“Perfect staff but starting to show its age” 4 of 5 stars

T House Tagaytay
3195 Calamba Road, Tagaytay, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #13 of 79 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
Manila
“Perfect staff but starting to show its age”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

My wife and I stayed in T House when it first opened a few years ago and really loved it. When I proposed to her about a year and a half ago, I took her back here since that trip was our very first out of town trip together.

We returned to T House this year by virtue of a coupon where we received a hefty (I think it was around 50%) discount on a room. T House was just as we remembered it, with beautiful exteriors and minimalist interiors. I feel like some of the former reviews have been a bit unfair about the interior decor, all of which I found tasteful and minimalist. I will agree that some of their amenities are showing their age. The bathroom sink felt like it ws coming loose, and the aircon was a little on the loud side.

The staff more than made up for any shortcomings though. They achieve the perfect blend of politeness and respecting your privacy at the same time, which I appreciated greatly.

We may have been biased somewhat because of our memories of the place and because we got a discount on our stay, but if they make the necessary adjustments I believe that the T House is worth a try.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms may have older airconditioners. Try and see if your aircon is noisy first before...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Manila, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

This is my first time to write a review with a heavy heart. I just got back from the trip with my boyfriend and here i am, eager to post the downside of this "B&B:.

First, i had no problem on the booking/reservation part. We stayed using a discount voucher and we were treated like regular customers. When we got there, we were able to check in at 12nn even though their normal C.I time is at 2pm. The receptionist was even nice to arrange a "special something" for us since it was our anniversary. However, i still have to write about the downside.

The facade of the hotel was okay for me. It was a lot better than the inside. Why? (please scan all my pictures for proofing) simply because it was a wannabe. Unfortunate for me to use such strong word but the room was POORLY FURNISHED / DIRTY and EXTREMELY SMELLY. I'm a very sensitive person when it comes to comfort and it saddened me the moment I received the room key. Most of the hotels offers a special key or something out of the box and not the usual/regular ones we use at home. Even though it was just a key, i just know that even that alone says A LOT ALREADY. When i opened the door, i was taken aback when i saw the television. It was a tiny one , not even flat screen, mind you AND it was place on top of a wooden tv stand. It looked back and i am not kidding on this one as i have a picture of it. Okay, the tv couldn't have slipped my mind if i DIDN'T see the BATHROOM. This one, i really really recommend everyone reading this review to please have a look at the photos i posted under my account. Here it goes, the wall was painted. PAINTED TERRIBLY. The ceiling and nameless toilet bowl? Priceless. The worst part was their SHOWER. I'm running out of words on how i can explain fairly and properly how bad it was. Ugh, again check the photos. Okay i will have to skip on some of the details and jump to their so called "tranquility bed". COME ON, you've got to be kidding me. THERE WERE ANTS! It was the border line of everything aside from the fact that it was INTENSELY HARD to be even considered a bed. I don't know how they face up to people asking that much money while offering so little. I'm disappointed in a major way as this is my first time to be in a place who asks a big chunk of payment but then again , what do we get in return?

For the breakfast? It was so-so, nothing special with their beef tapa. A LITTLE TOUGH for my taste. Interior? For the nth time, poorly decorated. B&B wannabe. I appreciated some of their confused area like for instance their glass kitchen, clever idea on that one but they could've placed neat/clean-looking utensils. I saw their skillets hanging. Very old school and looked dirty.

I have to cut this one now as i find it lengthy already but i do hope that this will serve as a guide / "warning" to future tourists who would want to spend their night at T-HOUSE.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

Was just at the T house over the weekend with my boyfriend who just celebrated his birthday and I can't wait to go back.

I sent them an e-mail regarding the occasion and purpose of our visit but didn't get any reply. Upon following up via their land-line, I did get a confirmation that they received my email (this is one area they need to work on).

I was quite hesitant to book us at this hotel at first having been used to staying at the Discovery Suites all the time and with all the mixed reviews I've read about it. But since I have no other choice (Discovery being fully booked for the weekend since January and my boyfriend doesn't like The Boutique), I decided to go with the T house.

