“Best property in Gulmarg!!” 5 of 5 stars

The Khyber Himalayan Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   near gondola, Gulmarg 193403, India   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Gulmarg
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
“Best property in Gulmarg!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This will rate as one of the best properties in a hill station. Five star deluxe hotel with very nice and luxury rooms. Food and hospitality was also of top class. Ask for rooms with balcony as they have outstanding views of the Himalayan range. Very close to the gondola from where you go to khilanmarg. Only missing thing was Kashmiri cuisine.

• Stayed May 2013
KhyberHotels, General Manager at The Khyber Himalayan Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Khyber Himalayan Resort & Spa.
I am glad that you had a good overall stay and appreciated the rooms as well enjoyed the food. I am delighted to know that you got the opportunity to enjoy the views of the Himalayas from the resort.

The entire team looks forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Kashmir.

Thank you again for your positive recommendation of our resort as “the best property in Gulmarg”.

Alex Koshy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Bhubaneswar, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

this property being a member of the SLH group boasts of excellent infrastructure, like other SLH properties. however there are some major flaws too ! we stayed for 3 days in end of may 2013 in balcony room no. 2019 - first floor. the property is located slightly above the Gondola boarding station gate which is past the taxi stand with horses blocking the main road leading to the property. Secondly the most annoying factor is that the management has installed mobile phone jammers high up on a pine tree which works by blocking all mobile phones & wifi above the lobby level; in spite of full signal one cannot make or receive calls. This has been done so that the guests staying in the property use the room telephone & pay the inflated long distance charges. The mobile phone operators whose fake full signal one will receive when within the hotel are Aircel, Airtel & Cellone (BSNL POSTPAID).

The staff are also over worked & work beyond their normal shift hours & with no lift in the property, it is really physically challenging for them too especially in peak season ! The spa & swimming pool are not yet ready but noise levels for the on-going construction activity during day time is low, hence that's tolerable.

the f&b options for veg & non-veg are limited & highly priced, however the food is tasty. waffle counter missing in the breakfast hall & buffet lunch & dinner are prices @ 1600/- per person but with a limited spread. the kava served in the lobby is excellent but not the original Kashmiri kava as its without tea leaves ! the room temperature cannot be increased beyond 24 deg C and that's a problem for kids who would like to sleep at 27 deg C, the most comfortable temperature. in-room digital temperature controller though is of high quality and at par with other SLH properties like Wild Flower Hall of Oberoi above Shimla !

Presently the best in Gulmarg, hence full occupancy.. and since its a new property the minor issues should hopefully be sorted out soon ! Getting your own vehicle & keeping it with you will help as car hire options are limited too !

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with Mountain View. Some Rooms have a forest view which consists of basically pine &am...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
KhyberHotels, General Manager at The Khyber Himalayan Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

We have noted your displeasure with regards to the inconvenience you had because of the crowd of pony operators outside the Gondola station. This is peak season in Kashmir and thousands of visitors travel to Gulmarg every day and hence the rush. However, we have highlighted the same to the Tourism department on several occasions and have been informed that some proactive steps are being implemented to organize the system of pony rides. We hope that the Jammu & Kashmir Government will soon come up with a solution that is in the best interest of the tourists.

Your feedback that we have installed mobile jammers to prevent our guests from using their mobile phones is absolutely wrong. We are in the business of hospitality and we endeavor to create memories for our guests and not penalize them by restoring to such unethical business practices. The hotel has rather invested a large amount to install mobile boosters to enhance mobile connectivity. The whole hotel is WiFi enabled. Only post-paid roaming numbers don’t work in Jammu & Kashmir.

Commissioning of elevators in the resort is in progress and I agree that working without lifts has its own challenges considering the location and high altitude. The same will be resolved soon. However, the team is not overworked. We work as per the demand and I take pride in working with a team who is highly passionate and work to ensure our guests feel at home.
I am glad that you liked the food in the resort. Your feedback regarding variety of options on the buffet and prices has been noted. We have an opportunity to analyze and come up with solutions in the best interest of our guests.

We are disappointed to know that we were unable to leave an impact during your stay and you did not have as good an experience as our other guests have had in the past.

