“Could use some updating, but nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nyaung Oo Township, Mandalay Division, Bagan, Myanmar   |
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Bagan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York, NY
“Could use some updating, but nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The rooms could use a little updating, but overall a comfortable hotel in a lush setting. The pool is a nice place to relax, and feels like you are in a garden. We got massages at the hotel also, which was very nice. You cannot walk anywhere from the hotel as the road out of the hotel entryway is VERY long so you will need taxis or a driver. Great hotel to stay at when you are in Bagan!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Indonesian first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Firstly I should start by saying was very sick 3 of my 4 nights here so my memories of Amazing Bagan may be a little jaded as a result. That said, if I was going to be sick anywhere I am glad it was here and not the smaller Guest Houses I stayed.

Pros:
- With the exception of some of the front desk staff (when they are on the front desk),everyone is very sweet and extremely efficient. Any time I had a query someone was dispatched to my room immediately.
- The food I had - not a lot - was fine (although the piped Christmas Carols soon became old!)
- The pool is really lovely and has plenty of shade in nice gardens. It's a major selling point.
- The room (main building) was spacious, had nice furnishings, TV and a good bathroom
- The location is quiet and peaceful
- It's visually appealing resort
- Free Business Centre with email that (mostly) was a decent speed
- Free WIFI, although it was a bit intermittent

Cons:
- When I arrived I was greeted by a front desk person who walked me in but didn't say a word and looked a bit surly. Eventually, the first thing he said was "I need your passport", quite abruptly. That person seemed to disappear after 2 days and the others were better, but overall they appeared a bit rigid; helpful but not personable.Simply put it felt like a bit impersonal and as such, I felt less as though I was in Myanmar than at any other time.
- The dinner menu is limited and not terribly appealing (too western). This is a challenge if you are solo was you don't really want to fork out for taxis to other places.
- People say how great the bikes were. To be honest, I'd rather pay 1000KYAT (like in Inle Lake) for a bike that is the right height and has pumped up tyres, than have something "free" that is unsuitable. The staff member kept trying to give me a bike that was the right height but had soft tyres, as they nearly all did. He had no intention of pumping it up; it was as if I should be grateful it's free.
- It's hard to explain why, but the place doesn't have a buzz to it. There is something missing but I am not sure what. Maybe it stems from the front desk and having someone that appears to be a Manager around. I think if I'd been travelling in a group I'd have noticed less
- Biking would be a little easier if the road was paved properly

Despite these issues there are not huge and as I say, I was sick and this meant I couldn't fully appreciate the pool, one of the selling points. I did however appreciate the sanctuary it provided and how responsive people were.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This is a lovely place to stay if you want to get away and relax after temple-hopping. Garden landscaping is spectacular. We stayed in the bungalow suite which was big enough for 3 people and had breakfast included. The rooms are clean and they even had a Thanakha log and stone for you to use! The only thing was that the towels were a bit old.

The breakfast spread is good enough though it's the same everyday (except for one or two things being different). Ate dinner at the restaurant too on one night and it was good enough. Nyaung-U is only 10 minutes walk from the hotel if you want a bigger spread of food.

The thing I liked is that they have free bicycles for guests to use. The downside is that it is a bit far out from Old Bagan if you want to go temple hopping (20 minute bike ride before you hit Ananda Payo). Nevertheless that didn't stop me and a lot of guests from using it and going out for a day trip.

The golf course should be missed. It is rundown and if you do go, bring your own golf balls as they charge K1,500 for used ones!

Room Tip: Suite Bungalow is spacious and great for 3 people.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Banff National Park, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Amazing Bagan Resort is a great oasis to relax after long day of walking around the temples and Pagodas. The rooms are spacious and very clean and very nicely lacquer decorated. Flowers and fresh fruits in the room upon arrival was a very nice touch.

Staff are very friendly. I was bit confused when a staff showed up at the door with an emergency flashlight and candies in the evening -- service lost in translation! At first, I thought someone was trying to sell me something.

Free Breakfast buffet was very adequate.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

A peaceful location at the end of a long private road, near the golf club. Our room was a bungalow in the grounds, near the pool, and was spacious and comfortable.

Breakfast was poor, compared with the quality of the rest of the hotel. We did not use the dining room, but it was a rather depressing space.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We loved Amazing Bagan Resort! It was so refreshing to dive into the pool after a hot day biking around the temples. The kids especially loved that! The staff are super friendly and helpful. The rooms are huge, very clean, and nicely decorated. Great value for money. We stayed in the regular superior rooms. The individual bungalows would be a good choice too as they are right next to the pool. We chose the superior rooms as we needed two rooms, so this was the cheaper option rather than two bungalows. In hindsight, we could have all fitted in one room (2 adults and 2 kids), but by the time we pay for an extra foldaway it is not much difference than getting two rooms which is fare more comfortable. Getting to/from the hotel is easy. It's a 10 minute bicycle ride along a treed road to Nyaung U. We paid no extra for taxis ordered by the hotel, compared to getting one on the street in Nyaung U. Initially, we used the complimentary, rickety bicycles at the hotel but once in Nyaung U, we realised there were better ones on to rent to visit the Bagan temples. This is recommended as the bikes that the hotel have are really bad. Uncomfortable seats and bad brakes. We had one of our kids on the back of the bikes. The bikes in Nyaung U have a padded passenger seat over the rear wheel where as the ones at Amazing Bagan just have a metal rung. Both of our kids (9 & 7) could have ridden around Bagan but trying to find a kid's size bike was next to impossible. We only managed to find one. We told the hotel they should invest in better bikes to which the staff agreed but this seems to fall on deaf ears higher up in Managment/Hotel Owner.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was the highlight of our trip to Myanmar. We stayed in 1 of the bungalows set in the gardens away from the main building. Our bungalow was spacious, clean, very quiet with a comfortable bed. The staff were all so genuinely friendly. The breakfast was delicious. After lunch each day our guide would return us here so we could have a swim and a rest before we continued our sight seeing into sunset. Bikes were freely available but we walked each evening to the nearby large selection of cafes, restaurants and shops. Would love to return!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Amazing Bagan Resort? Share your experiences!