“Good Choice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 36 Hotels in Bagan
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Good Choice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed at the Kaday Aung Hotel for three nights in January 2013. We really enjoyed our stay, the grounds, swimming pool, and outdoor restaurant are very impressive. The superior rooms are good but not exceptional. Spacious rooms with mostly twin beds, but the bathroom did leave a bit to be desired but it was on a par with other hotels we stayed at of a similar rating - but hey for the price it was great. We would definitely stay there again. Beware of hiring the hotel's economy bikes they are almost guaranteed to let you down - pedals and chains fall off. Either invest in the top of the range mountain bike or rent elsewhere. Although cycling is the done thing here you will need a certain amount of fitness if you intend to do a day tour of the temples on one - the tracks between the temples are very sandy and rutted and it makes for hot and sweaty cycling, and there are miles and miles to cover if you choose. For those of you who like nightlife you should book a hotel in the back packers town of Nyuang U; New Bagan is a small new town which is a lot quieter, and Old Bagan is not a town at all - there are a group of high end hotels right amongst the temples but you would need a taxi to get anywhere. Getting between the three areas is relatively cheap though - £7 (7,000 kyatts) seems to be the minimum charge. We hired a car and a guide for the day, and it was worth it.

Room Tip: Definitely recommend the superior room which is a spacious bungalow. There are some pool side opti...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Indonesian first
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed at the Kaday Aung for 3 days on our wonderful tour of parts of Myanmar. This hotel has the potential to be an excellent boutique hotel. Sadly, it falls well short.
What's great?
* The pool with waterfall and sun beds all surrounded by flowers. It's hard to beat a refreshing swim after a hot day visiting the temples!
* The open air restaurant.
* Location is off the beaten track so peaceful and quiet.
* Staff at reception were cheerful and friendly.
* Proximity to stupas. Turn right as you leave the hotel and within 10 minutes on foot you are next to clusters of small and crumbling stupas. For me these are more atmospheric that the larger restored temples.
What's poor?
* Rooms are dark, could do with better lighting and a makeover.
* Bathrooms could be modernised, however water was always hot.
* Breakfast looked good but food which should be hot was warm or cold.
* Staff at buffet breakfast were surly.
* Had one evening meal there. Service was a disaster! Several waiters were involved yet orders were mixed up. Some people waited over an hour for their dish to arrive. Inexcusable as the restaurant was not busy. Sorting out the payment took far too long. When it did arrive the food was good but expensive. Management should reduce the waiters and increase the kitchen staff.
* Location is out of the way so a 15 minute walk to the main restaurant area along dark uneven lanes is required. Turn left as you leave the hotel grounds.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Northern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Lovely quaint resort with a very nice pool close to old Bagan. All of Bagan is a very small area of 7 sq miles so do not worry about the location. In fact there is more to see outside of the old area and did not see any advantage to staying there. We checked out the hotels on the river and did not feel we were missing anything. We Highly recommend this hotel and felt it a bargain for approximately $45 a night ( we did not book it ourselves so have no idea of the final price). Outdoor patio Buffet Breakfast with enough choices to satisfy even vegan or vegetarian eaters. If you bike 2 miles to old Bagan, rent your bike early in the day as the good ones go fast. Yes, they are $.50 more than down the road. The internet is free if you have your own device, otherwise it is $1.00 for 30 min. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

When planning my Myanmar visit (just got back after two weeks of a wonderful trip!), I had heard warnings of overbooked hotels and flights, so had used the services of a local tour operator. When he gave me a listing of my hotels, I checked these out on tripadvisor wand was dismayed at some of the reviews of Kaday Aung on this site. It was too late to ask for a change though, so I just braced myself.