Kindly contact me personally at alex.koshy@khyberhotels.com whenever you plan your next holiday in Gulmarg as I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us. I look forward to hearing from you and in the interim; we remain at your service.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed at the Khyber Hymlayan resort and spa at Gulmurg for 2 nights recently. I went with no expectations but the hotel turned out a big and pleasant surprise. One of the best hotels/resort i have been in. (have visited many all over the world).The service is impeccable. the food v delicious and varied. The terraced garden and manicured lawns were a treat for sore eyes. The staff are more like hosts than hotel staff.The View from he balcony rooms is awesome and mind-blowing.near paradise.
Mr. Mithun at the front desk was an epitome of courtesy and helpfulness. Wonderful experience. I cannot rate it more as there are no more dots above. wish you all the best and see you soon. Will come back

Room Tip: pick the room with the balcony mountain view. you will not leave your balcony.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. Encouraging feedback from guests like you drives us to constantly improve our standards.

It is heartening to receive your appreciation for the overall layout, services and food. It gives me immense pleasure to note that the staff left such a positive impact on you during the stay. Your encouraging feedback will be shared with the team who works very hard to create special memories for guests with personalized service.

All of us look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Gulmarg.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is just less then 2 hours away from Srinagar Airport. The staff was welcoming & helpful. We had a premier room with a very modern bathroom. The hotel is yet to finish its pool, fitness & spa facilities. I would say to them, with such wonderful property & location, they should brace themselves to give some world-class services. The staff at front desk works fine, but still got to do more in terms of english language & most importantly to have a hold on the neighbour-gondola rides. Breakfast was not bad, they should change the menu on daily or alternate basis. I would definitely recommend to stay in this beautiful Hotel with family.
My request to the management of this hotel, to do their extra bit to make this a class hotel, rather then run-of-the-mill hotel. It deserves to be in a league of its own due to its location & architecture. You have won the first round but still long way to go.

Room Tip: better balcony view in rooms in odd number in premier category.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
KhyberHotels, General Manager at The Khyber Himalayan Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking time to share the details of your experience.

I am very happy to know that you were impressed with the design and layout of the resort. Your comments regarding the rooms and service are truly appreciated.

On the other hand, we thank you for sharing your suggestion about adding more variety in the breakfast menu and assure you that we will analyse and come up with solutions in the best interest of our guests.

We thank you once again for your time and look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Gulmarg.

Indore, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

fanatastic location....well designed public and private spaces...good facilities.....good food but very heavily priced should stress on serving local cuisines also...rather than the regular punjabis cusine.........all staff appeared new thats way services and other managerial affairs not upto the mark.....housekeeping staff on floor was good and hard working.....staff response overall ok...but courteous staff....sometimes appeared confused and could not take decesions.....well dressed and mannnered staff at all levels........ good concept to have doctor inhouse but he charged us rs200 for his visit had no idea regarding this..................now are bad expirences.....in our two day stay our rooms mcb must have tripped at least ten times and the last one was at twelvepm at night...though th estaff was sincerely working on no issues regarding that but the issue is that with all the technicalities available they could not understand and control the sitituation....which was really very irritaating we had asked teh manager to change our rooms but they were not willing to do so and they continued our stay despite not resolvingthe problem fully that was a bad gesture on teh part of management...and also no compilimentaries were served to us in form of compensations................and no elevators were there.....no floor phones to connect to reception was available.........corridors were stinking whenever it was raining outside....informed teh managers and floor house keeping concerns...........wooden floor in toilets an d wet corridor was very slippery and would lead to major maintanance in future for teh hotel management.....the glass concept was a poor thought......and several minor issues related to planning an d maintenence must be seriously seen by the hotel managements.......

Room Tip: opt for balcony rooms facing the snow capped mountains....
Dear Guest,

I am glad that you were impressed with the location of the resort. Your comments regarding facilities and food are truly appreciated.

However, it is disheartening to know that we were unable to leave an impact during your stay and you did not have as good an experience as guests have had in the past. Together with the entire team, I have gone through your detailed feedback and addressed the issues related to lapses in service. Understandably, these incidents have spoilt what could have been a great experience and you have not left happy.

We are certain that if given an opportunity we will be able to change your opinion about the resort and create pleasant memories for you to cherish. Please do write to me at alex.koshy@khyberhotels.com whenever you plan to visit Gulmarg next and I will be glad to personally handle all the arrangements for you.

