“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ajmer Bungalow

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ajmer
Ajmer Bungalow
Deepak Vihar, Ajmer 305001, India   |
Ranked #2 of 47 Ajmer B&B and Inns
Delhi
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We had a wonderful two night stay in Ajmer Bungalow. Food, hospitality, building and garden were all wonderful. The food was really very good and such a treat to sit on the verandah overlooking the garden during the day and at night sipping a drink by the fire.

Only problem is that the place is so relaxing we did not manage to get out very much and see more of the surrounding area!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Pune, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I would have loved to stay for another 2-3 days at this charming old haveli doing nothing in the wordly sense but just lolling in the front verandah in the easy arm chair, reading (collection of 1000 + books to choose from) and sipping my coffee, getting up only to devour delicious food cooked by the gracious host, Mr Naveen Capoor!
And thats exactly what I planned to do in my next visit to Ajmer.

At Ajmer bungalow, also known as Deepak Vihar one gets transported to an era of old rajput regal lifestyle. One can get a peek into fast fading or faded haveli culture of tehzeeb and ada. My friend and I, enjoyed our stay thoroughly. Naveen made sure we were looked after well and arranged for everything including a khadim who took us to the dargah, a taxi for a day's trip to Pushkar, tips on various historical sites and shopping. Not to forget a packed breakfast for our train journey back home! This homestay has 3 rooms in the main house and one room in the annexe. Our room (with a double bed) was comfortable with a clean bathroom and an ante room. We paid Rs 3000 per night including breakfast and delicious 5 course meals were charged at Rs 400 per person for veg and Rs 500 for non veg fare. We got to taste some exotic indian and western dishes like Jungalee gosht, irish lamb stew, kababs, Kachhe tamatar ki subzee ( raw tomatoes), rajashthani gatte ki subzee, baingan bharta, green peas samosas, kheer, stewed guava served with cream. We enjoyed these "gourmet" evenings spent chatting with other guests staying at the haveli.

Most of the touristic places are accessible by auto rickshaws ( no 5 & 7). These are govt run rickshaws and one can reach Dargah sharif or Soni ji ki Nasiyan in Rs 7 - 10. Private rickshaws (without any number ) charge more.

All in all a wonderful , relaxing stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My mother, sister and I visited the Ajmer Bungalow in February 2013. While this was my 6th visit, it was the first for my mother and sister. Both of them liked the appealing atmosphere and more so the great company of Naveen (a friend, a former senior IAS officer dropped by and regaled us) and the food, especially the Irish mutton stew.

One observation was that the bungalow had a large front and back garden. A bit more upkeep of the green areas and the verandah of the bungalow would be appreciated by guests. Overall a good experience as always.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

In addition to falling in love with Ajmer, a town in Rajasthan pregnant with splendid architecture, Mughal sites, and not to mention an incredible pilgrimage sight at the Dargah Sharif, i came to love to tranquil feeling of this very well designed bungalow. The house is large and calm, hosting one of the most delightful gardens. The entire space is brimming with tempting books to read, right up to your nightstand. Though we stayed here in January, we still felt warm thanks to the plentiful cozy sheets and electric heaters, and very hot water. A freshly made breakfast cooked to order was served when we were up and the hosts offered to make tea and coffee in the evening. Unlike many other establishments in India, this place looks and feels beautiful without feeling stiff in the least. The bungalow has a unique feel to it where one really feels like they live here, and yet has all the help and perks of being a guest. The place is run by wonderful people and we felt far more like house-guests (though with full privacy) than hotel visitors. I initially stayed here in order to visit Ajmer but I have a feeling that my trip back will also be to enjoy a quite retreat behind the colorful plants of the Ajmer bungalow. It's also nicely located - a quick rickshaw ride from the hustle and bustle of the Dargah Sharif and marketplace, but very close to the bus stand.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ahmedabad, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

I have visited not less than 5 such home stays in Rajasthan and I must say this has really appealing old charm about the place and decor, but can be rated as amongst the worst for hospitality..hence the question, is this Rajasthan? Beautiful and one of the most hygienic places, great books stacked around the house, 'bijli' the dog scared the living daylight out of my 2 yr old daughter, but the 8 yr old, our friends and we had a very relaxing stay here. The wait in the morning for the breakfast was so long that at one point the hunger got the best of our kids and we were not sure if there was going to be a breakfast or not. When it came, it was fabulous! Thanks to our dear friends who know the owner because of which we got a little bit of discount, otherwise the price is slightly steep for the location! Next time, greenhouse resort or ananta resort in puskar instead of ajmer!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Berkeley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We had a mixed experience here so it's difficult to assign a rating. This home stay is the second home of a Delhi family, and, although there is some charm to the place, (a) the owner wasn't there when we arrived, and his staff speak no English, and (b) the dinners are very expensive (400 rupees). We had difficulty communicating with the staff - for example, we were given no breakfast the first morning, and they finally threw something together after we communicated that breakfast is included. The owner, son, and daughter arrived the second day, and we enjoyed talking with them, and they provided useful tips for touring and also arranged a driver for us. But the room rate seems high for the room quality, and the dinner price was just too expensive even though some of the dishes were delicious. I wouldn't recommend staying here if the owner isn't there -- and find a restaurant for at least some dinners, even if it means a walk into town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Shillong, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Ajmer Bungalow, to my opinion, is highly overrated. The room is, of course, nice with a old world charm. It is a small property with a few rooms. The rooms and the washroom was very clean. There are lot of different types of books stacked around, to cater to people of different taste. This far it is fine.

The problem is service. On reaching after a tiring journey, we asked for two cups of tea, and we were shown a common place outside the rooms where a electric kettle (whose indicator lamp does not glow even when it is put on), sugar, milk powder, coffee were all put along. So we made our own coffee and went to visit the Dargah. On our return, we asked as to what will be available for the dinner - and we were told that we had not told them for dinner earlier, and so the same could not be provided. We had reached the place quite a few hours back, and no one bothered to ask as to whether we would take any dinner. When I got a bit irritated, the person agreed to cook whatever was available. And, we had no option but to agree to the same. The food was a nice home cooked one. The bill was Rs 1500/- for rice, dal, a tomato curry, and a chicken curry for dinner (for me, my wife, and my six years old daughter), and a breakfast of one aloo paratha each for me and my wife.

This also happens to be the only place that I visited in Rajasthan, and did not see a smiling face welcoming the guest in. When I was leaving for the Dargah, I realized that the room had no key - in fact there was a lock but no key was provided to us - so I latched the room and told the person around about the same, strangely he did not even acknowledge the same.

To be fair on the owner, it is a good place with a old world charm (could have been maintained much better, at least the outside and the garden) with lots of books and chairs to sit and read those, but the people managing and serving the guests will benefit from a course on hospitality (especially when all the places I visited in Rajasthan, and I visited quite a few, are so hospitable).

I am surely not visiting this place again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ajmer Bungalow? Share your experiences!