“Excellent getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sonya's Garden B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tagaytay
Sonya's Garden B&B
You added Sonya's Garden B&B to your Saves list
Barangay Buck Estate | Alfonso, Cavite, Tagaytay, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #4 of 83 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Want to be lulled to sleep by the sound of falling water and a chorus of crickets, We stayed there for 3 days during the first week of June 2013 and found the place a little bit of paradise. It's aptly named, as being there is being in a lush garden surrounded by verdant foliage full of beautiful and fragrant flowers. We loved the cottage we were given (Fennel), which was quaint in décor and very generously proportioned (it was actually huge). The food was well-prepared and of good quality, although we thought it could be helped with a bit of variety. The spa had fine facilities, nothing fancy but more than adequate - and had excellent staff who knew what they were doing. Everywhere, we found the staff to be attentive, friendly, smart and happy to help - a great example of the warm culture of the people of Alfonso, Cavite. Ms Sonya took the time to chat and get to know her guests, would know them by name almost from the first meeting and often staff would let us know that she was asking after us to know if we had eaten. A true and gracious hostess. No wonder this place is a success. The rates are not cheap, but not terribly expensive either - one could just imagine what it would cost to stay in a place like this in ?Europe! We were sad to leave, and would definitely come back - a decision my partner made after our first evening here!

To those other former guests who complained in their reviews that there were ants and other insects in the room - well yes, there were. We found a few on a corner of the room, and we had an occasional 'visitor' (a moth, a butterfly). We weren't bothered at all by these - you're in the middle of a garden, for goodness' sakes, there's bound to be insects! The rooms are all screened so we never felt that we were in danger of getting bitten. (Note: The ratings option below won't allow me to not rate the pool and fitness centre - which is silly as Sonya's Garden doesn't have these facilities, so please disregard the 'Terrible' ratings for these two items.)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Mandaluyong, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

A friend took me and two other colleagues there for a relaxing Saturday, and it did not disappoint. We came for the food, but the place was quaint and quite nice.

Food was limited in terms of choice (you either eat from the buffet, or you don't eat at all), but I'm pretty sure anyone would like it. Aside from the fully customizable salad, they served pasta which you can also modify to your heart's content.

Will try to go back for the Bed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We love the rooms and the linens. It’s very clean and very relaxing. There’s no TV set or cable in the room so you can rest fully. This is the perfect place to unwind. The room also has fresh tarragon leaves for your tea, a perfect drink before hitting the sack.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Pasig, Rizal, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We go here whenever we visit Tagaytay. The place is relaxing and beautiful. It has a lot of plants and vines. The food that they serve for lunch is the best. Definitely worth the money. The Sonya's bakery's food are fresh and tastes good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Stockton-on-Tees
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I was looking for a quiet and serene place where I could spend my birthday with my family and this place was perfect. They gave us the huge Lavander house and everything in it was beautiful. I was so happy because my family loved it.

Buffet meals were served though there wasn't much choice. They served Filipino breakfast during our stay and it was great.

They offer massage and spa services. We tried Sonya's Signature massage which was truly relaxing.

Sonya's Garden is quite a road trip from the city centre but worth the travel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Here's another exceptional eatery in Tagaytay. But what makes this place special is the scenery. From the parking lot to the restaurant it's just an amazing display of beautiful flowers and exotic plants and vines. Most buildings roofs can not even be seen because they're over grown with garden. It makes the place appear so lush and green. Water pours into small pots along the walkway adding that extra touch of serenity. Hidden lover's nooks are nestled throughout the property and there's an classic antique feel and decor that transports you back to another less busy time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Traveling to Manila on business the week before, a local coworker - and now, dare I say, friend! - took me on a road trip that included a visit to this lovely little gem of a bed and breakfast.

She booked me there for one night, joining me on my arrival day in having dinner once we recovered from our massages in the spa. The massage? Wonderful. Had another one the next morning before I left! It's a gorgeous place to take in some nature. Lots of flowers and lighting at night to make you feel like you're in another world.

The room - I stayed in "Mint" - was said to be the most secluded (I think lowest on the hill, so lots of stairs). All rooms, as far as I can tell, are screened-in. Full rooms, mind you - but instead of glass windows, you have screens is all. Antique feeling and actual furnishings make you feel like you've entered another time in history. I slept wonderfully, to the sounds of the woods and the light breeze flowing through the room. I didn't want to leave. The shower has a rustic luxuriousness to it in that it's a pebble floor with a rainfall head, and you're surrounded by screens instead of windows. The water from the shower drains out down the hillside, so it's all rather green in that regard (natural soap and shampoo are provided).

My only "gripe" was that the food wasn't really all that special. This could be a cultural issue in that what "English" items they serve are mediocre (plain pasta that is a bit dried out and no real 'sauce' to put on it, aside from an odd 'sun-dried tomato' sauce that was less sauce and more of a puree; an omelette with cheese, mushrooms, and something red - that sauce from dinner?). Yet, locals apparently come here for the food. As I'm not a fan of Filippino cuisine, perhaps that's my disconnect.

The night I was there, they had a wedding reception going on up front. The music floated through the trees and, though 80-90s era pop, was pleasant in a way. It ended at a reasonable hour, around 9pm. However, I was fairly far away by compare of some others, whom I heard from Sonya herself (I met her at breakfast), had complained and cried over the noise. No one else seemed bothered, and like I said, it ended at a reasonable time.

The service was fantastic. Lila was on top of things at all times and very gracious about everything.

All in all, it's a wonderful place to check out for a night, a massage, and a walk through the gardens, if only to get away from the city for a while.

Room Tip: If you're concerned about noise, see if you can get a room situated at the back of the property...