“Zoo Review” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Tagaytay
Manila, Philippines
“Zoo Review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We wanted to bring our daughter to the zoo and when deciding whether to go to Manila Zoo or the Residence Inn Zoo in Tagaytay, we chose the latter due to all the negative reviews of Manila Zoo.  It's a very small collection; you can actually be done in less than half an hour and there are no remarkable animals around (I guess except for the collection of tarantulas..but that might be just me).  There are several shops strewn around the small place selling toys and souvenir items, and there's a small restaurant which we didnt try. There's also a zip line, which was actually the busiest area in the place. Entrance fee was 199php on a weekday; I'm not sure if the rate is the same on weekends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Paranaque, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

My bf and I stayed at the Residence Inn Tagaytay for our pre-Valentine's Celeb. Got the accommodation from an online deal and it includes an overnight stay at the view-deck room, zipline/cable car for 2, and free entrance to the zoo. First of all, with regards to the location, it is just alongside the highway (so easy to find).
Check-in: 12 noon; check-out: 11am.

Going to the rooms, you have to go down the steep stairs (which we had a hard time doing so at night). You really have to be careful so big luggage/stroller is a no no although there is a staff readily available to carry your stuff. Our room is just in front of the zipline area and with a stunning view of the mountains. The room is indeed big but quite old. It has a large bed (comfortable but not that clean), air-conditioning unit (old, quite noisy, but working well), sofa (that is really old), sitting area/dining area for 2, TV with HD satellite/cable, bathroom with hot and cold shower (with a tissue paper, shampoo that is already open, and a small soap + 2 towels), refrigerator (working but with rust all over, and spiderwebs at the back). There were ants everywhere inside the bathroom. You can't walk barefooted inside the room because of the ants as well (and upon entering the room during the night, there was a black butterfly flying all over the room which we had difficulty getting rid of).

Anyway, this place is great if you'll just be staying for a night or so or to just retire from a whole day of adventure in Tagaytay.

They have an on-site restaurant but we weren't able to taste any of their food (quite expensive). The Wi-Fi (free) is available only in this area. The positive thing about this place is their Zoo. There were a lot of animals (and indeed, they were very much tamed). You won't hear any noise from 'em even during the night. The magic show + creepy crawlies show was fun (Sundays only)! There were a lot of souvenir shops and photo opps with the animals. They allowed us to ride a zipline one-way and cable car for the return. The view was great, quite scary because it was too high but awesome.!

We really had fun. The place was well-maintained; the room though needs some maintenance, but the size is more than enough. The view- I'm speechless. It was great. The activities- you won't get bored (also, there is a horseback riding just in front of the property- separate fee). Finally, the staff; they were okay- accommodating and not rude at all.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

we went to the residence inn for my daughter to see animals.. we arrived around 10 am. i was with my mom, husband, brother and daughter. my mom wants to avail the senior discount.. apparently they don't honor that instead gave her a discount because it was mother's day.. so if it was mother's day i should have a discount too, right'' but i didn't bother to argue since we only have limited time. the place was dirty or because it rained the night before.. they also have a zipline, which i thought was inclusive of the entrance fee but if u want to ride, u have to pay extra.. even the horse back riding in front of the place, they charge extra...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011 via mobile

Not recommended... For guest traveler BIG NO NO!!! too bad :(

• Stayed December 2010
Makati
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

I was supposed to write an entire blog post about this but decided to just put my review here in Trip Advisor.

This is not a senior citizen friendly accomodation - Steep and uneven steps.
I also wouldn't recommend this for kids because it's dangerous. The railings aren't secure enough because kids can easily climb up.

One perk we got though was, we can roam around for free in the Residence Inn Zoo.

My comments:
-Bed full of ants. As of 11pm that night, more than a dozen ants killed
-Stained Pillows. The other pillow has a long hair. On the feet area of the bed, a short hair.
-Dirty Sofa (with marks)
-Rusted old Refrigerator (not sure if it's even working)
-No shampoo/ soap provided. Only toilet paper
-Soiled sink with lots of ants. Same with the toilet bowl
-Dirty shower area.
-Broken safety door lock
-Ants all over the wall, cockroaches that wasn't killed even after stepping on it thrice and some unknown specie of spiders on the ceiling and corners

Ok, some people might not believe me. I have every single thing documented. I saved it as a draft in my blog. If you are the owner or investor in that place and you want proof, I will publish that said blog post for everyone to see.

This has got to be the worst out of the more than 50 hotels I've been to worldwide. I didn't sleep the entire night. I didn't even take a bath. I just waited for the morning to come, checked out and searched for another place.

Just want to disclose that I got this overnight stay as an ex-deal so basically, I didn't pay for a single dime but technically, this is fully paid for because I rendered a service in exchange.

I have uploaded several photos here in trip advisor. See for yourselves. Worst punishment in my life to stay there.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Makati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

Residence Inn is the perfect place to go to if you are on a budget and you are looking for a place to stay overnight away from the city.

Rooms are ok, some of the lights didn't work though or there were switches that didn't do anything. I was amazed on how big the room was (for its price), bigger than most hotel rooms I've stayed in. As expected the view from our room was amazing.

The food was great, although the restaurant service needs some work. There was only one particular waiter that stood out and provided good customer service, the rest seemed to ignore you. So I made it a point to always call on that waiter so that he got the tip. If the food their menu is not your cup of tea, then there are a lot of other restaurants nearby.

In fact the nice thing about Residence Inn is you can use it as a home base when exploring Tagaytay, and when you're done going around, Residence Inn also has other activities to keep you busy.

First there is the zoo, while I am not a fan of caged animals (please check my other reviews on Avilon 'cage-less' Zoos), the animals here seemed to be well taken care of, plus they have a photo booth station where you cn have your picture taken with a baby tiger and lion (although the lion handler wasn't around at that time). But the really fun part about this place was the Zip-line ride, its short and not too steep but thrilling enough to give a rush and not too extreme that kids can ride them as well.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay, most of the hotel staff are friendly and will definitely go back here with the kids and friends.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Manassas, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

For the many times that I have there, I only enjoyed the Tiger by the entrance and the entertaining Sunday Magic Show. I look forward to it everytime I go there and I have even told my friends to make sure that they make it one if the stops when they are in tagaytay. This has changed from the previous times that I have been there. It is disappointing to find out that the entertainment has changed into a cheapy looking show. The surroundings hasnt improved and now, the show has been changed to a cheap one. It looks like they just added the show just to have a show and does not consider the fact that there are people out there paying just to see their place. They should at least make it worthy with the amount of money that they are charging.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Residence Inn Tagaytay? Share your experiences!