“Nice relaxing stay ... I didn't want to leave the property! But not without issues...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Theodore Hotel

You added The Theodore Hotel to your Saves list
The Theodore Hotel
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Silang Crossing East, Tagaytay, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #8 of 83 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Muntinlupa, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed here overnight with the family last September - we took 2 rooms. It was nice - the rooms are whimsical and pleasantly designed as are the public areas. Quite a relaxing place and I didn't want to leave the property to see more of Tagaytay that I'd already seen before. I think this place is perfect for a weekend getaway from Manila where you do absolutely nothing except stare at the volcano. I like Theodore Hotel for this reason.
Sadly, the problem with the Theodore is Housekeeping and F/B. While the rooms are very nice, if you look really close, you will find that it needs more cleaning. Dust in the corners, stained sheets, counters that needed more wiping, etc. As for F/B, the food here is nice (good variety, value), especially the breakfasts. The one big problem was that everything came out cold! The kitchen (in the basement by the parking lot) is too far away from the dining room and possibly does not have any hot holding equipment. If you are a table of 5 ordering 5 different items for breakfast, then expect that the food would get to the table cold. A shame since their breakfast menu looked delicious. When I requested the food to be reheated, the server took it back to the kitchen, and after waiting 10 minutes I was presented with the food that was the same temperature as when I returned it. Disappointing!
The Theodore could be a much better hotel, it's already good to begin with ... but details, details, details...

Room Tip: The rooms facing the main road can get quite noisy. Get the ones in the middle of the building or sp...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Went there last monday,sept.3 with my fiAncee to celebrate his 31st bday.a week before that date,i was supposed to book a different hotel when i remember to check tripadvisor hotel reviews.i usualy do that before deciding to book.based on the positive reviews from other clients,i decided to choose this hotel.i fell in love with their rooms and ofcourse the pics from other travellers.i emailed them after the confirmation and Farrah,the fantastic lady emailed me back.she confirmed the reservation and answered all my queries quickly.she also entertained my special request to arrange the room for my mahal's bday.actually,it was supposed to be a surprise but he accidentally opened my email and saw my online reservation.good thing he wasnt able to see our email conversation regarding the suprise set up....hay.....
When we arrived in the hotel the guard greeted us even the receptionist who was in the front desk.farrah assisted us in the room.i asked my mahal to go first because i want him to see the suprise bday set up.when he entered the room there were balloons and a lighted cake on the counter.he was so happy that he even cried.at first he thought that the ballons were part of the room design.he never thought of seeing such a suprise set up.the room was clean,freshly scented.i love the bed we had a gud nyt sleep.you should also try upgrading their free guinot massage.thanks to the two ladies who assisted us in the spa.we enjoyed it so much.by the way,we love the cake so much.i want to eat them all but my mahal wants to bring it home.we also love the breakfast its big enough for two.the tapa was great.thanks to all Who made our stay there memorable.

• Stayed September 2012
Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Whenever a hotel or B&B in Tagaytay comes out with a deal in any of the groupon sites here in Manila, I usually grab the opportunity to buy a voucher since accommodation in Tagaytay can be expensive. I saw this deal on Ensogo and did not hesitate to purchase it especially the voucher was valid for a year.

Booking a reservation with Theodore Hotel was fairly easy. Coordination was mainly done via SMS. Once there, we were greeted by a friendly and accommodating fellow and check-in was a breeze. All I needed to do was to show the voucher, receptionist checked it against his records, filled-up a form, and showed us to our room.

The room I chose to book was their Cherry Blossom room. It is located on the ground floor, just a couple of feet away from the lobby and their in-house restaurant. True to it's theme, the room was beautifully and tastefully decorated with Japanese-inspired decor, with a wall of Cherry Blossom branches being the focal point. The room came with two queen-sized beds, and a day bed, which is perfect for larger groups. The bathroom was big and clean.

After settling-down, we went to their restaurant for a late lunch. My friend brought some lechon (she came from a Cebu trip) and asked if we could have it reheated. They asked us if it was okay to charge us Php 100.00 for the corkage and thought it was reasonable. What I liked is that they told us about the corkage beforehand, because some restaurants would not even inform you how much they would charge for corkage until you've finished.

After our late lunch, we went to the Lounge area to relax a bit. Their lounge area had board games and other recreational activities that can help you keep occupied. The garden area was a bit of a disappointed though (but understandable) since they had an on-going renovation, and large metal sheets blocked the view of Taal Lake/Volcano.

