“because of the rain” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fat Bill's Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tagaytay
Fat Bill's Bed and Breakfast
Barangay Sungay East, Tagaytay, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #12 of 20 hotels in Tagaytay
Paranaque, Philippines
“because of the rain”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Fat Bill's just a walk away from Our Lady of Manaoag but we never get to experience it not until that one rainy morning. My boyfriend and I was intrigued about the place so we decided to check it out. The place is very nice and the couple who owns it are very friendly.
I forgot what we had but all I can remember is, it tastes good but a bit expensive.
I'm still planning to go..:)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Makati
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My wife and I enjoy travelling to different places within Luzon. We usually look on the internet for places with the best deals while also providing adequate services and facilities. Our most recent trips have been to small beach resorts in Zambales and Batangas. At these places, we had little to no complaints and were satisfied overall with the service.

I. Great View
You are able to see Taal Volcano from their establishment, mainly from their garden/courtyard and the restaurant/cafe. When staying in the rooms the view of the lake is slightly limited as you are only able to get a good view from the corner room (Room 5 / Single Room). The windows of all the rooms are about 2’x2’ windows.

II. Owners
a) When I first arrived at about 12:30pm, the owners looked a bit tired. I was not greeted with a very hospitable “Welcome!”, I walked into the lobby and was greeted by a woman sitting down on a table with her head in her hands day dreaming. No warm welcome which is not required but it would have been nice. I spoke with Bill and Ester, they stated that it has been a long couple days/weeks and they’ve been really busy.
b) After one night of staying, my pregnant wife was not feeling well so we requesting if it was possible to cancel the second night so that we could go home early. I was told that I could not cancel the booking because:
1. I booked through Agoda and the rates are fixed
i. This was not the case as I booked directly through their website
ii. Ester then stated:
2. My reservation took up a spot where other customers could have reserved
i. This reservation was for Sunday night, leaving Monday morning
ii. This request was made on Sunday morning and it appeared that BnB was empty. The other 2 rooms which were booked the previous night had already checked out. When we came back at night, it appeared that my wife and I were the only people staying at their establishment. We occupied 1 out of the 5 rooms
iii. This means that there would have been 4 rooms available for possible customers which should have been reflected on their website/Agoda
c) Ester also mentioned that my wife should walk [her not feeling well] off. This kind of irked me as my pregnant wife wasn’t feeling well and this is the response I get?
d) If my wife and I decided to leave, we would have forfeited our payment for the following night (2800 php). I discussed this with my wife and we both agreed that if that is the case we would just stay the night to avoid the traffic going back to Manila and to try and relax. She slept a bit more and then we decided to go out to get some fresh air and soup to make her feel better. If her conditioned escalated we knew where the hospital was located
e) Lastly, this whole cancelling a reservation concern would have not bothered me if I was told that initially that it is not possible as we booked two nights. Instead of trying to say we booked through Agoda or we booked a room another possible customer could have booked although the hotel was basically empty that night
f) On the plus side before we left to grab some fresh air and food Ester did invite us to join their New year’s celebration lunch

III. Rooms
a) When we first walked into the room, it had a weird smell. We related the smell to rotting wood. The smell lasted throughout our stay (2 nights)
b) The wall paper on the back of the room was peeling off the wall. On one side of the room, masking tape was used to keep 2 pieces of wall paper from coming completely off the wall. The tape stretched from the bottom of the floor to the ceiling
c) The size of the Single room was relatively big for 2 people. The room we stayed in had only 1 window looking at the front. Looking out the window, you could see the fountain in the garden and the restaurant but you could barely see the lake
d) As stated above, Room 5 has the best view of the lake
e) The room came with a portable coat rack, small wall mounted TV, bed, table with 2 chairs, mirror (which was cracked) and a side table
i. The Bed size was a double. It was a basic foam mattress on a metal bed frame. Supporting the mattress was a piece of plywood between the bed frame and mattress. I do not suggest trying to jump onto the bed as you would just hurt yourself
f) The bathroom in our room was not the cleanest that we have seen
i. The sink’s drain was black; which was probably due to corrosion. I was hoping it was not mildew
ii. The shower had a water heater. We found that the water pressure had to be low to get the desired heat. If we turned the pressure too high, the water would be lukewarm
iii. The shower caddy had mildew on (and under) where one would put the soap. This was not appealing at all
iv. The shower curtain had mildew on the sides
v. The curtains (for the window in the bathroom) in the shower also had mildew on them

IV. Room Service
a) When going out and requesting for water or food, the staff stated that they could bring the items to our room. This was fine
b) My wife and I stayed there 2 night and our room was not cleaned once
i. We had to bring the trash our to their lobby
ii. We also used our own plastic bags to refill the trash bins
iii. The sheets were not replaced
c) I am not sure if you would need to request the staff to clean the room but from my experience rooms should be cleaned without having to request it. I usually speak to hotel staff and request them to not clean our room instead of cleaning it

V. Food
a) My wife and I had planned most of the trip out and our meals were covered in our planning so we were not able to eat the food from their restaurant
b) The first night we stayed we had coffee (Barako) before midnight. Both of our coffees had a lot of grounds at the bottom as if it was not filtered properly
i. I understand that there is a method where hot water is poured over the grounds but afterwards you would filter it
c) We ate breakfast the morning we were going to leave and it was alright
d) I had cooked ham, eggs and rice
i. The ham was cooked well, a bit greasy though
ii. The fried egg was cooked well
e) My wife had fried fish, eggs and rice
i. Fish was cooked well, nice and crispy
ii. The fried egg was also cooked well

I am writing this review in the hopes that this establishment will improve their facilities for future guests. I do not feel that I am being too harsh with my opinions.

