“A great weekend escape into a state of zen” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sonya's Garden B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tagaytay
Sonya's Garden B&B
You added Sonya's Garden B&B to your Saves list
Barangay Buck Estate | Alfonso, Cavite, Tagaytay, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #4 of 83 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manila, Philippines
“A great weekend escape into a state of zen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

I had been on many day trips to Tagaytay over the years, but it had been a long time since I had stayed there overnight. I guess I never really thought it warranted a stay. I had heard about Sonya’s Garden from many people in passing and even browsed through the coffee table book, so I figured it would be a good opportunity to check it out with my girlfriend who was visiting for the weekend from Singapore.

We arrived there after a hearty bulalo lunch at Leslie's, and luckily check-in was smooth, which was good since I could barely stay awake at that point. We were pleasantly surprised with the room - it was charming, simple, and spacious. The bed was very comfortable, the sheets nice and crisp. Naturally, I responded to the environment by promptly taking a well-deserved nap. This ended up becoming the theme of our short stay there - taking it easy and slowing down.

The price for the stay wasn’t exactly cheap, but it turned out to be good value. It was good that both dinner and breakfast were included - no need to worry about where to eat and driving around after we arrived. The dishes on the buffets were simple and hearty - you could tell that they were prepared with fresh ingredients and care. We went back for seconds and thirds, then a bit more. I also got my fill of their famous fresh dalandan juice. The rest of the guests also seemed to be enjoying their meals with gusto, so everyone was happily fed when Sonya herself was doing her rounds.

We capped off the evening with a relaxing massage at the spa, which was quite reasonably priced and staffed with excellent masseuses. I tried out the steam therapy, which used a modified rice cooker to create steam and didn't really do anything for me, so it may be best to stick the the massages. After this indulgence, the cool and fresh air was the perfect ingredient for a good night’s rest - a big change from smoggy and hot Manila.

The next day, we woke up refreshed after a night of unprotected sleep. The bright sunshine outside and chorus of cows greeted us good morning. We stumbled our way to a proper breakfast (meaning eggs and bacon were involved) which ended on the perfect note with old-fashioned Spanish chocolate and hopia. Singaporeans are typically quite demanding when it comes to food, so kudos to them since the girlfriend smiled and gave her thumbs up in approval.

All in all, a great weekend to sink into a state of relaxation and the perfect antidote to manic city life. I would love to come back for another visit, and I am really glad I picked it over some other cheaper but soulless place, of which there are many in Tagaytay. Hopefully, the bakeshop will have some of their famous goodies ready this time around.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I've been coming back to Sonya's bed and breakfast for several years now and I never get tired of it. I always find myself planning for our next vacation here. The ambience, accommodation and surroundings are the best, very beautiful, peaceful and relaxing. Breakfast is great, most especially the hot chocolate. The staff are very friendly and competent. Can't wait for our next stay.

Room Tip: Stay during weekdays to avoid the crowd
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

There isnt a year that I am not at Sonya's garden. Back when they offer dining only ; now they are complete with room accomodation , spa and function rooms for special occasions. If you are staying overnight, my tip is choose lunch upon check in and breakfast before check out. You may want to sneak out at night to have dinner somewhere else coz they offer the same menu for lunch and dinner. Otherwise just stay , relax and enjoy the quiet time reading and enjoying and listening to the sound of nature. This is one addicting experience!

• Stayed August 2014
Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I was here when they were just starting. No accommodations yet. Food was better then. Years went by, and many copycats restaurants later. I decided to booked a nite here with my college galfriends.
The place is clean and well maintain. Quiet and really a nice place to unwind. A bit pricey but worth it if you want to get away from the noisy and traffic nowadays in center Tagaytay. Nowadays, we need to pay to destress.

If you do not like insects, I do not recommend this place. Our little friends are there to stay because they have such a wonderful environment away from the pollution. I enjoyed falling asleep with the sounds of our little friends and waking up with the fresh air and birds singing.

Dinner buffet served fresh from their own garden but tasted "so-so." I prefer the breakfast more though.

We later decided it would not be complete going home without trying their signature massage. The experience was worth the price. Room is quiet and relaxing with private shower too. The dalandan tea was super yummy. They have a couple's room too which I would like to come back with my hubby someday soon.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I have dined at Sonya's a couple of times and find their food k-ok. But I decided to give their spa a try as they are one the most reasonably priced spas in Tagaytay. I was delighted that the reservation via mobile was very easy and reliable. Their staff continuously checked on us and even called us when I told them that we were having a hard time looking for the place ( I was just a passenger the first few times I went there and this time, waze and google maps were epic fail). I was surprised that they did not cancel our reservation given that we were already 30minutes late. The receptionist was very welcoming and even prioritized asking how we are. On to the massage, the couples' room was very spacious and had a very homey feel. Two thumbs up for the bathroom; very modernized Filipino touch. The massage was GREAAAAAT! I'd do this every 2 weeks if it were for 500 Php but it's a bit pricey (895 Php).. I love the fact that the masseurs were focused in their craft (no chit chats)...And the finale, hot dalandan tea with basil, what a way to end the night. We will definitely go back for another massage at Sonya's,

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We went there just for a massage. Travel time from tagaytay city is around 30 mins. Place is great and very cozy. They charge additional 100pesos for a couples room btw. Regular Body Massage is around 700-800 pesos per hr. When we arrive there the weather is fine we can still hear birds outside the window but while they were massaging us it rained so hard that we were so cold because all the windows were open. Overall it was a great experience. Try also the "panaderia" because they make great breads.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

It was already late afternoon, and we were on our way back to Manila but because of heavy traffic, we decided to go back to avail of the massage offered at Sonya's Garden, so that we won't be sleepy on our return trip.
We availed of full body massage. Therapist & services were very good. There is a sign that says "Quiet Spa Area" . But I was not able to totally relax because of the extremely loud continuous croaking of the frogs for the whole duration of almost two hours. Acdg to them the frogs stop croaking at around 9:00pm to 10:00pm. Shower area was so very dimly lit. I am not sure of the cleanliness of the bathroom & shower area. I noticed that there are soiled areas around the shower pipes and cobwebs aplenty on all the lamps around shower area.

Despite this, I would still recommend Sonya's Spa, as their services are friendly and excellent. Just avail of the massage during a cool day instead of night time.

They also serve good salads, with delicious dressings !

Room Tip: There are no airconditioned rooms at Sonya's Garden, so better book when the climate is cool.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sonya's Garden B&B? Share your experiences!