Upon arriving at the gate, my boyfriend was initially unimpressed (he's very picky about the places we stay). But upon entering our room, his whole perspective changed. We were surprised to find the room showered with rose petals and this led all the way to the bathroom and tub. It was also thoughtful of them not to place petals on the bed but a single long-stemmed rose on it. A few minutes after settling down, a small cake and candle was delivered to our room with a "Happy Birthday" greeting written with chocolate on the plate. The bedroom was very neat and smelled really wonderful (a very important thing). What got to me was how big the bathroom is. It was almost as big as the bedroom with the bathtub on one side. The only downside is that the tub is small and the lock on the (bathroom) sliding door are quite a thing to master.

We also got a complimentary foot soak which we opted to have in the outdoor spa. It was quite uneventful (as truly they will just soak your feet) but quite refreshing and relaxing at the same time. The wooden chairs they have at the outdoor spa was surprisingly comfortable.

I was getting ready to be attacked by bugs and mosquitoes (as some guests/reviewers claim) but thankfully, we didn't experience this at all. It was a cool day in Tagaytay and we decided to explore the area and it was nice to be surrounded with all the greeneries for a change. They have several areas where you can just read a book or have a nice conversation with someone for several hours. I suggest to have a no-TV policy while staying here to truly enjoy each others' company.

Food was great. I would definitely recommend the Salmon dish and my boyfriend like the Tawilis Sardines he had for breakfast.

The staff were all friendly and were prompt to meet guests' requests. Over-all, you'll get your value for your money and may find yourself wanting to return to the T house soon.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

the upsides: the angus beef tapa breakfast was good. the evening tea and cookies were a pleasant surprise before we tucked in for the night.

the real deal: we wanted to try a new hotel in tagaytay/cavite area, having stayed at sonya's b&b several times and nurture spa once (both of which we love!), and also at hotel dominique, which is surprisingly a great bargain. we tried discovery suites but the place was fully booked, so we opted to try another so-called boutique hotel.

the T house has a nice exterior. the modern architecture, esp. the all-glass kitchen walls looked refreshing. we stayed at earth 3, which seemed alright at first glance. the longer we stayed in the room we more we realized unsavory things about it. the walls and floors were poorly finished. if the architect or designer attempted to pass off the poor quality of construction as modern shabby look (like a modern take on sonya's), it failed miserably.

worst of all the bathroom fixtures were terrible. the no-name toilet bowl would not flush properly most of the time. the bathroom at first looked nicely done but for the space available they should've built an en suite bath instead, with a separate shower area. the room had no proper windows, since they opened out directly facing other units, so we kept them closed. there was no view whatsoever. the adjoining walls were so thin and not sound-proofed, we actually heard the neighboring unit's tv and toilet bowl flushing - i don't know whether to be annoyed or envious as a result.

there was a spa but we opted to take massages in the room. one expects a spa or spa service to have various types of massages. in T house, the massage is only either a 60-minute or 90-minute massage. there was no special aromatherapy or anything like that. it was an okay, no-frills massage, nothing special. the massage was nothing compared to nurture spa's massage services

the meals were alright but too expensive for the quality, at over 400 PHP. we had lunch at verbena in discovery suites on saturday and it was exquisite! it was well worth the sum we paid. we didn't feel cheated. can't say the same about T house...

because we were having such a great time in tagaytay before our stay in T house we decided to just let things slide while we there and concentrate on the good stuff. at least the staff at the T house were generally courteous and friendly. overall we paid nearly 8K for a night, which is almost about the same cost as a night in nurture spa, but with the excellent facilities, massage treatments (2 treatments for each person in the 8K package) and much better overall experience in nurture spa. i wouldn't return to T house.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

I came to know of this place on my frequent trips to Tagaytay last year. My first stay at the T House happened in the very stormy months of September last year. Though I was not able to enjoy much the facilities it has to offer because of the rains and opted to spend most of the time inside the room, I was able to find accomodating, kind and wonderful people in this place.