The next day, we had breakfast in their gazebo in the garden area. Food was good and quite filling. Over-all, we had a very pleasant stay at The Theodore Hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Consider staying here instead of one of the big resorts. The property is in a very nice location just a short walk from the center of town and overlooking Taal lake. Our room was very nice, excepting no windows that looked out to anything. We had to go out the back for the view. Breakfast was excellent, best to eat outside if the weather is good. My only complaint is this place really didn't have a bar for drinks. Great place for a couple wanting a nice quiet time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, it really is very pretty there
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Pinas, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We love hie-ing up to Tagaytay for a good meal especially on long weekends. We tried Theodore's upon hearing it from a friend. We checked out the site and it seemed really interesting. The price was pretty average for Tagaytay about 5-7k / night with breakfast. A 30 minute massage was thrown in complimentarily (although we didn't get to avail of this as we had no time). The rooms are very cute each one had a unique and quirky character. They were nice and clean but the small space as most rooms in Tagaytay are - suffered especially without a view of the lake. Or maybe it was a bit of claustrophobia that decided that. Breakfast was really nice too as they laid out a small buffet and you can bring your plate to one of their cottages out in the lawn, closer to the view. We have gone back to the hotel after our nice experience and will probably come back a next time

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Pasig, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I, my husband and 4-month old son stayed at The Theodore Hotel last April 15, 2012. We got to stay there because of the group-buying voucher I purchased last year which was priced at 50% off the regular rates. The voucher was valid only for the Superior rooms and only during weekdays, which was Sunday to Thursday, but that was okay for us. We didn’t have the usual inclusions for the regular rate but at least the breakfast was included. I made reservations via email a few days prior. I was happy with their response time and their patience in answering a lot of my questions. Reservations were easy and stress-free.

When we arrived, they were ready for us. I just presented to them a copy of my voucher and we were immediately assisted to our room. We stayed at Room 7 which was The Whimsical Garden, as per my request, located on the second floor. The room was big and cozy with a King sized bed and day bed where my son slept. It had an outdoor area with a coffee table and chairs but no view. For the room, the only problem was that there were a lot of hair strands on the floor near the bed and on the small, green carpet at the foot of the bed. For the bathroom, it was clean with towels and toiletries. There was no soap dish, though. So after we washed, we just placed the soap on top of the counter. It was a bit disappointing and management should look into that.

By the afternoon, we went out to their garden. It was spacious and beautiful, overlooking Taal Volcano and the Lake. We took some pictures then went back to our room to freshen up for dinner. But when we got back, the air conditioner started emitting a funny smell. After a few minutes, it smelled like we were beside a public toilet. So we called up front desk and a personnel arrived soon after. He checked and tested the unit and told us to observe it for a few more minutes since the utility person was not present. My son and I went out of the room to get some fresh air. When we went back about 15 minutes later, the smell was the same so we called up front desk again. Fortunately, they were very accommodating. They transferred us to another room on the second floor. This room was Room 5, I think, which was The Moorish. It was very spacious compared to Room 5 and it had a veranda overlooking the main highway. A bit noisy, but I didn’t mind because I prefer large windows with a view. It had a King-sized bed and a day bed which looked more like a double-sized bed that can actually accommodate 2 persons. The bathroom was clean with toiletries. But again, no soap dish. For the room, it had the same problem as Room 5. The floor and small carpet still had hair strands but fewer than that of Room 5.

Morning came and we were greeted with a smile by the front desk officer when we went down for breakfast. We lounged at the cabana while waiting for our breakfast. We took some more pictures and when our breakfast came, it was heaven. I ordered their Ham and Cheese omelet. And boy was it a feast! It came in a huge plate with potato wedges, two slices of bread, butter, fruits, coffee and juice. The omelet was so delicious I actually closed my eyes and smiled after I took the first bite. The cheese inside was melted and the ham was just right. Exactly how I envisioned an omelet should be. My hubby ordered their Beef Tapa and it was enjoyable as well.

After breakfast, hubby wanted us to try the spa. Unfortunately, it was already fully booked for the morning. So we just went back to our room and slept for a bit.

Check out was hassle-free. The front desk officer was friendly and thanked us for staying there.

My verdict: Needs Improvement on: No. 1. - The Hair strands on the small carpet by the foot of the bed; and No. 2 - the soap dish on the bathroom sink.

Overall, we had a satisfying and comfortable stay, save for the minor glitch of the air conditioner and the hair strands. And probably the best parts of our stay were the accommodation, as each room is decorated differently, and the complimentary breakfast.

I can’t comment much on the rates because I got it for a discounted price online. But looking at their published rates, I think it’s reasonable enough considering what’s included with it.

Finally, I would recommend this hotel for those who want to relax and be pampered at the same time.

Room Tip: Vista Deluxe rooms are better as they have a view of either Taal Volcano or the garden and they have...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

We stayed two nights at the Theodore Hotel as part of a trip around the Philippines and were pretty impressed! It's a cute quirky hotel with some really nice touches - different themes to all the rooms, nice original art on the walls and stunning views.

The food was very nice, though the restaurant set-up was odd - we were the only ones sitting in what was basically reception, getting our food delivered to the tables which weren't really set-up for food! It's probably not like that in the busier periods - we didn't really see anyone else staying there.

The massages are lovely - we enjoyed our free one so much we paid for another one the following evening.

Good facilities in the bed/bathroom though the wifi only works in the communal areas which was a bit annoying.

Agree with a previous comment that it would be better for the hotel to organise the volcano trips directly - the only reason anyone would stay there would be to see the volcano so it would be well worth it for them!

I left my high heels under the bed and they chased our taxi down the road to return them so for that alone I was pretty impressed too!

Room Tip: We were in room 7 with no view at all - I think you have to pay a lot more to confirm you'll be...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Theodore Hotel? Share your experiences!