugh. Totally craptacular place!!!!

• Stayed November 2012
Muntinlupa, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed here overnight with the family last September - we took 2 rooms. It was nice - the rooms are whimsical and pleasantly designed as are the public areas. Quite a relaxing place and I didn't want to leave the property to see more of Tagaytay that I'd already seen before. I think this place is perfect for a weekend getaway from Manila where you do absolutely nothing except stare at the volcano. I like Theodore Hotel for this reason.
Sadly, the problem with the Theodore is Housekeeping and F/B. While the rooms are very nice, if you look really close, you will find that it needs more cleaning. Dust in the corners, stained sheets, counters that needed more wiping, etc. As for F/B, the food here is nice (good variety, value), especially the breakfasts. The one big problem was that everything came out cold! The kitchen (in the basement by the parking lot) is too far away from the dining room and possibly does not have any hot holding equipment. If you are a table of 5 ordering 5 different items for breakfast, then expect that the food would get to the table cold. A shame since their breakfast menu looked delicious. When I requested the food to be reheated, the server took it back to the kitchen, and after waiting 10 minutes I was presented with the food that was the same temperature as when I returned it. Disappointing!
The Theodore could be a much better hotel, it's already good to begin with ... but details, details, details...

Room Tip: The rooms facing the main road can get quite noisy. Get the ones in the middle of the building or sp...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Went there last monday,sept.3 with my fiAncee to celebrate his 31st bday.a week before that date,i was supposed to book a different hotel when i remember to check tripadvisor hotel reviews.i usualy do that before deciding to book.based on the positive reviews from other clients,i decided to choose this hotel.i fell in love with their rooms and ofcourse the pics from other travellers.i emailed them after the confirmation and Farrah,the fantastic lady emailed me back.she confirmed the reservation and answered all my queries quickly.she also entertained my special request to arrange the room for my mahal's bday.actually,it was supposed to be a surprise but he accidentally opened my email and saw my online reservation.good thing he wasnt able to see our email conversation regarding the suprise set up....hay.....
When we arrived in the hotel the guard greeted us even the receptionist who was in the front desk.farrah assisted us in the room.i asked my mahal to go first because i want him to see the suprise bday set up.when he entered the room there were balloons and a lighted cake on the counter.he was so happy that he even cried.at first he thought that the ballons were part of the room design.he never thought of seeing such a suprise set up.the room was clean,freshly scented.i love the bed we had a gud nyt sleep.you should also try upgrading their free guinot massage.thanks to the two ladies who assisted us in the spa.we enjoyed it so much.by the way,we love the cake so much.i want to eat them all but my mahal wants to bring it home.we also love the breakfast its big enough for two.the tapa was great.thanks to all Who made our stay there memorable.

• Stayed September 2012
Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Whenever a hotel or B&B in Tagaytay comes out with a deal in any of the groupon sites here in Manila, I usually grab the opportunity to buy a voucher since accommodation in Tagaytay can be expensive. I saw this deal on Ensogo and did not hesitate to purchase it especially the voucher was valid for a year.

Booking a reservation with Theodore Hotel was fairly easy. Coordination was mainly done via SMS. Once there, we were greeted by a friendly and accommodating fellow and check-in was a breeze. All I needed to do was to show the voucher, receptionist checked it against his records, filled-up a form, and showed us to our room.

The room I chose to book was their Cherry Blossom room. It is located on the ground floor, just a couple of feet away from the lobby and their in-house restaurant. True to it's theme, the room was beautifully and tastefully decorated with Japanese-inspired decor, with a wall of Cherry Blossom branches being the focal point. The room came with two queen-sized beds, and a day bed, which is perfect for larger groups. The bathroom was big and clean.

After settling-down, we went to their restaurant for a late lunch. My friend brought some lechon (she came from a Cebu trip) and asked if we could have it reheated. They asked us if it was okay to charge us Php 100.00 for the corkage and thought it was reasonable. What I liked is that they told us about the corkage beforehand, because some restaurants would not even inform you how much they would charge for corkage until you've finished.

After our late lunch, we went to the Lounge area to relax a bit. Their lounge area had board games and other recreational activities that can help you keep occupied. The garden area was a bit of a disappointed though (but understandable) since they had an on-going renovation, and large metal sheets blocked the view of Taal Lake/Volcano.

The next day, we had breakfast in their gazebo in the garden area. Food was good and quite filling. Over-all, we had a very pleasant stay at The Theodore Hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Theodore Hotel? Share your experiences!