“Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aureum Palace Hotel & Resort Bagan

Save Saved
You added Aureum Palace Hotel & Resort Bagan to your Saves list
Aureum Palace Hotel & Resort Bagan
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Bagan Viewing Tower, Min Nanthu Village Nyaung Oo, Mandalay Division, Bagan, Myanmar   |
Ranked #3 of 31 hotels in Bagan
Shanghai, China
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Upon entering the hotel the view will take your breath away. The whole ground has this serene vibe to it and our room was very nice with plenty of space for a family of 4 with two young kids.

The viewing tower is, indeed, wonderful and we really enjoyed the surreal sight of this beautiful old city with thousands of pagodas during sunset with beer in one hand (although I have heard that the tower was the main reason why Bagan is not included as one of the UNESCO heritage sites - status it deserves).

Food was forgettable but the setting makes up for it.

I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

395 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

A beautiful hotel, A Palace. You realy feel like a King and Queen when you enter this magnificent building as will be your home for some days. We got a big villa facing the lake with a fantastic wiev some of the pagodas, there are many thousands. One sad thing there was not many guests in the hotel and the restaurang in the evening was VERY cold
so some heat lamps please for the guests. Thank you also for the Happy Hour drinks they tasted delicious. We recommend this hotel and stay a few days not only one.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

This resort had it all. From a wonderful large swimming pool, a tower to where you can see over 2000 pagodas, temples and monasteries. Staying in a villa with a view out of history of so many old pagodas. The location of our villa was perfect, with a huge living room, upstairs bedroom with a great shower and whirl pool bath. Two days was not enough. Really quiet as well and great dining around the swimming pool. They even offer happy hour!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a villa with the view of the pagodas and temples.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Aureum looks almost like a palace with it beautiful grounds and nearby temple views. My group and I stayed in two Orchid rooms and were thrilled upon check in to find the rooms looking more like small houses by Asia standards (separate buildings per room). Besides the sleeping area, there is a living room and a huge bathroom with separate toilet facilities and two sinks and tub too.

The infinity pool directly faces a few nearby temples so its a magnificent sight to see when you walk into the grounds. A lot of people ate dinner in front of the pool area in the evening to musicians playing and singing. The only thing that I might suggest for dinner is for the hotel to provide heat lamps in the winter time as it does get pretty chilly sitting outdoors at 13 degrees Celsius.

As a guest of the hotel...we got complimentary tickets to the Bagan viewing tower just next door and it was an excellent treat to go up to the towers in the early morning to see the sunrise and the hot air balloons hovering above the temples. Definitely a good option to do instead of taking a hot air balloon itself.
The spa was pretty good too. Great service.
Overall...had a nice stay here and would recommend this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

The setting and the views make this a place worth seeing. Beautiful grounds in an amazing setting surrounded by views of the lake and temples. Watching the balloon riders appearing over the temples in the early morning is a site I will never forget. All of Bagan is unbelievable, and this is a great place to see it from.

Stayed December 2013
Avignon, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We enjoyed this place allover and took the view mishaps with a smile as we were in Myanmar...and not in Hawaii where everything works and is probably Mafia owned as this was Junta owned...
Yes internet was slow, service needed a boost but all this in this context did not really matter and will improve over time...I feel sorry for some of the authors of the other reviews they have no clue of context..
We can recommend the hotel to the well seasoned travellers..Avoid the tower.. Take a Balloon ride, have dinner in "be kind to animals" excellent food.. and count the beautifull Pagodas...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

This was our first visit to Bagan and on entering the hotel's lofty lobby we were truly impressed. Our lakeside villa was a delight with a huge bedroom and sitting area. The bathroom was a good size and there was a separate toilet with its own basin and double doors beyond a dressing and wardrobe area. We had a little terrace with tables and two chairs which overlooked a beautiful vista of the lake and a couple of temples beyond. All just perfect. Or so it seemed.

Our first problem arose when, having booked a poolside table for dinner, my husband checked on the table on his way to a massage and discovered that there was no record of our reservation. When we arrived for dinner, the waiters had set us up with a table completely isolated from all the others. I queried this and it seemed to take ages for the staff to know how to solve the problem. I told them That we didn't want to feel like spare parts since it was not my fault that the booking had not been recorded. We did get the table we wanted in the end but it was a farce. We also noticed that in the vast area that adjoined the bar, there were far too few tables and chairs for the guests who were arriving for pre-dinner drinks. I was also confronted by one waiter with really bad BO.

When we finally did get our meal, it was, at best, mediocre and over-priced for the quality and amount we ate. My curry was very tepid but I couldn't be bothered to go through the hassle of sending it back.

We also encountered some problems in our room. There was very little drawer or shelf space and some areas of the bathroom looked tired and warn. The tap on the basin was wearing down to the base metal and some of the wood needed re-varnishing. The towels were hung on what was effectively a ladder, too far away to reach from the shower when there was plenty of room at the far end of the shower for a conventional shower rail.

We also had trouble opening our bedroom drapes which were supposes to be electronically operated but the handset did nothing.

We had major problems with wi-fi which was worse than slow and sometimes didn't work at all despite a booster in our room. I got up early the morning after we arrived to see if the wi-fi would work better in the business centre but on arrival I was told that the Business Centre didn't open until 9am. This was ridiculous as guests were generally leaving the hotel at this time to go sight-seeing. I then decided to go to the dining area for some breakfast. I was very disappointed with the unappetising display with which I was confronted. The area was so dark that I could barely see what I was selecting. There was a waffle iron and a griddle in the middle of the display but no chef to cook anything on them. A few squares of cold waffle and some Pancakes had been placed in front of the griddle - not tempting at all.

I took some fruit to the table and when the waitress came to collect my empty plate, I said it was fine to take it but that I would need another knife and fork. She then attempted to take the used set from my dirty plate and put them back on the table. I told her that I would like clean cutlery which never arrived.

I subsequently convened a meeting with the hotel Manager and his CEO and very politely told them about all the faults with the hotel. They were grateful for my comments and said they would attempt to rectify them.

I found the Reception staff rather vague and they really didn't seem to know to handle any sort of problem. Once again, a large part of the problem was the language barrier.

This could be a truly fabulous hotel but there is clearly a language problem and a much better staff training programme needs to be put in place if the hotel is to continue to flourish. The hotel has a gorgeous setting with a beautiful pool but it lacks good management at the top end. I do hope that my meeting will help put things right for future guests. I

Room Tip: The lake view villas are lovely with glorious views
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Aureum Palace Hotel & Resort Bagan? Share your experiences!