“Nothing Great!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of 8 Suites by Fat Jimmy

Agoda.com
8 Suites by Fat Jimmy
Lot 7, Ridge View Subdivision, | Barangay Iruhin, Tagaytay, Luzon 4108, Philippines   |
Ranked #5 of 20 hotels in Tagaytay
Manila, Philippines
“Nothing Great!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed here during Valentine's Day. PROS:The room that we got, the Premier Suite had a good partial view of Taal lake on the right side of the room, and on the left side was the view of Tagaytay Midlands/Lowlands. We had our own private terrace/balcony. The view from our room was nice, and we enjoyed the cool breeze. The suite was spacious. We had a comfortable king-sized bed.The bathroom also had a deep free standing tub that we enjoyed. What was nice about the room was the partition from the bathroom can be easily moved so that you can still see the partial lake view while you're soaking in the tub, or watch some television. I was able to watch complimentary classic romantic movies in our room from their DVD selection, and listen to some good CDs from their music library.The food was good, filling, and priced reasonably. I had Beef Salpicao, and my husband enjoyed the Crispy Fish Filet with Lemon Butter sauce. We also both enjoyed the Chili Cheese ( Fried Chili Stuffed with Melted Cheese in Crispy Rolls.) We had the privacy that we needed since the hotel only had 8 Suites. I recommend this for couples who want a quick, quiet, and private getaway. Away from it all...

CONS. When we arrived at the hotel, and checked out our room, I noticed that some of the towels, especially the ones for the feet inside the bathroom were not that clean. As if they did not bother to change some of the towels. I was able to see some shoe prints on them, considering that we paid almost 8,000pesos for just 1 night for the room only. I was told by one of the staff that the hot water for the bathroom is on for 24hrs, however when my husband decided to have a warm dip in the tub that night at 10pm, there was no hot water. My husband and I also decided to have a massage inside the hotel. I did not enjoy my massage at all. I've had better massages. I had a swedish massage, and my body ached more after she massaged me. I told her exactly the amount of pressure (which was "medium") that I wanted for my massage, but she failed to adjust. Either she would massage me in a painful way, or I couldn't feel the massage at all. My body should have felt better and more relaxed after the massage, but my body ached even more. That was a bummer, since I wanted to relax and unwind during our stay there. Upon paying our bill at the reception, I noticed that someone already checked "excellent" as our rating for our massage, but neither I nor my husband selected it from their survey!? The trays that were used for room service were dirty!!! As if they did not bother to wash those properly, considering that we paid almost 11,000pesos total for just 1 night's stay!?!? I was really disappointed with that. I expected everything to be clean considering that their price was a bit steep as compared to other hotels in Tagaytay. The staff should be more trained in providing good customer service as no one bothered to try to help us with our luggage, eventhough it was clear that I was struggling to bring my stuff. The staff needs more training. The only one who was more helpful and friendly to us was Trixie from the reception who assisted me with the movies and cds that I wanted. She was accommodating and friendly. But the others were not proactive in greeting us. After trying to enjoy the night without hot water, we both slept at 2am. Our breakfast was served promptly at 7am as requested, however the waiter loudly banged our door and shouted "Room Service" which irritated my sleeping husband. I would suggest to use the intercom first to advise guests that their breakfast is ready, instead of banging the door and shouting loud. It was a bang on the door, not a soft knock on the door. Also, I booked our room directly from their website www.8suites.com. For our room, the Premium Suite It was listed and advertised in their website that our package included complimetary chocolates. We never received those as well. It was too bad because we were there on Valentine's Day, and we thought that the hotel would make it more memorable for us since it was our honeymoon plus it was Valentine's Day. I even emailed Ms. Cheche from reservations at least 4 days before that we were going there for Valentine's Day and a special occasion. We paid almost P11,000 for one night in 8 Suites, which the amount was equivalent to our 3 day/2 night stay at Baguio Country Club in a Deluxe Room with a private balcony facing the golf course. In Baguio Country Club, everything was clean, service was excellent, and so was the food.

This hotel has the potential to be the "place to be in for couples" in Tagaytay, if they improve on the things that I've written here. Right now, I think we should have stayed elsewhere during our honeymoon on Valentine's...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

8 suites is in a secluded location. They do not have even a directional signage nor billboard. The road leading to the place is narrow and a bit rough, but as you drive nearing to the place a sense of excitement coupled with curiosity will be sense. entering the lobby you will notice the simple design elegantly executed.
They maintain a handful staff to manage and ably serve guests requirement. The room is limited, all are well kept and have a feel of modern yet relaxing ambience. it is spacious and have a beautiful nature view from forest to mountain to water and the soothing breeze of wind that touches not only your skin but touches your soul telling you that you are one with nature.

Tagaytay City has a lot of attraction it is a weekender place but for me weekdays are best especially in a place like * suites
until next time

Room Tip: good place to stay usually are not seen on papers, "seek and you shall find"
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

8 Suites *could* be fantastic. But there are so many little failings that together added up to kill the experience. I don't pretend to know how to run a hotel, but if I owed 8 Suites I would make a lot of changes.

Background:- This is the first time I've ever reviewed a place and I'm English (we generally don't like to complain), but this time, I have to write something.
We stayed in two places in Tagaytay, three days in one place and three days in 8 Suites to end the trip. Not mentioning any names, but the first place was 1/3 of the price and in contrast, was far superior and yet we expected exactly the reverse.

