“good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Balikpapan

You added Novotel Balikpapan to your Saves list
Novotel Balikpapan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   JL Brigjen Ery Suparjan No 2, Balikpapan 76112, Indonesia   |
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Balikpapan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Indonesian first
Connah's Quay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Had the very great pleasure of staying here on business to bring our hard working pilots home after being based here for the last 3 months. Rooms fabulous! Staff amazing! Everything perfect! Hope,very much to return. X

Room Tip: Stay on the 8th or 9th floors. Executive rooms with access to exec lounge. Luxurious!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Balikpapan_novotel, Manager at Novotel Balikpapan, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear TFGJ

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Balikpapan. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Good location. Eateries and shopping complex nearby. In the heart of the city. Ocean seafood restaurant only 10 mins walk. There are many karaoke bars nearby as well. The closest money changer 15 mins walk.
Every Friday there is a BBQ buffet next to the pool. Go try it. The massage centre is pretty basic but good enough if you wanna relax or have aching body.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Joe,

Chelmsford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Had a pleasant stay in the hotel. Staff were helpful, and the food was perfectly fine . We had breakfast most days and there was more than enough choice. Sadly for the first few days the pool was out of action, so managed only a couple of swim sessions. The pool area and changing rooms are a touch dated, but that is being picky.
The location as others have pointed out, is central to the main part of town, and there is plenty of restaurants within walking distance, plus a reasonably modern shopping mall. There is a multiplex cinema there as well.
Our bathroom had this glass window, which was quite strange. The actual bath and shower was somewhat dated, and the suppose mat in the bath for slip avoidance actually created more slip issues than it solved. Truthfully not a set-up you expect in a top notch hotel.
The daily room cleaning, also left a little bit to be desired, on occasions we had to ask for toilet and tissue paper, which seemed odd. Plus the toiletries were not always replaced as they should have been.
There were three lifts, one seemed regularly out of order whilst we were staying there, and there really seemed to be a problem with the 7th floor button, the number of times it bypassed was just annoying. Simple put the lifts were slow, and not really efficient enough.
Asdl was available in the room, but I am now a tablet and smart phone user, so had to access wifi in the lobby, which again I am afraid was behind the mark for a business hotel.
I stayed on a special deal, and upon checkout which we were time tight for catching the plane, I really did have a problem in getting my point that several days of my stay had been pre.paid and indeed included breakfast.
I will say the front desk staff were charming at all times, but just so frustrating. I am still working with the hotel whether they should refund me, or indeed as they claim I owe them.
When asking for my bags to be brought down from my room before I went to breakfast, imagine my horror to discover that it had not been done. Again this is billed as a top business hotel.
Would I stay again, yes I would, because the staff are really pleasant. I would just know to ask and ensure the attention to detail needs a reminder. For the future if I pre pay, then I shall address that with the manager at the beginning .

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Balikpapan. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Brighton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Overall this is a really good, modern business hotel with friendly staff. The location is as very central, lobby, restaurants and food about as good as you would expect. The rooms were better than I'd expected - very fresh and modern, in good order. My only real gripe is with the gym. It's a good gym but the air conditioning isn't up to the job. If this is important, choose another hotel. The other issue I had was with some of the front of house staff whose English is almost non-existent and knowledge of the Accor Hotels loyalty scheme was plain wrong! Most staff in the hotel, however, are excellent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Brighton

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services and our english language

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Hotel is located very near to the centre of Balikpapan. It is within 10 mins walk to a decent shopping centre so finding food is not an issue. About 20 mins drive from the airport.
The Superior King room that we had was spacious and clean. Bathroom can be seen from the bed area via a glass panel. I did find the shower temperature hard to control. I was also unable to control the temperature of the aircon. Free internet (lan cable) is provided in each room.
I like the layout of the pool and the view from the elevator was stunning. Did not like the fact that one elevator always seems to be 'down' around lunch time. Not sure if this was because hotel was trying to save power or if there was a genuine problem but this obviously led to longer waiting time. There is a small 'playground' for kids at the lobby.
Overall, it is one of the better hotels in Balikpapan.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Balikpapan_novotel, Manager at Novotel Balikpapan, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Mr. Winston,

Warmest Regards,

Management

Been to Novotel Balikpapan? Share your experiences!