Mumbai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

When I entered the hotel, I was greeted by a lousy guard who was not willing to pull out the luggage from the boot of my car. This just set the tone of the entire experience at this hotel. The front desk staff conveniently told me that I should have given them a call from the toll point for them to arrange for someone to pull out the luggage. I had a taken the basic room that costed 20k. No airport transfers or breakfast is included in the room fares. The room was small, I would say congested for the price I was paying. The bathroom was cluttered as well with a really small bath tub. The only positive about the hotel was the interiors. The carpets, woodwork, blanket seemed to be authentic kashmiri stuff. The view from the hotel is pretty average. All you can see from the room is a few pine trees. All in all, a below average room size and outside room view for a luxury 5* tourist hotel. The service is even worse. The phone in my room was not working, so was the DTH connection, the mini-bar was empty and the safe locked. I asked for a toothbrush in the morning that arrived after 45minutes. A DVD player which is available in the hotel never arrived in my 3 days of stay even after I asked for it repeatedly. The service was really poor with the staff taking 40minutes to make up the room when they came 30 minutes after being called. In short, the service is disappointing to the say the least. The hotel is absolutely not worth the pice. Avoid if you dont want to spoil your holiday.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
KhyberHotels, General Manager at The Khyber Himalayan Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to review your overall experience at The Khyber Himalayan Resort & Spa. Guest feedback is integral to our quest for service excellence.

Kindly allow me to personally extend my apologies for the disappointment you experienced with our product and services.Rest assured that in my follow up with our team, I have stressed the importance of ensuring that all guest requests are taken care of with great precision to prevent such future repeat occurrences and guest dissatisfaction.

This is certainly not indicative of the service levels that we pride ourselves on and we hope that you are able to forgive us for our shortcomings.

I was hugely disappointed to receive your feedback when I personally met you in the hotel and tried doing my bit to ensure you enjoyed the remainder of your stay with us. I am glad you appreciated our gesture of upgrading your room to the next higher category and for organizing a private movie show for you and your family at the Den, our private movie theatre. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the last dinner in the hotel with our compliments.

Kindly contact me personally at alex.koshy@khyberhotels.com whenever you plan your next holiday in Gulmarg as I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us. I look forward to hearing from you and in the interim, we remain at your service.

newdelhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Situated in Gulmarg, Kashmir, this hotel was a 2.5 hour drive from Srinagar. The property is beautiful and a lot of wood has been used in its construction. The rooms facing the snow-covered mountains have a much better view so do specify in advance at the time of booking, else you might regret getting the other view. Although I was under the assumption, thanks to my travel agent, that there was a working spa, beauty salon and pool, I was a bit disappointed that these services have not yet begun and are still under construction and might start only from September 2013. I was looking forward to a relaxing time using the spa services and their indoor heated pool, but I guess that will have to wait for my next trip. Also, they can do a better job with the garden- there were hardly any flowers in bloom. The food is excellent- breakfast buffet, lunch and dinner, despite just one restaurant. The staff is very courteous, helpful and friendly. On reaching, we were served an excellent kashmiri kahwa. They have a small section in the lobby called 'chaikash' which is a station to serve all-day coffee, tea, snacks etc. and I enjoyed the lovely hot chocolate every day of my trip here. The hotel does not have a bar. Overall, a lovely hotel built in a beautiful region, surrounded by a view of snow-capped mountains. Away from the scorching 45 degrees heat of my hometown Delhi, it was a lovely change with perfect weather. Definitely recommend Khyber to all visiting Gulmarg

Room Tip: specify that you want the room facing the snow-covered mountains, at the time of booking.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
KhyberHotels, General Manager at The Khyber Himalayan Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking time and reviewing the experience during your recent stay at The Khyber Himalayan Resort & Spa, Gulmarg.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are also pleased to receive your compliments on the overall layout of the resort and quality of food. Positive feedback and appreciation from guests like you is very encouraging and motivates us to constantly improvise to create memories for our guests. I have shared your comments with the entire team and they are all delighted. Your suggestion about the garden has been noted. Please be assured that our facilities specific to the spa and the gym will be operational soon.

Thank you once again for your recognition and we hope to have the pleasure of your continued visits to our resort.

Alex Koshy

Been to The Khyber Himalayan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!