The little things:-
* Only 5 tv channels, 2 of which had background buzzing and static
* The range of DVDs on offer were minimal, and were all bad quality copies
* 2 out of the 4 blinds in the room were broken, 1 would not open at all, 1 wouldn't close
* One of the lights kept flickering on after it was switched off
* The wifi signal only works in the lobby, not in the rooms
* Breakfast was 2 hours late the second day
* The staff consistently ignored phone calls over the intercom so we had to always walk up
* The location is bad. The view is good, and it is "secluded", but it's too far from anywhere useful. The wind is also very strong there making breakfast in the garden an interesting experience.
* Everything in the hotel stops by 9pm
* The Aircon is very loud
* The outside garden lights are very bright which kills any atmosphere
* No sugar or milk was provided in the room, so again, we had to go up to get it
* No shower cap (although personally I'm not complaining about that...)
* The toilet mini shower thing was covered in dirt
* The soap provided was terrible, it may be "designer" but it was really bad quality
* The staff, although seemingly friendly face to face just did not appear to care and did not appear very professional (we caught one sleeping in the lobby)
* There were no "nice touches", like no welcome drinks, no fruit provided, no flowers, no simple little things to make it feel like a better experience.

(Picture it: the second night we stayed in to relax:- it was too cold and windy to sit outside but too bright with the curtain open to sleep. The hotel services had shut down, we couldn't watch TV, the DVDs were bad and we couldn't get Wifi but we couldn't then go back out because it was too far. We woke up the next day with nothing to make coffee with, the soap stung our eyes and skin and we had to walk up to the lobby to complain that breakfast was late because the phone wasn't being answered...)

Agreed - all of these are minor points, but added all together with the price that we were paying compared to others in the areas, we really expected so much more.

A couple of positives however, the rooms and beds were clean and comfortable, the food was very good quality and a special mention to Harold, he was the exception to the average.

If the owner or manager is reading this, I would like to give one piece of advice - either let your staff stay a couple of nights as guests or send in some independant under cover agents to test things out. A few changes could make a big difference.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very similar, so I do not understand the pricing difference.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Makati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

Great place to unwind and get away from it all. Rooms are well furnished, complete with in iPod dock and the view was fantastic. The hotel staff (apart from one person in the front desk) were courteous and accommodating.

However, its isolation can also be its downside. Its far from the more common destinations in Tagaytay and the road going to the hotel was kinda long, windy and not to mention narrow. If you plan to go out and explore the rest of Tagaytay (which is what we normally do) after checking in, you have to make sure you return by dusk, which to me is not very much time since the check in time is 2pm, that leaves you only 3 hours to go around. It is a bit dangerous to drive back at night especially since the fog rolls in every now and then.

We ended up staying in during our entire stay there and opted to just go out to do our regular Tagaytay tour the next day after we checked out. Its all good, this is the kind of place where you would not want to leave if you want to just relax and soak in the ambiance, the 3G signal was also non-existent so that was a plus too, perfect excuse for not checking your email, hehe.

I would recommend this to couples looking for a nearby place to spend a romantic weekend. Definitely not a place for kids, its quiet and serene atmosphere would drive my kids nuts.

Room Tip: There are only 8 rooms in the hotel, hence the name, since tis not that pricey, get the biggest room...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Luzon, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

It's hard to see this hotel off the main road, but what a GEM! So clean, excellent staff. We were fortunate enough to be booked into one of their premium suites (thanks to DealGrocer for the discount) and it was large, comfortable, and had rain shower and a tub. It was a lovely pre anniversary celebration with my hunnie. Our view was spectacular but the higher rooms have an awesome view of the lake. Breakfast was a modest but quality spread.
But over all we loved it and hope to be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors to get a good view of the lake.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
asia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

8 suites is somewhere in between a hotel and a bed and breakfast place. The rooms are furnished well. You will instantly feel at home upon entering the room. The food served was good. We checked in at around 2pm and didn't want to go back out for lunch so we ordered food and asked it to be delivered to the room. Price for the food was very reasonable. We had beef salpicao and lengua estofada (P250+ per order). The location of the hotel is far enough from the main road that you won't hear the cars or tricycles passing by. A few posters warned about the rooms having poor sound proofing. We stayed in suite 6 (basement) and we weren't bothered too much about the noise. Maybe because there are only 2 rooms at the basement level. It is very quiet at night. Very very windy so you can hear the wind as it passes through the gaps in the windows and doors. As the other posters also have mentioned, when the wind blows really hard, it shakes the doors. We solved this problem by wedging a paper folded several times between the door and the door frame.

We had a wonderful relaxing time doing nothing. We only went out toeat but we slept and watched DVD's the whole time. The cable reception is still so bad as warned by previous posters so we brought a lot of DVD's with us (although they do have a small DVD library at the reception where you can just borrow).

This will be the perfect place for you if you just want to get away and give yourself some time off. I would say that this place will be perfect for couples and not for families with kids. Kids won't have anything to do here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

I went here with my wife for a quick honeymoon since we only had two days before she goes back to work.

Things that I love about this place:
- The view is just wonderful! We woke up to a wonderful view of Taal lake and the volcano
- It was isolated from the happening place so it's very quiet
- Interior were very nice: love the bed, the entertainment system, the tub, the CR: these are things that you can't see in many hotels lately.

Alarming things:
- They were renovating the place and the workers were staying the night and there was no security guard; considering that this is an isolated place, it doesn't give you any comfort
- I wish they can also improve on training the staff on how to receive the guests. I know that it's a small b&b but when you're running this kind of business, service is of the utmost important. no matter how great the place is, it always boil down to the experience

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to 8 Suites by Fat Jimmy? Share your experiences!