“Pay 4 stars (US 115 standard room) recieve 0 stars service !!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Toraja Heritage Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box 80 Rantepao-Tana, Rantepao, Indonesia   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Rantepao
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Pay 4 stars (US 115 standard room) recieve 0 stars service !!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2015

We stayed in this hotel 3 days.dec 23 till dec 25. It was horrible, the worst hotel during our 5 weeks trip in Indonesia. Even the accomodation in the middle of the jungle was better.
The rooms are without aircon, only a fan, so you better sleep outside your room because inside it's a sauna. Our room was full with flies a complete fauna. Before we went to bed i was busy for 30 minutes to kill all insects. The reception told us: I'm sorry but it's the raining season......we can't do anything for you.....yep". On christmas eve at 10 pm when we were just trying to sleep something hit my head. I turned on the light and saw a big cockroach next to our bed on the table lamp. (see picture) I catched him, went to the reception, showed the picture and they offer to spray the room with insectspray. Sorry we were in bed, so no you may not spray the room. We insisted to change the room another because this was absolutely rediculous and a dirty mess. Result: the thrust of an insect's stinger into my skin, (just below my eye) I had to visit a hospital (Royal Taruma, Jakarta). Now 2 weeks later, though I was treated with medicins and unguent, I still have a red skin
During dinner my wife and I were the only 2 persons, but we had to wait for 20 minutes before the staff of the retaurant noticed us. In the end we had to ask if there's anybody who can serve us. After my massage in the massageroom I went to the toilet, with a big dead cockroach on the floor, and a stinky dirty toilet.
We can give you one BIG advice: Don't go here....you pay 115 US dollar !!! for a standard room (not the buildings/tongkanon houses on their website but just an ordinairy 2 floor building without elevator.
Maybe it was a good hotel in the old days, but now it's all history, and needs a massive cleanup

Leonard, Netherlands

Room Tip: No wifi in the room, only in the lobby but you better sit there, it's much cooler and it's l...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2014

We were told that this was the largest hotel in Rantepao. It was beautiful and luxurious especially for being in this remote area. The room was spacious and the bed very comfortable. They did run out of hot water one day when we tried to take a shower.

The breakfast which was included was very good, however the one dinner we ate there was terrible. I had a beef sate which was inedible. As many other reviewers recommended eat in town. The restaurant choices in Rantepao are not vast. I was surprised that for a tourist area there were not many good restaurants.

I also had quite a hard time paying my hotel bill. I had wired the hotel a deposit as they would not take a credit card. When I went to pay the remainder at check out with a credit card they didn't want to take that either. The hotel staff wanted me to pay in U.S. dollars which I wasn't prepared to do. I did have Raphia's but they kept asking me to pay in dollars. When I finally scraped up enough U.S. $$ they rejected three quarters of it because the $20 bills were too old or the wrong series. It took hours of back and forth before we finally settled the bill.

My recommendation to U.S. readers would be to take $50 and $100 bills to pay your hotel bill here. They told me that the exchange rate for $50 and $100 bills is better than for $20 bills. Also make sure that your bills are new and not ripped.

Other reviewers here have mentioned that the hotel is out of town. It actually isn't. It is up a long maybe 3/4 mile road and if you are so inclined you can walk to town from the hotel. If not you can take a taxi and it will take 5 minutes.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2014

This is a good, if not exceptional, hotel. The rooms are clean, bathroom in particular, and comfortable and the service very good and friendly. Breakfast was ok and dinner choice good. We found it very quiet and relaxing - the early morning roosters were in the distance! We enjoyed the massage, though I agree the massage area could do with some improvement. The pool is very good. This is probably the best hotel in Rantepao and we enjoyed our stay there but a few small improvements would help a lot.

Room Tip: Choice is between traditional at extra cost and standard which are fine
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
lfegana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Toraja Heritage Hotel from November 4th to the 7th of 2014. I must say that the place is certainly beautiful and obviously well-built and maintained. The rooms were very nice, although we had to pay for an upgrade to be at the Tongkonan style (traditional ancestral Toraja house), which is what would actually give the charm to the place. The staff was courteous, which is not surprising, though, as everyone in these fantastic parts is, and the room, as well as the public areas of the hotel were very clean and nicely maintained. Breakfast at the restaurant was very good, and dinner was fine. We had massages at the spa, and although the masseuses were very good and professional, the spa should be improved. In general terms, the hotel was very good, but noisy at night, which would be my main complaint. I believe that the isolation could use improvement, and it would benefit from the installation of air conditioners. Just to get the Tana Toraja, apart from the airports and plan rides, there is an eight to nine hour car/bus ride, which should end with a quiet nights rest, as well as the daily tour rides around this absolutely spectacular area of Sulawesi. Also, no wifi at our room

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to be in the Tonkkonans, which is what really gives the charm to the hotel. We p...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Kivik, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2014

The Toraja region is absolutely one of the most exiting and beautiful places in Sulawesi. The Toraja Heritage hotel is without any doubt as exceptional as the region. The whole hotel is build in the old Toraja style but with the highest standard. The rooms are big and beautiful, well equipped with WiFi, fridge, balcony and a nice bathroom. There is no AC and you don't need it as the climate in the Toraja is cool and dry due to the altitude.
The pool area is very nice and so is the bar and restaurant to. We stayed in the main complex and was not disappointed, we had a wonderful view over the surrounding landscape. The rooms in the small "Torajahouses" are just as nice but they don't have the same view.

Room Tip: Top level floor in the main building is the best I think.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

This hotel has a beatiful landscape, beautiful and spacious room, vintage and traditional, has a modern bathroom and standing shower. They doesn't have wifi at room, only at lobby. They have quite nice swimming pool. The breakfast is lack of choice and the taste is low. I gave four star for this because is located at Toraja, but if located at Makassar or other big city three star is enough for this hotel

Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Jakarta, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2014

The location and views are very good. Dirty outside pool. Some of the traditional houses are not in good conditions...... Night Open buffet is average but you can enjoy listening to the singer during the dinner.... Not recommend for local tourists cause the employee more like to serve foreign tourists

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Toraja Heritage Hotel? Share your experiences!