“A unique Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 2 Attractions in Gweru
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Known as one of Southern Africa’s “most intriguing destination”, and awarded The Green Trophy for the Environmental Award, First Runner Up Best Safari Camp Tented and Second Runner up in The Best Self Catering category at the 2013 AZTA Awards ( Association Of Zimbabwe Travel Agents.) We were also nominated for “Zimbabwe’s Private Leading Game Reserve” in the World Travel Awards.Antelope Park is home to the world famous African Lion and Environmental Research Trust (ALERT) lion rehabilitation programme, which is a multi-phase lion conservation initiative. It is Africa’s first genuine programme working to ethically re-introduce the offspring of captive-bred African lions back into the wild.The Park also welcomes guests and eco-tourists to its stunning campsite; a haven of tranquillity set in the African bush. Visitors can enjoy the relaxed environment as well as participate in the vast array of world-class activities offered at the Park, including lion walks, elephant rides and walks, game viewing, fishing, and many more. Antelope Park, home to Animal Planet’s popular wildlife series “Roaring with Pride”, with over 3 million viewers and airing in 33 different countries. Antelope Park have been the subject of a major UK TV wildlife documentary “LION COUNTRY” and the Park has also featured in a number of other wildlife shows including “Karina: Wild on Safari”. Our 14 part series called “Roaring with Pride” filmed at our park is still featuring on Animal Planet explaining in depth how our organisation is helping to save the future of the African Lion.
Gweru, Zimbabwe
25 attraction reviews
“A unique Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Got to walk with lions, unrestrained. Though the lions were young, they were quite big. The mixture of excitement and danger made it all worthwhile.
The facilities are top notch, the environment is serene, the food is great. love it love it love it.

Visited April 2013
Antelope_Park_Zim, Public Relations Manager at Antelope Park, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear BIllMoyanne,

A very big thank you for your great review! So glad you enjoyed our hospitality and you absolutely loved your experience. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to all relevant departments. We welcome you back again soon and hope you can partake in some of our other exciting activities on offer!

Lauren - Marketing

Sydney, Australia
9 attraction reviews
“Awesome experience but Rug up at night- Very cold”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

What a wonderful experience. I thoroughly enjoyed my time here despite the very cold nites I spent in my tent. So if you go make sure you go to the laundry and borrow the free blankets as you will need it.... I ideally would like to see all wild animals in the wild being free. However with the way the world is at the moment, places like this do serve a purpose... Hopefully people who visit this park will be so inspired to fight for our animals thus saving them in the end.... I have been on a lot of wildlife tours and some are just purely commercial and don't think about the animals at all, but this wasn't the case. Nothing better than waking up to roaring lions at 4am in the morning I say... Its a must go...

Visited July 2012
Dear CindyAussie,

Thank you very much for your very positive review and I can definitely relate to feeling the cold here in Gweru as I live here permanently - extra blankets are an absolute gift! Hopefully your next visit can be in summer!
It is fantastic that you understand our program and objectives to save the African Lion and we appreciate your interest and support towards it.
I have to agree, there is nothing better than waking up to the sound of lions roaring and this morning I was lucky enough to be woken up by that, the beams of the Super Moon and a fish eagle calling - great Monday start and I am very blessed to be here!

Thanks again and really hope you can join us again at Antelope Park soon!

Lauren - Marketing
“Best time of my life.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

I went to antelope park last year and spent a month there and I do not understand these negative reviews. It's a beautiful place to start with and the people are incredibly friendly.
The lions are treated beautifully and are definitely bred for re-release, not so they can be `patted` as previously said. They are encouraged to he as wild as possible to give them the best chance of survival when they are left to there own devices in stage 2. They need more room to develop stage 3 and they need more money to do this but they are getting there with it and when it does happen they will have a fully wild pride of lions that will be ready for release into the wild.
I admire what people at ALERT are doing and I intend to go back as soon as I have the money.

Visited June 2012
Antelope_Park_Zim, Public Relations Manager at Antelope Park, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear SamanthaMountford,

Thank you very much for your very positive review. We are delighted you had the opportunity to spend time at Antelope Park and we are grateful for your contribution towards the survival of the African Lion. It is fantastic that you understand and support our goals in the ALERT program and we hope that you can come back soon and join us!

We look forward to having you at Antelope Park again in the future!

Lauren Mallett
Marketing Manager
Melbourne, Australia
“The best thing I have ever done!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Antelope Park is truly an amazing experience, and is the best thing I have ever done. I was at Antelope Park for a month as a lion rehabilitation project volunteer. At first I was hesitant about the project, but all of my concerns were unnecessary. Everything I did at Antelope Park was amazing. There wasn’t a dull moment, from going on lion walks, visiting the town and orphanages to even cleaning lion enclosures. The program itself is well run, and I cannot express my support for it enough. The lions and elephants are well cared for, and the project gives so much support to the local community. Everyone working for Antelope Park and ALERT are very kind and helpful, not to mention very funny and we shared quite a few laughs! All of the locals are also very kind and it was a great experience to be able to immerse myself in the Zimbabwean and Shona peoples (local peoples) culture. I especially loved getting to know the personalities of each of the stage 1 lions I worked with, and playing with the kids at the orphanages on Saturdays. It amazed me how happy and full of life these kids are, and they always managed to put the biggest smile on my face! I will hopefully be returning to Antelope Park again soon, and encourage you to do the same :)

Visited January 2013
Antelope_Park_Zim, Manager at Antelope Park, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Asher610,

A very big thank you for your review and we are so happy that you had such a positive and uplifting experience here at Antelope Park. I will pass on all your kind words to all the staff members and we really do hope to see you back here again soon! Thank you very much for your contribution to the survival of the African Lion and of course, the positive developments you contributed towards within our communities!

All the best!

Kind regards,
Lauren - On behalf of Antelope Park
Wollongong, Australia
“The best experience of my life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I just want to encourage anyone thinking about going that they definitely should not think twice about it! Going to Antelope Park was the best experience of my life! It was incredible! I was there for three weeks as a volunteer in the lion rehabilitation program. The people there were amazing. Getting to know the staff, who are mostly locals, was truly rewarding. I learnt so much about the culture in Zimbabwe and how no matter what happens, they always have a smile on their faces. Being with the lions was the most rewarding experience ever. Each lion had their own personality and I was always keen on interacting with them further to see how they were going to behave each day! I worked with Dala and Dingani, Rhizizi and Rhuvubu who were 5 month old cubs. I really miss them a lot. I'm hopping to go back next year and see the cubs I worked with all grown up! This is truly an experience of a lifetime and you should not miss out!!

Visited January 2013
Antelope_Park_Zim, Public Relations Manager at Antelope Park, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear lilysophiaful,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our page. We are absolutely thrilled you had such a positive experience and we have no doubt you had a positive impact on the projects and people here as well! We are so grateful we get to live amongst one of the best cultures in the world and are so glad you were able to share that too. We are very appreciative of your contribution towards the survival of the African Lion and we look forward to seeing you here again soon!

Kind regards,