“Xo's” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Original Hawaiian Bar-B-Que

The Original Hawaiian Bar-B-Que
The Boutique Bed and Breakfast | 45 Aguinaldo Highway, Crossing East, Tagaytay, Luzon, Philippines
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 77 Restaurants in Tagaytay
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood, Hawaiian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Telephone + 63 46 413 1885.
Manila
“Xo's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Me and my family decided to have our late lunch here. We were assisted right away by the wait staff upon arriving. We ordered Golden corn rice, Pineapple bbq chicken fried rice, Baby back ribs, Bbq platter, island style coconut shrimp, Foil baked golden shrimp and Mango crumble for dessert. Me and my little sister enjoyed the place while waiting for the food. The place is really excellent! Though they have an obstructed view of the lake. The food was served several minutes after and the food was great! My lil sister really enjoyed the food! I'm also happy with the service of the wait staff, they were really attentive with our needs. The only negative comment i can give is there are too many mosquitoes in the area and the baked shrimps were a bit over cooked. anyway Thanks! Till next time

• Visited July 2013

Quezon City, Philippines
“Consistently good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I had the huge responsibility of taking care of some picky eaters from the US, namely my two young nephews. We headed to Tagaytay for a relaxing day of sightseeing, Come lunch time, I was still trying to think of a place that won't become the proverbial fly in our soup.

I remembered this Hawaiian Barbecue place mainly for their famous baby-back ribs. Who doesn't like baby-back ribs? So in we went. Being a weekday, we had the restaurant to ourselves. It was raining all morning, so the outdoors area was completely drenched. Our table was right at the edge before the outdoors area. The rain has subsided to a mild drizzle, and the thick fog and cool breeze made the atmosphere perfect!

Our order consisted of a large original Hawaiian ribs, the barbecue seafood platter, an order of the pineapple and chicken fried rice, an order of asparagus, cheesy cauliflower, and the bulalo steak. The result: everything but one dish was a huge hit. The cheesy cauliflower was not up to standards. The cauliflower didn't stand up well to whatever they did to it because they were mushy and tasted odd.

Everything else was spot on. The large ribs were cooked to tender perfection. The bulalo steak was surprisingly tender and tasty. Everything on the seafood platter was greedily scooped up, even the banana and the slightly tart mango slice. The asparagus was well received it deserved a sequel, so ordered another.

If I did have a gripe, it would be about the portion of the barbecue seafood platter. The portion was a bit underwhelming. Could have done with a couple more skewers of squid or shrimp. The barbecue pork belly that was included was pitifully thin. For 800 pesos a plate, it just felt a little shortchanged. And, I wish they'd use bigger asparagus instead of those really thin ones.

Overall, it was a good lunch. What did the picky eaters have to say? They gave me 2 thumbs up! I'll pass that on to the Original Hawaiian BBQ in Tagaytay!

• Visited June 2013
manila
“FANTASTIC Food, Reasonably Priced, Service So-so”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Friend of ours recommended this place. Although we've noticed the Boutique Bed and Breakfast and the prominent Hawaiian BBQ sign during our trips to Tagaytay, we have not really bothered to satisfy our curiosity about the restaurant.

Finally, we decided to have dinner there. We weren't disappointed.

We had a variety of recommended dishes which included the crispy tawilis (small fish caught only in nearby Taal lake) and the barbecue ribs. We decided to pair it with a Caesar salad and orange chicken. Yes, the combination seemed schizophrenic, but seeing that we were quite hungry with a bunch of growing kids, variety of choice was somewhat advantageous as the kiddies can be picky eaters.

The starter of the sizzling cripsy tawilis was a winner in itself. I could eat the stuff all day and I'm not a fan of tawilis. Served with sliced chilli, it went so well with their ice-cold SMB Pale. Salad was lackluster as a previous reviewer mentioned, but the ribs were just awesome. Perfectly seasoned and tender (falls off the bone!), there was a boodle fight of sorts for the stuff that the chicken was barely touched. Another recommended dish was the mussels, which we did not try, but rest assured we WILL be back!

The wait staff was a little inexperienced. The place was small and number of waiters were enough (8 indoor tables and 3 wait staff) but when the place filled up, they seemed to me rather confused. Since we were one of the earlier guests (3rd in fact), we had little issues until the end when the place just filled up then chaos was starting to settle. The family next to us was quite angry about the slow pace of the food delivery, and we had to wait a while for our drinks to be refilled at the end of the meal. Good thing that we were quite stuffed to try out dessert and coffee, or we would probably have suffered from the confusion of the place.

Food was reasonably priced for the quantity (2,000PHP for a hungry family of 5)

Would definitely come back for the food. I hope the management shakes up the wait staff to improve, though.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cavite City, Philippines
“Probably one of the best restaurant in Tagaytay !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Despite a luxury environment, the hawaiian BBQ is very affordable, compared to other places around !

The BBQs are awsome, cooked perfectly. Sides are good (but had a bad experience with the cauliflower gratin...)

Now service should be a bit more "on the spot" ! Two or three times ( I go eat there quite regularly) the meals arrived at my table cold... This is quite negative !

The fruit juices are made of fresh fruits, unlike the majority of places here where they dare to serve you canned juices ! Knowing that Tagaytay is a big fruits' producing area, it is quite shocking...

Overall I recommend that place, cosy, affordable and quiet.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
General Trias, Philippines
“Great BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was our second time at this restaurant and both have been great. The BBQ is always tasty and tender. The service is above average and the view during the daylight hours is fantastic. You have the option of seating on the covered patio or the balcony. Can be breezy at times and cold for the Philippines. Menu is more than adequate with choices available, but my favorite is the ribs either pork or beef.

• Visited December 2012