TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

“A Trip To Chitral” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hindukush Heights Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chitral
Hindukush Heights Hotel
You added Hindukush Heights Hotel to your Saves list
Hindukush Heights, Chitral, Pakistan   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chitral
Lahore, Pakistan
“A Trip To Chitral”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I went with my family to spend a week in chitral in october. I stayed at a fabulous hill resort hotel called Hindukush Heights. I want to share my experiences with fellow travelers. This was a place of real peace and quiet away from it all. The food was tasty with a large variety of the best quality. What i liked best was the friendly staff at the hotel, who always made us feel at home. We went by one of the daily flights of PIA of islamabad and returned by road. The road journey through the 8.5 km lowari tunnel was a great experience.

Room Tip: Choose room number 102,107,111 and 112 .
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Islamabad, Pakistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We spent 5 days in Hindukush Heights and had a wonderful time. We were so well looked after by Siraj and his wife that it felt like staying at a very comfortable house of an old friend- but with even better food! I had all sorts of strange dietary requirements but nothing was too much trouble for the kitchen and Iqbal must be the best waiter in Pakistan.

We enjoyed some lovely walks, including through the local village and with Siraj and his enormous dog. Everyone was very friendly with constant offers of cups of tea. A beautiful place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Rawalpindi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

As a family we went to Chitral and stayed at the Hindu Kush Heights. We experienced a very warm welcome at the Airport and from that moment till we left we were extremely well looked after. The views are fantastic, the food was excellent, the rooms were clean and comfortable and the entire staff always served us with a smile. The itinerary suggested by Siraj( Siraj Ul Mulk the owner) was fabulous and very well suited to our three night stay. Each day left us spell bound by the natural beauty and the friendly people, each day we got back "home" and were refreshed with a hot bath, fabulous food and live Chitrali and Kalash music. Hosting Major Langlands was a unique experience at HKH and it was a pleasure to meet this great man. Our only regret was that Siraj himself was away to Islamabad. The highlight of course was our visit to Bhamburet providing an insight into the unique Kalash culture. Lt Gen (R) Javed Alam Khan

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I went my family to the Hindukush Heights Hotel in Chitral couple of weeks ago. I must say we had the most wonderful time of our lives. The hotel is an un-found gem in Chital. From the time we arrived to the time we left, the staff and the owner - Mr Siraj took personal care of us. The amenities are non other than a luxury hotel. Small details are looked after and you instantly feel like you are at your home. The staff are exceptional and looks after you every second you are there. It is a MUST to stay at the Hindukush Heights when you are visiting Chitral or planning trecking/exploring other areas such as Kalash. They arrange everthing for you - leave it to them. Excellent hotel, great location, wonderful staff and a really caring owners. What a treat it has been:) Thank you everyone at the Hindukush Hotel. You really made our trip wonderful!

Room Tip: Call them - there are there to help.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Coming by road to Chitral and also leaving by the same method, albeit on a different route, brings home to you just how remote and difficult it is to get there. It was not in my original plan that I would do it the hard way but because of the vaguaries of the weather and the national carrier's serviceability problems, that is how I got there and got out. It is something of a shame that it is so hard to do and also it makes getting to your objective extra special when you have somewhere to stay at the end of your journey like the Hindukush Heights. The shame is that many more cannot make it here.
I am not going to repeat the superlatives already posted by previous reviewers referring to view and location, though I agree with everything said.
The owners were not present on my abbreviated visit but I had met Siraj Ul-Mulk on my way north in Islamabad and had lunch and a very informative chat about Pakistan, Chitral and life. Siraj kept track of my progress both to and from Chitral which was important to me that someone was doing this.
His hotel was left in the extremely competent hand of his manager, Azam. Now Azam is a very special person. Besides being a very good hotel manager he is also a Kalash (a native of one of the three remote Kalash Valleys located south west of Chitral and extending to the Afghan border). The Kalash people have a totally different outlook on life from the rest of Pakistan in that they are not Muslim and have their own religion, traditions and way of life. The prime reason I had visited this corner of the country was to have a glimpse of these special people and their way of life.
I make no excuses for including this in my hotel review because without Azam and his hotel, this could not have happened.
Now all Pakistanis (though not too many others) will know that the recognised founder of their country and their greatest statesman was Muhammad Ali Jinnah. He was (and is) so revered that he was given the honorific of "Quaid-e-Azam". This translates to "Greatest Leader".
The Kalash people can call their children by any name, irrespective of sex, and some are named after household names like "bucket" or new innovations such as "computer" or, apparently, there is even a "Pepsi". What they do not have is the same name as anyone else. Luckily for Azam, his father, like most Pakistanis, revered Jinnah and named his son Quaid-e-Azam. Now that gives you something to live up to.
It was, therefore, very special that Azam took me to his home valley of Rumbur. Instead of arriving there as a gawping tourist it was to be as a welcome guest. On arrival everyone was there to greet him (his wife and family especially) and, after being shown the village dance hall and the shop we went to his home and had a thoroughly fine day talking, being entertained by local musicians and dancers and drinking the local mulberry-based liquor called Tara. This was an extremely special day meeting very fine people. There are plenty of websites about the people and their way of life but I have attached some of my own photographs.
My only advice to other visitors is to take it easy on Tara. It is potent.
Before coming to the Chitral hotel I had crossed the Shandur Pass (12,500ft?) coming from Gilgit and stayed overnight at the Hindukush Heights property there. This consists of six chalets by the old Mastuj Fort. I was the only visitor and was treated royally. An absolutely superb three-course dinner was prepared for me and immaculately served. It was fairly chilly as you are still at an elevation of over 8,000ft. Adequate blankets and hot water made for a comfortable stay. I have never had breakfast in a more splendid open air setting with a table set in the meadow/orchard with clean mountain air and birdsong as the backdrop (see photo). On subsequently arriving at the parent hotel in Chitral you could tell that they were run by the same people because the food and service were at the same level of excellence.
Thank you Hindukush Heights for a memorable experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Islamabad, Islamabad, Pakistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

No internet (or, at least, not much), no television, pretty basic bathroom - just a sweeping view over a mountain valley, a wonderful welcome that made me always feel at home, great food served with a smile, a sense of serenity and a genial host who will provides advice and good company on tap: for these reasons, and many more, the Hindu Kush Heights is my favourite hotel in Pakistan.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I stayed in the Hindukush Heights hotel and also undertook a horse riding/walking trek arranged by them.
The first thing you notice about the hotel is its amazing cliff top location. All rooms have breathtaking views over Chitral. The service was attentive and the rooms clean, spaceous and comfortable. Hindukush Heights may not have the range of facilities of a big chain hotel, but it more than makes up for it in rustic charm. The atmosphere is more akin to a private home into which you have been welcomed, than a business.
As for the trek, it is hard to put into words what a truely remarkable, memorable experience it was. The landscapes in the region are some of the most beautiful anywhere in the world and in each village we stayed in, we were welcomed into the homes of local people, experiencing their famous hospitality and gaining a unique insight into their culture. I must also mention our wondrful guide, Habib, who could not have done more to ensure that we had the holiday of a lifetime.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hindukush Heights Hotel? Share your experiences!