What a pleasant surprise! I found the place totally charming and the service always gracious and smiling. (I can't believe the reports of rudeness.) They were prompt with wake-up calls, reconfirmed my flight, and my room was always spotless and made-up after a day out. The grounds had an almost Bali-like feel to them, and after a long day of touring the temples, a fabulous but often hot and dusty experience, it was great to unwind in the gardens for an hour or so. I just had my breakfasts there so can't really comment about the food, as I always prefer to try out restuarants in any town I stay in. In fact, the only reason I don't give this hotel 5 stars is its distance from the town proper, making it a little inconvenient to explore local eateries and shops.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights. Our booking through Agoda was honored without any problems, but as we were checking in we overheard two other couples who had trouble with their Agoda reservation. In one case they were downgraded to a standard room , in the other case the guests had to pay their pre-paid room again.........
The rooms were old, without any charme and not very clean. The entire hotel needs a refresh as it looks very tired. The staff seems to enjoy hanging out in front of the lobby, but they are not very helpful and the mangement does not seem to care.
They have their own bycycle rental business, but the bikes are in terrible conditions (flat ties, no breaks..... ). For the same price you can get much better bikes outside the hotel.
The restaurant is just awful. The worst food I have had in a long time and the prices for dinner are very high by Bagan standards. Avoid it for breakfast (even if it is free) or dinner....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Not easy for us to rate this hotel.

The hotel is charming and we liked the location, New Bagan is the best place to stay in Bagan (only tourists in Old Bagan).
We had a standard room, they are simple and tired, maybe a little dark, but we liked the furniture.

I read that some people found that the swimming pool was green and dirty, it was not the case when we came, the swimming pool was clean and blue, and it was a real pleasure after a day of bicycle under the sun.

Breakfast is average.

The problem we had is that the hotel management is greedy and rude. We booked a superior room on Agoda, a prepaid service for 60 USD. When we arrived, the staff told us there is only one standard room available, no apology, looked like we were lucky to have a room (remember : the room was already paid for months).

We asked to be refund of the difference, normal isn't it ? To finally get something, we had to complain again and again, we saw the manager not less than 5 times in 2 days, and got finally partly refund.

As tourism is booming in Myanmar, many hotels change their price according to the demand, a very bad practice in my opinion. But in our case, it was a daylight robbery.

That's the reason of our rating, for 30 USD standard rooms are good value, but we payed 52 USD and spent too much time to fight with the hotel management.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chesham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I booked this Hotel via the Internet 6-7 weeks in advance after having read a few scare stories about accomodation being booked up solid in Myanmar. ( I quite often turn up & take a chance, particularly in S. E. Asia ).
I arrived in Nyaung U on the bus from Yangon, turning up earlier than I expected i.e. 04:45 a m & was pleasantly surprised to find that the bus company's ticket included a free transfer to my Hotel. Arriving at Kaday Aung so early I quite expected to have to wait a few hours for my room but I was quickly & efficiently installed & was able to take a much welcome hot shower. Breakfast commences at 06:00 a. m. so I was out exploring the sites before 7 a m
I only paid just over £26 a night for my room & that included breakfast which is a buffet so you can stoke up as much as you want.
The grounds of the hotel are beautifully planted, the pool looks inviting & I really liked the outdoor dining area. My room was obviously one of the cheaper ones with twin matress on the floor but nonetheless it was large & in a great position on a balcony. The water was always hot, the electricity never failed & the staff were absolutely charming. Bicycles can be hired for 1700 Kyat per day-not Mountain Bikes & no gears but perfectly adequate.
I am amazed that some reviewers seem to have had a negative experience here _maybe they paid a lot more than I did. There is a warning on your room door concerning keeping it shut to keep the Mozzies out but I should think one would naturally do that anywhere in Asia.
The walls to my room were only bamboo panels so you could be unlucky if you have noisy neighbours & my only real gripe was that I had some laundry done there & it cost a fortune!
Finally, I would say the Hotel is in a great situation on the edge of New Bagan, very peaceful & handy for cycling off towards Old Bagan but only 10 mins walk from the main drag.

Room Tip: have a good look on-line before you book. I think many people pay an awful lot more for a room that...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Kaday Aung Hotel? Share your experiences!