“Nice place to have coffee, eat and to recharge” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Filipino, European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Quezon City, Philippines
“Nice place to have coffee, eat and to recharge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

My friends brought me here twice already.

The first time was on a weekday, sometime in July 2013. The place was not that busy so we spent the whole afternoon lazing around in one of their cozy outdoor dining cottages. It was drizzling that time and was a bit chilly, the whole place was very relaxing so I found myself quickly fighting off sleep. We had bottomless coffee (which I loved) and the cheesecake and blueberry pancake (very generous serving) which were both satisfactory and left us very full and happy.

The latest trip was quite different. We went on a weekend (Saturday, March 2014) and the place was packed and very much alive. We sat in one of the outdoor tables with an umbrella. I was surprised that despite the noise and crowd, I still found the place charming and this time, energizing. It was a nice contrast and I am happy to know that the place is still very much loved.

For our latest visit, we all had something from the Filipino Breakfast menu. Each dish came with garlic fried rice, 2 sunny side up eggs, atchara, and your choice of either boneless bangus, chicken adobo, beef tapa, etc. I had the boneless bangus and it was just okay, the eggs were a bit oily. The portions were very generous so we were all too full to have dessert. On my next visit, I will try their lasagna (as we were passing through other tables, I noticed a lot of people having it) and their pies (it's available for take out in their store but I would rather have it in the restaurant, for the full experience). I have yet to find the dish that will make me miss and crave for it and I hope I find it someday.

For now, it's their coffee that is making me look forward to a stop in Bag of Beans whenever we're in Tagaytay--Houseblend and Barako. I like it that by just adding php25, you can make it bottomless. It's definitely worth the upgrade.

The staff was attentive and service was quick, despite the big crowd.

Another nice thing I liked is their restroom. I saw a lot of people using it, yet it still remained clean and well-stocked with tissue papers and soap. The trash cans were regularly emptied and they had an oil burner to keep the restroom smelling clean.

I just hope that they put more fans in the outdoor area to make it less stuffy.

Overall, I enjoyed both visits in Bag of Beans and look forward to trying more of their dishes to find my favorite.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Manila, Philippines
“Veranda seating over a nice view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Went with a couple of friends on a roadtrip to Tagaytay and ended up in Bag of Beans second branch as we didn't feel like sitting in traffic any longer. It was smaller than the original branch but we managed to get seating on the balcony/veranda with a nice view. It was a little tight seating but we squeezed ourselves in.

It was a pleasant meal with no smoking allowed in the area. Top scores for the food. Ended up with sheperd's pie, porterhouse steak (medium rare), chicken parmigiana and grilled mahi mahi. All delicious!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Las Pinas, Philippines
“Vintage interior with a fantastic view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

There is a branch of Bag of Beans along Aguinaldo Highway that is close to Tagaytay Rotonda. It has a dining area near the ridge that has a fantastic view of Taal Volcano and the lake. The vintage interior, complete with Vigan tiles and antique lamps, proved to be exotic and charming for city dwellers like us. We chose a table in the open balcony where we imbibed the cool fresh air and the beautiful scenery. My companions ordered coffee and chocobites with cream cheese while I settled for a generous serving of banana split. We found the entire experience to be truly relaxing and enjoyable.

Visited March 2014
San Diego, CA
“And don't forget the raisin bread!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I asked my friend to bring me to this place after landing in NAIA to have breakfast. Boy, I was glad we did!

We came mid-morning and the cool Tagaytay weather welcomed us. We were immediately seated and attended to. I checked out their buffet spread - typical Filipino breakfast that did not interest me so we went ala carte. The breakfast fare was nice - portions were just right and the taste was A-OK. I am very particular about coffee and their barako blend was very, very good.

On a whim, I purchased their raisin bread and had it at home. This is a must-try item! The bread was excellent - soft and pillowy and they really did not skimp on their raisins and cinammon. I actually went back and got 2 more bread to bring back to the U.S. and my mom took the whole loaf and kept it to herself after tasting it. It was that good!

Will I go back? A definite yes!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Quezon City, Philippines
“TERRIBLE”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We went to Bags of Beans for after lunch coffee. At first we were seated on the patio chairs. After a few minutes we noticed that one of the cabanas (the cabana looked inviting) was already available to use so my sister went to the wait staff clearing the table to ask if we may transfer to the cabana. My sister then called to us saying that it's okay to transfer and so we transferred.

After a few minutes, one of the wait staff approached us telling us there is a MINIMUM EXPENDITURE OF PHP1,000 if we want to sit there and our current order was below that so he told us that we needed to order more. As we were already comfortably seated we decided to just order extra to cover this minimum rule.

Naturally, we grumbled about this UNWRITTEN, UNMENTIONED RULE, saying to each other that the waiter SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED THIS BEFORE. We thought that the waiter just forgot to mention this.

But the terrible thing was THIS PRACTICE WAS THE NORM. Some people also transferred to the cabana beside us. We also heard them ask the waiter if they could transfer and the answer was simply yes. Then after some time we again heard the waiter saying the same thing to them. Their order was also below the minimum and he advised the customer to order additional dishes so that the minimum amount could be met.

---
For me this was a DIRTY TACTIC .

They should mention this minimum expenditure rule at the very beginning whenever a customer shows interest on the cabanas. THIS WAS CLEARLY NOT DONE.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere