“Don't book this hotel! Almost ruined my trip in the Philippines” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Estancia Resort

You added Estancia Resort to your Saves list
Estancia Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Zone 2, Bgy. San Jose Tagaytay City,, Tagaytay, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Tagaytay
Sydney, Australia
“Don't book this hotel! Almost ruined my trip in the Philippines”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Walked in the hotel and immediately was not what I had expected from the website and photos. Was walked from the reception to the room. It took 20 minutes to get to the room downhill. It was not only NOT the room we had booked (we booked a room in the main hotel) the lock didn’t work (there were workmen walking around) and it smelled. Basically you could compare the room to a dilapidated tree house. No TV channels, room service or any amenities other than the bed themselves. The room moved as you walked across it. Smelled of rotting wood and mould. I was actually worried about our safety. The bathroom could be compared to a public toilet. The hotel was being renovated and the workmen catcalled as we walked past (my sister and myself by ourselves). Had to walk back uphill to the hotel only to find out there was NO Internet services. Then when we asked for a car or cab to take us to an Internet cafe was directed to a petty cab. Eventually had to walk down the street to another hotel (we had seen on trip adviser and should have in hindsight booked in the first place). We were helped by the manager and shown the rooms, which we immediately booked in this hotel of absolute luxury and went back to Estancia for our bags. Could not just check out but had to stand in the reception area with the staff from he other hotel (awkward) and wait to speak with an the HR rep. At this point I was fuming and the girl at reception would not send someone to collect our bags (which was going to take 40 minutes to bring to the hotel). Ran out of that place and ended up having an amazing and very memorable (for the right reasons) trip staying at Discovery Suites down the road. I am not only never going back there but have chosen to write a review on trip adviser for the first time just to warn people away. The room we booked online was not what we ended up with and the pictures are not a true representation of the hotel. I travel a lot always booking online and have never been more shocked at the difference between what I thought we was booking and what we got. In retrospect it was one of the cheapest hotels I have ever booked and I guess you get what you paid for or even less. So disappointed but recommend going to Tagaytay and staying somewhere or anywhere else.

Room Tip: the rooms are not what you see in online photoes
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Makati, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I usually base my decision on reviews here and other travel forums. The reviews are mixed, and I thought it would be not such a great risk since we will only be staying overnight.

We chose the stand alone native huts, thinking that it might be great to stay in a room with a good view of Taal Volcano.

Check-in was insane. There was only one person at the reception area and it was quite unfortunate we were checking in the same time as a large crowd. From the reception area, it is best that private vehicles are parked a level down.

The native hut is about 500 meters from from the main lobby, and can be reached through and uphill and downhill path. It can get very dark at night and going out might be quite tedious.

Now, the particular hut assigned to to us was in a terrible state! It smelled of old, rotting wood. It felt and smelled moldy -- even the mattress, the pillows and the sheets smelled musty! That's what happens when a room in a wet environment does not often get much sun.

The lighting fixtures were falling apart, the wall sockets do not seem to be regularly maintained. Same is with the toilet.

Free breakfast was a plated meal - choose from 7 options. For an additional price, it can be served via room service.

Room Tip: If one must choose a room here, stay at main hotel
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
manila
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

be careful in considering this hotel. the lobby and facade are the only nice things in this hotel.
we had a bad experience. we booked 3 casitas for an overnight stay. In the group are 2 senior citizens and 4 kids under 12.

too pricey for a lousy facility.

In the room where my sister stayed in the water heater exploded literally. and the maintenance people did nothing to it. the way to the room 30 is so dark at night, there were no lighting at all to guide you on your way in or out the cottage.
the room where we stayed in, room 31 the roof was leaking when it rained!

the next day, they were charging us 100 pesos extra just to bring the breakfast plates to out room.

they didn't have an in-house medical staff for emergency cases neither do they have a car service to bring you to the nearest medical facility; which was the case with my nephew. they had to wake one of our companion to drive to the nearest hospital.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

I stayed at the estancia hotel in tagaytay for 2 weeks for the month of april. Food great , staff friendly , great value, although some parts are under renovation , the hotel looked magnificent, the pool very clean, there were security 24/7 , my family ( me my wife 2 kids) felt very secured, recoomend it to anyone who wants to unwind in the philippines.

• Stayed April 2011
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

I booked this resort 3D2N because I want to relax after a stressful training in Singapore and they promised that they have a spacious view of Taal Volcano which is the main consideration for booking this hotel but when we get to our room I was surprise that there is no Taal Volcano View their all i can see is just the lake, their website really tell a lie and it's disabled, their swimming pool is dirty as nobody swim in their because the weather is cold and foggy, the jacuzzi is not that hot and has a lots of mosquito, the location is so far from the market where you can buy a food coz their food is so expensive. But the staff is really good, they always smile at you evrytime you encounter them. All in all we enjoyed our stay their because it's really peaceful and quiet that every couple wants when they are dating and the climate is so good as well for a romantic night, cold enough for a hot and romantic night.hahahaha

Room Tip: Nipa Hut Room best for couple.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

When in Tagaytay, the place itself is fascinating as long as you are facing the view of the lake. This is exactly what makes this resort tick if you are in a room with a lakeview. The resort was newly renovated with a contrasting combination of new and old buildings found within the premises. We were billeted in a cottage-style building and fortunate enough to have our room overlooking the famous Taal Lake. The downside of it all was the inconvenience of walking along a narrow pathway leading to your building/room and this will pose a problem when it is raining or during wet season. While in your room, it’s an exhilarating experience to step out into the veranda at dusk or dawn and have a peek of the majestic Taal Volcano while relishing the cool breeze of Tagaytay.

Generally, staying in this place is good for the romantically inclined or simply having a relaxing day with your loved ones. If you’re a little picky with your food, their restaurant is not the place to dine and I would suggest that you take your car and go somewhere else. The food is not delightful to the palate considering the pricey tags they have. What I like most with this place is its sprawling area where you can feel isolated and secluded from the crowd. Simply overrated but a great place to be with your partner or with the family because they have bigger rooms that are available too. The staff are friendly and accommodating but that ends there. If you would ask to be tended with your needs, they are very unreliable and the service is slow. You might enjoy the place but don’t rely on the staff to provide you with your needs. Go there bringing with you everything that you may need so that you won’t be asking for anything from them and be irked while waiting.

I would still recommend this as a place to go in Tagaytay but I would rather try other places if given another chance to stay a day or two in Tagaytay.

• Stayed December 2010
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

We went there on the off peak season. We were the only people walking around so we feel the exclusivity of this resort. It's somehow i guess ok for the price i pay because of the relaxing ambiance i feel. The staffs are friendly also and their breakfast was ok. One thing I didn't like is that they charge us the frozen mineral water partly our fault because we move it to the freezer coz we didn't know once their frozen they are considered sold. But overall rating was great. It's near Rotonda and they are great for overnight stay budget. I definitely will go back.

• Stayed March 2011

Been to Estancia Resort? Share your experiences!