This Bed and Breakfast is in a good location and has a great view.

In addition, going to this Bed and Breakfast I did not expect going to a 5-star resort but I did expect the simple things. Having our rooms cleaned while we stay there, the facilities within the room being clean and getting our money’s worth. I have stayed in places at about the same price and have not had these issues.

Room Tip: Room 5, which is a single room, has a view of Taal
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
San Pedro Laguna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011 via mobile

Well we went back and stayed for a while to enjoy Tagaytay. The location has a really great view. It's very near Picnic Grove.

The cleanliness is better than most places you'd be staying at in Tagaytay. Bill wants it really clean and he makes it a concern so you feel comfortable in the surroundings.

The rooms are different based on what size you want. So you can get Small. Medium, or Large rooms based on your needs. The rooms have different colored themes so if you have a preference you can ask.

Both Bill and Ester are really attentive to your needs and make a great effort to make your stay enjoyable. It's the kind of place that's sensible about service.

One reason I go back is that many of the menu items can't be found anywhere for any price. But, they still offer their accommodations at reasonable rates for the area.

I recommend you try the Fish & Chips. It's a favorite of mine and hard to find well done in the Phil.

As far as the food is concerned Bill is a Master Chef, does everything from scratch and the ingredients are high quality.

Highly recommend this establishment.

• Stayed December 2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011 via mobile

The place is truly a value for money. Our room was clean, the staff provided us soap, shampoo and towel, and there's hot shower. And it has a mini garden in front of the rooms where we stayed all night just chatting and watching the stars.

There's TV in the room but it's not cabled which is OK for us since we went there to see the scenery and not to watch cable.

The place is near the picnic grove and just a few minutes away from the major tourist destinations including the Pink Sisters, the Magallanes Square and the quaint Memory Lane.

One setback though in the place's service is that they served us the wrong breakfasts. A staff asked us what we wanted for breakfast the night before but I guess she lost her notes hence we did not get what we really wanted. Nevertheless the food was good so we did not complain anymore.

Mrs Fat Bill is very warm. :)

• Stayed December 2011
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Spent three night there recently, had the end room so the view out of the window was fantastic. Bill can vary the breakfast a bit if you want, I had lovely porridge with fruit, fresh baked bread and the local coffee from day two as I can't take a massive fry up every day. A refurbishment is on the cards which should include WIFI availability.

There is a laundry a couple of minutes up the road on a tricycle which will deliver. A tricycle should cost 40-50 pesos from the roundabout where the bus drops off. Every third person in town is offering boat rips to the volcano, ask Ester to arrange it for you instead to avoid being ripped off.

Room Tip: End room has best views
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
FatBills, Managing Partner at Fat Bill's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Thank you for your comments. It was a pleasure to have you stay. My staff and myself try to make our guests stay as comfortable and stress free as possible.
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I went there in August with a few mates and we were all looking forward to something British. Firstly, can I point out that Esther, the proprietor's wife, is a typical Filipina; hospitable and caring. Unfortunately, food wasn't up to my expectations. I ordered the Big English Breakfast, to which Bill stated "...are you sure, it's pretty big!?", I confirmed my order. Anyhoo, 30 minutes later, I received my "Big Breakfast" and to be fair, I've had bigger: the scrambled eggs were a little dark with black bits in it (I'm pretty sure it was the the burnt ends of something, rather than pepper), the sausages, which I hoped were Cumberlands, were in fact sweet American sausages, something that Bill himself admitted; Bacon was okay, the beans weren't baked beans at all and the fried bread was overly greasy and cold.

My mate's chicken curry was watery and reminded me of school dinners. I was really disappointed about all this and decided to leg it to and get something else to fill my belly.

Value wise, I found it quite expensive for what we had.

Unfortunately, on this occasion Bill wasn't a master chef- sorry mate!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
FatBills, Managing Partner at Fat Bill's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
We at fat bills try to please all our guests and satisfy their tastes. We have guests from all over the world who are completely satisfied. Everything is cooked on the premises using the freshest ingredients. People tend to forget we are in a province and a lot of ingredients are not available or when they are certain ones are cost prohibitive (one example Cumberland sausage) Baked Beans are Baked Beans. I do not understand thecomment. I cannot remember this guest. I do not agree with his assement. at all.
San Pedro Laguna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

I dropped by as I wanted to try out this place since I'd seen it a few times.

The owner, Fat Bill, is a delightful guy and a Master Chef, and Ester is very nice too. We chummed a bit about our life's experiences, sports, and he whipped up some of his beer batter for my fish and chips. He truly is a Master Chef, the fish and chips were golden brown and the very best I have ever, in my 50+ years, tasted.

They have 5 rooms for singles or families. They have a great view of the volcano and the lake.

Notably they look after the common sensibilities. You'll feel comfortable.

Location:
This place is very near to Picnic Grove where you can ride ZipLines and horses.

Room Tip: All the rooms are angled to get a lake and courtyard view from the front window. I think the closet...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
FatBills, Managing Partner at Fat Bill's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Thank you for your very welcome comments. Fat Bills staff and myself take great pride in making our guests say as pleasant and comfortable as possable.

Been to Fat Bill's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!