Because it stuck in my mind how wonderful the people at the T House were, I decided to spend some ME Time here this year during my birthday.

I found the place welcoming me at a time when I needed to be comforted, treated well and most of all given special attention.

The spa and the massage services were also a key to my decision in choosing my ME Time place since who would not want a good massage after going through a lot of stress and troubled times.:) And it exceeded my expectations, because I really had a relaxing one and my feet were really given the pampering they needed during my foot spa and pedi session.:)

Each breakfast I had at the place too did not make me feel so lonely though I was all alone because the very kind staff put a nice set up in front of my room so I can dine al fresco each morning.:)

My nights were very quiet too which I totally needed during my stay so I was able to enjoy the chilly nights in Tagaytay.

With all these being said, I will definitely love to go back really soon and be sootheg again.:)

A complete view on how I spent those days at the T House can be found on my blog which I choose to share: http://beccabooby.blogspot.com/2010/03/chronicles-of-my-me-time.html

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

It's a good thing I was with two very good girlfriends when we stayed at the T House for one night. The company, laughter and time together more than made up for a lot of things that were lacking in the T House.

The room- We stayed at Earth 3. Upon entering there was this sweet, cloying smell of their Glade plug-in. I immediately unplugged it. That was that. There was a Queen sized bed in the middle room and nothing else. OF course, there was airconditing but no mini bar. No working desk with chair. The bathroom was ok. Nice in fact but no separate shower stall. The water was merely a drizzle. Not strong enough for an honest to goodness shower. AND the hot water was non existent. Good thing the guard fixed it for us- more on that later.

The food- Breakfast took an hour to get to our table. By that time we were sooo hungry. Pancakes were not at all impressive. My friend had the French Toast and she wasn't that happy either. The hashbrown was good but I think it was bought frozen and then deep fried. How hard can that be, right?

Service- their guard was an all around person in the hotel- maintenance (fixed our hot water), housekeeping (tried to pad our extra bed to make it more bearable on my poor back). Apparently they don't have staff on duty 24-hours- this despite being a weekend. I was puzzled as to why the guard kept on showing up whenever we needed something. Apparently, that's part of his job description. Go figure!

As far as it being TRANQUIL- well, it wasn't. We could hear other guests thru the paper thin walls PLUS the church bells were pealing (which made the dogs on the property crazy) at around 6 am (?) the next day. Not such a good thing to be woken up by that after a night of drinking with friends.

The cool weather in Tagaytay more than made up for all of these disappointing things but it was still painful handing over a wad of cash after taking a shower in cold water and sleeping on a rock hard mattress.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

I am a traveler and visits new places every quarter. I was quite excited to try T-house before the year ends since Tagaytay is not that far from Manila. I am quite surprised that the room is so small compared to the photos in their website. I am really frustrated as I felt Im just only in my room at home. Their rate is not reasonable for the facilities they offer: room doesn't have bathrobe, cotton buds, and hair dryer, no enough tissue, pop-up (floor drain) of the bathtub is defective, even footsteps from outside can be heard inside the room (rooms are clustered and no privacy). I just wished that I stayed in a hotel in manila wherein you could have deluxe service, great food, privacy (since T-house does not have much facilities like pool and huge garden that you could hang around and you will really stay in your room or visit other places in tagyatay), incomplete toiletries. Though, you would say that ambiance in tagaytay is different mainly because of the cool temp. If you really wanted to have value for money and really want in tagaytay...Sonia's garden is much better.

On the otherhand, their food is tasty and their adobo lechon kawali is quite new to my tastebud and would recommend to the guests. I was also excited to have their breakfast but to my surprise, they offer very few food compared to sonia's garden.

Aesthetic of the structure is quite impressive, very modern. Good for photo ops...

I am a person who loves to give commendation and appreciation, however, I also shares an objective feedback not just for a heck of it but for them to shape up and improve their services. This is my first time to post a feedback because of my disapointment.

Every guest has its own definition of satisfaction, you may try this place to experience on the service/facilities they will offer.

-Certified Traveler-

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Been to T House Tagaytay? Share your experiences!